PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Suggestion

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Mar-14, 11:55 PM
Maybe this has already been covered (I haven't been reading this forum as much, since I don't have the book yet), but Phil, you could probably get printed up some adhesive bookplates with your logo and signature on them, and then those of us who buy a copy of the book can send you a copy of the sales receipt and our mailing addresses, and you could send out the bookplates to be pressed into our copies of the book. That way, the necessary mail each way would only be a single envelope, not mailing the book itself back and forth. I'd even be willing to supply my own Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope for you to mail back the bookplate, so I'd pay for the mail both ways (no need to make you pay for hundreds of envelopes and stamps when it's us readers who want the sigs).

What do you think?

The Curtmudgeon

Lisa
2002-Mar-15, 01:12 AM
Er. I was supposed to keep the receipt?
Lisa

Zandermann
2002-Mar-15, 01:26 AM
Seems like a good suggestion, oh Curt one.

Unless the BA gets *so* much fan mail that it is unmanageable.

Perhaps, in addition to a SASE, we could also mail a ballpoint /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PS: I keep checking the BA's calendar, to see if maybe he's going to be in my neck of the woods, but there aren't any lectures/visits listed there.

(edited to add PS)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zandermann on 2002-03-14 20:29 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-31, 03:04 PM
I just noticed that Curt was the one to suggest this, which BA included in his latest newsletter--which actually goes one better since the plates will be signed, rather than printed:

"I have been getting requests for autographs for the book. I won't comment on what dire consequences this has for my opinion of the mental health of the country, but I have decided to acquiesce. If you have a copy of the book and want an autograph, email me at badastro@badastronomy.com. I will send you my snailmail address. Send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I will sign a sticker (called a "book plate" in the publishing biz) with my logo on it that you can put in the front of the book. The stickers are 9x13 millimeters (3.5x5 inches) so make sure the envelope is big enough. A standard business envelope should do the trick. Don't forget the stamp! This is a lot cheaper and easier than sending the actual book to me in the mail, so it seems like a good compromise."

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-31, 05:36 PM
Heh. I was going to post about this today, but I am only slowly catchingup with my things to do.

So yes, send me an email and I'll send you an address to which you can send an SASE.