PDA

View Full Version : Cool Unidentified Astronomical Sight.

dave_
2008-Mar-28, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post as I have a question about something me and my friend saw a couple of weeks ago.

We were driving and came around a corner near a farm [yes there's always a farm involved, isn't there?] and as we were stopped at the corner all of a sudden there was like a bright green flash in the sky which then shot towards the ground. Now I aint no believer but summin tells me there's UFO's around these parts!

Haha just kidding, the acronym was never even mentioned during the event. It was more like, Hey that was a really cool thing we just saw! Some sort of thing we cannot explain as we lack any sort of real knowledge when it comes to astornomical events. But did I mention how cool it was?

So any ideas on what it could have been? Is this an astronomical event or is it more likely it was an earthly happening, the effects of some random thing on Earth we just happened to see.

Any ideas/input are much appreciated!

:)

dave_
2008-Mar-28, 06:13 PM
Oh crap! I posted in the complete most utterly incorrect sub-forum ever! Haha, I shall re-post and a mod can delete this :)

dcl
2008-Apr-23, 02:11 AM
dave: "all of a sudden there was like a bright green flash in the sky which then shot towards the ground. "
-- Sounds similar to something I saw in the summer of 1939 when I was a senior in high school and an avid amateur astronomer. What I saw was a pale greenish object, not dazzlingly bright but bright enough to catch my attention while I was already looking at the sky. It moved across the sky at speed that would be moderate for a meteor My guess then, and still is, is that what I saw was a bolide. I suspect that you saw a a type of bolide. There seems to be no universal agreement on the physical nature of a bolide. One suggestion is that one type might be an icy comet. I believe that that definitiion could have fitted what I saw and could fit what you saw. If it was an icy comet, not moving very fast, it could have appeared to have a circular disk and fade away as it evaporated. That's only a guess.