PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid coming in 2014

George
2003-Sep-02, 06:54 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Center told BBC radio

.....How true might this be? Sounds believable. No mention of speed, mass or other info.

daver
2003-Sep-02, 08:18 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Center told BBC radio

.....How true might this be? Sounds believable. No mention of speed, mass or other info.

No idea. 2014 is an annoying date--a crash program might get an Orion-type ship to the asteroid in time to do something about it, but nobody's going to do that if the odds are a million to one against. This looks like a "wait a few weeks" type of story.

Would the story get more press if the impact date coincided with the "end" of the Mayan calendar?

Krel
2003-Sep-02, 09:52 PM
As you read this, there is a race going on in Hollywood to be the first to get a film or mini-series into production.

Oh, I forgot, the astronomy in the movie, or mini-series will be bad too.

David.

George
2003-Sep-02, 09:53 PM
I agree. Looks like a "cliff hanger" so well all stay tuned for the next episode... :)

Humphrey
2003-Sep-02, 10:06 PM
As said by a great man: "Remember folks to keep your minds free of thought for this one. It is expected to be an action-packed thriller.". I think that sums up the proposed movie nicely. (i am sure there will be one)

mutant
2003-Sep-03, 03:33 PM
yes, I saw a news brief about this on tv last night. It is already starting. <sigh>

mike alexander
2003-Sep-03, 10:14 PM
What's the title? Deep DoDo ?

George
2003-Sep-03, 11:17 PM
So how do we profit from the hysteria.

a) Anti-asteroid debris reflective springs. Easily installed on roof tops. Matching drab roof colors available at no extra charge.

b) New homes made of concrete dome roofs with structural post tensioned steel. Available with parapet to allow for yard work on the roof. It might me nice to mow my roof now and then and enjoy the view.

c) Underwater subdivisions down deep for real protection and great fishing.

Chuck
2003-Sep-05, 04:05 AM
We should have migrated to Planet X when it was nearby.

daver
2003-Sep-05, 10:27 PM
What's the title? Deep DoDo ?

And Dexter's Lab will do a spoof called "Dupe DeeDee"?

darkhunter
2003-Sep-07, 06:22 PM
Turns out to be a false alarm... (http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/05/asteroid.miss/index.html)

George
2003-Sep-07, 09:27 PM
Turns out to be a false alarm... (http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/05/asteroid.miss/index.html)

Interesting that this seems to be the latest media mood swing.

But someone please help me out here. When it was 1 in a million shot, it was big news.

now the odds have doubled and it is no big deal #-o #-o #-o

check it out yourself.... http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

So what am I not getting? #-o

George
2003-Sep-07, 09:30 PM
Here is the latest JPL report per the site shown in above post.

Impact Probability: 2.3e-06
0.000230000% chance of Earth impact
or
1 in 435,000 chance

RichField
2003-Sep-08, 02:05 AM
Here is the latest JPL report per the site shown in above post.

Impact Probability: 2.3e-06
0.000230000% chance of Earth impact
or
1 in 435,000 chance

If I'm reading that page you quoted earlier correctly, that's the cumulative impact probability over the time frame listed, which is 2009-2100. Not necessarily for the 2014 date that had been widely publicized.

George
2003-Sep-08, 03:16 AM
If I'm reading that page you quoted earlier correctly, that's the cumulative impact probability over the time frame listed, which is 2009-2100. Not necessarily for the 2014 date that had been widely publicized.

Yes... you are correct. Although the odds are twice as likely to hit us than the odds the press got excited about, it is spread out over the 91 year period. Yet, I'm surprised heels have cooled so quickly. I should be pleased I suppose.

Thanks.

tracer
2003-Sep-09, 08:16 PM
Aw, look ... the artist's conception is heart-shaped! Ain't that precious?