PDA

View Full Version : Universe-Nebulae- The History Channel

matthewota
2008-Apr-02, 05:57 AM
A shameless blurb for the astronomy club I am in. The episode "Nebulae" includes footage shot at the Orange County Astronomers Anza Observing site, showing club members setting up telescopes, and a member setting up an SBIG CCD camera on the clubs 22 inch Kuhn telescope.

The club is proud that it did its part in promoting astroimaging....as well as amateur astronomy.

Matthew Ota
Orange County Astronomers (http://ocastronomers.org)

Jim
2008-Apr-02, 07:39 PM
So, when is it airing?

redshifter
2008-Apr-02, 07:42 PM
I saw part of it last night, including the footage of setting up astroimaging equipment. The show did a pretty good job of explaining astroimaging, at least from a layman point of view. I liked the CG views of the Orion nebula from just a few light years out, as well as inside the nebula. Had to go to bed after that, it was on at midnight local time (PDT).

matthewota
2008-Apr-03, 01:23 AM
Yes astroimaging is such a high tech hobby, that they had to simplify it for the lay public. I was very impressed about the "Hubble Palette" filters, too, as this is a new technology that is just reaching the amateur astronomy market.

Like Tim Ferris' "Seeing in the Dark" program a few months ago, the target audience is not astronomers, but the lay public.

matthewota
2008-Apr-03, 01:24 AM
So, when is it airing?

You have to check your local listings, or go to History Channel's web page.

darkdrag0nlq
2008-Apr-03, 05:31 AM
I just caught this a few hours ago, nice plug there. I wish they would go into more detail with these shows, but again it isn't meant for us so oh well.

hawaii50girl
2008-Apr-03, 06:31 PM
I caught this at on History Channel on Tuesday. From what I saw of the show it looked pretty good. I had to watch it at 1am because I watching three different shows around 9pm and 9:30pm. I watched half of it and then went to bed because I was tired. I will try to catch the rest of it On Demand when it comes on the History Channel on Comcast On Demand.

NGCHunter
2008-Apr-04, 02:45 PM
I don't get the history channel anymore, but by "Hubble Palette" do they mean tri-color narrowband imaging?