PDA

View Full Version : Hubble and .....??

MHS
2002-Mar-13, 04:54 PM
I was checking out the STS-109 Shuttle Mission Imagery @ spaceflight.nasa.gov when I found this pic:

http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-109/med/s109e5882.jpg

So far so good, but this is what I cut out of the higher resolution version:

http://www.iziweb.nl/weird.jpg

So what IS that object on the right of Hubble?? There's something visible on one of the other pictures too, but I think that that's just reflection. This isn't though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-03-13 11:55 ]</font>

amstrad
2002-Mar-13, 05:01 PM
looks like an artifact of the camera... an internal reflection.

Edit: I mean just look at it, its a dimmer image copy of HST itself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amstrad on 2002-03-13 12:02 ]</font>

MHS
2002-Mar-13, 05:05 PM
I don't think it really looks like Hubble. I mean look at the location of the solar arrays.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-03-13 12:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-03-13 12:11 ]</font>

amstrad
2002-Mar-13, 05:36 PM
I disagree. In the reflection image, you see only specular highlights. The cylindrical end of HST is not positioned to give such a highlight, yet is still bright enough (by earthlight) to overexpose in the real image.

I argue that if we were to place a solar filter in front of the camera we would see HST as is displayed in the reflection. I get these kind of reflections in my own cameras.

Wiley
2002-Mar-13, 06:51 PM
Hmmm...

It looks like conclusive proof of UFO's to me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Azpod
2002-Mar-13, 07:11 PM
On 2002-03-13 13:51, Wiley wrote:
Hmmm...

It looks like conclusive proof of UFO's to me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yes, it's actually a particle cannon designed to blast the HST should it try to snap a pic of the Alien Overlords' home system. NASA's known about it for years, but since they are in league with the Alien Overlords, they cover up this fact.

Now that the particle cannon has been exposed to the rest of the world, we can expect our planet to be reduced to a pile of candy bars within 24 hours. This, of course, will spell doom for the human race, as the candy is poisoned.

And if you believe any of the above, you can save yourself by wearing the appropriate tin foil hat. To get the plans to build such a hat, send US$299 in small untraceable bills to...

MHS
2002-Mar-13, 09:23 PM
On 2002-03-13 12:36, amstrad wrote:
I disagree. In the reflection image, you see only specular highlights. The cylindrical end of HST is not positioned to give such a highlight, yet is still bright enough (by earthlight) to overexpose in the real image.

I argue that if we were to place a solar filter in front of the camera we would see HST as is displayed in the reflection. I get these kind of reflections in my own cameras.

I guess you're right. The angle of the object is the same as that of Hubble's too. Thanks guys. Oh and btw: maybe STS-109 wasn't meant to upgrade the HST, but to equip it with laser guns to destroy the cannon. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif