PDA

View Full Version : Bottled water or tap water?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Apr-03, 02:31 PM
Bottled water or tap water?

closetgeek
2008-Apr-03, 02:38 PM
On Long Island, my pediatrician told me that the fluoride in tap water was actually good for baby teeth so it was always tap. Down here, with well water, tap tastes like it was seasoned with Nair, so we just use a filter system.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Apr-03, 02:39 PM
I just use a Brita....does the trick

Neverfly
2008-Apr-03, 02:43 PM
Tap is supposedly fortified.

Wasn't there a thread on this before? I recall arguing with Lonewulf...

But to reduce the conflict in my own life:
Dr Pepper.

Matherly
2008-Apr-03, 02:48 PM
Rainwater and Grain Alcohol, of course.

I must maintain my Purity of Essence.

tlbs101
2008-Apr-03, 03:06 PM
We use a Brita filter, but the quality of the Albuquerque aquifer water is quite good. Albuquerque is switching over to a mix of underground water and Rio Grande water that is actually pumped over from the western portion of the continental divide from another water-shed -- quite a piece of engineering work; the Chama river project.

After the switch I imagine the Brita filter will be necessary, rather than just a luxury.

We have a 2.5 gallon (9.5 liter) 'tank' in our refrigerator to keep the water nice and cold.

Swift
2008-Apr-03, 03:12 PM

:lol:

Since I'm a commie ;) I drink tap water.

Every study I've seen as shown that most cities' tap water is as pure (if not purer) than any of the bottled waters. And all those plastic bottles are making a lot of garbage and are wasting a lot of crude oil.

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-03, 03:17 PM
I do, because I'm cheap and lazy.

Every study I've seen as shown that most cities' tap water is as pure (if not purer) than any of the bottled waters. And all those plastic bottles are making a lot of garbage and are wasting a lot of crude oil.
Absolutely. Even when our water has that algea essence to it (about a week out of the year) I still trust that it's safe enough.

closetgeek
2008-Apr-03, 03:19 PM
Our water is fortified with sulfur...mmm
Every year someone starts up a rumor that we are going city water and sewers and every year I cross my fingers.

Torsten
2008-Apr-03, 03:22 PM
Our tap water is fine for drinking, but it is hard enough that my coffee maker would periodically need an acid cleaning, so I use bottled water mainly for making coffee.

mike alexander
2008-Apr-03, 03:40 PM
Tap water, of course. It's a little hard from the well, but I just turn on the faucet and cut off the necessary lengths.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-03, 04:27 PM
I have a filter on the faucet. I use filtered water for drinking, making ice cubes, and cooking. For washing dishes, I don't worry about it!

cjl
2008-Apr-03, 05:17 PM
Tap water. Of course, I drink a fair amount of bottled water too, but it isn't very pure - it's got all kinds of sugar, and coloring, and other such contaminants in it ;)

Larry Jacks
2008-Apr-03, 06:00 PM
I use a Brita filter for tap water. There's no way I'm going to pay for bottled water - most of it costs more than gasoline!

Old cliche but still true: Evian is naive spelled backwards.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Apr-03, 06:19 PM
Tap, from private well. Very good for drinking, and quite cold straight out of the hose.

Put in a 3/4 hp pump last year. We get very nice pressure even with every tap in the house wide open. The toilet fills in about 20 seconds.

Argos
2008-Apr-03, 06:26 PM
Most tap water down here [my state] comes straight from the aquifer and its pure and crystalline. Treatment adds fluoride. But Im really a gasified bottled water buff.

Mister Earl
2008-Apr-03, 06:33 PM

I had a long-winded point already typed up when I'd read Matherly's post.
How can I possibly follow that? So, in the form of fark:

"THIS!"

The Supreme Canuck
2008-Apr-03, 07:10 PM
Filter. But only because the water in Kingston tastes... funky. Otherwise, it's tap.

Trebuchet
2008-Apr-03, 07:19 PM
I voted "other" but what I really needed was "all of the above". Our tap water here in Everett, WA is very good (especially since they started filtering the asbestos out about 20 years ago) but the water at our vacation home, from a community water system, is safe but tastes bad so we use bottled or filtered water there. I also keep a Brita pitcher in the fridge at each place, partially just to have a good cold supply. I use Brita water in the coffee makers as well to reduce cleaning.

And I'm quite partial to carbonated (seltzer) water on occasion.

Jay200MPH
2008-Apr-03, 08:54 PM
Tap water. Fortunately they don't put flouride in it here. On the other hand it is pretty 'hard' - your pots can get calcium deposits if you don't dry them off after washing. I don't know where it comes from - probably out of the local lakes.

The big trend here is carbonated "mineral water." I'm sure it comes out of the tap at some point, but it is nicely filtered. I can't be bothered though.

- J

redshifter
2008-Apr-03, 11:18 PM
Good 'ol tap, flourodated and all. Tastes good where I live.

Jigsaw
2008-Apr-04, 02:48 AM
Anything that says "spring water" on it, since if you get bottled water that says "Pure Water", it's just tap water from some municipal water supply. We get gallons, for the teakettle, and 16.9 oz. bottles, for drinking.

Our Lake Decatur tap water may be safe to drink (they mail us a report every year that says so), but it smells awful, since it's full of algae from agricultural runoff, so they have to add extra lime (when I had aquariums, the pH straight out of the tap was always off the scale, requiring much addition of sodium biphosphate to bring it down to a level where it wouldn't blast the fish's slime coat right off them).

We also think it's probably not good to be drinking atrazine, nitrates, and other agricultural chemicals, which the water plant does not remove, and which the water quality report does not screen for.

http://www.ci.decatur.il.us/watermanagement/Water_Quality_2007.pdf

Gillianren
2008-Apr-04, 02:59 AM
Anything that says "spring water" on it, since if you get bottled water that says "Pure Water", it's just tap water from some municipal water supply. We get gallons, for the teakettle, and 16.9 oz. bottles, for drinking.

I hate to disillusion you . . . .

danscope
2008-Apr-04, 04:00 AM
Tap.
Yes sir, if ya drill down about 515 feet through pink granite, then you get
35 gallons a minute of the finest artesian water anywhere.
Free for the pumping. Well: $ 2500 . Good water: priceless.
Best regards, Dan

Jens
2008-Apr-04, 09:32 AM
I'll drink from the tap. But most of the time, the water I get is filtered through special machinery and fortified with Merlot or Cabernet grapes.

geonuc
2008-Apr-04, 10:56 AM
:lol:

Agreed - with all of it, including the precious bodily fluid part.

weatherc
2008-Apr-04, 03:02 PM
If my house were sitting on top of a lot of granite, like my grandparents' former home in Maine, I would drink the water straight out of the tap.

However, since I'm sitting on what could be an iron mine if anyone bothered to claim the mineral rights, I drink it bottled. Our tap water doesn't even taste right when it's run through an acid neutralizer and a water softener.

I hate, hate, hate the water here. It would be nice if we had municipal water in my town. However, since they installed the sewers (we had private septic tanks around here), my taxes are now going through the roof. I imagine it would be cheaper for me to continue to buy bottled water than to let the government install yet another thing that they would overcharge me for.

mike alexander
2008-Apr-04, 05:06 PM
However, since I'm sitting on what could be an iron mine if anyone bothered to claim the mineral rights, I drink it bottled. Our tap water doesn't even taste right when it's run through an acid neutralizer and a water softener.

Hopatcong? I lived 10 years in Morris Plains, just a long stone's throw away.

Not far from Franklin. You sitting on the same funky mineral belt that runs trhough there?

weatherc
2008-Apr-04, 05:26 PM
Hopatcong? I lived 10 years in Morris Plains, just a long stone's throw away.

Not far from Franklin. You sitting on the same funky mineral belt that runs trhough there?
Yes, I am.

And, I'm not quite kidding about the mining bit. There was quite a bit of mining that went on in the area. Franklin, Dover, Mine Hill, etc. Well, you would probably know that; I'm mostly stating it for the benefit of those that haven't lived in this area.

Whirlpool
2008-Apr-05, 02:31 AM
Tap- For cooking and for washing dishes and clothes

Filtered - For drinking

Siguy
2008-Apr-05, 04:36 PM
I voted tap. In the town I live in, everyone has a well. The water in Pelham was once renowned for "healing properties." While those may not exist, the water here is excellent.

This (http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20071202) is a great Doonesbury comic.

Torsten
2008-Apr-05, 05:00 PM
This (http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20071202) is a great Doonesbury comic.

Funny. They used to (and perhaps still do) sell canned BC air in the tourist souvenir shops here. Probably do it in a lot of places. . . .