PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Fighting?

mugaliens
2008-Mar-26, 01:35 AM
I used to have great neighbors, both upstairs and down.

Now, all their replacements do is fight, and both work swing shifts, so I hear it going until three am.

I called the cops, they're here, now, interrogating them.

What wold you have done?

Back to bed.

Doodler
2008-Mar-26, 02:03 AM
Walked downstairs in my boxers (only) carrying a baseball bat.

With the way my hair goes all Londo Mollari after a few restless hours of sleep, it looks like Grog the Neanderthal Sasquatch asking you to politely keep the peace with Jose's finest tarred pine resting wearily upon my shoulder.

ABR.
2008-Mar-26, 02:06 AM
I had a similar set of upstairs neighbors while going to school. I learned both their names from their screaming matches -- there was Blank You Mike and his lovely wife, blank-Blank-it. One night they were yelling at each other for what seemed hours. The neighbor to one side of me tried yelling at them to shut up to no avail. I was on the verge of calling the police. Finally, Blank You Mike got fed up and let out one of those primal screams of frustration and anger. I don't know whether HLW Blank-Blank-it responded -- I broke out into a very long, hold-my-sides-because-they-hurt, laugh. I know I was loud enough for all the neighbors to hear, and the upstairs neighbors behaved themselves from that point on.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-26, 02:23 AM
Good stories.

Well the cops are back because my stairwell door is thin (I have a stronger external door), and it turns out they're playing their tv very loud with a very angry movie on.

I didn't know it was a movie. Not like any movie I've ever heard.

Neverfly
2008-Mar-26, 03:48 AM
Good stories.

Well the cops are back because my stairwell door is thin (I have a stronger external door), and it turns out they're playing their tv very loud with a very angry movie on.

I didn't know it was a movie. Not like any movie I've ever heard.

Right. It was a movie and I'm a Giraffe.

Of course, there's that case a while back about the guy that broke in on his neighbor with a sword demanding to know where the girl was...

Swift
2008-Mar-26, 01:31 PM

What wold you have done?

Called the cops. And do it again if they keep it up. You can also complain, during business hours, to the landlord. Good luck in the sleep department.

closetgeek
2008-Mar-26, 02:37 PM
I had a similar set of upstairs neighbors while going to school. I learned both their names from their screaming matches -- there was Blank You Mike and his lovely wife, blank-Blank-it. One night they were yelling at each other for what seemed hours. The neighbor to one side of me tried yelling at them to shut up to no avail. I was on the verge of calling the police. Finally, Blank You Mike got fed up and let out one of those primal screams of frustration and anger. I don't know whether HLW Blank-Blank-it responded -- I broke out into a very long, hold-my-sides-because-they-hurt, laugh. I know I was loud enough for all the neighbors to hear, and the upstairs neighbors behaved themselves from that point on.

I feel like you are describing my husband and I before the children. Well, up until the calling the cops part. He did. Not a day goes by that I don't feel guilty about making is medical school process so difficult because we were so childish and thoughtless.

One Skunk Todd
2008-Mar-26, 02:44 PM
Before I was married I lived in the upstairs part of townhouse with a separate basement apartment. The guy and his girlfriend who lived down there used to go at each other, screaming for hours on end. We never did call the cops but moved out shortly after one night hearing "Put down the knife!" followed by "No! You put down the scissors!"

Nick Theodorakis
2008-Mar-26, 03:50 PM
NOT WITH THE GOOD SCISSORS!!

Nadme
2008-Mar-26, 03:53 PM

Now, all their replacements do is fight, and both work swing shifts, so I hear it going until three am.

What wold you have done?

Back to bed.

I would have done the same exact thing you did.

Those morons need to know that not everyone in the universe wants to overhear their little dramas -- especially not at 3:00 a.m.!

Torsten
2008-Mar-26, 05:10 PM
An agency that runs social housing programs owns a few houses in my neighbourhood and provides them at low rental to qualifying families. We've had really good, stable families in some of them, and really "in-your-face-I'm-the-centre-of-all-creation-and-everyone-owes-me-a-living-but-I-don't-need-to-conform-to-the-most-elementary-of-social-norms-etc" people in some of them too.

We'd already been through the "call the police" process a few times, and I and three of my neighbours had even been over there ourselves one time to break it up when we thought someone was going to be seriously injured (each of them could really lay a beating on the other). After yet another night of drinking, loud swearing, and fighting that kept us all awake, my neighbour and I wrote the agency and told them that we considered this behaviour to be mischief as defined under a particular provision of our Criminal Code. Problem ended - for a time. Of course, this sort of people just can't keep a lid on it, so it resumed some time later. This time, every single family within earshot of that place signed a second letter, and the couple left.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-26, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your support. I did finally drift off around 3:40 am with a 6:30 wakeup. Not exactly a fun way to go through one's day.

When I arrived home, the upstairs wife came down and apologized. Turns out they were arguing, and what I heard from them wasn't the TV.

Still, I think I did right by calling the cops. Hey, I'm just trying to get to sleep, and if I'd been involved in a scuffle, I don't think I wouldn't have received much sleep in jail...

tdvance
2008-Mar-26, 05:48 PM
call the cops--that's the right thing to do.

Of course, here in Prince Georges County, MD, sometimes they don't come, but take a statement over the phone. Hopefully not in a real emergency! but I've not had a "real" emergency (ongoing event) yet, just calling cops when something was vandalized or stolen.

TV--sounds like how they stayed out of jail...this time--I wonder if the police really believed them or had no choice given no evidence.

"yeah, it was the TV--it was so loud it gave my wife a black eye!"

Todd

pghnative
2008-Mar-26, 06:01 PM
A friend of mine had neighbors having a party with loud music during a weeknight. He called the cops twice. Twice the cops showed up, asked the neighbors to keep it down. Twice the neighbors quieted down until the cops left, and then turned the music back up.

So my friend called the cops again (on 911 which is, of course, audio recorded), and went on at length about how noisy the party was, how stressed out he was getting (he had only a few hours before he got up for an early morning working shift), and how he was having trouble controlling the urge to pick up a baseball bat and visit the neighbors.

The wording was critical --- he didn't threathen to do anything, he just very carefully talked about how the stress of the situation was making it tough for him to not resort to violence. Within about 5 minutes, the cops walked into the party, confiscated the stereo and dispersed the crowd.

Nadme
2008-Mar-26, 06:51 PM
A friend of mine had neighbors having a party with loud music during a weeknight. He called the cops twice. Twice the cops showed up, asked the neighbors to keep it down. Twice the neighbors quieted down until the cops left, and then turned the music back up.

So my friend called the cops again (on 911 which is, of course, audio recorded), and went on at length about how noisy the party was, how stressed out he was getting (he had only a few hours before he got up for an early morning working shift), and how he was having trouble controlling the urge to pick up a baseball bat and visit the neighbors.

The wording was critical --- he didn't threathen to do anything, he just very carefully talked about how the stress of the situation was making it tough for him to not resort to violence. Within about 5 minutes, the cops walked into the party, confiscated the stereo and dispersed the crowd.

:lol: Good for him!

I can't understand pigs like those neighbors, who have no regard or consideration for others. And of course that man had to work throughout the day, while the party bums had all day long to snooze. What inconsiderate pigs.

Fazor
2008-Mar-26, 07:16 PM
I always suggest calling the cops. That's their job. They don't mind it, and it gets the message across. If you try to confront them yourself, you may think you're being nice and giving them a chance to correct the problem without the police; but most of the time people in those situations are anything but reasonable. If it's a fight, they're stressed. If it's a party, they got the numbers on you, and you're the "loser" who can't handle a little party.

Nadme
2008-Mar-26, 07:29 PM
I always suggest calling the cops. That's their job. They don't mind it, and it gets the message across.

Yep.

If you try to confront them yourself, you may think you're being nice and giving them a chance to correct the problem without the police; but most of the time people in those situations are anything but reasonable. If it's a fight, they're stressed.

..and you risk getting jumped, beaten up or maybe even stabbed/shot.

Not worth it. Let the police handle it.

If it's a party, they got the numbers on you, and you're the "loser" who can't handle a little party

Read: You're the one who has to work the next day while these pathetic jerks can sleep in.

Larry Jacks
2008-Mar-26, 07:31 PM
If it's a fight, they're stressed.

If it's a domestic dispute, they could be more than stressed. Someone's life could be in danger. Calling the police is a good idea. If you can do so without stretching the truth too far, tell them you believe they're about to get violent with one another and you're concerned that someone is going to get seriously hurt. Since 911 calls are recorded, police departments try to avoid the bad publicity that comes when a reported domestic dispute gets ignored until it turns into a murder investigation.

Within about 5 minutes, the cops walked into the party, confiscated the stereo and dispersed the crowd.

I like this approach and wish more cops would do it. Keep the equipment until they pay a stiff fine. If they don't pay the fine within 30 days, sell the equipment to help defer the costs of multiple police visits to the home.

When I was stationed in Germany, over 80% of the guys in my barracks was a shift worker. Anytime of the day or night, some people were trying to sleep. One thing just about everyone did back then was to buy a stereo system so naturally people wanted to play their music. Our unit had a simple policy. The first time someone complained about your music being too loud, they were warned. The second time it happened, the equipment was confiscated until they transferred out of the unit (which could be up to 3 years away). Not many people needed a second warning. Most of us bought a good set of headphones so we could play our music even when our roommates were asleep.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-26, 07:38 PM
When I lived in dorms, I was practically on a first-name basis with some of the cops. In fact, late one night (probably 2 AM), I called in to say that someone upstairs was bowling down the hall. There was a pause. "Bowling?"

But they sent the RA on duty (there's always two), and he had been my RA the year before. He walked in. "Bowling?"

"Listen."

From upstairs, rumble rumble rumble crash!

"I'll take care of it."

And they never bowled down the hallway at 2 AM again. Calling the police can work.

Doodler
2008-Mar-26, 08:20 PM
call the cops--that's the right thing to do.

Of course, here in Prince Georges County, MD, sometimes they don't come, but take a statement over the phone. Hopefully not in a real emergency! but I've not had a "real" emergency (ongoing event) yet, just calling cops when something was vandalized or stolen.

TV--sounds like how they stayed out of jail...this time--I wonder if the police really believed them or had no choice given no evidence.

"yeah, it was the TV--it was so loud it gave my wife a black eye!"

Todd
In defense of PG County cops (cause I know a few), PG County is a zoo being run by the animals. Jack Johnson has done more to bone those poor buggers, its a miracle they can still function what with all the crap flowing out of DC as thecity "gentrifies" itself.

chrissy
2008-Mar-26, 09:16 PM
well if they do start arguing again record it and see them try and get out of it when the police arrive. They might finaly get the message.
I have very noisy neighbours and when they start they scream at one another, it goes on sometimes until the early hours of the morning, the language that comes out of their teenage daughter would make your ears curl up!

LaurelHS
2008-Mar-27, 02:20 AM
The weirdest "loud neighbour" incident I've had recently involved a drunk young woman who was wandering around the hallway of our apartment building singing to her dog at the top of her lungs. At 3 a.m.

Whirlpool
2008-Mar-27, 05:14 AM
First , listen to what they are fighting about.

Then , talk to the landlord and make a complain about them , because they won't give you sleep and they are ruining you life to live peacefully .

Then, if they still doesn't stop , call the cops.

;)

suntrack2
2008-Mar-27, 05:12 PM
Very nice topic here by you, Mugaliens.
Today we are watching that post globalisation the multi problems are appearing in this world, 1. the families are scattering to win the jobs, 2. no family attachment, 3. tv serials are responsible to start quarrels(some). 4. we are watching the neighbours as strangers and they are watching us as strangers, so then! 5.irrilevant expectations of neighbours, 6. when the children plucking the flowers of the neighbours they don't like, they just start shouting. 7. when our dog barks they hate, and gives a nervous expressions on their face.

there are many things to tell,I will take my time later to speak on neighbour issue. our neighbours are scilent in nature :), but what I hear from others that's speaking. there are some neighbours in the world, who barrow free trade practice or just replace it with some other commodity, for example if they don't have a milk in their house to encourage the guest they just come at my home and ask for it. very next day they return the milk in the form of curd.

If they want some wheat powder they just carry to their home and against the wheat powder (for making chapati) they return the commodity in replacement of edible item, this practice is going on. (we know we are paying the charity for them).

gethen
2008-Mar-28, 01:50 PM
Calling the cops was the right move. I once tried, reasonably I thought, to tell a neighbor that they needed to stop their dog from running into the road and trying to bite every pedestrian or cyclist in the neighborhood. All I got was a blank look. After three such attempts I called the police and complained. They showed up a half hour later. Never saw the dog running loose again.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-29, 12:54 AM
You guys have got it all backwards. Don't be a snitch! Be a neighbor! Cops are the last resort--they're you're best friends when you really need them, but by then it's usually too late. You'll find that if you mostly mind your own business, the vast majority of nextdoor neighbors (vecinos as they say in Mexican) will take seriously a recommendation to cool it, when presented respectfully and without physical threats. Just my experience.

And BTW, you still have to live with your neighbors. You call the cops on them, the annual block party is probably not going to happen. . . .

tdvance
2008-Mar-29, 01:10 AM
Depends on the neighbor--if I already have a good relationship with particular neighbors, definitely I'd try to solve the problem in a friendly way with them. But definitely don't confront neighbors at 2am and ready to fight--call the cops if your relationship with the neighbors is such that there's a significant chance of being dragged into a fight. I got the impression MugAliens was exactly in this situation--we're talking about neighbors who were already angry here and are already "duking it out", at least loudly and verbally.

You guys have got it all backwards. Don't be a snitch! Be a neighbor! Cops are the last resort--they're you're best friends when you really need them, but by then it's usually too late. You'll find that if you mostly mind your own business, the vast majority of nextdoor neighbors (vecinos as they say in Mexican) will take seriously a recommendation to cool it, when presented respectfully and without physical threats. Just my experience.

And BTW, you still have to live with your neighbors. You call the cops on them, the annual block party is probably not going to happen. . . .

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-29, 01:39 AM
Depends on the neighbor--if I already have a good relationship with particular neighbors, definitely I'd try to solve the problem in a friendly way with them. But definitely don't confront neighbors at 2am and ready to fight--call the cops if your relationship with the neighbors is such that there's a significant chance of being dragged into a fight. I got the impression MugAliens was exactly in this situation--we're talking about neighbors who were already angry here and are already "duking it out", at least loudly and verbally.

I'm just thinking of what happened last night: we replaced the batteries on the new LED laser pointer flashlight for the first time and my 11 year-old daughter was trying hit the street sign down the street because when you do the whole sign lights up brighter than neon. But it's not that easy. You wind up pointing the laser everywhichway before you finally find the target. She says she flashed the neighbor's window by accident--I believe her. It was certainly not her intent to scare anyone with fake sniper lasers--but of course, what is the default assumption supposed to be when you see that telltale red dot flashing across the tender eyes of your sick, two-year-old only son? Well, it's probably dumb teenagers I would think, but then you never know for sure until you walk outside and confront the situation; which is what any real man would do, and is what my neighbor did, who then threatened snapping necks--along with holding his cell phone prominently. Needless to say, I, in my most gentlemanly manner, apologized in three different dimensions and duly swore to carry out the appropriate punshiment to the guilty parties--(and I am the first to agree that shining lasers into other peoples houses is totally bad manners--it's as bad as shooting bottle rockets--and probably illegal as well.) A little humble pie goes a long way when negotiating with belligerant neighbors

Gillianren
2008-Mar-29, 04:45 AM
. . . until you walk outside and confront the situation; which is what any real man would do . . . .

Oh, my.

Leaving aside those of us who aren't real men, is that really the attitude to take into a confrontation? Indeed, there are a lot of situations when dealing with the situation yourself is a really bad idea. Domestic dispute, for example. Suspected drug lab. (Yes, I've actually had that in apartments I've lived in.) Anything where there's a presumption that there are weapons involved. Also, I think it's probably a bad idea to have the first contact you ever have with your neighbour to be confrontational.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-29, 05:49 AM
<snip> which is what any real man would do, <snip>
So it's the actions of a real man to walk into a situation where he'll potentially leave his children without support?
Sorry, I prefer being one of the other types.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-29, 04:02 PM
Oh, my.

Leaving aside those of us who aren't real men, is that really the attitude to take into a confrontation? Indeed, there are a lot of situations when dealing with the situation yourself is a really bad idea. Domestic dispute, for example. Suspected drug lab. (Yes, I've actually had that in apartments I've lived in.) Anything where there's a presumption that there are weapons involved. Also, I think it's probably a bad idea to have the first contact you ever have with your neighbour to be confrontational.

So it's the actions of a real man to walk into a situation where he'll potentially leave his children without support?
Sorry, I prefer being one of the other types.
The whole chest thumping thing isn't my style either and no doubt my neighbor isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but hey he was trying to protect his kid. And I guess a red laser dot shining in your living room would entail a presumption that there might be weapons involved, and so my neighbor should have just called the police I'll grant. But I'm glad he didn't. I don't like police knocking on my door. I'm not sure why--probably an irrational phobia of cops. So, enduring his bombast was a small price to pay for a copless evening I figure. Too bad that was our first encounter.

But, when it comes to neighbors, I'm of the philosophy that it's good to keep your friends close to you--and your enemies even closer. It's best to stay in the neighborhood gossip's good graces, for example, if you can. It turns out my neighbor and I have at least one mutual friend; he said he'd smooth things over. I plan to make nice and not give the neighbor the cold shoulder so he'll feel free to talk to me personally if there are ever any other issues.

But my basic point is that the flavor of some of the earlier posts makes me want to say that when considering whether to call the cops or not, ask yourself, "Am I just being an internet geek whose ability to socially interact with real people has atrophied to point where I'm terrified at the very idea of meeting my neighbors, or is this truly an emergency that requires the cops--who, after all, have an important job to do that they can't do when they're responding to nonemergencies." Neighbors do everybody a favor when they can settle their differences without involving the authorities.

tdvance
2008-Mar-29, 04:21 PM
there's a second lesson here--there's a reason astronomers keep saying, "laser pointers are not toys"! There was a thread or two on this forum discussing laser pointer safety, in fact. One rule is, never let children use them. Another is, don't shine into traffic (not that there was any when she lighted up the sign, but that's still kind of asking for it). You can actually go to jail if you shine a laser pointer on a moving vehicle, including airplanes flying overhead.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-29, 04:29 PM
there's a second lesson here--there's a reason astronomers keep saying, "laser pointers are not toys"! There was a thread or two on this forum discussing laser pointer safety, in fact. One rule is, never let children use them. Another is, don't shine into traffic (not that there was any when she lighted up the sign, but that's still kind of asking for it). You can actually go to jail if you shine a laser pointer on a moving vehicle, including airplanes flying overhead.
Point taken. . . .

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-29, 07:26 PM
I think one point that others have tried to make is that when the neighbors are screeming at each other at the top of their lungs they have already gone past the point where rational talk works well as a means of communication.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-30, 12:37 AM
I think one point that others have tried to make is that when the neighbors are screeming at each other at the top of their lungs they have already gone past the point where rational talk works well as a means of communication.
I'm saying that even when it's reached that point, the situation can still be salvaged by skillful diplomacy. And think about it this way: is not calling the cops is a form of violence? How is having some dark suited thugs with guns compel somebody to do something you want them to do different from you just going out with your own guns and muscles and leather jackets and compelling them yourself?

And BTW, I ran to my neighbor in the local tavern today. I went right up to him and talked to him in person, we've shook hands over the deal. And sure enough, I've found out that "Timmy" has a reputation in this small town for a tendency to a little overzealousness every now and then. But now we're allies instead of enemies.

DOOMMaster
2008-Mar-30, 01:36 AM
I'm saying that even when it's reached that point, the situation can still be salvaged by skillful diplomacy. And think about it this way: is not calling the cops is a form of violence? How is having some dark suited thugs with guns compel somebody to do something you want them to do different from you just going out with your own guns and muscles and leather jackets and compelling them yourself?

And BTW, I ran to my neighbor in the local tavern today. I went right up to him and talked to him in person, we've shook hands over the deal. And sure enough, I've found out that "Timmy" has a reputation in this small town for a tendency to a little overzealousness every now and then. But now we're allies instead of enemies.

Probably because the police actually have a legal right to come in and do such things. You most certainly don't, especially with firearms, especially once you enter onto another person's property, where they will almost certainly have the legal right to respond to any threats you make with deadly force themselves (especially if you happen to have a weapon, firearm or otherwise).

Using a weapon in self-defense is not the same thing as using a weapon to stop 2 neighbors from arguing loudly just because they woke you up. It's not even close.

As to the OP, I would say you did the right thing. 3:00am isn't the right time to be arguing, especially loud enough for other people to be woken up by. As a very light sleeper myself, I used to get VERY angry when I was woken up by noisy neighbors when I lived in an apartment. I would also recommend filing a complaint with your landlord. If they keep it up, they might end up getting kicked out and you won't have to deal with them anymore.

geonuc
2008-Mar-30, 01:12 PM
How is having some dark suited thugs with guns compel somebody to do something you want them to do different from you just going out with your own guns and muscles and leather jackets and compelling them yourself?
The police are dark suited thugs? :eh:

Gillianren
2008-Mar-30, 06:07 PM
I like the police, personally. It's their job to stand between me and anarchy, and I dislike even the thought of anarchy and would not do very well when caught up in the real thing. This makes me seemingly unusual for graduates of my alma mater--everyone always forgets the older students and only remembers the young, stupid ones--but I remember, if no one else does, that Ted Bundy hunted our campus at least once, and it was police who caught him. And on routine traffic stops two of the three times, at that.

The reason it is better to call a cop than handle it yourself is that a cop is an authority figure, and that has a tendency (unless you're dealing with stupid Greeners) to defuse the situation. Your neighbour who has no compunctions about hitting you for interfering with his beating up his wife will probably react differently to the cop.

Further, I don't really think that shouting matches can generally be resolved by skillful diplomacy. I think that, by the time it's elevated to shouting, most people have stopped listening anyway.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-30, 10:52 PM

I take it you've never been battered about by a gang of policemen; so rewatch the Rodney King video, and you'll see what I mean.

My point is that calling the police is an act of violence, plain and simple. The legality or nonlegality and the justification or nonjustification of such a move are utterly irrelevant. Therefore, make sure you are ethically justified to perform violence before you call the police, because you will be performing violence even if it is someone else who is doing your dirty work for you.

Warren Platts
2008-Mar-30, 11:14 PM
I like the police, personally.All of them?
It's their job to stand between me and anarchy, and I dislike even the thought of anarchy and would not do very well when caught up in the real thing.You know, anarchy could work, but it would depend on massive individual commitments to be real with everybody else.
This makes me seemingly unusual for graduates of my alma mater--everyone always forgets the older students and only remembers the young, stupid onesHuh? :confused:
but I remember, if no one else does, that Ted Bundy hunted our campus at least once,That's an interesting choice of words: so ordinary deer hunters are engaged in the same activity as Ted Bundy.
and it was police who caught him. And on routine traffic stops two of the three times, at that.Yeah, but way too late--and think about the fact that there might have been another routine traffic stop that could have got him sooner, but didn't because the cop who might have got him was busy instead on another call by someone whining about their noisy neighbors instead of about serial killers.

The reason it is better to call a cop than handle it yourself is that a cop is an authority figure, and that has a tendency (unless you're dealing with stupid Greeners) to defuse the situation. Your neighbour who has no compunctions about hitting you for interfering with his beating up his wife will probably react differently to the cop. That's a good point: you can try to beat up your neighbor and you will probably succeed; but you can never beat up the cops and come out on top.

Further, I don't really think that shouting matches can generally be resolved by skillful diplomacy. I think that, by the time it's elevated to shouting, most people have stopped listening anyway.Think about what you just said: you just said that nonviolent shouting requires a violent response--mediated by the police, albeit, but it remains a violent response nevertheless.

Neverfly
2008-Mar-30, 11:50 PM
That's an interesting choice of words: so ordinary deer hunters are engaged in the same activity as Ted Bundy.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

Ok, I'm sorry...

I just had this Gary Larsonesque image in my head of Ted Bundy on a campus in a deer stand. He's got a little whistle that when he blows into it- it makes a female voice shouting, "HELP! I spilled my beer all over my mini skirt!"

Moose
2008-Mar-31, 12:05 AM
You know, anarchy could work, but it would depend on massive individual commitments to be real with everybody else.

That's not anarchy. Anarchy stops being anarchy the moment there is any cooperation whatsoever between individuals. Psychologists have gone a long way towards demonstrating experimentally that anarchy cannot exist in human populations. Even firmly controlled artificial anarchies where communication isn't permitted would invariably evolve into small pockets of cooperation and alliance.

What you're describing is communism.

(What the 1950s era Soviets did wasn't communism any more than what we do is democracy. "A rose by any other name...")

Gillianren
2008-Mar-31, 12:14 AM
Calling the police is an act of violence? Really?

Yeah, okay. That is an irrational attitude.

Doodler
2008-Mar-31, 12:20 AM

LAPD, at your disservice.

Also, the New Orleans police department was one of the worst in the nation before the flood hit, which is why the badge boy shinannigans once the levees broke utterly unsurprised me. This was the same goon squad that took a woman in for a traffic stop, strip searched her, then let her sit in a cell overnight. And it really was nothing but a stop sign violation. Oh, and there's the NOPD story about the cop who robbed a carry out joint, shot the guy and his son in the head execution style, THEN had the temerity to show up when the wife called the cops afterwards.

Real heroes, aren't they?

tdvance
2008-Mar-31, 04:00 AM
That's not anarchy. Anarchy stops being anarchy the moment there is any cooperation whatsoever between individuals. Psychologists have gone a long way towards demonstrating experimentally that anarchy cannot exist in human populations. Even firmly controlled artificial anarchies where communication isn't permitted would invariably evolve into small pockets of cooperation and alliance.

What you're describing is communism.

(What the 1950s era Soviets did wasn't communism any more than what we do is democracy. "A rose by any other name...")

It brings to mind the short story by Niven, "Cloak of Anarchy" in which Niven illustrates one of Niven's Laws: "Anarchy is the least stable system". The story is about a park that is close to anarchy--robot cops keep things from deteriorating. Then a hacker figures out how to disable the cops, and it really was anarchy...for maybe an hour or so till the toughest made themselves gang leaders.

Fledermaus
2008-Mar-31, 09:23 AM
I have had the pleasure of neighbours from hell 3 times and sold my house 3 time to get away from it. Twice my car was attacked for calling the police when they started threatening me and destroying my property.The third time I couldnt stand hearing the woman being beaten to a pulp day after day, even when the police arrested he man she took him back and it would be quiet for a week! But it would start again, the last thing he said to me when the police took him away was that I needed a guy like him to put me in my place!!! I told him he was welcome to try and all he had to do was knock on my door! Needless to say he never did, nor did he make eyecontact with me ever again afterwards. I sold my house after that and have been lucky for the last 6 years, but!!! Alas it was not to last! Recently a elderly neighbour diead and the people who were left the house have rented it out, the house is 3 away from mine but have a right of way down my drive way! I tried to be polite and welcomed the people to the street and always said goodmorning and all of a sudden I was being ignored!!! 8months later a relative of the person liveing in the rented house started shouting abuse at me regarding my German perantage attacked one of my elderly cat and started threatening me!!! It goes on, it is being delt with by the police as these people have also been intimidateing my other elderly neighbours who I shop for and take to hospital appointments. The only conclusion is that this is a sign of the times and there are more and more people like this, who just dont have any respect for others or self respect and are ignorant so n so's. I will not be selling up and moveing away, I am sitting tight as I will not be intimidated again and I have spine to help my neighbours,with the help of the police. (mind they alway turn up 24hrs later and take forever to help)
If you rent then look to move! The affect of liveing with the stress and noise will effect you, as it has made me very intolerant of noise and of people.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-31, 06:08 PM
The only conclusion is that this is a sign of the times and there are more and more people like this, who just dont have any respect for others or self respect and are ignorant so n so's.

Is it? I can think of several others, not least that you've just been unlucky in a few of your neighbours. When I was in the dorms my junior year in college, I had one really awful roommate, and I remember things about her vividly. But the other three were really great. Saying that the evil one was a sign of the times despite the three good ones is just as unfair as saying that one person in your neighbourhood who is a jerk is a sign of the times.

DOOMMaster
2008-Mar-31, 08:06 PM
I take it you've never been battered about by a gang of policemen; so rewatch the Rodney King video, and you'll see what I mean.

My point is that calling the police is an act of violence, plain and simple. The legality or nonlegality and the justification or nonjustification of such a move are utterly irrelevant. Therefore, make sure you are ethically justified to perform violence before you call the police, because you will be performing violence even if it is someone else who is doing your dirty work for you.

No, it's not violence. Violence is walking upstairs and shooting both people doing the arguing. Violence is walking upstairs and pistol-whipping both people doing the arguing. Violence is taking a baseball bat to both people doing the arguing. This would be ethically (not to mention legally) wrong.

Calling the police to diffuse a loud and obxious fight between two people isn't violence. You really need to look up the word violence in the dictionary. It isn't ethically wrong to call the police to stop a loud fight between neighbors. You would probably be ethically wrong to just ignore and do nothing. Look up ethical in the dictionary while you look up violence too.

Oh, and as for Rodney King, he wouldn't have been beaten into submission by the police had he not fled from them, then resisted arrest. Had he just cooperated, he wouldn't have been beaten. Pretty much end of story there. The police have the right to protect themselves from criminals if they refuse to cooperate.

As for police, they are people, just like everyone else. Some shouldn't be police in the first place. There are plenty of people I can think of in positions of authority that shouldn't have it. Just because some are bad, doesn't mean they all are.

Neverfly
2008-Mar-31, 08:16 PM
DOOMMaster, I agree with just about everything you said but...

Oh, and as for Rodney King, he wouldn't have been beaten into submission by the police had he not fled from them, then resisted arrest.
This is true that he was wrong.
But that is no excuse for the police violently beating the man senseless.

Had he just cooperated, he wouldn't have been beaten. Pretty much end of story there. The police have the right to protect themselves from criminals if they refuse to cooperate.

He still shouldn't have been beaten with a ghetto blaster while laying on the ground whimpering.
That is not a case of police protecting themselves.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-31, 09:14 PM
Walked downstairs in my boxers (only) carrying a baseball bat.

With the way my hair goes all Londo Mollari after a few restless hours of sleep, it looks like Grog the Neanderthal Sasquatch asking you to politely keep the peace with Jose's finest tarred pine resting wearily upon my shoulder.

That is so funny! I can just picture that. So who is Londo Mollari? I know of Grog, and the Neanderthat Sasquatch. But who is Jose?

Of all the people on this board, I think I'm scared of you the most. I don't know why, and I think I could give you a good run for your money, if you so choose to wail on me. Still, Doodler... Sometimes you scare me. Is that just the way you keep your distance?

It's been like, what, a couple of years? Just thought I'd ask.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-01, 12:39 AM
This is true that he was wrong.
But that is no excuse for the police violently beating the man senseless.

He still shouldn't have been beaten with a ghetto blaster while laying on the ground whimpering.
That is not a case of police protecting themselves.

We may not agree much, but we agree here. While you cannot blame the police for causing the situation, you should definitely blame them for what happened once they had him stopped and subdued. Which happened pretty quickly.

Oh, regarding Ted Bundy "hunting"--that's what he thought of it as. I don't know if he used the word, but he had no greater respect for the women he killed than a sport hunter (to head off you people who actually eat what you kill, a thing I actually respect to a certain degree) does for a deer. It's just a trophy.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-01, 02:37 AM
We may not agree much, but we agree here. While you cannot blame the police for causing the situation, you should definitely blame them for what happened once they had him stopped and subdued. Which happened pretty quickly.

Oh, regarding Ted Bundy "hunting"--that's what he thought of it as. I don't know if he used the word, but he had no greater respect for the women he killed than a sport hunter (to head off you people who actually eat what you kill, a thing I actually respect to a certain degree) does for a deer. It's just a trophy.

We probably agree about a great deal of things. It's just that we don't usually discuss much that is agreed upon.
You have also managed to see the flare of my attitude at times, when I needed to learn to not be so defensive.

I also cannot respect trophy hunting. It speaks of a lack of respect for life and waste.

BigDon
2008-Apr-01, 02:43 AM
One of the more valuble lessons I took away from the Navy was the proper way to have a huge drinking and dancing party without cheesing people off.

If you are throwing such a party its usually not a surprise to you. And its really simple people. You tell all your neighbors ahead of time. Invite them if they want, most never show up and tell them if it gets too loud to come on over. It's that easy. Cops never came, not once, unless it was to just cruise by. Though they did like to park at the end of the block to see who was driving and what state he was in.

The other good idea was the designated tackle squad. They would just mob you if you tried to get your car keys and you were plowed like the south forty. (We always gathered car keys ahead of time.) Doesn't work all the time, but a lot of the time. The success rate improves if you include: duct tape and women.

In port in San Diego my shop threw famous parties. Some of the guys rented a house in town and we would party there. In one typical party we had so much dancing going on we wore the front lawn down to bare ground in a single night. We would throw these blasts once or twice a month. Some of the junior officers in my squadron would even show up, until the senior officers found out and declaired our parties off limits to them. (We would party with them over seas though and at squadron functions.)

Hey! It's spring! Time for a Spring Water party! This will get its own thread.

Fledermaus
2008-Apr-01, 01:44 PM
Saying that the evil one was a sign of the times despite the three good ones is just as unfair as saying that one person in your neighbourhood who is a jerk is a sign of the times.[/QUOTE]

I am not being unfair saying that the one person in the neighbourhood who is a neighbour from hell is a sign of the times!There isnt just one person like this in the village, a third of it is now full of persons like this! The village where I live is slowly being bought by absentee landlord from the south and they are not bothered about who is renting the house as long as the state pays the rent. In the UK there has finally been laws introduced to try to address the growing problems from bad neighbours, and they werent in place three years ago. The law here is slow in changeing but I wont be drawn into a debate on the laws, politics and how society is changeing in the Uk.

Regarding the girl at college, maybe she isnt evil, you had a clash of personalitys and she was a juvenile rebel!!! Calling some one evil is a bit strong.:D

BigDon
2008-Apr-01, 08:32 PM
Well here's a change closer to the original topic. I have new neighbors as of last week.

My bedroom and their's share a common wall.

Boy, does he ever love his wife. And he loves her well, too, I might add. Funny how people don't call the cops for that. Just as non-condusive to sleep as fighting, but doesn't seem to make others angry. As a matter of fact, you feel kind of guilty for listening to it. Like you're the one doing something wrong. (I'm not saying it's wrong, just feels that way)

Bean Counter
2008-Apr-01, 09:31 PM
So who is Londo Mollari? I know of Grog, and the Neanderthat Sasquatch. But who is Jose?

Londo Mollari is a character from the "Babylon 5" series. He was a Centari who, as a status symbol in his culture, wore his hair up in a "fan" configuration. He is pictured here on the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londo_Mollari

Jose is probably Jose Canseco. His name is on a line of baseball bats.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-01, 09:37 PM
Funny how people don't call the cops for that. Just as non-condusive to sleep as fighting, but doesn't seem to make others angry.

There's less danger of someone getting hurt. I would, however, suggest leaving a note. They may not realize how thin the walls are.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-01, 09:41 PM
There's less danger of someone getting hurt. I would, however, suggest leaving a note. They may not realize how thin the walls are.

And how, exactly, would you word said note?

Gillianren
2008-Apr-02, 01:53 AM
And how, exactly, would you word said note?

"FYI--the walls here are thin"?

suntrack2
2008-Apr-02, 04:38 PM
(story from my site) : sometime I enjoy my neighbours because whenever I want to keep the "keys of home", I just keep it to the neighbours to give my wife when she return home in my absence.

:) secondly, when lot of guests are propose to come at my house, I just bring some chairs from neighbours to serve the guest better, because I have only limited chairs in my home. :)

thirdly, when there is lock at my home, we give "one pot" to collect the milk or curd in our absence our neighbours collect the same from a "milkman". :) fourthly, when there is a limited water quota receives from a tap, the neighbours tap is useful in their absence, and we use that extra water to serve the trees better. Hence how much the neighbours are important, just think.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-02, 06:03 PM
(story from my site) : sometime I enjoy my neighbours because whenever I want to keep the "keys of home", I just keep it to the neighbours to give my wife when she return home in my absence.

:) secondly, when lot of guests are propose to come at my house, I just bring some chairs from neighbours to serve the guest better, because I have only limited chairs in my home. :)

thirdly, when there is lock at my home, we give "one pot" to collect the milk or curd in our absence our neighbours collect the same from a "milkman". :) fourthly, when there is a limited water quota receives from a tap, the neighbours tap is useful in their absence, and we use that extra water to serve the trees better. Hence how much the neighbours are important, just think.

Ahh the good ol' days...

suntrack2
2008-Apr-03, 05:25 PM
But neverfly, see what is happening after the globalisation, our trust on neighbours becoming slowly deminishing. :) What can be done !!, its a real question.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-03, 06:37 PM
But neverfly, see what is happening after the globalisation, our trust on neighbours becoming slowly deminishing. :) What can be done !!, its a real question.

It's nothing new actually.
Rome had a similar problems.

I lament it as well.
I remember the good ol days when not only you knew your neighbors, but you could even not HAVE ANY.

There isn't anything that can be done. And for many city folks- they have no problem with it.
I'm just a Mountain Man IN a city.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-03, 09:35 PM
I lament it as well.
I remember the good ol days when not only you knew your neighbors, but you could even not HAVE ANY.

Depending on your definition, you can still have no neighbours. Depends on where you're willing to live and how close you count "neighbours." Depending on that latter definition, there has never been a time when you could choose not to have neighbours.

My mom knows her neighbours. My sister is in her neighbourhood association, a thing we didn't even have back home. And yesterday, on my way back from a walk, I had a nice chat with a couple of people I don't know who were sitting out in the sun in front of their apartment.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-03, 09:42 PM
Depending on your definition, you can still have no neighbours. Depends on where you're willing to live and how close you count "neighbours." Depending on that latter definition, there has never been a time when you could choose not to have neighbours.

Gillianren I completely understand what you are saying but...

You obviously have not lived In the Mountains...;)

When I said a time when you could Not Have Neighbors- I meant it literally:p

Gillianren
2008-Apr-04, 03:04 AM
Gillianren I completely understand what you are saying but...

You obviously have not lived In the Mountains...;)

When I said a time when you could Not Have Neighbors- I meant it literally:p

If you travel far enough, there's someone living there. That person is your neighbour. Pioneers referred to having neighbours, you know.

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-04, 04:02 AM

What wold you have done?

Back to bed.

Oh yea... I've got some great suggestions for you. I've had my fair share of ace hole neighbors, all of them were kicked out. I had some fun along the way, but the best and final answer is A) Call landlord and complain. B) Call police and complain. The reason for A is that B will ask, did you do A. A will say to do B. This covers both bases.

If your neighbor gets ticked and says anything to you about it, call the police and report what your neighbor said. When they ask you why you are reporting something so trivial, say because when the snot hits the fan you'll tell me I should have called and reported this. Cops hold a low rank in my hierarchy of humanity but they have a job, and that is to hold civilization together, so despite their arrogant attitudes, they are still your servants and must deal with any barbaric behavior.

Be persistent. Report everything to both the police and your landlord.

Now for the fun stuff. I had an ape living upstairs from me for a while. He had a girlfriend who had some kind of bug up her behind that was related to me and I never quite figured out what it was, but I think she's the type that dates apes because they're excited by bad boys being bad and she instigated problems to see him in action. I used to hear them fight about her flirting in bars, so she probably had some psychological need to see him behaving badly.

Anyway, he and she were making lots of reproductive noises at about 3am the first time I called the cops. I had been nice... a couple weeks earlier I had left a note where they could see it with ample warning about the noisy behaviors that bothered me and what the consequence of continuing would be. That sent him through the roof and he did nothing but make excessive noise every chance he got. I waited for the perfect opportunity and hit him where it counts (figuratively). The cops thought I was a tool for calling because my neighbor was making happy up there, but the cops opinion is not my concern.

Needless to say, I hit this guy at a real bad time. He was extremely ticked off about it. The next day he waited in his vehicle, and his girlfriend in hers, for me to leave for work. He said some nasty things to me, I just looked his way, said absolutely nothing as I continued walking to my car, and I just smiled from ear to ear. I drove straight to the police station and reported what happened. He made threatening remarks one more time, which I reported again, and after the cops talked to him that time, the problems ended.

The guys that lived up there before him were even worse, but they were idiots and it was easy to get them kicked out. It only took one visit from the police to shut them up, and my call to the landlord was a "one of us has to go" discussion. They lost... after all, I'm a respectable quiet guy who pays his bills.

Anyway... let's get to the real fun stuff. I have an old stereo system, 3 foot tall speakers with 12" woofers; the ideal weapon in the apartment dweller's psychological warfare arsenal! The first pair of guys that lived up there were treated to ear-splitting Iron Maiden, one song, repeated over and over again. I did this during the middle of the day when the people downstairs were at work. It was so loud I could hear them yelling to each other over the noise. I, of course, arranged the speakers so they pointed upward.

That was fun but also has the potential for bringing the cops to your own door, so it isn't necessarily recommended. An idea that struck upon me though was to connect my computer to my stereo system which allowed me to play anything I wanted at high power. I experimented with very low frequency sounds and found some combinations that made the building resonate. The only way I can describe it is to imagine standing next to a very large semi-truck that you can't see. I put one speaker toward the front of my place and the other in the back. I had both tracks out of phase so that as you walked around the sound changed due to interference. In some places it sounded like a truck, in others a helicopter. It was almost impossible to tell where the sound was coming from. It was nerve wracking and a bit eerie.

I also recorded strange tracks with multiple laughs from different women, mixed them up, added echo and other effects, then played that when I could tell there was woopee going upstairs. I felt certain that the sound of a woman laughing would have some kind of psychological affect on the guy even if he knew where it was coming from. I also played cow noises when his girlfriend was up there alone and stomping around. As I mentioned earlier, she did things to instigate problems and walking around with lead feet while he was not home was one of those things. So she was treated to sounds she was undoubtedly familiar with... those of her ancestors. I also treated her to several hours of a song from one of my daughter's CDs from when she was very young. Imagine "The wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round..." playing over and over and over again. For hours. It would have driven ME insane if I wasn't in total control of it. I knew that if I started to crack I could always hit the off switch.

So that's it in a nutshell... the size of a Dyson Sphere... I can only hope that these suggestions help and you have fun melting the minds of the animals you live among.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-04, 09:47 AM
Sounds like you're the kind of neighbor that needs to get kicked out.
I certainly would try if you lived next to me and behaved that way.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 11:01 AM

You must have never lived in Army Barracks:D

There are times when War is declared and once begun- hard to stop.

Respect among neighbors can be a very rare thing in apartments. Depending.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-04, 11:55 AM
You must have never lived in Army Barracks:D
I have, though only shortly, but that's besides the point.

Behavior acceptable in one place in not necessarily acceptable everywhere, and behavior as described by FriedPhoton should not be acceptable in a regular apartment block.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-04, 04:45 PM
Respect among neighbors can be a very rare thing in apartments. Depending.

Depending on what? Depending on whether you were taught as a child to respect everyone who doesn't show you a reason not to? I've lived in apartments or dorms for most of the last, oh, thirteen years, and I've had two serious problems, both with roommates, and a string of minor ones with the idiot freshmen in the next building over. When I've known my neighbours--off and on through the years--I've gotten along quite well with them.

suntrack2
2008-Apr-04, 05:00 PM
great shots by gillianren,:) (shots=points)

sometime I found some people unnecessary blame their neighbours when their commodity or any thing if stolen or missing, they start unnecessary eyebrow expansion towards their neighbours, for which sometime we are sole responsible for missing anything, it is due to our mistake we lost that thing, but as per our natural tilt, we start to blame the neighbours (left/right/front and rear neighbours). But in apartment system there are front neighbours and side neighbours, is it right.

Secondly I have observed 2 man, take for example me and one neighbour is standing in the front porch of the home, we are looking each other,(without speaking, not participating any kind of welfare of each other, not laughing, no smile) what will be the reaction, it will continue on the very next day, later day after tomorrow, it will remain,because what we decide, that we think, and whatever we think that is predecided in the mind, that not to speak. sometime it is better to keep mum rather than quarreling. The quarrel requires a cause, and that cause gives the reaction, and later the speech may become so harsh, and relations goes in dolldrum.

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-04, 11:50 PM

You are entitled to your opinion. I could have made the post much longer and gone into detail about the months I put up with these problems, or with the first pair of morons that lived above me how often I mentioned things that bothered me, and that despite my patience and my attempts to relate how I felt about the constant disruption to the peace in my home the problems continued unabated. Even after I'd talk to these guys and they'd tell me they would be more careful and apologize they would go right back to the same behavior within a day or two at most. What they were trying to do was keep me from calling the landlord. Their apologies were simply attempts to manipulate me.

I live in a three-flat and the second floor is mine. People on the third floor have to walk through the second floor when they come and go. The stairwells are very noisy, the doors make the building shake if not closed in a respectable fashion, and as I mentioned, I can hear most of what goes on upstairs. These guys had a minimum of two parties a week. One, during the week, was a poker party, and on the weekend they always had parties with large numbers of under-aged kids that would get wasted. I not only had to put up with all the music, yelling, banging, chair dragging, stomping, and on occasion a whole body would hit the floor with an enormous thud, but I also had to put up with all these kids running up and down the stairwells while laughing, yelling, or messing around. None of them knew how to talk. They all spoke at a volume I would consider just short of yelling. They had lead feet when walking up the stairs and sounded like they were under a barely controlled fall on the way down. Regardless of which way they went, none of them had the motor coordination to do anything but slam (SLAM!!!) the doors.

Then, of course, were the large groups of wasted kids driving into and out of the parking lot, and at times simply loitering. Without fail, if I was not home, both my parking spots would be taken, leaving me none.

So, that being just the start... how rude do you think I was when I was finally pushed too far? How polite would you have been? Are you going to tell me that you would simply move? At what point would you have begun to try to give them the hint that you had no intention of continuing to put up with their excessively immature behavior? And what would YOU have done?

Let me know if I need to continue with the next neighbor after those guys were kicked out... there is plenty more I could relate.

Fledermaus
2008-Apr-05, 08:18 AM
Friedphoton, I have done the same when I wasnt able to take any more! The 2nd neighbour from hell I had was a woman who had 5 plus guys a night for a fee and was in breech of her tennancy agreement. It was only when the police were investigating her did the council finally move her. I had my car trashed and her family and regulars came onto my property and were threatening me, I ended up throwing one guy over my boundry wall and pushing the other over the gate, they thought that because I was a girl they could push me around but got a bit of a shock. Normally I wouldnt challenge anyone alone in the street as I am not a agressive person but they were in my garden and were lifting their fists to hit me and yelling like idiots at the same time. The Law in the UK a totally different to the USA and are pretty ancient, they have just started to change it in the last three years but have a long way to go.
I did enjoy playing rock music so loud that my pictures fell of the wall, and I could hardly hear her banging on the wall. Then the next day I played opera for hours on end in the house as I worked on the motorbike in the garden. I even downloaded some rave to treat her to on the weekend when she was at her peak entertainment time and I went out on the bike for 6 hrs. Ironically when she moved out the council put in another couple he was a drug dealer and beat the hell out of her, I had had enough by then and sold my house, the whole street was starting to change for the worse and people like myslf were selling up to get out.
Sometimes its the only way to exert some kind of payback for the torture you have been getting, playing music and getting the police involved but it can back fire if your not careful.

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-05, 02:04 PM
Sometimes its the only way to exert some kind of payback for the torture you have been getting, playing music and getting the police involved but it can back fire if your not careful.

I agree, in some cases it could backfire on you in a bad way, but that really depends on the impulsiveness and lack of rationality the person you are dealing with has. If the person is insane or close to it, it might just be better to move, but most people aren't that bad and even if they'd like to get even with you they will probably forget about it or move on to the next conflict with someone else and not bother you. The best deterrent is to keep calling the police and reporting what they do if they confront you in anything resembling a hostile manner.

While I applaud you on your ability to give the morons that came into your yard the boot, my standard warning on these matters is to let the police handle it. The first two guys I mentioned would not have been a huge worry to me if I had ended up in a fight with either one at once, but both would have been difficult, and the next guy, as I said, he was an ape and I would have been an idiot to consider getting physical. The thing to keep in mind is that once you get physical the police will no longer think of you as the victim, you'll be part of a problem. We don't live in barbaric societies and it is the job of the police to put an end to barbaric behavior. Civilization has its benefits and one of those is that you should not have to worry about taking abuse from anyone regardless of their physical stature compared to your own. (And the opposite is true as well, nobody should have to worry about taking abuse from you... even if they richly deserve it. :) )

On a side note: You remind me of my sister. As I mentioned in a post on another thread, the neighborhood we grew up in had a 5:1 boy:girl ratio and she fit in with the guys with little trouble. She was an excellent baseball player. She was a pitcher and way back then girl pitchers were unheard of. She damaged a lot of young male egos because she was quite good. She too rides motorcycles now, or at least she did, I haven't seen her in years.

Fledermaus
2008-Apr-05, 02:28 PM
The last confrontation I had was with two women who were racially abuseing me and thereatening me with violence, which I just kept my hands to my self,I didnt lower my self to their loud foul language slanging match, I just walked away and reported it to the police. But they wont prosecute as there was two of them and they have denied it, but they have been arrested and warned not to come near me or my property or to continue their race hate toward me or they will be prosecuted and it will carry a custodial sentance. It still worrys me that they can get away with it and the threats, but I have been given the support by the police and other agencys in the area but it doesnt remove the hurt and the threat. I wont be moveing and I am still proud that my family is German and English even though I dont advertise it or shout it from a big bell. They had been asking some of the elderly people who I help in the neighbourhood about me and decided to have a go for reasons still unknown to me and the police!!!!. Its ignorance and smallmindedness that makes people do things like this but it was unexpected and I never thought grown adults would say the things they did.
I havent seen the thread where you put in that I reminded you of your sister, and if you havent seen her for a while ring her or email her give her a nice suprise.

geonuc
2008-Apr-05, 02:57 PM
I have a hard time understanding this sentiment. If even half of what he said is true, he is clearly the victim of bad neighbors.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-06, 08:18 PM
Sorry, but that's not an excuse to making with the noise himself.
I've had several times where I had to sleep during the day, and having someone engage in a noise war because he's mad at some other people would make him eviction material in my book,

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-06, 11:21 PM
Sorry, but that's not an excuse to making with the noise himself.
I've had several times where I had to sleep during the day, and having someone engage in a noise war because he's mad at some other people would make him eviction material in my book,

I'm not going to get into the difference between your experience that you don't seem to be looking past and my own long-lasting difficulties. I'll just ask a simple question. Go back and read what I said about the behavior of my neighbors and then answer the question:

What would you have done?

Fledermaus
2008-Apr-07, 10:04 AM
Exactly the same as you, as I have done and had to do, for my own sanity!