PDA

View Full Version : Space Golf and Other Zero-G Sports on the ISS

Fraser
2008-Apr-25, 10:30 PM
Humans and sports go hand-in-hand; it was only a matter of time before sports pushed into space. Whether astronauts are practicing their cosmic golf swing, throwing boomerangs (for science of course!), hurling footballs or creating their own unique zero-G activity, we will see some new and inventive space sports in the future… (...)Read the rest of [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/04/25/space-golf-and-other-zero-g-sports-on-the-iss/)

LaurelHS
2008-Apr-25, 10:52 PM
I thought it was cool when Sunita Williams ran the Boston Marathon from the ISS.

Alan Bean and Pete Conrad thought it might have been fun to throw a football on the moon, although their stiff spacesuit gloves might have presented some difficulties.http://www.alanbeangallery.com/AllOverAgain-story.html

marsbug
2008-Sep-08, 05:12 PM
I apologize profusely for resurrecting a long dormant thread, but this question seems to fit well here: Have the astronauts aboard the ISS, or before that MIR ever reported experimenting with or accidentally finding any fun games in micro gravity? Something that might be worth developing into a micro gravity specific sport even?

I can't believe they spend all their time running experiments or sleeping, they must get some time to chill a bit and play with their unique environment?

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-09, 11:51 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to play air hockey in space? That would rock!

Drunk Vegan
2008-Sep-10, 01:20 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to play air hockey in space? That would rock!

Air Hockey could be a three-dimensional game with multiple pockets to guard and shoot for.

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-10, 11:13 PM
Air Hockey could be a three-dimensional game with multiple pockets to guard and shoot for.
Wicked!

LaurelHS
2008-Sep-11, 02:52 AM
I apologize profusely for resurrecting a long dormant thread, but this question seems to fit well here: Have the astronauts aboard the ISS, or before that MIR ever reported experimenting with or accidentally finding any fun games in micro gravity? Something that might be worth developing into a micro gravity specific sport even?

I can't believe they spend all their time running experiments or sleeping, they must get some time to chill a bit and play with their unique environment?

I found an amusing illustration of "Skylab crew acrobatics" in Michael Collins' book Liftoff. "[Skylab crews] also bounced balls off the walls, threw darts, and flew paper airplanes, but they most enjoyed using their own bodies as if they were divers, suspended effortlessly between board and water. A triple gainer with a reverse twist? No problem!"