PDA

View Full Version : Under attack: The owner of a house struck five times by meteorites

Sticks
2008-Apr-10, 09:37 AM
I have put this here, as it came from the UK Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=558478&in_page_id=1811)

Under attack: The owner of a house struck five times by meteorites fears aliens are targeting him
A Bosnian man whose home has been hit an incredible five times by meteorites believes he is being targeted by aliens.

Experts at Belgrade University have confirmed that all the rocks Radivoje Lajic has handed over were meteorites.

They are now investigating local magnetic fields to try and work out what makes the property so attractive to the heavenly bodies.

:eh:

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-10, 02:44 PM
I have put this here, as it came from the UK Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=558478&in_page_id=1811)

And you found it by reading this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/1212052-post4.html)....:lol:

tdvance
2008-Apr-10, 05:49 PM
more likely, he bought the meteorites--occam's razor! I think you can buy them on the web now, even.

Todd

Gemini
2008-Apr-10, 08:53 PM
The fithp are attacking!

Amber Robot
2008-Apr-10, 10:22 PM
If he has local magnetic fields that are strong enough to attract meteorites, the meteorites themselves are probably the least of his worries...

Moose
2008-Apr-10, 11:41 PM
more likely, he bought the meteorites--occam's razor! I think you can buy them on the web now, even.

And I'm betting he lobbed them at the house for veracity. Either that, or they all hit at the same time, from the same meteorite that split at (relatively) low altitude, or shattered on the house.

Van Rijn
2008-Apr-10, 11:45 PM
If he is being targetted by aliens, I admire their restraint. All they need is one big rock.

Moose
2008-Apr-10, 11:49 PM
You know, it could be (I suppose) Earth rocks. Does he have a daughter of dating age that someone's signaling at night? Who are these experts at Belgrade University that "validated" the rocks and what is it, exactly, they are experts in? (These days, you really do have to ask.)

Van Rijn
2008-Apr-11, 01:30 AM
Sure. Among the list of issues with this story is that there is no detail at all on the supposed meteorite verification. There's no mention of the size or type of the meteorites, who checked them, etc.

I did find it amusing that the rocks only hit during rainstorms. I have a suspicion some prankster is throwing rocks at the house. Conceivably, they might even use some real meteorites, but given the cost, they would need to be small ones.

Noclevername
2008-Apr-11, 06:39 AM
The fithp are attacking!

:lol::lol::lol::clap:

darkhunter
2008-Apr-11, 02:49 PM
The fithp are attacking!

So there are a few places to avoid.....

Daffy
2008-Apr-11, 02:51 PM
The Fithp...rock throwing aliens with bad lisps.

NGCHunter
2008-Apr-11, 03:23 PM
I picked up a good sized chunk of meteorite from Kennedy Space Center's visitor center for about about 20-30 bucks. I'm sure I paid more than it was really worth, but the point is that even at that price it wouldn't be too expensive to fake it... or possibly give someone a big scare. Heck, it sounds like it'd make an awesome, though malicious prank. Break someone's window with a meteorite and you're instantly absolved of the blame. Break 5 of their windows with meteorites and you've created an "alien conspiracy"!

Donnie B.
2008-Apr-11, 06:17 PM
At least it was the house, and not the man, who was struck five times. I think I'd be getting pretty paranoid, too, after about the third knot on the noggin.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Apr-12, 04:55 PM
Give enough monkeys a meteorite, and it's bound to happen sooner or later.

publiusr
2008-Jun-30, 09:14 PM
Good grief.

vonmazur
2008-Jul-02, 05:59 PM
The only known (To me) location hit twice by meteorites is Weathersfield Connecticut, once in the 1950's, and again in the 1980's, and the two houses were very near to one another...I will search for the story, and put up a link if I can find it.

Dale in Alabama

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-02, 07:26 PM
The only known (To me) location hit twice by meteorites is Weathersfield Connecticut, once in the 1950's, and again in the 1980's, and the two houses were very near to one another...I will search for the story, and put up a link if I can find it.
Missed it by thaaat much. :lol:
Wethersfield (no 'a')
1971 (not 50's)
Here's a list of stuff hit (http://imca.repetti.net/metinfo/metstruck.html) through history.
And here's the 2nd Wethersfield meteorite (http://www.peabody.yale.edu/collections/met/met_wethersfield.html).

vonmazur
2008-Jul-02, 08:03 PM
NEO: Thanks for finding that....too busy to search right away...I was confusing the Sylacauga AL 1950's with the two in CT. I live in AL and have lived in CT also, and so when I type without thinking....you know the result!!

This is still the only certified case (two in the same area) that I know about, they made a big deal out of it when I lived there...(Milford not Wethersfield!)

Dale