PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood hunts star to play first man on the Moon

ToSeek
2008-Apr-16, 01:45 AM
Hollywood hunts star to play first man on the Moon (http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2273245,00.html)

It was one small step for man but could be one giant leap in the career of an actor. Neil Armstrong, the first man on the Moon, is to be the subject of a Hollywood biopic. The only question now is: who is worthy of filling the spaceboots of the 20th-century icon who 'came in peace for all mankind'?

Armstrong has been bafflingly neglected by a Hollywood that has eulogised every minor and major US hero, but ignored one of the most instantly recognisable and globally shared moments of the last century. Baffling, because Armstrong's entire life has been the stuff of high adventure and prime Hollywood material. The son of an Ohio farmer, he became a fighter pilot in Korea and, on one occasion, lost part of an aeroplane wing over enemy territory, but still returned safely.

WaxRubiks
2008-Apr-16, 02:11 AM
ozzy osborne?

matthewota
2008-Apr-16, 02:18 AM
A young Michael Moriarty (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0605363/)always bore a striking resemblance to Armstrong, IMHO.
His demeanor and quiet mannerisms also reminded me of Armstrong.

Now he is a bit too old to do the part...

AGN Fuel
2008-Apr-16, 03:15 AM
ozzy osborne?

:lol: Love it!

This thread could be derailed slightly to who could put the most interesting slant on portraying Armstrong.

e.g. De Niro

MOCR (through comms): "11, Houston. Please be advised that we anticipate a mid-course correction burn at 65:43 GET"
Armstrong: (after pause) "You talking to me? Are you talking to me??!"

Michael Caine

MOCR: "Can you describe the lunar surface, Neil?"
Armstrong: "Well, guv. It's the moon, innit? Same colour and texture as your aunty's drawers, me old china, but with a little less action. Know wot I mean?"

Ozzy Osborne

MOCR: "Eagle, Houston. If you'd like to try high gain, pitch 212, yaw 37. Over."
Armstrong: "Wh.....? ......*$&%&$ ........SHARON!!!!!"

Charlie Chaplin

MOCR: "Ah, Eagle, Houston. Comms check. Please respond on Omni."
Armstrong: ".................................................. .........."
MOCR: "Eagle, Houston. Receiving 5 by 5. Thank you."

This is fun! Who has some others?

SeanF
2008-Apr-16, 01:10 PM
William Shatner
"That's one. Small. Step. For man.

One. Giant. Leap. For mankind."

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-16, 01:37 PM
William Shatner

You either need more periods, or a whole lot more space after each one.

mike alexander
2008-Apr-16, 04:57 PM
Ah, the Michael Caine was perfect!

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-18, 12:03 AM
Didn't somebody appear as him for five seconds in Apollo 13? And the other astronaut's mother asks "Are you boys in the astronaut program, too?"

2008-Apr-18, 12:19 AM
Didn't somebody appear as him for five seconds in Apollo 13? And the other astronaut's mother asks "Are you boys in the astronaut program, too?"

Mark Wheeler (from IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0923913/))

(From IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0034226/)) Neil Armstrong has also been played by:

Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D (2005) Played by Morgan Freeman
King of the Moon (2004) Played by Scott Alan Smith
"Expeditions to the Edge" (2004) TV Series Played by Jay Flatley
"The Simpsons" - Mayored to the Mob (1998) TV Episode, Played by Harry Shearer
"From the Earth to the Moon" (1998) (mini) TV Series Played by Tony Goldwyn (as Astronaut Neil Armstrong)
Apollo 11 (1996) (TV) Played by Jeffrey Nordling

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-18, 12:22 AM
Mark Wheeler (from IMDB)
Arrgh! Ex--lled ads are all over that page!

Jim
2008-Apr-18, 01:29 AM
Tom Cruise.

No, not really. I just wanted to see how many strokes I could induce with one post.

sarongsong
2008-Apr-18, 02:00 AM
Say, doesn't The BA already have the costume---AND the summer off?

Gillianren
2008-Apr-18, 05:33 AM
Tom Cruise is, blessedly, too short.

I can think of actors who would amuse me in the role (Eddie Izzard?) and actors who would be horrible at it (Eddie Murphy?), but no one I think is right.

ravens_cry
2008-Apr-18, 07:46 AM
They should pick someone who we don't have preconceived notions about, like they did with Superman. So in my view, they shouldn't pick a star at all, they should pick a gifted, mostly unknown character actor. I don't see most 'star' actors being able to portray Armstrong's slightly bashful sense of noble decency.

Paul Beardsley
2008-Apr-18, 06:31 PM
Mister T
"That's one small step for man - and I pity the fool who thinks this is a hoax!"

Dakota Fanning
Er...

Sting
"Giant steps are what you take,
Walking on the moon.
I hope my voice soon breaks
Walking on the moon..."

Ricky Gervais
(Does THAT dance in a spacesuit.)

David Bowie
"It took a while, but I eventually got here. Now, where's my stash? Oops, sorry slipped into my Major Tom persona for a moment there..."

Sean Harris
Played Ian Curtis out of Joy Division in 24 Hour Party People

Sam Riley
Played Ian Curtis out of Joy Division in Control.

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-18, 07:26 PM
"That's one small step for man - and I pity the fool who thinks this is a hoax!"
Ahahahahahahaha! You know, there's a teacher called Mr. T in our school, and everytime somebody says something like "I'm going to be late for Mr. T's class.", we all shout "I pitty you, fool!"

suntrack2
2008-Apr-19, 10:53 AM
what do you think about the WWF (restling) personalities to send them on moon, as we are watching the great events of them on the television, they may be better suitable on moon, like Khally. !! :)

sarongsong
2008-Apr-19, 10:08 PM
Well, they certainly are actors... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif ...but doubt any could address ravens_cry's concern:
...able to portray Armstrong's slightly bashful sense of noble decency.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-20, 04:45 AM
Well, they certainly are actors... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif ...but doubt any could address ravens_cry's concern:
...able to portray Armstrong's slightly bashful sense of noble decency.

It would take a skilled actor to portray it.
It's one of those things that just... comes from within.

I always admired Armstrong for having walked on the moon... But when I read more and more about the man, his lifetime of accomplishments and his rather severe sense of Honor- It only grew. The irony is that I think he would feel disturbed knowing he was admired for being modest.

So many folks have idols- sports figures, rock stars, movie stars...

Armstrong is an unsung Idol that puts all the rest to shame. Yet, I'm sure he likes it that way too.

ravens_cry
2008-Apr-20, 08:32 AM
It would take a skilled actor to portray it.
It's one of those things that just... comes from within.

I always admired Armstrong for having walked on the moon... But when I read more and more about the man, his lifetime of accomplishments and his rather severe sense of Honor- It only grew. The irony is that I think he would feel disturbed knowing he was admired for being modest.

So many folks have idols- sports figures, rock stars, movie stars...

Armstrong is an unsung Idol that puts all the rest to shame. Yet, I'm sure he likes it that way too.

Yes, he is one of the few people for whom this joke doesn't seem to apply.
"They gave a man a medal for the humblest man in the world, by the end of the day, they had to take it back."
Mr. Armstrong is one of the few who hasn't been like that. It's kind of sad that is extraordinary.

Tuckerfan
2008-Apr-20, 10:10 AM
Clint Eastwood is the one who bought the rights to the movie from Armstrong originally, but his IMDB listing doesn't mention it, and I ain't shelling out the money for the "Pro" version of the site to find out what the film's listing has. If Eastwood's involved, the odds are, the actor selected to play Armstrong will be a good choice. If Eastwood's not involved, then it's anybody's guess. Out of the actors listed in the linked article, the only one I'd trust to do the role right would be Christian Bale (though he's a bit tall) or Johnny Depp. Bale's dedicated as an actor (he lost a huge amount of weight for his role in The Machinist). Depp could capture the essence of Armstrong as well as Bale (he nailed Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), but like DiCaprio, is a bit too "pretty" for the role, IMHO. Armstrong's not got their "delicate" build.

If they give the role to Matt Damon, I'll probably get thrown out of the theater for shouting "I'm Matt Damon" ala Team America: World Police and then go on a killing spree in Hollywood.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-20, 06:36 PM
You're right; Johnny Depp or Christian Bale could do the role but would look all wrong. (I mean, in Johnny Depp, we're talking about a man who's been a teen idol longer than the current batch of teens have been alive!) Frankly, if there ever were a time to cast an unknown, biopics are usually that time. (Well, Madonna looked uncannily like Eva Peron, just by doing her hair right. Ditto Kurt Russel and Wyatt Earp or Val Kilmer and Jim Morrison.) Especially for someone as outside celebrity as Armstrong has always wished to be, casting someone who gets $15 million a picture is a bad, bad idea.

Doodler
2008-Apr-20, 07:51 PM
Tom Cruise.

No, not really. I just wanted to see how many strokes I could induce with one post.

Depends on how fast you run and how quickly I can draw the 5 Iron... :mad:

:lol:

sarongsong
2008-Apr-20, 08:28 PM
The studio first wanted Cruise for "Scissorhands", too! :)

Romanus
2008-Apr-21, 11:55 PM
I'm waiting for that movie that shows a real astronaut on the Moon.

KaiYeves
2008-Apr-22, 07:46 PM
I'm waiting for that movie that shows a real astronaut on the Moon.
I'm going to follow the rule of reading with best possible intentions here...

Argos
2008-Apr-22, 07:53 PM
Ed Harris would be almost perfect [guess hes too old]

Tedward
2008-Apr-22, 08:50 PM
Oh dear, oh dear. I fear a hash up. Really hope not. Maybe an unknown would be best?

Re Mr Cain as mentioned above by AGN Fuel. Think that speak is more Del Boy:lol:

Er, comedy in the UK, Only fools and horses.

Romanus
2008-Apr-23, 10:48 PM
Re Kai:
It was a joke; I'm not a Hoaxer.

mike alexander
2008-Apr-23, 11:00 PM
Michael Jackson? He has the walk down.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-23, 11:02 PM
Michael Jackson? He has the walk down.

That's reserved for a movie about Aliens on the Moon.

Warren Platts
2008-Apr-23, 11:07 PM
Mike Myers looks more like Neil Armstrong.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Apr-27, 05:50 PM
But would mess it up to an inconceivable degree.

Whenever I see Armstrong mentioned, I'm reminded of "First Flights" on The Discovery Channel, back when it was worth watching.
It was interesting to see a presenter who commanded instant respect in all pilots he talked to, to the point where they where proud to have him try out their plane with no doubt at all that he could handle it immediately:)
And to see the lack of need to show off that's the sign of true mastery of your profession.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-28, 02:13 AM
But would mess it up to an inconceivable degree.

Can't envision Armstrong landing on the Moon and looking around saying, "Now this is just Groovy, baby! Yeah!" ?

ravens_cry
2008-Apr-28, 02:59 AM
Can't envision Armstrong landing on the Moon and looking around saying, "Now this is just Groovy, baby! Yeah!" ?
I was thinking more, "Look at the size of that Astronauts helmet. It's like an orange on a toothpick!"

Gillianren
2008-Apr-28, 04:06 AM
On a more serious note, what does anyone think about Jake Gyllenhaal in the role?

Tuckerfan
2008-Apr-28, 04:10 AM
On a more serious note, what does anyone think about Jake Gyllenhaal in the role?He's a good actor, but you know that if he's cast in the role, the first thing someone's going to say is: Brokeback Moon.

ravens_cry
2008-Apr-28, 04:26 AM
He's a good actor, but you know that if he's cast in the role, the first thing someone's going to say is: Brokeback Moon.
The funny thing, I was thinking of October Sky when I first posted on this thread. Jake Gyllenhaal may not look the part exactly, but I can see him playing that part. I second this motion!

Gillianren
2008-Apr-28, 05:20 AM
He's a good actor, but you know that if he's cast in the role, the first thing someone's going to say is: Brokeback Moon.

Yeah, I know, which is sad, given that it's the movie that made me think, "Hey! These guys can act!"

Doodler
2008-Apr-28, 11:37 AM
Having never seen Brokeback, my impression of Gyllenhaal is from "Jarheads", in which case, he'd be fine for it.

I've got a pencilled in note to grab Donnie Darko at some point, too.

Gillianren
2008-Apr-28, 05:07 PM
I've got a pencilled in note to grab Donnie Darko at some point, too.

How quickly I see it depends on how many other people are in the hold list at the library. But soon-ish. I also suggest Zodiac.

NGCHunter
2008-Apr-28, 05:36 PM
I think Mark Famiglietti, who played a small role in Terminator 3 (claire danes' fiance in the film), could be a passable Armstrong in terms of appearance.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2127487.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED5927CBE5A6C9C3D2 5A5397277B4DC33E

http://www.artcom.com/Museums/vs/mr/524.jpg

Yes/no?

Gillianren
2008-Apr-28, 06:12 PM
I'm less concerned about appearance than talent, frankly. After all, Charlize Theron doesn't look anything like Aileen Wuornos, but she did in Monster.

suntrack2
2008-Apr-30, 05:20 PM
I think Honourable Arnold Swazneger will be the best suitable Actor, since I have a fan of them of their movies which are filmed in the past, I think they can give justice for such sort of "action play" being a Hero of Hollywood. They are quite popular in Indian film screen.

Neverfly
2008-May-01, 04:18 AM
I can just imagine Arnold Schwarzenegger on the Moon, yelling at a hostile alien, "C'mon! I'm Heah!. Do it! Kill me, I'm Heah!"

LunarOrbit
2008-May-01, 04:41 AM
I'm a little concerned I might get lynched for this suggestion... but what about Matt Damon? I know a lot of people won't agree, but I think he is a good actor and I do believe he could pull off Armstrong's personality type (quiet, confident, intelligent, humble). He doesn't exactly look like Armstong, but I can't really think of anyone who does.

Gillianren
2008-May-01, 05:36 AM
No, no--I can see it. So long as he's forbidden to chew gum.

Kelfazin
2008-May-02, 10:39 PM
James Spader, in my opinion, is a great actor. He can pull off quiet yet powerful. Not positive about pulling off Armstrong though, and maybe too old by now.

Viggo Mortensen?

sarongsong
2008-May-05, 06:09 AM
...He doesn't exactly look like Armstong, but I can't really think of anyone who does.Just for fun, any actors from the past come to mind?

LunarOrbit
2008-May-06, 02:51 AM
Just for fun, any actors from the past come to mind?

I don't know... I've been looking at Neil Armstrong's picture and I just can't think of a good match. Maybe Jon Voight circa 1970.

LunarOrbit
2008-May-06, 04:26 AM
You know you've got too much free time when...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o162/lunarorbit/DamonArmstrong.jpg

Matt Damon as Neil Armstrong.

NGCHunter
2008-May-06, 05:35 PM
Wow, that actually looks good enough. And yes, you have way too much time on your hands.

LunarOrbit
2008-May-06, 10:03 PM
It actually didn't take that long... maybe 15 minutes.