PDA

View Full Version : Playing violent computer games chills you out

DyerWolf
2008-Apr-04, 02:23 PM
Link (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/04/violent-behaviour-isnt-caused)

I found this to be true. When I returned from combat in Iraq, my anger-response was tuned to the battlefield; not to dealing with average Americans back home.

Since I returned not to work, but to continue my post-graduate studies, I had all the free time of a student. A friend with whom I had served in combat and I played hours of Battlefield 1942- the Desert Combatmod - which simulates combat in the Middle East. The hours of play each week allowed me to vent my frustrations in a healthy way - rather than by raining all over someone else's parade.

I credit the gaming with part of my rehabilitation to 'normal' civilian life.

Links to other sample studies/articles:
Link 1 (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4806921)
Link 2 (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/articles/20070808.aspx)

Mister Earl
2008-Apr-04, 05:06 PM
I'm headed overseas later this year myself. Where we don't know, yet. SRP is next week. I like a good shooter, myself. Current favorite is "Enemy Territory: Return to Castle Wolfenstein". It's free, too, and a great game. Double win.

Moose
2008-Apr-04, 05:13 PM
I have a lot of fun with the Halo series in co-op mode. My friend and I are good partners with the Warthog. He's a better shot, I'm a much better driver.

I love playing with the tank, too, but I keep getting far too tempted to announce "Firing main cannon" in a friendly 'RedVsBlue' sing-song voice before I unload on something.

He's not much good at stealth, though. He's kind of like a yappy dog trying to sneak through a cat show. Oh well, at least I had plenty of sniper rifle ammo left over for the next stage.

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-04, 05:14 PM
I found this to be true. When I returned from combat in Iraq, my anger-response was tuned to the battlefield; not to dealing with average Americans back home.
The article seems to re-inforce my thoughts on the subject. For some people it's a good anger release, and they seperate the gaming life from the normal life. (in the same way Wile E Coyote is violent)

I've always worried about those people who play the violent games because they like that kind of thing.

Basically, the not-exactly-groundbreaking report doesn’t really prove anything, except that if a person was violent to start with, games won’t make much difference to that, and if a person is a calm and easy going person, all that blood and gore is likely to just send them off to sleep.

I like the last line about identifying those with everyday aggression...The ones stomping on their consoles after losing, perhaps?
:lol:

Fazor
2008-Apr-04, 05:30 PM
Playing violent games can "chill me out"...playing non violent games can "chill me out".

Other times, playing games can inrage me (if it's not going my way). I play World of Warcraft almost exclusively now...I generally stay pretty neutral emotionally...it's not exactly the most high-paced adriniline-inducing game.

The effects of video games on people's emotional state is going to be different from person to person. But I never endorse the idea that violent games cause non-violent people to be violent. I'm not convinced in the least that there's been a single violent act commited by a person because of a video game, who would have not been prone to violent reactions if not for video games.

Violent people probably are drawn to violent games...that doesn't mean the game caused them to be violent.

Anyway to get back on topic, yes I think "violent"...or more accurately, exciting (whatever one finds that to be) games can certianly be a virtual punching-bag.

Gruesome
2008-Apr-04, 05:47 PM
I find playing drums accomplishes the same thing.

Doodler
2008-Apr-04, 06:12 PM
The key for me is to immerse myself in the game to separate the focus of my attention away from what set me off in a rotten mood in the first place. So whether its setting up a factory run while ice mining in EVE or slaloming a stolen ambulance down the boardwalk, killing hundreds, in GTA San Andreas, its a clear break in the stream of comsciousness that divorces me from the trigger situation.

cjl
2008-Apr-04, 06:20 PM
I've discovered that HL2 is great at getting you away from anything, and completely immersing you in the game.

Moose
2008-Apr-04, 06:26 PM
I've discovered that HL2 is great at getting you away from anything, and completely immersing you in the game.

But for some reason, I keep wanting cake...

DyerWolf
2008-Apr-04, 06:47 PM
...I've always worried about those people who play the violent games because they like that kind of thing.

I play the violent (combat) games because I do like that kind of thing. It's part of the reason I stayed in the Marines as long as I did.

Personally, I think its good for our society that we have big, dangerous guys who are willing to go into harm's way for everyone else. They let the soft, security-unconscious enjoy life and the antics of Paris Hilton (okay, we like photos and videos of Paris, too.)

The people you have to worry about are the crazies and chemically imbalanced. They killed plenty of people long before Pong first entered people's living rooms - and as Fazor said - they're not committing violence or mayhem due to any inducement from the game; they were already unfit for society to begin with.

Tog
2008-Apr-04, 06:57 PM
But for some reason, I keep wanting cake...

The cake is a lie!

I had a really bad day the other day. Lots of people at work that I think should be under close watch in a big room with little windows. When I came home, I logged on to my Brute (all melee damage and a bigger damage bonus the longer you fight) in City of Villains and went to town for a few missions. after a while I started to nod off.

My opinion has always been that a "normal" person who plays a violent game might get just as much enjoyment from a non-violent one. A violent nut-case type will not find any joy in something like The Sims, so ALL games they play will be violent.

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-04, 07:10 PM
I play the violent (combat) games because I do like that kind of thing. It's part of the reason I stayed in the Marines as long as I did.
The violence or the combat?... two different things in my mind.

crosscountry
2008-Apr-04, 07:20 PM
we have the newest Halo at my house. I play only to spend time with my brother. Otherwise I've never turned it on.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-04, 07:25 PM
My personal favorite to get aggression out of the system is Postal 2, it is the epitome of inappropriate. . . well, everything.

RalofTyr
2008-Apr-04, 07:28 PM
There was a study out, or I think Penn and Teller's Bull**** show, that stated releasing anger makes one more likely to commit acts of anger.

And violent video games don't really chill me out. Whenever I get fragged, I want to go and frag them back. I've even punched my keyboard out of fustration. Good thing I found it in the trash...

DyerWolf
2008-Apr-04, 07:28 PM
A part of me likes both.

However, I've always been in control of that part. The thing is; I'm good at violence and combat. People tend to enjoy things they're good at.

Boxing, jiu-jitsu and hand-to-hand combat training have always been some of my favorite pastimes. Punching and being punched in the ring is excellent training. I'm also an expert shot and a good commander. My Marines typically out-performed their peers and other units we went up against.

I enjoyed surfing, skiing and mountainbiking partially for the fact that sometimes you wipe out. Football too.

Among the many emotions I felt in combat, satisfaction and enjoyment had their place along with the fear and anger. As did humor. A very black humor...

Ask any tanker and most will admit that open combat from an M1-A1 has its joys. It's one of the things we try to help our returning veterans accept and deal with when they return to civilian life. 'How could I enjoy something that everyone thinks is so awful?' It troubles some people...

Just not me.

idav
2008-Apr-04, 07:42 PM
Interesting perspective on the issue. As a long time player of violent video games I'm not sure that I'd say that it would chill the average person, but your assertions don't really suggest that do they?

What certainly can be said though, violent video games never killed anyone, people have.

Vermonter
2008-Apr-04, 07:51 PM
There are studies out there that relates catharsis to violence. Penn & Teller's show did cover some of it, and it is mostly right on. But what the studies showed was that being violent towards something else to express your anger - whether it be screaming into a pillow, beating a pillow with a bat, or breaking things - is only going to increase anger later on.

What I see here is that people who are frustrated and angry are distracting themselves through the game - whether it be Half-Life 2, The Sims, Postal II, or the latest Tiger Woods golf game - that is, they do something they like to distract themselves and let the anger settle down and go away in a non-destructive manner.

I do this frequently. If I've had a really rough day, I'll distract myself with Mario Kart or HL2, and soon enough I am no longer interested in being angry, and the feelings have gone away in place of the happy feelings I get when I cause havok on the virtual track.

The problem lies in that when you vent in a destructive manner, you focus on that rage and anger. It goes away after a while, but it keeps bubbling up. Little things will spark it again, and it becomes a cycle.

See, college psychology can be fun!

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 07:53 PM
Interesting perspective on the issue. As a long time player of violent video games I'm not sure that I'd say that it would chill the average person, but your assertions don't really suggest that do they?

What certainly can be said though, violent video games never killed anyone, people have.

I played RayMan once.
Has to be the gayest game I've ever played. I was dripping pink by the time I tossed the controller to the floor.

Yet trying to get the (cursed) character to do what you are trying to get him to do...(curse) (curse) (CENSORED)

May as well take up a nice peaceful round of Golf.

Moose
2008-Apr-04, 07:53 PM

For me it's the combat. Or rather, the puzzle-problem-solving aspect of combat. I like tactical planning and seeing a plan execute perfectly (and I've got some Red Alert stories, among others...) I like logistical planning (games like Railroad Tycoon 2 and similar). And I like strategic planning (games like Risk.)

soylentgreen
2008-Apr-04, 08:00 PM
Personally, I think its good for our society that we have big, dangerous guys who are willing to go into harm's way for everyone else. They let the soft, security-unconscious enjoy life and the antics of Paris Hilton (okay, we like photos and videos of Paris, too.)

Ugh! :mad: I consider the idea that you're serving to cover us "soft" proles at home obnoxious and insulting.

That you can face up to a personal need to shoot and kill and need an outlet, be it video games or real humans, is an admirable example of frank introspection. However, you're "ok"ness with being(based on the logical extrapolation of your post) a sort of weaponized sociopath makes me wonder how to feel with you walking down a local Main Street.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 08:51 PM
Bold Mine:

Ugh! :mad: That kind of wholesale elitist martial garbage may fly at the VFW, but for intelligent, thinking citizens, the idea that you're serving to cover us "soft" proles at home is obnoxious and insulting.

That you can face up to a personal need to shoot and kill and need an outlet, be it video games or real humans, is an admirable example of frank introspection. However, you're "ok"ness with being a sort of weaponized sociopath makes me wonder how to feel with you walking down a local Main Street.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you'll end up with some suburban police department, pulling Great Santini's on the local youth...what with the absence of some real humans to shoot at.
Soylentgreen has viewed the thread- Ignored my PM and moved on- so...[ETA: He Replied to my PM aggressively after filling in my post]

First: Referring to any member of the Armed Forces as a "Weaponized Sociopath" is so wrong on so many counts that I don't even know where to begin.

Claiming that someone who either serves in the military or plays a video game feels a need to literally Shoot Up Real Humans is disturbing at the least and not just insulting- but derogatory and filled with bitter spite.

Asserting that any member of the Armed Forces is unsafe to walk down the street or you perceive a soldier to be a threat while walking down the street is appalling, disgusting and attributing characteristics to members of the military that seemingly exist only within the confines of your mind.

Claiming that any member of the Armed Forces Or Police Force try to abuse, attack or assault citizens and Youths for the sake of venting aggression in the absence of real humans to shoot at is a jab not only at the military but the police as well.

closetgeek
2008-Apr-04, 09:24 PM
For me it's the combat. Or rather, the puzzle-problem-solving aspect of combat. I like tactical planning and seeing a plan execute perfectly (and I've got some Red Alert stories, among others...) I like logistical planning (games like Railroad Tycoon 2 and similar). And I like strategic planning (games like Risk.)

Exactly. I don't know many people that pick games specifically because of their violence. Of course most of the gamers I know will run out and buy a game because of the hype, but most people pick games for the content, not the level of violence. I like trying to figure out how to beat the level or boss. Yes, on occassion I turn into angry german kid but for the most part, when I walk away from the game, I walk away from the frustration, as do most people I know.

Originally Posted by DyerWolf

Ugh! That kind of wholesale elitist martial garbage may fly at the VFW, but for intelligent, thinking citizens, the idea that you're serving to cover us "soft" proles at home is obnoxious and insulting.

Soylentgreen, I respectfully disagree. First, it sounds like you are suggesting that anyone that agrees with Dyerwolf is not an intelligent, thinking citizen. While my level of intelligence may be debatable, I don't think I am alone in agreeing with Dyer. If it wasn't for "weaponized sociopaths" I wonder if I would be able to sit in front the computer, eating crackers and cheese, debating this issue at all. Call them what you want, they are braver than I...

DyerWolf
2008-Apr-04, 10:07 PM
...makes me wonder how to feel with you walking down a local Main Street.

You should feel safe.

I'm the guy who is going to intervene on your behalf, should I see you attacked by a true psycho/sociopath.

All - Soylentgreen's response comes across as a bit of an ad-hom, but since he/she's never done that to me before: it's no big deal.

For what it's worth, I didn't imply that everyone who is not a big, dangerous guy is soft and security-unconscious. Just that those particular folks enjoy the fruit of our labors.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 10:18 PM
PM replied to- Post no longer on hold and now filled in.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-04, 10:27 PM
First: Referring to any member of the Armed Forces as a "Weaponized Sociopath" is so wrong on so many counts that I don't even know where to begin.
You do know that some sociopaths do get in, right?
And that they are issued weapons.
And that they are therefore technically weaponized sociopaths?
And that it would therefore be correct to refer to some members of the armed forces as weaponized sociopaths?

Apart from that, I see it as an in-kind response to the equally insulting comment made in his characterization of everyone not military:

They let the soft, security-unconscious enjoy life and the antics of Paris Hilton (okay, we like photos and videos of Paris, too.)

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2008-Apr-04, 10:36 PM
DyerWolf, we want you on that wall. We need you on that wall.

Since I have no desire to pick up a weapon and stand a post, I'll just say, "thank you," and be on my way.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 10:51 PM
DyerWolf, we want you on that wall. We need you on that wall.

Since I have no desire to pick up a weapon and stand a post, I'll just say, "thank you," and be on my way.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

You do know that some sociopaths do get in, right?
And that they are issued weapons.
And that they are therefore technically weaponized sociopaths?
And that it would therefore be correct to refer to some members of the armed forces as weaponized sociopaths?

By that logic, then since innocent people get on Death Row- then everyone on death row is innocent and should be freed.

It took a great amount of effort to not totally fly off the handle on that post.
I'm talking Donald Duck, Happy Gilmore, frustrated golfer type fly off.

Frankly- I amazed myself with my restraint.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-04, 11:33 PM
I agree that it is wrong to refer to all military personnel as weaponized sociopaths and apologize for giving you the impression that I think otherwise.

I think we both missed tone of voice in our posts.
I was trying to not generalize to all, while trying to complain about what I felt was a generalization to none where there are some.

While trying to convey that DyerWolf's attitude of looking down on everyone non-military is also highly insulting.

It looks like I failed.

Spacewriter
2008-Apr-04, 11:35 PM
I bought Delta Force a long time ago as a way to chill out when I was working at a stressful job...

Neverfly
2008-Apr-04, 11:50 PM
I agree that it is wrong to refer to all military personnel as weaponized sociopaths and apologize for giving you the impression that I think otherwise.

I think we both missed tone of voice in our posts.
I was trying to not generalize to all, while trying to complain about what I felt was a generalization to none where there are some.

While trying to convey that DyerWolf's attitude of looking down on everyone non-military is also highly insulting.

It looks like I failed.
That or my defenses were up.

Going back over the thread- I can see where DyerWolf could easily have been misinterpreted.
Likewise- after a LONG PM session with Soylentgreen after tempers flared on a couple sides there as each person read more into what was said than the poster intended, I think he and I understand eachother better now ( I hope.)

Perhaps Soylent can post in better clarity later- But this is just one of those topics that has a passion about it.
Treating civilians like soft weaklings is nonsense.
Treating Military like boneheaded sociapathic killers is nonsense too.

I bought Delta Force a long time ago as a way to chill out when I was working at a stressful job...
I know of so many gaming websites that have "Shoot up your office" schemes to them:p
You can smash your computer- demolish your desk eetc.
One bad one on Adult Swim has a guy running around his office suicidal using office machines to grant him freedom in oblivion.

Tinaa
2008-Apr-05, 12:10 AM

I'm glad you serve for me. I'd be awful in combat. Sometimes I wonder why I'm a teacher! ;-)

Thanks

Doodler
2008-Apr-05, 01:41 AM
Ugh! :mad: I consider the idea that you're serving to cover us "soft" proles at home obnoxious and insulting.

Peachy, dude, just keep in mind, he's right. Would I handle combat well? I dunno, after my twenty-first pair of underwear and the first meal actually held down and fully digested that week, I might adapt to the kind of life he leads.

Its a diametric opposite of what would be considered "normal" in civilian life. And the fact is, these guys coming back from combat tours need about as much defruitcaking as your average cultist who's spent the last year in a cave under a charismatic lunatic.

I don't kowtow and bow quite so much as your typical "support the troops" fanatic, but I do fully understand the unbelievable (and voluntary) psychological trauma these guys inflict on themselves just to get by day to day. I do respect that sacrifice of personal humanity, I just don't fawn over it because they did volunteer for it. If the man says blasting avatars on a computer screen helps him stay sane, hey, I'll chip in for the next expansion for him.

As for the "sociopathy", put it this way, if it weren't for the paranoia level instincts they develop as a part of their lifestyle, the odds are, he'd be returning to the US horizontally in an ornate flagdraped box instead of a little screwloose in the bone box. Take your pick.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-05, 02:17 AM
If the man says blasting avatars on a computer screen helps him stay sane, hey, I'll chip in for the next expansion for him.

Yeah uhhh...:think: blasting avatars keeps me sane.

And you sound like an easy victim too.
It's a good thing I'm sane. But...
I dunno how long that will last because my Playstation went and broke:(...

Oh?

What's that you said?

hey, I'll chip in for the next expansion for him.

Why DOODLER:D I didn't know you cared!

Itakecashcheckcreditcardtravellerschequesandmoney ordersorjustshipitdirectlytomymailingaddress.

Doodler
2008-Apr-05, 02:23 AM
:lol:

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2008-Apr-05, 08:27 PM
Back to the OT, I found that playing Carmageddon 2 after driving home from work was an excellent way to relax after a bad commute, but playing it immediately before driving to work was not a good idea.

Fadingstar
2008-Apr-06, 03:22 AM
I've played Half Life1/2, Halo, Call of Duty2, and GTA Vice City/San Andreas, but I also enjoy Rail Tycoon and most by Sid Miers, especially Civilization 3/4. Always ones you come back to.
I can't say I use them to vent anger per sa, but they are good for letting out frustration when things don't go right elsewhere in Real Life. Curently I'm doing WOW after getting bored with EVE, which was a shame 'cos I'd rather wanted a good MMPG space sim.
And they cancelled the Star Trek MPG they were making :mad:, so vented on WOW :p

Most of my friends play the online shooters, especially Call of Duty 4 on the Xbox, and I would say they have no violent tendencies whatsoever in the real world.
When playing the games, however, I wouldn't trust them with a blunt spoon!

cjl
2008-Apr-06, 10:00 AM
Civ 4 is awesome :D

Doodler
2008-Apr-06, 11:59 AM
Curently I'm doing WOW after getting bored with EVE, which was a shame 'cos I'd rather wanted a good MMPG space sim.

EVE is probably too good a space sim for its own good, sometimes. Its grind wears on you worse than others, because as necessary as it is, the motivation to stay on the grind is very abstract compared to games with an experience point system based on enemies killed or items crafted.

On the other hand, there are elements of its gameplay that make it exceptionally attractive for the long haul (PvP with severe consequences/rewards as well as its exceptional political/diplomacy model), its simply imperative that you find a solid group of people to play with.

I've been at it just over a year now and rarely play anything else. Looking forward to launching my carrier on Monday night. :cool:

Abbadon_2008
2008-Apr-06, 08:06 PM
Grand Theft Auto is my 'chill pill'.

When life gets too stressful, it's good to be able to climb onto a nearby roof with an arsenal of weaponry, and go psotal...so as to not endanger my real-life neighbors, or wind up in prison as somebody's new GF.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-06, 08:11 PM
Ironically, I'm an RPG man. I guess some of my games like Jak II and Jak III could be called violent.
Or Xenogears or Legend of Legaia

But them they are not shoot em up, no plot gunslinger games either.

clint
2008-Apr-06, 10:55 PM
Civ 4 is awesome :D

I found Civ4 a bit confusing, couldn't get used to the new interface...

Moose
2008-Apr-07, 12:49 AM
Hehehe. I just accidentally fried myself in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion after having set the game down for a month or so. My preliminary conclusion is this: do not use the electricity spell in my #4 slot to take out a dire wolf at point-blank range in the Colovian Highlands. I suspect I forgot I had a major area-effect spell there.

Off to do the forensics. :D

Update: I figured it out, and it's a neat way to self-inflict. There's a mod called Midas Magic which adds spell effects. One of the better assault spells is Grand Chain Lightning. The advantage of this spell is that it'll bounce around among one's enemies and can do a lot of damage for the magicka required to cast it. (For oblivion players, it's a rough equivalent to optimized crafted Journeyman spells.) The drawback is the very same thing. The spell will bounce around. Allies, enemies, the only person off the table is the caster. Or so I thought. Apparently, the spell chain-bounced between my horse and the dire wolf. That is, the dire wolf standing directly in front of me, and the horse standing directly behind me. I ended up taking the spell in transit in both directions, repeatedly.

Heh, oops.

As to the OP, I'm feeling pretty relaxed right now.

DyerWolf
2008-Apr-07, 01:29 AM

The irony is that I don't have that attitude. Anyone who's read enough of my posts can see that pretty clearly. Also:

For what it's worth, I didn't imply that everyone who is not a big, dangerous guy is soft and security-unconscious. ...

I guess you and Soylent read a whole "Col. Jessup" thing into my post that wasn't there.

I would resent the implication, but I recognize there has been a whole lot of 'wrong impressioning' going on.

For what it's worth: I had a very concrete example in mind (rather than some hyperbolae/stereotype) that I might write up some day.

Anyway: the title I'm presently waiting on is Empire TotalWar (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/us/communityandforums/empire.html&nav=/us/6/8/)
Screenshots (http://www.canardplus.com/jeux-833-empire___total_war.html)
and
more screen shots (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://recensioni-videogiochi.dvd.it/images/Empire_Total_War/empire-total-war-05-m.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php%3Ftopic_id%3D26176145&h=852&w=1275&sz=284&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=DeMGhN-1JlrziM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dempire%2Btotal%2Bwar%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-34,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN)

For those unfamiliar with the series: its like Civ - except you get tactical control over the battles and the time-line is much more specific. This title will be a sim of the period of expanding European Empires from the late 1600's to the early 1800's.

Fadingstar
2008-Apr-07, 02:10 AM
EVE is probably too good a space sim for its own good, sometimes. Its grind wears on you worse than others, because as necessary as it is, the motivation to stay on the grind is very abstract compared to games with an experience point system based on enemies killed or items crafted.

On the other hand, there are elements of its gameplay that make it exceptionally attractive for the long haul (PvP with severe consequences/rewards as well as its exceptional political/diplomacy model), its simply imperative that you find a solid group of people to play with.

I've been at it just over a year now and rarely play anything else. Looking forward to launching my carrier on Monday night. :cool:

I think that was probably the problem as it was just me and one other, so mining and the missions get kind of repetative after a while. I got as far as the Gallant hyperion battleship, and was working towards the carrier and then dreadnought. Maybe I'll go back to it at a later date.
The graphics were the best I've seen on an MMPG, but then space games don't have to worry about background so much.

Doodler
2008-Apr-07, 02:24 AM
I think that was probably the problem as it was just me and one other, so mining and the missions get kind of repetative after a while. I got as far as the Gallant hyperion battleship, and was working towards the carrier and then dreadnought. Maybe I'll go back to it at a later date.
The graphics were the best I've seen on an MMPG, but then space games don't have to worry about background so much.
If you come back, look up Janu Hull or Barron Hull. I'm with a pretty good group now with solid roots in both high sec and 0.0.

If you don't want to go that route, which I perfectly respect, I do know a pretty good place for lone players to get involved in 0.0 without too many obligations tying them down. Ratting can be more boring than missions at times, but it is more profitable, for far less work, and being at risk definitely keeps the blood flowing and your heart racing. :)

Fadingstar
2008-Apr-07, 02:59 AM
If you come back, look up Janu Hull or Barron Hull. I'm with a pretty good group now with solid roots in both high sec and 0.0.

If you don't want to go that route, which I perfectly respect, I do know a pretty good place for lone players to get involved in 0.0 without too many obligations tying them down. Ratting can be more boring than missions at times, but it is more profitable, for far less work, and being at risk definitely keeps the blood flowing and your heart racing. :)

Thanks for the info'. I'll give them a shout if I go back to it. Got my arse kicked in .4 sec, I remember that! Ha! Mind you, running around in a frigate was asking for it...

closetgeek
2008-Apr-07, 09:19 PM
Curently I'm doing WOW after getting bored with EVE, which was a shame 'cos I'd rather wanted a good MMPG space sim.
And they cancelled the Star Trek MPG they were making , so vented on WOW

Careful in the battlegrounds, though, at times that could make you more aggitated then you were before you sat down. Has anyone checked out the new arena's yet? I am tempted and like the idea of a level playing ground but with all the new hacks showing up in the regular game, I don't want to chase another carrot.