PDA

View Full Version : Would You Go?

SAMU
2003-Sep-15, 06:49 AM
If a space vehicle was developed that had a 1 in 4 reliability ratio, that is 1 in 4 were lost. It costs $25,000 for you to ride into space for 1 day. The loss of which will not cause public outcry for a more reliable vehicle (you pays you money, you takes you ride).

Would you do it?

PS

You're in there with a bunch of other people and you can't move around much. No space suit either.

PPS

What would be your minimum comfort and safety requirements?
You can go either way on this one, ie. you would go if you had to ride a cannonball up or you would only go if it was run by Delta and you could sue for $25,000 if you lost a toe.

freddo
2003-Sep-15, 07:00 AM
You didn't make it very enticing SAMU...

I think I'll wait until it gets a little more reliable thanks.. 8-[

Now if it was a 3 in 4 reliability ratio I might have second thoughts..... =D>

Colt
2003-Sep-15, 07:03 AM
I value my life too much for that.. Now, if you paid me a few million I might. -Colt

SAMU
2003-Sep-15, 07:15 AM
You didn't make it very enticing SAMU...

Enticing? It's not supposed to be enticing. I didn't even mention that the other passengers were French who don't bathe but once a week. And you got to have a wire up the gazoo.

But I'd do it, if I had to ride a cannonball up I'd do it. A 1 in 4 chance? Heck, I know I'm a lucky guy.

Colt
2003-Sep-15, 07:42 AM
I thought I'd make this clear.. I don't value my life at a few million dollars.. I value the risk i'm taking at that much. There's a difference. :) -Colt

Humphrey
2003-Sep-15, 07:16 PM
a 1 in 4 chance of making it back? Truthfully that is better odds than driving in my car and not dieing before i reach 80.

But since i am a scardy cat i wouyld wait for a 3 out of 4 chance, then i would go for it. :-)

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Sep-15, 07:21 PM
1 in 4? nope, I am a living example of Murphy's Law! :)

Kaptain K
2003-Sep-15, 07:46 PM
a 1 in 4 chance of making it back? Truthfully that is better odds than driving in my car and not dieing before i reach 80.
Is that 80 mph or 80 kph? :roll:

Humphrey
2003-Sep-15, 07:51 PM
years

SAMU
2003-Sep-15, 11:52 PM
a 1 in 4 chance of making it back?

No, a 1 in 4 chance of not making it back. That is, of 4 launches 1 blows up or is lost for some other reason.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-15, 11:54 PM
oh! then i would go. :-) where do i sign up?

And i am taking donations for the fee. :-P

freddo
2003-Sep-16, 01:42 AM
Enticing? It's not supposed to be enticing.

I see... Well I feel as though I have other things i want to accomplish before I take that big a gamble.

Maybe when I'm old and wrinkled.

Great Satan
2003-Sep-20, 12:51 AM
I'd wait for the chances to improve. With every death, I'm sure improvements and refinements will be made. This will also give me more time to save money--perhaps the flights will get cheaper. They might also go farther out. So for now, the answer would be no.

tuffel999
2003-Sep-20, 01:00 AM
1 in 10 before I go

snowcelt
2003-Sep-20, 06:37 AM
For all that say no. One word: chicken. Buck-buck-buck-buckUCK!

To do something that only a handfull have done before, and, you would not do it because of mundane reasons?

I would go for it in a hot minute.

sideways
2003-Sep-22, 11:16 PM
One the one hand, my desire to go into outer space is big enough for me to risk death. One the other hand, I don't wanna risk death (at least not yet).
:-?

Great Satan
2003-Sep-23, 12:27 AM
Let's make the stakes higher.

Case one: you're on a very short list to go to the moon with a 25% of not making it home. Still you get to ride the lunar rover and stay for a day or two.

Case two: you're on a very short list to go to Mars. You have enough O2, water, and food for a few days. Problem is, there's no turning back. You live on Mars, you die on Mars--saves on cost of returning you.

Case three: like two, but it's the 2 Moons you go to (not the planet itself), with a 60% chance of going back to Earth.

HankSolo
2003-Sep-23, 08:45 PM
1 in 4? nope, I am a living example of Murphy's Law! :)

Me neither. I'm a living example of HankSolo's Law!

HankSolo's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Doodler
2003-Sep-23, 09:27 PM
Are you kidding? I'd pay $50k for a two day weekend. Roll the dice and lemme fly!!

Gremalkyn
2003-Sep-30, 09:48 AM
Well, when my design team first built the things, the ratio was 1 return for every 3 non-returns. We had fun in those early days, shooting lawyers and insurance salemen into space. Woo! Then, something went wrong: more and more of them started to come back. Now, we are lucky to get rid of 1 in 4.

Personally, I think the "improved safety margin" is a result of a reduction of propellant potency, as we are still using the last bit of the initial batch of "space hooch." The notion that the Cosmos has decided that we really need those extra lawyers and insurance salesmen is both unscientific and depressing.

Thus, the drive for new funding. Once we collect enough funds, we can make a new batch of space hooch - at 100% potency - so we can return to our pevious "non-return policy."

As an aside, I understand that the "return trip" shots can be quite exciting. Going up into space, flitting about for a day, then returning - safely - to Earth (tm) ...

zebo-the-fat
2003-Oct-11, 12:52 PM
Wait until one blows up, then fly! What are the chances of two failures occuring together? :o

Tessera
2003-Oct-11, 05:51 PM
I don't think so; I have to take Xanax to get on a plane.

Glom
2003-Oct-11, 05:55 PM
I would if I got to fly it.

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-29, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't do it, a 25% chance of dying is to me a death-wish. Why not wait until technology advanced and it was made much safer? Perhaps at some point between 5-10% I would be interested. The safer it gets, the more likely one is to be able to make repeated flights afterall, why pin all your hopes on a single flight?

Nicolas
2005-Nov-29, 08:31 PM
Somehow, even if it would be 100% reliable, I feel I wouldn't spend 25000 $ for just one day in space (sounds like LEO to me).

It's an awful lot of money to me, and spending it all on a one day experience, I don't know...

I REALLY want to go into space, but it feels like a lot of money for a rather limited experience. I think there are things that would make me happier (or happy for a longer time) for 25000 dollars than a one day LEO commercial space ride.

That said, chances are I'll be doing my internship at ESA :D

Trebuchet
2005-Nov-29, 08:47 PM
I voted no. Russian roulette is safer and cheaper. And I'm not doing that, either.

Being diagnosed with a terminal illness would likely change my choice.

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-30, 01:04 AM
One day?

No.

An interplanetary expedition with 1/4 chance of getting killed?

Heck yeah.

paulie jay
2005-Nov-30, 01:09 AM
I certainly wouldn't pay for the ride, though if I were being paid then that would be a different story.

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-30, 02:51 AM
I won't use P2P software when there is probably less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of me getting sued. Why on earth would I do something that has a 1 in 4 chance of me dieing?

Ilya
2005-Nov-30, 03:13 AM
No way. Not even if you PAID me to go.

1 chance in 50 I would consider it... if I were getting paid. If I am paying $25K, I would not accept risk of more than 1 in 10,000.

Wolverine
2005-Nov-30, 03:13 AM
No. If I had 25 large (http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/14inchtruss.html) to blow, it wouldn't be on a ride.

Lord Jubjub
2005-Nov-30, 03:45 AM
1/10 failure rate is the biggest rate I would allow for any money--even that would be marginal.

Of course, as one gets older, the idea of a thrills for thrills' sake gets a little shaky.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-30, 08:59 AM
Definately not. I wouldn't spend $25k for a single day of anything, let alone something that there was a 75% chance would kill me. My young kids and missus would (hopefully) not let me do it even if I was deranged enough to consider it.

Philip A
2005-Nov-30, 07:32 PM
I'd go. I'm an adrenaline junkie anyway.

Nicolas
2005-Nov-30, 07:41 PM
so am I, but not a $25k overloaded adrenaline junky :)