PDA

View Full Version : what is the use of vista in computer

suntrack2
2008-Apr-20, 05:01 PM
I heard that most of the companies are doing the advertisements of their computer by telling that "vista is inserted in the computer", is it a package, or a program, or a software, or any special thing? what it is exactly?

last time I heard about vista card printing like the visiting cards etc, so does it work for such purpose in the computer operation.

My knowledge is poor on vista.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-20, 05:03 PM
I heard that most of the companies are doing the advertisements of their computer by telling that "vista is inserted in the computer", is it a package, or a program, or a software, or any special thing? what it is exactly?

last time I heard about vista card printing like the visiting cards etc, so does it work for such purpose in the computer operation.

Vista is the latest Windows Operating System. Essentially the brains of the machine.
From the line descending order:
XP
Windows NT
Windows 2000 and Millennium Edition
Windows '98
Windows '95
OS 3 LOL
Eh.. anyway.. You get the Idea...

It also makes a Hoover look like a leaf blower.

JustAFriend
2008-Apr-20, 07:36 PM
And Vista is already on the way out....

Microsoft has had so many problems and complaints that they've already announced Vista will be replaced by Windows7 next year.

It's been a big bomb for the company.

Larry Jacks
2008-Apr-20, 08:27 PM
Vista is the computer's operating system (OS). It is responsible for many things that happen behind the scenes such as allocating and freeing memory, managing the connection between applications programs and hardware (such as printers, hard drives, monitors, etc.). These are the basic functions of all operating systems for the last 40 years or so. However, modern OSs do so much more. For example, them manage how to have more than one program running at once by dividing up the available system resources (such as the CPU, the memory, etc). They also manage connections to networks and provide a lot of user interface functionality. There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes that you'll never see unless you learn how to become a programmer.

Kaptain K
2008-Apr-20, 08:49 PM

Microsoft has had so many problems and complaints that they've already announced Vista will be replaced by Windows7 next year.

Now I'm scared! :eek: If they can't get it right on a regular product cycle, how can we expect them to get a "hurry up" version right!

I have said for years that what MS needs is a lean, mean, un-bloated, bug free (yeah right) operating system with none of the nonessentials that have loaded (and slowed) Window down all these years. A bare bones OS selling for 50 bucks or so, with all the "bloat" sold separately and individually, would be a block buster hit.

Musashi
2008-Apr-20, 08:57 PM
I would like to see the announcement that Windows 7 is replacing Vista in 09.

Maksutov
2008-Apr-20, 09:54 PM
" what is the use of vista in computer"

A lot of Vista users have been asking that question for some time now.

clint
2008-Apr-20, 10:26 PM
I would like to see the announcement that Windows 7 is replacing Vista in 09.

If they announced it for next year, don't expect to see it before 2011 :p

mike alexander
2008-Apr-20, 10:35 PM
My opinion is that as computers have gotten bigger and faster there is more and more memory and computation time just sitting idle. In order to keep the memory from going stale or the CPU freezing up from inactivity, Vista continually exercises these functions as fast and as thoroughly as it can. Presently, Vista can use slightly over 90% of your computer's net resources; the new Windows7 should be able to achieve 100% usage of the computer's resources all the time.

This will keep your applications programs unworn and like new.

cjl
2008-Apr-21, 01:23 AM

Nope. Early betas and such out next year, Windows 7 at some point in 2010.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Apr-21, 04:58 AM
Q: What is the use of Vista in a computer?

A: It is a means to insure cash flow to a convicted monopolistic entity (Micro$oft) for another few years until they perfect their business model of renting us software.

novaderrik
2008-Apr-21, 05:54 AM
since we're talking about Vista here, i have to ask one simple question about it.
where did they hide the "My Computer" icon? i was trying to browse around on my grandma's new computer a couple of weeks back, and couldn't find anything on it. i just wanted it to show me how big the hard drive was, how much memory, what drives were doing what and what not- but could not figure it out. granted, i was only on it for a few minutes and it was my first encounter with anything newer than the 4 year old copy of XP Home on my mom's computer, but seriously, it should be easier than that to find stuff.

Neverfly
2008-Apr-21, 06:03 AM
You can find it on the start menu. XP does that too when first loaded, but if you choose Classic under Properties- it will place the My Computer Icon on the Desktop.

drainbread
2008-Apr-21, 06:42 AM
From the line descending order:
XP
Windows NT
Windows 2000 and Millennium Edition
Windows '98
Windows '95
OS 3 LOL
Eh.. anyway.. You get the Idea...

It also makes a Hoover look like a leaf blower.

It should look more like this:

Vista(NT)

XP(NT)

2000(NT)
Millennium(DOS)

98(DOS)

95(DOS)

NT

3.x(DOS)

DOS

Demigrog
2008-Apr-21, 07:56 PM
It should look more like this:

Vista(NT)

XP(NT)

2000(NT)
Millennium(DOS)

98(DOS)

95(DOS)

NT

3.x(DOS)

DOS
You left out Windows Server 2003, either Windows NT 3.5 or Windows NT 4.0, and Win32S.

Incidentally, I have a set of 5 1/4" disks with Microsoft Windows, no version number (well, not one that fits in the modern version numbers), next to my desk. :)

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Apr-21, 09:14 PM
You left out Windows Server 2003, either Windows NT 3.5 or Windows NT 4.0, and Win32S.

Incidentally, I have a set of 5 1/4" disks with Microsoft Windows, no version number (well, not one that fits in the modern version numbers), next to my desk. :)
Windows 1.0 was released in 1985 November. It was so wretched it left Mac and Amiga owners rolling on the floor in laughter. Even GEOS on the Commodore 64 looked better than that!

Windows 2.0 came out in 1987 some time. It was sort of usable, but still very ugly and two-dimensional.

There were some versions that were meant for 286 and 386 based systems, called Windows/286 and Windows/386. These were all combined when Windows 3.0 was released in 1990 April. This was the first sorta usable version of Windows that you could stand to look at.

Windows 3.1 was released in 1992 March. Considering that it took 7 years to go from the first version to the first truly successful commercial version, is it any surprise how awful ME and Vista have been?

Maksutov
2008-Apr-21, 09:45 PM
NT 3.51: still had 8.3 file names.

3.11: MacroSloth suddenly realises Windows might be used in a networking environment!

DOS 6.22: the last gasp.

Windows 98 SE: whatever caused the OS to freeze and blue screen during Bill's rollout presentation got fixed. But not much else.

Maksutov
2008-Apr-21, 09:46 PM
I still have some 5 1/4" Excel installation discs. Think the version is like 1.1. During installation all the files wind up in the root directory. You have no choice.

drainbread
2008-Apr-22, 12:32 AM
I left out all the pre-Windows 3.x titles because they were just a GUI for DOS, not an operating system.

I didn't include the server OS's because well, I figured it was about Desktop OS's and NT... well before 2k there wasn't much diffrence.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Apr-22, 04:24 AM
I left out all the pre-Windows 3.x titles because they were just a GUI for DOS, not an operating system. [Snip!]
Actually, I think of Windows as a solitaire game with delusions of grandeur ... :lol:

Maksutov
2008-Apr-22, 04:28 AM
Disguised under the misleading name of "FreeCell", one of the few instances where the word "free" and "Microsoft" appear together. ;)

closetgeek
2008-Apr-24, 03:59 PM

It's another program used to completely screw up all the other programs you use on your computer, there-by forcing you to buy more programs to help run the programs that ran fine without vista. Well, that's the ultra-simplified version of what my husband would tell you.