PDA

View Full Version : The Human Spell Check

Jim
2008-Apr-07, 01:58 PM
There was an item on ABC News that should warm the cockles of Gillian's heart. It's about a man who is traveling the US correcting spelling and grammar errors on advertising signs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4600830

Moose
2008-Apr-07, 02:14 PM
*resists temptation to make ill-advised OCD joke here.*

Everybody needs a hobby, I guess. I'm certainly not going to sit here and armchair quarterback. And is there really a bad excuse to travel?

Fledermaus
2008-Apr-07, 02:16 PM
He would have a field day with my spelling and the rest of the UK adverts!! My grammar is better than my spelling!
They might know each other you never know!

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-07, 02:54 PM
...It's about a man who is traveling the US correcting spelling and grammar errors on advertising signs...

I like how he calmly approaches the business and asks. I would be interested to see how he handles the intentional mistakes.

For instance. I can see somebody doing "tye dye" because it looks cool even if they know it's wrong.

If you didn't catch the title of his page... I found the website.The Typo Eradication Advancement League (http://www.jeffdeck.com/teal/index.html)

Gillianren
2008-Apr-07, 05:30 PM
Gods, I've been tempted to do that for years. To think that I just limited it to on-campus, self-made ads! (Oh, the errors of the kung-fu club--and once, the head of it tried to argue a fine point of grammar with me.)

mike alexander
2008-Apr-07, 05:42 PM
I've often wondered why anyone would have cockles in their heart in the first place. Odd place to keep crustaceans.

mahesh
2008-Apr-07, 05:56 PM
adraba cra daraba.....see? nothing happened....bad speller....

Gillianren...i hope you gave him/her a 'carrot-to-chop'....

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-07, 07:36 PM
I've often wondered why anyone would have cockles in their heart in the first place. Odd place to keep crustaceans.
Seems it's also a technical term for a chamber in a kiln, possibly shellshaped, which then became chambers in the heart.

Maksutov
2008-Apr-07, 09:38 PM
And probably adjusted with Cockle Spanners...

Meanwhile the guy could probably spend a decade just correcting "its" and it's".