PDA

View Full Version : Can we use another theorist?

kwindish
2003-Sep-12, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've lived quite an unusual life, and this has made my way of thinking also out of the norm. I'm proudest of the fact that I don't feel beholden to any particular intellectual camp. So here's the deal...

I've been formally educated into science via the route of the behavioral sciences. However, I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of time to read on my own and to think about all this stuff. My father was a microbiologist with a Ph.D. in genetics from Rutgers University. It was his love of hobby astronomy which helped captivate me as a kid.

Over the years, I've developed a facination with both the very large and the very small. I'm convinced that it's all just a matter of relativity -- there is no sharp dichotomy between these two. Material existence is sort of like a "Horton Hears a Who" kind of deal.

So as I added more and more knowledge about physics to my neural database of psychological theories, it was not too surprizing that they would combine and gel. After all, if people exist in a material world, shouldn't they and their behavior also be subject to the same physical laws that apply to quasars and brown dwarfs?

This is one of the most facinating prospects to me. If we can combine all of the existing theories, wouldn't we end up with the theory of everything? This is the professional route I have chosen to embark upon. (Unfortunately, I have experienced quite a slow start, but I feel I'm ready to get going now.)

I would love to hear your ideas about what I have just written. My website is located at http://www.syntheory.com/ . I especially enjoy reading these forums for the observations of skeptics and the skillful applications of Occam's Razor.

Ken

Boil that dust speck, boil that dust speck, boil that dust speck!

Cougar
2003-Sep-12, 07:13 PM
Welcome, Kwindish.

....if people exist in a material world, shouldn't they and their behavior also be subject to the same physical laws that apply to quasars and brown dwarfs?

Well, physically, yes. But making analogies between human behavior and quasar behavior can be a bit tricky and not always scientifically legitimate.

If we can combine all of the existing theories, wouldn't we end up with the theory of everything?
Well, that's one of the big problems of our age: General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics do not mesh! They are currently used separately and independently to explain the physical workings of the universe. But they don't go together; they don't unify. It would be nice 8) if we had one unified theory of everything.

Betenoire
2003-Sep-12, 07:42 PM
Er... as a Bad Newbie, I'm not entirely sure about this sort of thing, but how often does a guy like this, or DrDick, show up and say, "I've got a secret, who wants to talk about it?"

Cougar
2003-Sep-12, 07:43 PM
General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics do not mesh!

I should have added that Michio Kaku's Hyperspace investigates this problem in some detail.... if you can get past Kaku's rather sensationalistic style which I think he developed to shake up and wake up the students in his undergrad classes.

Interesting essay (on your site) about the music scene from 1950 - 2003, by the way!http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/crecndo.gif

informant
2003-Sep-12, 07:53 PM
Er... as a Bad Newbie, I'm not entirely sure about this sort of thing, but how often does a guy like this, or DrDick, show up and say, "I've got a secret, who wants to talk about it?"
Well, this is the "Against the Mainstream" forum, after all... :)

mike alexander
2003-Sep-12, 09:33 PM
Benefit of the doubt, Betenoire, benefit of the doubt.

Welcome, Kwindish.

Now, please turn down the volume.

Betenoire
2003-Sep-13, 06:22 PM
Benefit of the doubt, Betenoire, benefit of the doubt.

Gave the benefit of the doubt to the overall idea a long time ago. Not interested in re-examining it just because another person's come forward to espouse it.

kilopi
2003-Sep-13, 10:26 PM
Welcome kwindish

Material existence is sort of like a "Horton Hears a Who" kind of deal.
Interesting. What else have you read? :)

Betenoire
2003-Sep-14, 04:53 AM
Welcome kwindish

Interesting. What else have you read? :)

Ouuuuuch

kilopi
2003-Sep-14, 05:04 AM
I was just joking, at first. But I've looked over the website, and there's nothing substantial there--and I found this (http://www.syntheory.com/realdeal.html), which says "So, ya wanna read the real stuff, huh?" You can do so by sending a "donation" of $10. Syntheory Note #3 on the front page (http://www.syntheory.com/) says "You may now request my "cutting edge" writings that I never post. To read more about this offer, click here." Which is how I found the above advert.

Betenoire
2003-Sep-14, 05:32 AM
Well, because I dislike having to spend time at 1:30 in the morning coming up with more pithy remarks, I'll just C&P from the discussion with DrDick.

On a similar note, I've figured out how to fly without any mechanical assistance. It's very easy to do and I can do it quite well. What do you think of my technique? Or are you all too stupid to understand my explanation of it?

PS Buy my book

kwindish
2003-Sep-15, 04:14 AM
Hi Again Everyone!

Thank you for your welcomes and I'll try to respond to your replies...

Cougar, 9-12-03, 11:13 -- I had no intention of equating quasars with people. I was just trying to point out that there's no magical cause of human choice, feelings, behavior, etc. The species evolved in a physical environment and we live in one. Therefore, it makes sense to me that a physical analogy is appropriate. Granted, the environment around a quasar is substantially different from New York City, but gravity is gravity, heat is heat, pressure is pressure.... Also, I believe that the jury of time is still out on the question of whether quantum mechanics and relativity will ever mesh. We're just not there yet.

Betenoire, 9-12-03, 11:42 -- I'd like to know more about the Dr. Dick reference. Is he an unpopular poster here? Also, I have no "secret" of the universe. I'm just another person who is interested in helping the scientific cummunity advance. I believe that advances do come about when we go beyond the intellectual box the previous generation built for us.

Cougar, 9-12-03, 11:43 -- I'd like to learn more about "Michio Kaku's Hyperspace" to which you refer. And thanks for the kudos on my music page (http://www.syntheory.com/policult/music1.html). Cool graphic of yours.

Informant, 9-12-03, 11:53 -- Thank you.

mike alexander, 9-12-03, 1:33 -- Sorry about the "volume". It's just a habit of mine to use large fonts whenever possible so I don't go blind as quickly. I will keep my fonts under control now!

Betenoire, 9-13-03, 10:22 -- I've found that even if an old idea is presented, it is always presented differently than it had ever been before. My intent is not to create some dogmatic truth! Far be it from that. However, I am interested in affecting the way others think about themselves and their ideas. If I could write something that looks like junk to most, but it sparks an insight in someone else, then isn't it worth it?

kilopi, 9-13-03, 2:26 -- Oh boy. I mentioned the Dr. Seuss book for levity and the mental image I predict it triggers. I do read some heavier books, too. For instance, just pick up a copy of Stephen Pepper's 1942 book World Hypotheses, open to any page and it'll probably wow you. Another excellent book I've read is The Large, the Small and the Human Mind, by Roger Penrose.

Betenoire, 9-13-03, 8:53 -- I can take it.

kilopi, 9-13-03, 9:04 -- "Substantial" is, I believe, a relative term here. For an astrophysicist I doubt I'll be very informative about astrophysics. But what about those in the mental health fields? Do you think they ever give astrophysics any thought at all? On my Cutting Edge (http://www.syntheory.com/realdeal.html) page, I tried to make it clear that I am approaching physics from a background of psychology. Penrose approached the mind from a background in math and physics. As for the donation, we all gotta eat. True, I'm not getting a hundred letters a day, but I am not disappointed with the response, either.

Betenoire, 9-13-03, 9:32 -- (Again, the Dr. Dick thing. Who is he?) It's never my intention to talk down to others. If you feel that I ever do, please call me on it.

New Material:

I'm glad to be a part of this community. You all seem like a bunch of good people. And yes, in a way I was already warned that some may respond with irritation or even anger to what I have to say. As Valerie Greenberg wrote, quoted here (http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal/transgress_v2/transgress_v2_singlefile.html) by Alan D. Sokal, crossing the borders of scientific disciplines is "a subversive undertaking".

Finally, I find it sad that the two most popular pages on my website have to do with hurting: psychopathy (http://www.syntheory.com/psychopathy/psycho.html) and hacking (http://www.syntheory.com/policult/hackdown.html).