PDA

View Full Version : Not BA but bad science in Men In Black 2

mjparme
2003-Sep-04, 03:42 AM
I was flipping through the channels and ran across the end of MIB 2 the other night on HBO.

There is a part where Will Smith blows a hole in the MIB building and they get sucked in. Tommy Lee Jones explains that the building is pressurized to keep things out.

If the building has positive pressue in it how did they get sucked in? They should have been blown back by the out rushing air!!

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-04, 04:10 AM
I think that the real question is, why wouldn't it be under negative pressure? If you have aliens in a building and are worried about extra-terrestrial diseases, you want a building under negative pressure. Don't you?

Odinoneeye
2003-Sep-04, 06:55 AM
Well how about the fact that supposidly "Nothing gets in and nothing gets out," yet the bad guys were able to leave to attack the heroes.

Wingnut Ninja
2003-Sep-05, 07:06 AM
All of your questions can be answered, if you just look at this flashing red light... that's it... concentrate, and... *ZAP*

Humphrey
2003-Sep-07, 01:01 AM
Didn't work. you forgot to delete the posts.

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-08, 12:28 PM
I can't remember; is that before or after they show how the controls of the car have been replaced by the Sony Playstation 2 controller, because its apparently much easier to drive on one? You'd never guess which company made the film.

Vermonter
2003-Sep-09, 12:42 AM
I thought the Sony PS2 controller was cute. I would have liked to try driving it!

freddo
2003-Sep-09, 01:42 AM
I can't remember; is that before or after they show how the controls of the car have been replaced by the Sony Playstation 2 controller, because its apparently much easier to drive on one? You'd never guess which company made the film.

If that were true you could not buy third party steering wheels to plug into your playstation.

Using your whole arm will give you more control that your thumb - unless you are some kind of freak.

Zamboni
2003-Sep-09, 04:51 AM
Kay never actually said pressurized with what... For all we know it could be pressurized with some alien air that *somehow* sucks you in (except that guy sitting by the elevator whom is apparently glued to the chair).

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-09, 09:02 AM
Absolutely Freddo - it was just product placement that really wound me up.

kucharek
2003-Sep-09, 09:12 AM
Nothing sucks. Sucking doesn't exist. Negative pressure doesn't exist.
A pressure difference can be negative.
When something is sucked, it is actually forced by the pressure difference pushing it. That's why you can't suck water higher than 10 meters. It is actually the air pressure that forces the water into the tube.

SeanF
2003-Sep-09, 02:06 PM

And yet, the dialogue . . .

J: "Didn't your mother ever give you a Gameboy?"
K: "What is a 'Gameboy?!'"

Little bit odd product placement to put your own product in the scene but refer to a competitor's product by name, ain't it? :)

Grey
2003-Sep-09, 04:01 PM
Nothing sucks.
I think that's a commendable attitude toward life. :)

Zamboni
2003-Sep-11, 03:51 AM
Nothing sucks. Sucking doesn't exist.
Clinton should've hired you as his advisor...
Okay bad joke I apologize should've gone to the Bad Humor board instead.