PDA

View Full Version : Probability

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-14, 05:46 PM
On a recent episode of Futurama, they land on a planet with a startling resmblance to ancient Egypt. One of the aliens remarks that its no conincidence.

Fry responds, "Ha! I knew it! Crackpot theories one. Regular theories one billion!"

I think it says something about the lone scientist who claims his work is being supressed and ignored by the "establishment". Sure, occasionally one of their ideas turns out to be correct, but quite often, the crackpot theory is just a crackpot theory.

Rob

Silas
2002-Mar-14, 07:17 PM
Science fiction writer Alexei Panshin, in "The Thurb Revolution" (jolly fun book, too!) suggests that everyone ought to adopt a pet crackpot theory, solely for the sheer joy if, however unlikely it might be, the theory turns out to be correct.

There are a lot of people who believe that the "expansionary phase" modification of the Big Bang is a crackpot theory, but it's an idea I have come to admire dearly...

For no reason other than the sheer absurdity of it, I also am (or mostly pretend to be) a Flat Earther. I've actually performed most of the experiments that the Flat Earth Society suggests -- although they never quite work out the way that the Flat Earthers say they should...

(I actually went to the south end of San Diego bay, and used a telescope to look at sailboats and ships at the north end. Yep: hull down, even in calm water. But I can always pretend that it's refraction of the air by the temperature differential: the cold air below and warm air up higher produce a prism effect. Yeah. That's it! It's an illusion! The world really is FLAT! FLAT, Flat, flat I tell you...)

(Further remarks forestalled by the arrival of men with butterfly nets...)

Silas

Bob S.
2002-Mar-14, 07:37 PM
Ah, Professor Farnsworth would be proud.
http://www.fox.com/futurama/

Don't let it die.
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/futufu/

Chip
2002-Mar-14, 07:47 PM
On 2002-03-14 12:46, Hale_Bopp wrote:
"I think it says something about the lone scientist who claims his work is being suppressed and ignored by the "establishment". Sure, occasionally one of their ideas turns out to be correct, but quite often, the crackpot theory is just a crackpot theory."

Yeah. Could you imagine what would happen if per chance a real alien ship finally did show up?
All the UFOists would be claiming "I was right! Build more pyramids!"

Or if someone figured out a way to actually go faster than light. The crackpots would shout "Relativity Wrong!" when what they'd really have to do is explain how matter can travel at light speed and reconcile relativity effects which are still observed.

aurorae
2002-Mar-14, 09:05 PM
On 2002-03-14 14:47, Chip wrote:
Yeah. Could you imagine what would happen if per chance a real alien ship finally did show up?
All the UFOists would be claiming "I was right! Build more pyramids!"

It would probably be a lot like that scene in "Contact" where all of the fringe groups were lining the road and doing all sorts of strange things while the Jody Foster character walked by.

kucharek
2002-Mar-15, 06:24 AM
Well, logic has no problems with the fact that
from false assumptions something true can be
concluded.
<code>
A B A=>B
T T T
T F F
F T T
F F T
</code>
A wrong theory can give correct answers, but on a closer look, some answers are wrong. That's when you have to look for a better theory, which may either be the refinement of the former - like Einstein replaced Newton, or something completely different - like geocentric vs. heliocentric solar system.
Well, Einstein's theory is also completely different from Newton's, but Newton's can be considered a special case of Einstein's.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-15, 12:24 PM
On 2002-03-15 01:24, kucharek wrote:
Einstein's theory is also completely different from Newton's, but Newton's can be considered a special case of Einstein's.
Mathematically, more of a limiting case, rather than a special case. Physically, hey, whatever works!

Jim
2002-Mar-15, 03:59 PM
On 2002-03-14 14:37, Bob S. wrote:
Ah, Professor Farnsworth would be proud.
http://www.fox.com/futurama/

Don't let it die.
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/futufu/

They'll probably replace it with Moon Hoax: The Series.

(If you haven't signed the petition yet, please do so now. Thanks.)

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-17, 04:13 PM
I've signed /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

'I got plans. I'm gonna turn my on/off switch to off.'

EckJerome
2002-Mar-21, 10:11 PM
My pet crackpot theory is that the alleged aliens that have been visiting us are not extra-terrestrial at all, but are from Earth...simply a previous advanced intelligent species that has been manipulating us the whole time.

Their teenagers also visited Mars and built the face as a giant practical joke on us gullible humans. Then, still unsatiated, they went to work for Fox.

How's that? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Eric