PDA

View Full Version : German shefferd dog is a very intelligent in all the Dog's world

suntrack2
2008-Mar-23, 05:03 PM
I heard from my nephew, when I asked him how you draw this conclusion, he said that he saw in one television program, how that dog was beaufitully following his owner's commands.
The conversation and giving commands to the non-speaking spacies on the earth is a very great and real work, do you think that "in all the birds on the earth which particular is intelligent ".

babbling..

:)

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-23, 05:10 PM
My dog's a German Shepperd, too. She's reasonably intelligent- she always runs to the door if she sees me with my binoculars at night, because she knows that I'm going out to observe.

suntrack2
2008-Mar-23, 05:25 PM
you have endorsed it nicely, your experience clearly indicates that they are really intellingent, but I think the intelligent dogs are normally "barks" less, why ?

novaderrik
2008-Mar-24, 01:55 AM
German Shepherds tend to be very intelligent. my theory for this is that most of the "wolf" is still in them, and hasn't been bred out in favor of the "cute" traits that most people look for in a dog.
they make good dogs for police work due to their intelligence, willingness to please their "pack leader", and intimidating build. and they can be very good with kids, as well.
i grew up with a Shepherd named Mac that i saw do some amazing things- like disarming the crazy drugged out hippie next door that was chasing his drugged out hippie wife across our yard with a large knife.. Mac jumped on him and stayed on him until the cops showed up-the whole time, he had that "look what i did" look on his face, and the guy he was laying on had that "oh, crap, i need new underwear" look on his face and his wife had that "where am i and what's going on?" look on her face.. 100 pounds of angry Shepherd will make any criminal think twice about what they are doing.
but Mac was a gentle giant around all the kids that were around when my mom was doing daycare. he even kept the kids corralled away from the street and let them use him as a jungle gym.

Neverfly
2008-Mar-24, 02:16 AM
Of course it still varies just as it does in humans.

Border Collies are supposed to be intelligent dogs. I have one. And she's a brick with four legs.

DOOMMaster
2008-Mar-24, 03:38 AM
German Shepherds tend to be very intelligent. my theory for this is that most of the "wolf" is still in them, and hasn't been bred out in favor of the "cute" traits that most people look for in a dog.
they make good dogs for police work due to their intelligence, willingness to please their "pack leader", and intimidating build. and they can be very good with kids, as well.
i grew up with a Shepherd named Mac that i saw do some amazing things- like disarming the crazy drugged out hippie next door that was chasing his drugged out hippie wife across our yard with a large knife.. Mac jumped on him and stayed on him until the cops showed up-the whole time, he had that "look what i did" look on his face, and the guy he was laying on had that "oh, crap, i need new underwear" look on his face and his wife had that "where am i and what's going on?" look on her face.. 100 pounds of angry Shepherd will make any criminal think twice about what they are doing.
but Mac was a gentle giant around all the kids that were around when my mom was doing daycare. he even kept the kids corralled away from the street and let them use him as a jungle gym.

Wow, I had a female German Shepherd named Brandywine that was just like this growing up. I used to swear that she was a person in a dog's body. She was the perfect dog with the family, protecting me and my brother and sister from just about anything, but she would never harm us in any way. When we would cry as babies she used to put her head in our lap to try to stop us and we'd smack the crap out of her head. She treated us like her own puppies. She never got ahold of any crazy hippies, but she did almost get the Cilco guy one day when my mom forgot to put her in the house. I don't think he ever came back after that.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-24, 04:40 PM
Comet's a great dog. She'd never let anything happen to me, although I do have some scars from when she was teething.

closetgeek
2008-Mar-24, 08:44 PM
Lol, I don't know where American Bulldogs are supposed to fall on the intelligence scale but mine are dumb as dirt. They bark frantically when a bird flies in front of our house, so I have to add an emphatic yes to the barking/intelligence statement. My uncle had a German Sheppard, Spike, who was approximately the same age as I. He, IMHO, was the most loyal, gentle, and loving dog I have ever seen. The only reason why I wouldn't get one is the hair. I have always picked dogs based on how they shed and Spikey shed ALOT.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-25, 09:34 AM
back in 2002, when i bought my house, my mom and brother got together and got me a female Shepherd puppy to run around on my acre of fenced in land.. i named her Shadow, since that was the name of my grandparent's female shepherd that was the mother of my childhood dog, Mac.
Shadow was probably smarter than most people i've ever met- and she was also great with kids. she grew into a 75 pound hyperactive hair shedder that could rip a muskrat in half (saw her do it once..) and run close to 40mph- i clocked her in my car once when she got out and i went out to find her...
the most amazing thing i ever saw her do, however, was when i brought her up to my mom's, and she saw the herd of cows out in the field- at about a year old, it was the first time she'd ever seen them- and she immediately ran out into the pasture as fast as she could, and within about 30 second, got a 30 adult cows and their 30 or so baby cows all corralled up in a 50 foot by 50 foot square "valley" (for lack of a better term) in the pasture that only had one way in and out.. once she was satisfied that they were where she wanted them, she came trotting back with her ears and tail up, panting like crazy, making sure that i saw what she had just done.. i think that's about the happiest i ever saw that dog..
but, alas, she died 2 years ago when she somehow managed to hang herself on the rope i had her tied on while i was at work one night..
when i get another house of my own, i'm going to that same breeder that Shadow came from and getting myself another runt Shepherd pup.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Mar-25, 11:59 AM
We had a couple German Shepherds when I was growing up. I'll definitely vouch for their protective nature and all the other positive traits mentioned above. So gentle with us kids, yet so extremely bent on protecting her "family."

I've seen a couple recent articles on newly identified intelligence levels of dogs in general, and especially of the working dogs. One I remember well was the Nat. Geog. spread. The theory is that they have gained much in intelligent behavior, more so than can be explained by evolution, possibly as a result of domestication and socializing with humans. If they could only tell us what they are thinking.

As an aside, saw the Underdog movie recently. Horrible movie, even for kids. Sometimes Disney just cranks out junk because they know that they can count on selling at least one ticket to nearly every kid in the land.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-25, 11:43 PM
I heard from my nephew, when I asked him how you draw this conclusion, he said that he saw in one television program, how that dog was beaufitully following his owner's commands.
The conversation and giving commands to the non-speaking spacies on the earth is a very great and real work, do you think that "in all the birds on the earth which particular is intelligent ".

babbling..

:)

They say it's the African Gray Parrot.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-26, 12:04 AM
My brother has a German Shepherd who's as sweet as he could be around my son (they do a lot of nose touches) but barks louder than snot when anyone is withen 10 feet of the house.

No one is robbing that house, or coming any closer, for that matter, unless they've been invited.

I'd like to say he listens in on my in-laws' phone conversations and can tell who's been invited or not by their sound of their footsteps, but that would be stretching things a bit...

suntrack2
2008-Mar-26, 05:07 PM
My brother has a German Shepherd who's as sweet as he could be around my son (they do a lot of nose touches) but barks louder than snot when anyone is withen 10 feet of the house.

No one is robbing that house, or coming any closer, for that matter, unless they've been invited.

I'd like to say he listens in on my in-laws' phone conversations and can tell who's been invited or not by their sound of their footsteps, but that would be stretching things a bit...

ofcourse, they have a little sense of humour, hence they do the imitation of other "full volume barking dogs", and act upon. Nothing to be worried about, I heard that they never bark at their owner. :) The pamerian is just little "shy" than the Gm.Shepherd.!! The bull dog least bark at the german shephard, because may be they are aware about the intelligence of the dog. I think the german shepherd is just like CEO(chief executive officer) of all dogs.!!!

The german shepherd dogs keeps least relevance to the other dogs.
Your reply is interesting. Now I am searching the information on "african gray parrot".

http://www.gsdca-wda.org/schutzhund.htm

farmerjumperdon
2008-Mar-26, 05:22 PM
They say it's the African Gray Parrot.

My mom had an African Gray. Thing talked up a storm. And even though I only visitied a couple times a year, he knew me, by sight and name. Very cool animal; and it outlived my mom to boot.

suntrack2
2008-Mar-26, 05:30 PM
My mom had an African Gray. Thing talked up a storm. And even though I only visitied a couple times a year, he knew me, by sight and name. Very cool animal; and it outlived my mom to boot.

wow, funtastic info on parrot, farmerjumperdon. I have seen many parrot speaking, those who are having this pet bird in their cage, especially the black strip on the neck saw speaking with that fellow, the parrot just call him "hi john, hi john, and ram ram.

My neighbours has 2-3 parrots, only one of them short speaker, but rest two are the loud-speakers. :)

Nice.