PDA

View Full Version : Explaining Dark Matter and Contradicting the Big Bang

Fraser
2008-Mar-31, 06:20 PM
It’s well-known that “Big Bang” was a derogatory name given to the cosmological theory of the expanding (not exploding) universe in an attempt to discredit the idea. But, the name stuck and with the discovery of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) in 1964, the theory has stuck, too. However, every once [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/31/explaining-dark-matter-and-contradicting-the-big-bang/)

francesday
2008-Apr-01, 07:16 AM
I have been checking this story out since it seems so interesting and even major news channels are covering it. But on the NASA site there are three references to these guys and their research, dated 1989, 1990 and 1991. :think:

I notice that today is 1st April. Are we the subject of some scientific hoaxing here, or is the research really new?

When I see something reported as a new ground-breaking idea that will smash other theories, and then find they have been around for ages, I wonder if they have been discarded by the scientific community and some news-hound has just found something to fill out a couple of pages.

antoniseb
2008-Apr-01, 11:57 AM
I notice that today is 1st April. Are we the subject of some scientific hoaxing here, or is the research really new?

I don't know if this is a AFD joke, but the writeup here doesn't provide enough links to anything substantial in terms of numbers showing how this could work. It sounds like easily debunked handwaving to me.

I imagine that the WMAP team will eat this for breakfast.