PDA

View Full Version : Electric moondust!

infoferret
2008-Apr-13, 10:48 PM
Question is, can this happen on other moons/planets/asteroids/comets that are not protected by an atmosphere/magnetosphere and in contact with the solar wind?

And strange the story was in the UT section but now I can't find it, did it get moved?

physorg.com/news127138006.html

and

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm

PS

How do you link pages?

AGN Fuel
2008-Apr-14, 04:31 AM
Question is, can this happen on other moons/planets/asteroids/comets that are not protected by an atmosphere/magnetosphere and in contact with the solar wind?

And strange the story was in the UT section but now I can't find it, did it get moved?

physorg.com/news127138006.html

and

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm

PS

How do you link pages?

By using [url] brackets around a descriptive text. e.g. the PhyOrg site (physorg.com/news127138006.html) and NASA (science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm).

To demonstrate, (using {&} instead of [&] so it doesn't convert):

{url=science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm}NASA website{/url}

Steve Limpus
2008-Apr-14, 04:52 AM
By using [url] brackets around a descriptive text. e.g. the PhyOrg site (physorg.com/news127138006.html) and NASA (science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm).

To demonstrate, (using {&} instead of [&] so it doesn't convert):

{url=science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/21nov_abbas.htm}NASA website{/url}

Good tip - is there somewhere to go for this stuff? I've noticed some people get sub-script and super-script into their posts as well?

Nowhere Man
2008-Apr-14, 10:22 AM
http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/36528-how-do-i-make-exponents-greek-letters.html

Fred

tusenfem
2008-Apr-14, 11:51 AM

Well, if there is dust and if there is enough UV flux to charge the dust, there is no problem. Finding these locations is another question all together.

The moon has no atmosphere nor a magnetosphere, so I do not understand the question you are posing here. On wiki you will find a page on double layers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_%28plasma%29) which explains a little more, also about the moon, and references 13, 14 and 15 at the bottom of that pages are of special interest.

The whole process is rather intricate, and depends on a lot of parameters. The only places where I think these kind of things may happen (off the top of my head) are our Moon, asteroids, maybe some non-ice-covered moons of the large planets.