PDA

View Full Version : Have not had a smoke in more than 16 months

a1call
2008-Apr-10, 01:21 AM
Hi,
I quit smoking on Dec. 1st 2006 after smoking heavily for decades.
I had tried just about any quitting method you could think of, patches, computers, ...
I was totally hooked on nicotine and thought I could never ever quit.

Yet I have been smoke free for more than 16 months now and the quitting process was virtually pain free.
Somehow I remembered a childhood classmate had told me you could make people quit by putting 1 pinhole on the neck of the cigarettes the 1st day, 2 holes the 2nd, 3 the 3rd and so on.
I decided to try it. After 30 days and smoking cigarettes with 30 holes on the side I had very gradually, painlessly and completely defeated my addiction to nicotine.
There was the slight habitual urges left which I overcame by sleeping often for couple of days.

I thought I would share this in case it could help someone quit.
Give it a try. Smoke as much as you want, just add a pinhole to the side of each cigarette and increase the holes by one a day.

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-10, 01:23 AM
Congrats on defeating your addiction!

a1call
2008-Apr-10, 02:51 AM
Thanks KaiYeves. :)

Torsten
2008-Apr-10, 02:56 AM
Congratulations!

Maksutov
2008-Apr-10, 07:03 AM
WTG, a1call!

Now, take a deep breath.

Doesn't that feel good?

Ah!

Another nail in the coffin...
of R.J. Reynolds and Philip Morris et al.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Apr-10, 11:46 AM
How does that work exactly?

I mean, what does poking holes in the filter accomplish? Does it just make it taste progressively worse each time, making you want a cigarette less often?

Neverfly
2008-Apr-10, 11:56 AM

I mean, what does poking holes in the filter accomplish? Does it just make it taste progressively worse each time, making you want a cigarette less often?

<chuckle> :p I like the way you're thinking

It causes more nicotine to waft out and escape into the air, meaning the body absorbs a lesser dose. It weans the body off it.

Some cigarette manufacturers actually put tiny perforations around the filter- about where the two fingers hold it.
This causes some smoke to waft out around the fingers, supposedly increasing your nicotine intake by it leeching into your skin, even when you are not taking a drag on the cigarette.

KLIK
2008-Apr-10, 12:00 PM

you put the holes just above the filter so that when you take a drag it draws fresh air through the side of the cigarette rather than all through the burning tip, so you get less smoke (diluted via the holes). Silk Cut use the same principle. Eventually you are 'smoking' mainly fresh air.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-10, 12:45 PM
Many cigarette manufacturers do that to make a "light" cigarette where some of the air inhaled is pulled through the perforation.
In general, the result is that the smoker inhales deeper to get the same effect, causing the cancer inducing elements of cigarette smoke to get even deeper into the lungs.

In the method a1call used, where there are progressively more holes, this reaction is defeated by the evermore diluted smoke.

It also has the effect of breaking the link between the ritual of smoking and the pleasure of smoking, both by reducing the pleasure and by interrupting the ritual by having to put in the holes first, which works as negative reinforcement once you have to sit and make (and count making) 20+ holes in the cigarette before smoking it.

For the latter reason, I expect that to be most effective, you have to put the holes in just before smoking.

a1call
2008-Apr-10, 01:37 PM
Thank you all for the encouragements.

Well HenrikOlsen has nailed it right on the head and more precisely than I ever could. The time it takes to put the 20 holes and suction/nicotine disassociation are major factors involved.
The ease of the process is astonishing.

Jim
2008-Apr-10, 02:53 PM
Good for you, a1call! Hang in there.

I am reminded of Mark Twain's remark. "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world to do. I myself have done it hundreds of times."

mugaliens
2008-Apr-10, 10:35 PM
a1call, congratulations. Addictions stink! Been there, done that.

I'm glad you found something that works.

If only the manufacturers would invent a "quit smoking" pack that was pre-pinholed....

Nah. They're in it for the money, pure and simple. Same with all the others who sell various addictive products.

Again, congrats. If you're ever struggling, drop me a PM. We'll chat.

a1call
2008-Apr-11, 12:55 AM
You guys are are real gentlemen. Thank you all so much for the support.

The fact is I am confident that I have passed the critical 1st few months and will stay free.

Hopefully in a few decades cigarettes will only be found in museums and lung cancer will be much less prevalent.

Again thank you all gents. :)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-13, 07:04 PM
If only the manufacturers would invent a "quit smoking" pack that was pre-pinholed....
Nah, that would defeat half the reason the method works.

RalofTyr
2008-Apr-13, 08:55 PM
I only smoke after sex....I've looked.

Really, I had my first and last cigarette when I was four. We stole a pack of Benson and Hedges from our babysitter, who was a chain smoker and a polish jew who survived a concentration camp. I took one hit, said yuck and I never smoked again.

A few of my exes smoked. One quit for me as she was just a social smoker and one would try one week and then smoke again. It's really the friends she hangs out with, all smokers.

g0pher
2008-Apr-14, 12:27 AM
i smoked for 8 years somewhat heavily.

i quit quitting many times... then one day i said screw it. it's been 4 months and i haven't wanted one yet. not a single craving or anything. some find that almost hard to believe... i find it a miracle :)

Mister Earl
2008-Apr-16, 04:37 PM
I'm so good at quitting smoking, that I do it three times a week, easily.