PDA

View Full Version : Bad Astronomy in ‘Andromeda’

informant
2003-Sep-12, 05:41 PM
There’s an episode of ‘Andromeda’ where the ship is eaten by a giant space creature. Well, apart from the obvious biology questions, there’s this:
In order to free the ship, they reason that since the creature eats “matter”, they should feed it the contrary of matter in order to get rid of it: anti-matter! And so they throw some antimatter into the creature’s belly.
Wow, it must have never occurred to them that the creature was also made up of matter, and matter + antimatter = really big explosion. Which wouldn’t be a problem for them, if only their ship wasn’t trapped inside the thing’s belly! :roll:

gethen
2003-Sep-12, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately this sounds like some kind of cosmic laxative. Hate to be there when it starts working. :wink:

mike alexander
2003-Sep-12, 09:27 PM
Antimatter: When it positively, absolutely has to get out overnight.

By the way, did you hear Oprah's going to market a laxative for women? It's called You Go, Girl!

informant
2003-Sep-12, 09:41 PM
Just to end the laxative jokes (:roll: :lol:), let me say that the creature only seemed to have a mouth, like a jellyfish. I imagine that it burped out the ship in the end, although I don't remember well.

gethen
2003-Sep-12, 10:04 PM
Sorry. :oops: Probably one of those situations that the preview button is intended to short circuit.

wedgebert
2003-Sep-13, 04:55 AM
At least they didn't reverse the polarity of the warp field plasma conduits.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-13, 04:19 PM

Deflector dish my friend, its all in the deflector dish.

wedgebert
2003-Sep-13, 07:34 PM

Deflector dish my friend, its all in the deflector dish.

There's one fact I'm glad I don't know :)

Tobin Dax
2003-Sep-14, 06:49 AM
Unfortunately this sounds like some kind of cosmic laxative. Hate to be there when it starts working. :wink:

:lol: That reminds me of the Farscape ep where Talyn gets eaten by a Budong. IIRC, that's pretty close to what they were trying to do there. Crichton had a similar comment. :D

informant
2003-Sep-15, 02:33 PM
Sorry. :oops: Probably one of those situations that the preview button is intended to short circuit.
No problem. I found the comments amusing. They could just as well have been about expectorants, after all... ;)