PDA

View Full Version : Living in computer simulation...

Theunknownbook
2008-Apr-09, 12:47 AM
...similar to Matrix style computer-generated hyper-reality virtual world, but of course, without human pods. Is such a thing possible? such a bizarre idea I found in this old blog post.
http://joeradman.com/technology/simulation-argument/
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx/?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&tab=c1149&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677&fg=&from=00&vid=77d0c7a5-06cf-498e-bba8-29803f5f0847&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:0:tag:Source_Countdow n:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A&wa=wsignin1.0
How farfetched or real could this consideration have been? I'd like to know your thoughts on this

The Supreme Canuck
2008-Apr-09, 12:54 AM
My view is that if you can't provide any proof for it, even if it is true, it doesn't matter.

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-09, 03:01 AM
Ok, so let's run with this idea. If I create a simulation of a universe I would not create an actual three dimensional array with each dimension equal in size to the diameter of the universe, in which case there would be a physical location for each set of indexes (which I suppose you could call a space quantum) because it would take up too much memory.

I could create a much more interesting universe with far less memory by merely giving each object in the universe a location in an imaginary array and change the coordinates as required by the behavior of the object and the rules of the universe. The interesting thing to note is that any object in that universe would perceive distance between itself and other things as measured by their locations but space itself would be nothing. There would be no space, there would only be energy and mass.

Secretly there would be real "space"; the memory locations where each object was stored. But the objects would not be able to perceive that space, it would be unknowable to them unless programmed into the simulation, which would be unwise unless you want your simulation to begin hacking your computer. The entities within this simulated universe may eventually deduce the true nature of the universe using scientific methods but they would have to rise to a high level of intelligence to infer that much from what they are allowed to perceive.

Since everything in the universe would have a set memory location nothing would really move, it would only appear to do so because it's coordinates would change. My quarks and energy could be in trillions of separate locations, intermingled with galaxies and black holes, and I'd be none the wiser because I would have no way of perceiving it. Mathematically I would be in one location and that black hole intermingled with my neurons would appear to be gajillions of light years away because its' coordinates and mine would have that distance between them.

Perhaps the rules of the universe, the laws of thermodynamics and such, simply cause everything to appear to move apart from everything else for whatever reason. Nothing actually moves apart, it just appears to do so.

I should leave this alone at this point but I feel compelled to point out the obvious, and that is in such a universe if you could figure out how to change your coordinates you could instantaneously move anywhere in the universe in an instant. The problem would be that you would have to change the coordinates of all your mass and energy at once and that would be a bit more of a hack than simply changing one set of coordinates. But if all your parts were given coordinates relative to a single coordinate that is assigned to you then making that leap would be simple, if you could figure out how to change that one set.

I'll give up while I'm ahead... or perhaps, not dig my hole deeper. :)

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-10, 01:02 AM
When I was a little kid, sometimes I wondered if I had been injured in a horrible accident and now I was floating in a bacta tank and eating from a tube, my whole "life" a computer simulation.
An overactive imagination can scare you silly.

Chuck
2008-Apr-10, 02:13 AM
Earth is actually an amusement park ride of an advanced civilization with long living members. When we get bored we take a few decades off and spend the time having a simulated lifetime in a computer environment. Our memories are temporarily blanked to make the ride more realistic. The program isn't perfect, though. While our real life memories are blanked, memories of past experiences on the same ride sometimes slip through. We experience these as past life memories and feelings of déjà vu.

Moose
2008-Apr-10, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you find yourself on Mars making out with (or happen to be) a brunette who's slim, athletic, sleazy and demure. If Sharon Stone suddenly turns up, RUN!

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-10, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you find yourself on Mars making out with (or happen to be) a brunette who's slim, athletic, sleazy and demure. If Sharon Stone suddenly turns up, RUN!

Yea... and don't pull anything out of your nose, that's really disgusting.

JustAFriend
2008-Apr-10, 01:15 PM
Quit thinking about it or they'll pull the plu[CARRIER LOST.....]

greg9001
2008-Apr-10, 03:27 PM
There is one way to find out.
Pick a place you would never think on going to. Then go there and no matter what don’t stop.
From the movie The 13th Floor

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-10, 09:37 PM
Pick a place you would never think on going to. Then go there and no matter what don’t stop.
I will NOT go to the mall.

mike alexander
2008-Apr-10, 10:47 PM
Given the way things seem to go at times I wouldn't be surprised. And the operating system must be Vista.

Reality. Where nothing can possibly go worng.

mugaliens
2008-Apr-10, 11:10 PM
Yea... and don't pull anything out of your nose, that's really disgusting.

If it were computer-generated, would it really be disgusting, or would you merely think so?

I don't think it's disgusting at all, but then again, I know I took the blue pill, and it's all a simulation...

Fadingstar
2008-Apr-11, 12:24 AM
I want a refund! Or did I sign a disclaimer?

Noclevername
2008-Apr-11, 12:55 AM
ERROR

This Universe Has Performed An Illegal Operation And Will Be Shut Down

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-11, 01:27 AM
One morning I woke up, walked out to get the newspaper and nobody was around. There were no sounds aside from those I made myself. I looked up, and in the deep blue sky I saw:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C00068F8 in VxD VMM(01) +
000059F8. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to terminate the world.
* Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the universe. You will
lose any unsaved information despite what Hawking claims.

Press any key to continue

a1call
2008-Apr-11, 01:38 AM
When I was a little kid, sometimes I wondered if I had been injured in a horrible accident and now I was floating in a bacta tank and eating from a tube, my whole "life" a computer simulation.
An overactive imagination can scare you silly.

Careful guys, he might be on to us. :)

FriedPhoton
2008-Apr-11, 01:54 AM
Careful guys, he might be on to us. :)

Dude! You're gonna blow it! Shh... :silenced:

mugaliens
2008-Apr-11, 04:09 AM
One morning I woke up, walked out to get the newspaper and nobody was around. There were no sounds aside from those I made myself. I looked up, and in the deep blue sky I saw:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C00068F8 in VxD VMM(01) +
000059F8. The current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to terminate the world.
* Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the universe. You will
lose any unsaved information despite what Hawking claims.

Press any key to continue

I saw the same thing!

But I pressed the key, everything rebooted, and now here I am...

Chuck
2008-Apr-11, 04:14 AM
We crash a lot, but then they fix the bug and restart us from the previous day's backup so we know nothing about them.

mugaliens
2008-Apr-11, 06:32 AM
We crash a lot, but then they fix the bug and restart us from the previous day's backup so we know nothing about them.

Well, I'm keeping paper copies. Problem is, I don't know if they're live, or if it's Memorex...