PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night's Simpsons

Normandy6644
2003-Sep-01, 09:13 PM
OK, so I know that we have a lot of topics on the Simpsons here, and why not, because they're awesome. But last night I was watching, and something happened that cracked me up. Lisa had just won her school spelling bee and Principal Skinner said to her, "your prize is a scale model of the planet Mars," to which Lisa replied, "this is just a kickball with the word 'Mars' written on it." That wasn't the best part though. When she got home, Homer took it, saw that it said Mars, examined it and said, "hmm. I see no evidence of water." Absolutely cracked me up. Way to go Simpson's writers. =D>

Dickenmeyer
2003-Sep-02, 03:08 AM
Indeed. I found it very funny from the perspective of a former school spelling bee champion too. West Newton Elementary. 4th Grade. Washed out in the second round of the city finals on a really easy word. Sigh....
Maybe Kang and Kodos stole the water, that's a pretty common (bad)sci-fi plot.

jfribrg
2003-Sep-02, 08:56 PM
I saw a different Simpson's episode last night (the one where they build the monorail in springfield). There is a total eclipse in Springfield, which causes the runaway solar powered monorail to stop. They never say which state Springfield is in, but other episodes make it clear that it is somewhere in the contiguous 48 states, which I believe have not seen a total solar eclipse since the early 70's. This means that no town named Springfield in the lower 48 states could have had a solar eclipse since Homer lost his hair. I did notice that the moon covers the Sun from right to left, which is correct, but it moves much too quick. I'm not complaining about this last point too much, since showing the eclipse in real time would make for a very boring half hour show.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-02, 10:10 PM
i am standing by my belief that Springfield is in Northern California or Washington state.

gethen
2003-Sep-02, 10:57 PM
Noticed that in the episode with the Christmas parade, the weather seemed to be warm and sunny. Kind of favors a southern locale, doesn't it?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-02, 11:26 PM
Alright, let's figure this out... where is Springfield?

It's in a coastal region. (Springfield Squidport)

And... uhh... that's all I've got... 8-[

pmcolt
2003-Sep-02, 11:40 PM
I loved the Mars bit in that episode. I never made it past the county level spelling bee, myself, so I have no idea if I would've washed out of the Spellympics on "I don't know whether the weather will improve." :wink:

Off the top of my head:

Springfield is:
In the northern hemisphere (as opposed to Australia, U-ru-guay, and Rand McNally).
In the United States (unless some other nation has a capitol in Washington, a similar political structure, and identical flag).
In a state founded by circus freaks.
Near the coast (and has a lighthouse).
Near mountains.
Near an area of badlands the size of Texas.
Not in Missouri, Illinois, Florida, or any state east of the Mississippi (It's not Springfield, MO or Springfield, IL. They're banned from Florida and cross the Mississippi on the way to Delaware).
In a state whose postal abbreviation is NT.

Somewhere there's a comprehensive list, but I can't remember where at the moment.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-02, 11:45 PM
There are also numerous road signs. They might not show the distance to a location from Springfield, but would create areas where it cannot be. For instance, if a sign said 300 miles to New York when the Simpsons are on the road, Springfield cannot be within 300 miles of New York. It has to be furter away. A circle with a radius of 300 miles can be drawn around New York. Within this circle, Springfield cannot exist.

If my logic is faulty please tell me.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-03, 12:34 AM
It also has a giant gorge, so it cant be in the American south east. Noy many canyons or gorges there.

They are relatively close to "capitol city". The capital of the state. And they must be in a state that allows Nucular reactors.

They have had a hurricanbe, but that hits both coasts sometimes. But more or less North Carolina, Florida, north east U.S., and Texas.

It snows in the winter, so that rules out Florida and Texas.

North Carolina is relatively hilly, but if i remeber rightt, no deserts or gorges are in it.

The North East U.S. does have ports and small beaches like Springfireld does. They do sometimes get hurricanes. They have plenty of lobsters (remeber that episode?)

Another reason why it is most likely not in the Southeast U.S> is that the7y have basements. Here in Florida and other areas of the south, the water level is so high, nobody have basements.

Plus you see them relaxing outside in the summer, nobody does that here, too hot and muggy.

Thats all i can think of right now.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Sep-03, 01:38 AM
Remember, they actually moved Springfield in one episode after polluting it horribly when Homer became sanitation commissioner. I think this move was a relatively modest few miles down the road, however.

Springfield is just in a physically impossible location, face it :lol:

Humphrey
2003-Sep-03, 03:13 AM
Springfield is just in a physically impossible location, face it :lol:
but...but...but..but...IT MUST BE REAL. ITS ON TV!!!!!!!

[Humphrey dissolves into a sobbering mess.]

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-03, 03:15 AM
Oh dear. It's happened again...

:P

blairg
2003-Sep-03, 04:06 AM
You guys better be careful. If you take a look at http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html
you'll realize a lot of people seem to have dedicated their lives to this question. :D

Odinoneeye
2003-Sep-03, 06:40 AM
What everyone seems to forget is that Springfield is in a two dimensional universe. Physical laws work differently. So thus, 'springfield can exist in every state, in every physical environment and in every time period.

All is Springfield.....

captain swoop
2003-Sep-03, 09:06 AM
snip

This means that no town named Springfield in the lower 48 states could have had a solar eclipse since Homer lost his hair.

snip

And no citizens of the lower 48 states have yellow skin.

pmcolt
2003-Sep-03, 02:58 PM
As long as they have eight fingers and eight toes, all is well.

Jack Higgins
2003-Sep-03, 06:25 PM
In the "Simpsons - behind the laughter" episode, they actually said what state they're in, but i dunno if it's true or not... Someone else must have seen this too surely!!

Donnie B.
2003-Sep-03, 06:39 PM
There's an episode in which one of the characters says something like "You live in Springfield... but which Springfield?"

Lisa answers (paraphrasing), "Well, we never say specifically, but if you look at the clues you can figure it out!"

I think this was just a tease on the part of the writers, aimed at the fan-atics who keep trying to nail it down.

The correct answer, is, of course, Springfield Ohio. Just because. :lol:

SKY
2003-Sep-03, 07:14 PM
I remember an episode when they were looking at a huge map of the US with big red Xs' on every state except two. I don't remember the states, but lets say they were North Dakota and Kansas. Lisa says (paraphrasing)"Well, there are still two states that the Simpsons are allowed in." Then Homer exclaims "WhooHoo, North Dakota...here we come!" wouldn't that mean that they are in the other state or in this case Kansas? :-k

blairg
2003-Sep-04, 03:51 AM
I think the nail in the coffin for people trying to figure out which state they live in was in the episode where Lisa, while pointing at a map, announces that 'Lower Springfield' is three times the size of Texas.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-04, 04:08 AM
Nobody said that it was all above water...

Well I had to try. :P

Paul Beardsley
2003-Sep-05, 04:09 PM
Wow, a bulletin board where people are into astronomy and the Simpsons and who don't take silly theories seriously!

Stating the obvious, but Springfield is clearly an imaginary land that doesn't have to be consistent from one episode to the other - or indeed one scene to another. Once Marge mentioned the school, so she looked out the kitchen window at the school. A little later in the same episode she mentioned the prison, then looked out of the same window in the same direction... at the prison.

That was the same episode that featured a prisoner's painting of Pegasus flying near Saturn - the philistine warder dismissed it on the grounds that Pegasus would have been unable to breathe!

If a story requires Homer to climb a really high mountain, what do the script writers do? Do they give Springfield a really high mountain? No! They give it three really high mountains! And do they refer to the really high mountains in subsequent episodes? No!

Mind you, there's much more continuity in it than there used to be. Homer (and others) frequently face the consequences of their actions in past episodes; Barney, who gave up alcohol some time ago, has managed to stay off it (apart from one r-e-l-a-p-s-e); characters like Maud Flanders die, and Ned spends ages dealing with the grief; and Seymour and Edna's relationship continues to develop

It used to bother me that Bart, Lisa and Maggie never get any older (Lisa has already had at least three 8th birthdays!) whereas Apu can go from single to married to having babies to having toddlers... and Bart and Lisa can remember events from years that precede their birth. But I got over it...

...At least I think I have.

Paul

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-05, 08:38 PM
We know that it's a fake town, but it might represent a real place in the writer's minds. It may be based on reality, with story elements (like mountains) added. Plus it gives us an excuse to talk about the Simpsons... :P

SouthofHeaven
2003-Sep-05, 10:11 PM
They revealed Springfield to be in Kentucky.

Don't ask me why. It's in the Companion books I have that has episode abstracts and tidbits.

frenat
2003-Sep-05, 10:13 PM
It can't be in Kentucky. There are no deserts or oceans nearby.

Normandy6644
2003-Sep-06, 03:28 AM
it was a joke about the kentucky thing....if I remember right they said it in the Behind the Laughter episode. they actually recorded 2 different locations.....not sure of the other one though

Humphrey
2003-Sep-07, 12:35 AM
Yah ive noticed the continuity lately in the episodes. I like it. Not only that i weant to know where the track for the monorail went and where that giant escilator to nowhere went.