PDA

View Full Version : Optimism Quotient

mutineer
2003-Sep-12, 08:20 PM
Will our civilization survive - or will it collapse like every civilization before it? Is it a case of "Things can only get better"? :D Or are we closer to the precipice than we know? :cry: Are plague, pestilence and famine just around the corner? :cry: Or are we at the dawn of humanity’s Golden Age? :lol:

Kaptain K
2003-Sep-12, 08:59 PM
Yes! 8)

tuffel999
2003-Sep-12, 09:09 PM
You know that term hanging chad sounds so very obscene at times. I expect some great 70's music to play in the background(....knock...knock...knock...) hold on. (Opens the door) Can I help you and Oh why are you guys on horses? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......Its the end of the world...........

mike alexander
2003-Sep-12, 09:20 PM
Chad. As always.

xbck1
2003-Sep-12, 09:39 PM
What about pregnant chads?

By the way, isn't Chad a guy's name? How the heck does a guy get pregnant, and do I really want to know? :-?

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Sep-12, 10:08 PM
[rant mode]
When I am in a foul mood I usually think we're in the brink of a new Dark Age due to our increasing dependence on bloated badly written,overly complex and little understood computer software, particularly the one used in security applications (with the exception of most open source stuff) and the seemingly continous rise of things like the lunar conspirancy, planet-x etc.[/rant mode]

Fortunately, I am not in too much of a foul mood too often :D

mutineer
2003-Sep-12, 10:22 PM
By the way, isn't Chad a guy's name?
Indeed - and there was a Saint Chad, whose shrine is at Lichfield, by Cannock (pronounced Canuck) Chase, north of B'ham (pronounced Brum). Some suggested he should be proclaimed Patron Saint of Elections.

Chuck
2003-Sep-12, 10:47 PM
When was the last time there was no civilization anywhere in the world? Could anything short of human extinction snuff it out everywhere?

I'm voting that civilization will not disappear completely.

dgruss23
2003-Sep-13, 01:43 AM
What do you mean by civilization in this case mutineer? Are you talking about the global community, democratic societies, technological societies, certain religious cultures?

Pi Man
2003-Sep-13, 04:39 AM
Yeah! What is civilization? I don't think I've ever seen it! 8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Odinoneeye
2003-Sep-13, 09:03 AM
Ticketyboo?

I'm usually an optimist but if my only choices are complete desruction and "ticketyboo", I'll take the destruction.

mutineer
2003-Sep-13, 11:19 AM
What do you mean by civilization in this case mutineer? Are you talking about the global community, democratic societies, technological societies, certain religious cultures?
Ah! The ever-sane quiet voice of dgruss23 – of whom there is no one more worth reading. But you are not quite in the spirit of things, dgruss23!

There shall be fire and tempest. The barbarians shall arise and devour the cities of the plain. The temples and palaces shall be cast down, and the citadel shall lie in ruins. The mighty shall be diminished, and their servants shall be cast into the outer darkness. The oceans shall rise up and cover the earth. And there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
You will be in no doubt about the finer points of the issue, dgruss23!

Or will everything be ticketyboo? What have you got against that word, Odinoneeye? It’s my second favorite word in the whole English language (though there are many lovier words in Welsh).

I am trying to assess your Optimism Quotient, dgruss23. I think I have you in mind as a Hanging Chad.

SeanF
2003-Sep-15, 01:52 PM
[Ticketyboo is] my second favorite word in the whole English language.

Isn't there some kind of rule that "favorite words" in a given language have to actually be words in that language? :)

BTW, what's your favorite?

mutineer
2003-Sep-15, 09:50 PM
[Ticketyboo is] my second favorite word in the whole English language.
Isn't there some kind of rule that "favorite words" in a given language have to actually be words in that language? :)
More complaints! You must be using a seriously deficient dictionary! :evil:
However, I must admit that Google gives less than 5000 hits - which is rather few among its zillion pages. I note there was a preference for a hyphen or space between the tickety and the boo - a deplorable mistake in my opinion, carrying a subtle implication that more than one kind of tickety might exist.

BTW, what's your favorite?
I'm afraid it's rude. 8-[ (Not that the word = rude, you understand. It belongs to a set incorporating all words of the class = rude.) You can pm me if you want. :wink:

xbck1
2003-Sep-15, 10:49 PM
I'm afraid it's rude. (Not that the word = rude, you understand. It belongs to a set incorporating all words of the class = rude.) You can pm me if you want.

Are you referring to those "colorful metaphors"? :lol:

Great Satan
2003-Sep-20, 02:05 AM
Let's see.

Rome was founded as a city several centuries BC. The Latins took over and founded republic, then empire.

It divided. The "fall" was a relatively local phenomenon. The eastern empire was in expansion mode, however. The "Islamic" world expanded and proved to be--for its time at least--advanced, enlightened, and tolerant. India was civilizing well as well as China.

Of course, we had the "Holy Roman Empire," the Renaissance, and rise of the West. Like Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Lower Manhattan, the city of Rome is still around and doing alright.

The greatest threat to the West is supposedly the Mongols under Ghengis Khan, but his grandson turned out to be alright.

Me, I'm kind of bullish on civilization--though I think getting a few 10 000's of humans into space would be a good idea.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-20, 06:59 AM
We will fall.
We want to fall because we are doing all the things that ensure that we will fall
Why do I say this?
1 We are all egocentric.
1a All of those which have a singuler interest have no vision of the future but the future of themself being rich.
2 We have been destroying the world for a long time; and we are doing this at a faster rate.
2a The earth is a finite resourse.
3 The vaste majority of the planet believe in a god.
3a If you believe in a god you could not care what happens in the here and now.

Got a million more, but, I am sure that the point has been made.

Kaptain K
2003-Sep-20, 08:03 AM
Of course, we had the "Holy Roman Empire...
Which, to quote my history professor, "was a far cry from being Holy, wasn't Roman and was more of a loose confederation than an Empire"! :roll:

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 09:18 PM
Of course, we had the "Holy Roman Empire...
Which, to quote my history professor, "was a far cry from being Holy, wasn't Roman and was more of a loose confederation than an Empire"! :roll:

But they did have cool hats!