PDA

View Full Version : NASA U-Turn Over Mars Rover Funding

Fraser
2008-Mar-26, 05:10 AM
No sooner had news hit the web that NASA had cut funding to the Mars Exploratory Rovers (MER), NASA took a huge U-turn and voided the letter that was sent to MER mission scientists. Apparently both Spirit and Opportunity can continue to roll around the Mars landscape as if nothing had ever happened; in fact [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/25/nasa-u-turn-over-mars-rover-funding/)

Dragon Star
2008-Mar-26, 05:30 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

antoniseb
2008-Mar-26, 01:44 PM
I'm glad about this, but I wonder what project just lost another four million dollars.

Trocisp
2008-Mar-26, 01:49 PM
I'm excited.

Quite frankly, the outer-solar-system projects can lose 4 million if mars gets it. I'm much more interested in mars than the outer solar system! :D

I know, there are a million reasons why one is better than the other, or the money should be put else where.... but... I like mars!

laurele
2008-Mar-26, 03:24 PM
I'm glad about this, but I wonder what project just lost another four million dollars.

Does it have to be another space exploration project that lost the four million? At the risk of sounding political, there are a lot of other areas in the federal budget that can afford such a cut.

Trocisp
2008-Mar-26, 03:32 PM
Does it have to be another space exploration project that lost the four million? At the risk of sounding political, there are a lot of other areas in the federal budget that can afford such a cut.Yes, but the 4 million came from the NASA Budget.

Jeff Root
2008-Mar-26, 03:44 PM
I didn't read the linked article, but I did just read the news elsewhere, and
as I understand it the $4 million cut was prompted by the project for the
upcoming Mars rover(s) going over budget, by much more than $4 million.
Both projects are conducted by JPL, so my ignorant opinion is that NASA
headquarters could let JPL decide how to handle the shortfall. It is quite
possible that NASA HQ has been trying to get JPL to do exactly that, but
hasn't been successful.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Noclevername
2008-Mar-26, 10:40 PM
Ow! I've got whiplash!

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-26, 11:56 PM
If it would help, I'd take a job and send them all the money. Heck, I'd take two jobs, and sell lemonade, and donate blood, but there's no way I could get 4 million.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-28, 03:22 PM
I had a great idea! What if they take out a full-page add in the New York Times asking every reader to send them one dollar? I mean, the NYT probably has way more that 4 million readers.

Trocisp
2008-Mar-28, 03:24 PM
I had a great idea! What if they take out a full-page add in the New York Times asking every reader to send them one dollar? I mean, the NYT probably has way more that 4 million readers.

NYT Readers:
1,120,420 Daily
1,627,062 Sunday

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-28, 09:12 PM
NYT Readers:
1,120,420 Daily
1,627,062 Sunday
That's great! Now how do we get them to follow that plan?

Trocisp
2008-Mar-29, 01:01 AM
That's great! Now how do we get them to follow that plan?You may want to look at those numbers again.
NYT Readers:
1,120,420 Daily
1,627,062 Sunday
If everyone sent a dollar a piece, and surely most wouldn't, it would be only 1.1 million dollars.

I have no idea how much it would cost or how many would really send anything in... I was just point out that if everyone did, they wouldn't get 4 million.

Lord Jubjub
2008-Mar-29, 02:28 AM
Consider that the local Houston Public Radio Station regularly pulls in nearly $1.5 million a year. I wonder what would happen if NASA tapped into that spirit and asked for donations for certain missions?

I gotta think a nationwide appeal for for $4 millions dollars a year could keep the rovers alive until they collapsed in a heap of red dust.

Trocisp
2008-Mar-29, 12:47 PM
I'd donate a hundred or so a month myself, probably.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-29, 05:18 PM
I didn't mean just one Sunday, maybe they could do it a few consecutive times.

Trocisp
2008-Mar-29, 05:37 PM
I mean, a lot of people would donate money to it. It could get quite a bit of private donations from companies with a vested interest in more space funding, for cheaper satellite launches, among other things.

Jeff Root
2008-Mar-29, 06:08 PM
Donations go up; government funding goes down; net loss.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-30, 01:19 AM
You learn something new every day. Today I learned that the New York Times is not as popular as I thought.

Jeff Root
2008-Mar-30, 11:32 PM
TV and Internet have seriously reduced newspaper sales. The consequences
for newsgathering and reporting are already obvious. But they'll get worse.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis