PDA

View Full Version : No Doomsday in 2012

Fraser
2008-May-19, 10:20 PM
Apparently, the world is going to end on December 21st, 2012. Yes, you read correctly, in some way, shape or form, the Earth (or at least a large portion of humans on the planet) will cease to exist. Stop planning your careers, don't bother buying a house, and be sure to spend the last years [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/)

2008-May-19, 11:12 PM
Clap. Clap. Clap.

KaiYeves
2008-May-20, 12:46 AM
Very well done. Everything I've been telling people, although I'm not believed.

EliTheRussian
2009-Jan-04, 08:56 PM
I'm not Christian or Catholic or... anything. I'm sixteen so I'm not too worried about religion at the moment. But when I heard about the death date in 2012 and that all that evidence was pointing to it from all over the world, I bugged out. Every time I would calm myself down something would come up on TV and remind me that Armageddon is near. So, looking at your article was yet another attempt for me to convince myself that I will live past my first year in college. Let me tell yah, I am relieved and thank you so much for writing about this. I seriosuly doubt I will ever be panicking about that until they make up the next end of the world.

----Eli

NosePicker
2009-Jan-05, 09:47 AM
You WILL have something to worry about... FINALS!

jreily
2009-Jan-09, 05:17 PM
There is another thread on this subject, but it was closed so I couldn't post a reply. Anyway, I saw this website on the other thread www.astroviewer.com, and it will calculate the positions our planets and sun will be in our galaxy on any given date. So, just for laughs I entered the date December 21, 2012, and guess what? The theories of the sun lining up in the center of the galaxy as well as a perfect planetary alignment are true. The sun sits right in the center of where the North and South and East and West poles intersect. The planets are in alignment now, but it is a little more profound on that date. Of course, even though the planets are in alignment now, and nothing catastrophic has happened yet, does that mean that nothing is going to happen on December 21, 2012? What I think is a likely scenario is that millions of people will get so freaked out about the whole thing that there will be mass chaos everywhere. Only time will tell in my opinion.

jreily
2009-Jan-09, 05:24 PM
Just go to astroviewer.com, type in December 21, 2012 using the interactive sky map, and all of the planets are in perfect alignment, and the sun is in the center of the galaxy, just as the mayans predicted. Of course, the planets are already in alignment now and nothing catastrophic has happened yet.

jreily
2009-Jan-10, 12:59 AM
Well, just to be 100% sure, I contacted NASA and requested that they email me a satellite image of the earth indicating the current position of the poles as well as what their position will be like in the next ten years. It takes a couple of weeks for the email to be processed, so I'll let you guys know what they say. As far as I can tell, the poles will NOT be reversed in 2012, not even close, unless of course, some catastrophic act of nature destroys the earth's magnetic field and solar storms from the sun wipe out the atmosphere and cause the earth's surface temperature to rise dramatically.

nauthiz
2009-Jan-10, 01:27 AM
Anyway, I saw this website on the other thread www.astroviewer.com, and it will calculate the positions our planets and sun will be in our galaxy on any given date.

That site doesn't draw the galaxy, it gives a map of what the sky will look like from a given position on the planet's surface at a given date and time.

In a map like that, the planets and sun should always look like they're lined up, because they all orbit within a fairly thin plane called the ecliptic - which is indicated by a dotted line in the charts that program generates. You can also change their positions within the chart pretty dramatically by just shifting the hour it's set for back and forth or changing the location the map's being drawn for.

matthewota
2009-Jan-10, 01:43 AM
The galactic poles were arbitrarily set by somebody. they are a human construct,just like the Mayan Calendar. Why people believe the universe to tick to our arbitrary time measurement systems, or our arbitrary mapping grids? It is total nonsense....

There is another thread on this subject, but it was closed so I couldn't post a reply. Anyway, I saw this website on the other thread www.astroviewer.com, and it will calculate the positions our planets and sun will be in our galaxy on any given date. So, just for laughs I entered the date December 21, 2012, and guess what? The theories of the sun lining up in the center of the galaxy as well as a perfect planetary alignment are true. The sun sits right in the center of where the North and South and East and West poles intersect. The planets are in alignment now, but it is a little more profound on that date. Of course, even though the planets are in alignment now, and nothing catastrophic has happened yet, does that mean that nothing is going to happen on December 21, 2012? What I think is a likely scenario is that millions of people will get so freaked out about the whole thing that there will be mass chaos everywhere. Only time will tell in my opinion.

jreily
2009-Jan-10, 04:11 AM
Oh, okay. I was just going by what I saw. However, I am expecting to hear NASA in a few weeks, and if they confirm that the poles will not be reversed in 2012, then we will know for sure that the 2012 armageddon thing is complete **.

mpropelus
2009-Jan-10, 07:18 AM
This article is a must read for all those who were brainwashed by the misleading facts about 2012. I also hear minors (such as 8 yr old kids) hearing about this story and is very scared about this. I hope this thread will gain more publicity. Thanks to the writer!

Van Rijn
2009-Jan-10, 09:55 AM
This article covers the pole flip nonsense:

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/03/2012-no-geomagnetic-reversal/

urbabe47
2009-Jan-12, 01:19 AM
I was looking for something to watch and came across the Nostradamus 2012 program on the History channel. It looked pretty interesting so I watched.It seems pretty ridiculous to assume the world will come to an end just because a calendar is ending. I decided to find out more on why people think this is going to happen because it doesn't seem to be based on science at all. On one page describing the Mayans and their calendar, it said that every 52 years (when 2 of their calendars coincided) they hide their pregnant women and children, broke pottery, made human sacrifices, etc. because they thought the world was coming to an end. And this is what we are basing this prediction off of. Silly.

Dr Science. A Magicianist
2009-Jan-13, 08:21 AM
See, I read it all had something to do with the sun crossing the galactic center plane. Sorry, this is only my second post here and I suppose making it in a "doomsday" thread might be a bad idea, but this caught my eye. Ha.

solitonmanny
2009-Jan-13, 12:32 PM
To all bi-pedal, carbon based lifeforms inhabiting the third mudball:

Message from the Galactic Council reads...

...whoops!.. so sorry, but all complaints about the forthcoming traffic contraflow system should have been sent to the .....

"It doesn't matter really Griklox, these apes have only just crawled out of the caves"

"Too true Brian (?)...its not as if the universe will miss them"

All of the above makes as much sense as the original post.

Best to all and take care,

Manny
The Newbie

Swift
2009-Jan-13, 02:41 PM
See, I read it all had something to do with the sun crossing the galactic center plane. Sorry, this is only my second post here and I suppose making it in a "doomsday" thread might be a bad idea, but this caught my eye. Ha.
I'm sure you read that, such things are all over the Internet. But its nonsense. Search on "2012" or "galactic plane" around BAUT and you'll find lots of information

BLAH63
2009-Jan-24, 07:55 PM
I just have one question...

you said in the beginning of the article that:

The calendar was constructed by an advanced civilization called the Mayans around 250-900 AD.

but then towards the end on the article you say:

Well, 13.0.0.0.0 represents 5126 years and the Long Count started on 0.0.0.0.0, which corresponds to the modern date of August 11th 3114 BC.

Now my question is How does the calender start on August 11th, 3114 BC if the Mayan civilization wasn't constructed until 250-900 Ad? Did they just pick a date to start this calender? And if so then if the starting date is changed, the doomsday date would change.

If you could answer this, it would clear everything up for me. Thank You

Buttercup
2009-Jan-24, 08:49 PM
It's impossible for anyone to know for certain until 1/1/2013.

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Jan-24, 09:49 PM
I thought everyone knows the world will really end on 19 January 2038, at 03:14:07 UTC.

Nick

Halcyon Dayz
2009-Jan-25, 08:19 AM
Now my question is How does the calender start on August 11th, 3114 BC if the Mayan civilization wasn't constructed until 250-900 Ad? Did they just pick a date to start this calender? And if so then if the starting date is changed, the doomsday date would change.

If you could answer this, it would clear everything up for me. Thank You
How can you change a starting date?

A starting date for a calendar is called an epoch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_(reference_date)).
The epoch of our calendar is January 1st, 1 AD, which was picked in the year 525 by the monk Dionysius Exiguus.
Meaning that at some point an epoch half a millennium earlier was established.
August 11th, 3114 BC must have had some significance for the Maya.

Anyway, the Maya calendar stops the same way as ours does on the 31st of December.
We'll just have to buy a new one.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count):

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem.

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

So, no Maya Apocalypse.

Just search this site for 2012. Plenty of threads.
(Binary Man, were is The List?)

I thought everyone knows the world will really end on 19 January 2038, at 03:14:07 UTC.
The End Of The World As We Know It, TEOTWAWKI for short, has been predicted several hundred times since antiquity.

A Brief History of the Apocalypse. (http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm)

So far, epic fail. So the odds are against it. :whistle:

Nearly 3,000 comments. That has got to be some sort of record.

nauthiz
2009-Jan-25, 06:53 PM
Did they just pick a date to start this calender?

Yup. Just like how we picked a date to start the counting for our current calendar that was a ways in the past. The anno domini year reckoning (the one we normally use today) wasn't introduced until the 6th century; the people who introduced it just picked a date over 500 years in the past from which to start the counting.

When Roman historians introduced the AUC epoch, year 1 was also centuries in the past.

nauthiz
2009-Jan-25, 07:02 PM
The End Of The World As We Know It, TEOTWAWKI for short, has been predicted several hundred times since antiquity.

A Brief History of the Apocalypse. (http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm)

It's interesting to note that that list has several cases where people have decided it's the end of the world just because some calendar somewhere is about to tick over into the next order of magnitude.

Fun fact: Cars don't end when the odometer ticks over to 5 digits. Unless they're made by General Motors, that is.

BLAH63
2009-Jan-25, 09:02 PM
Thank you for clearing up the question for me. My other question was that the author says that the Mayan civilization created the calender around 250-900 AD but then he also says that the long count started August 11th 3114 BC. If im not mistaken, isn't that before 250-900 AD. So how can the long count start before the calender was even created?

nauthiz
2009-Jan-25, 10:13 PM
The same way the one we use starts counting from a date about 5 centuries before it was created. There's no rule that says that a calendar's day 1 has to be the day it was designed.

Casey Sceptre
2009-Mar-29, 04:06 AM
I finally found a 2012 directory website with a list of all the december 21 2012 prophecies and some pretty good information about each prediction at AncientProphet.com ( www.AncientProphet.com ) I've been seeing a lot of changes and additions to the list of prophecies on the Ancient Prophet site over the past few days, so I'm guessing it's brand new, but it already has some great info. I thought I would share as I've been trying to figure out this mad 2012 puzzle myself.

Swift
2009-Mar-29, 03:56 PM
Hi Casey Sceptre. Welcome to BAUT. If you read through this thread or many of the other ones on BAUT, you will find lots of information showing that the prophecies are bunk. The planetary alignment mentioned at the top of that website isn't even true.

Vanamonde
2009-Apr-06, 12:21 AM
Fraser, it is so good to have you back on Astronomy Cast and I am glad you are better. And I have heard you ridicule this nonsense a couple of times and it does deserve it.

BUT why do you advertise it? Just today the top of Universe Today and the disturbing graphic of the Big One about to hit the earth and title

December 21, 2012

Why you do this? Yes, I see it is a Google/DoubleClick ad but this is YOUR website and YOU use this "service" to pay for it. And maybe profit? I hope so, I want you to profit so you can continue many, many more years.

And are you not responsible for your business? If you could get this.....nonsense off of your site, I do believe you will have elevated it a bit, make it a better site. Why run ads that you must apologize for?

JodyWolaver
2009-Apr-09, 05:25 AM
That is the most retarted theory I have heard. You guys are trusting a calender created centuries ago. There is going to be no Doomsday on December 21, 2012, the Bible clearly states that the rapture will take place when you least expect it. You say the world will end in 2012, now I am certain it is not. It may take place before, or after.

JodyWolaver
2009-Apr-09, 05:28 AM
Again who cares about the end of the world, if you are saved and know Jesus then you won't be around to take place in it!

Josh
2009-Apr-09, 06:23 AM
Jody,

Welcome to the Forum. The Rules (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-rules-faqs-information/32864-rules-posting-board.html#post564845) of BAUT forbid any discussion of religion. This is a one off warning.

Vanamonde
2009-Apr-19, 03:59 PM
Again who cares about the end of the world, if you are saved and know Jesus then you won't be around to take place in it!

I thought that Jesus taught us to love our neighbors and that we were all brothers and sisters. Do you not care about the others in the world who may not share your beliefs? Do you not care that your species would not continue?

Now, again, I do not believe there is any evidence of any kind that the Earth *is* in danger, but your attitude is so inconsistent with what I know about the teachings of Christ. I taught His message about about caring, not "I am saved and your not, ha, ha, ha"

I will post no more on this subject in this thread. This is not really a place for a religious discussion. But your attitude is not uncommon. My own father would talk about now caring about what happened after his death and I found that hurtful.

I care a great deal about what happens after I am gone. Not just for my children and grandchildren but for my nation, and my species. I pray that humankind makes it pass this terrible adolescence and that human wisdom will catch up to human technology before it all goes non-linear and then we can find a place in our galaxy to thrive for billions of years.

Moose
2009-Apr-19, 05:16 PM
Vandamonde, please see Josh's warning immediately above your post. There is a general prohibition on religious discussion (either for or against) on this board.

Jerry
2009-Apr-19, 09:50 PM
If the world really was coming to an end, wouldn't it give us an excuse to have one hell of a party?

Sam5
2009-Apr-19, 09:53 PM
Thank you for clearing up the question for me. My other question was that the author says that the Mayan civilization created the calender around 250-900 AD but then he also says that the long count started August 11th 3114 BC. If im not mistaken, isn't that before 250-900 AD. So how can the long count start before the calender was even created?

The story I read in an archaeology book is that when the Mayans invented their calendar, they used it to calculate back to the beginning of the universe, much like the Jewish calendar dates back to their creation date. But the book didn't say how the Mayans figured on that particular date for their creation date.

wisdom3
2009-Jun-21, 04:54 AM
Besides the Mayan Calendar, there are other source from the past that talks abt. the year 2012

The Hopi Indians, The Bible Code software, the web-dot (don't recall exactly the name but it was in either history channel or National geographic,and also in Montel Williams show), check the original Hebrew calendar, by there old calendar the new century should star in the year 2012. Also in Italy, I believe it was last year they discovered a bk w/some paintings, which they think where either from Nostradamus or his son (they are not sure) but the odd thing that the symbols in the painting also indicates the year 2012, the alignment in the star, and the manifestation of 13 zodiac sign, (you can check all this either in History Channel or National Geographic) which opens some sort of black rift. There also this guy that did some investigation with all chinese symbols that also indicates something happening on the year 2012.

I don't know if something is going to happen or not. But what gets my attention is the different sources that talk abt this year. Coincidence?
I don't know. You form you own opinion

Wisdom3

Van Rijn
2009-Jun-21, 08:39 AM
I don't know if something is going to happen or not. But what gets my attention is the different sources that talk abt this year. Coincidence?

No, not so much coincidence as things that don't actually mention 2012, but people saying they do, or recent numerology gimmicks people did because of the 2012 fad, or things you'd expect to mention 2012, like a webbot searching for common terms found on the web.

I don't know. You form you own opinion

Wisdom3

My opinion is that these claims of prediction are completely useless. My opinion is that you should do a bit more research and not take History Channel too seriously.

Rev. Dr. DCMarbaus
2009-Jun-24, 05:23 AM
Hard evidence is a funny thing. Here I thought that we were the smartest culture, or not.

The Mayans knew of this end of the calender due to the advanced knowledge on galactic affairs. While the western civilizations were debating on whether earth or the sun was the center of the universe they were pin pointing, with greater accuracy than we have today, the day the sun, earth and center of our galaxy would meet.

Now in this day in age that would be a simple as a computer application, but back then the concept was impossible. They had a way, that is more advanced than our own today, to calculate these exact moments of astronomy. We should do well to, at the very least, understand that their predictions are derived from the same source of a technology that is greater than our own.

They were lacking mechanical technology, but when it comes to their specialty I think we are still ignorant. We should use their information and confirm the relationship between their calender events that have past(this is being done).

As for the future, if you cannot predict it yourself then get off the stage. We have to allow the fact that either you have facts or you don't.

One fact is that the Mayan predictions have been accurate. What fact are you bringing to the table to support your lack of an event on this date? I just see the hopeful face of ignorance. Though this is nice, it lacks any real evidence due to the fact that the Mayans have a better track record and we lack the understanding of their technologies, or how they even could have known about the center of a galaxy(or even the concept of a galaxy itself) during this time.

I am sorry but the article is full of Mayan history and is accurate. However your conclusions about their predictions seem to lack ability to discredit the Mayans accuracy. I will have to believe that the Mayans actually might know something we don't since they did back then and we are just now catching up.

Good luck!

Van Rijn
2009-Jun-24, 07:29 AM
The Mayans knew of this end of the calender due to the advanced knowledge on galactic affairs. While the western civilizations were debating on whether earth or the sun was the center of the universe they were pin pointing, with greater accuracy than we have today, the day the sun, earth and center of our galaxy would meet.

The Earth and sun aren't anywhere near the center of the galaxy. If you're talking about approximate geometric alignment, there isn't anything special about 2012. (http://www.bautforum.com/1248819-post4.html) So much for advanced knowledge on galactic affairs.

gatorain
2009-Jun-24, 07:56 PM
one thing i know about dec 21 2012 is the shortest day of the year. It is fact. then something go wrong after that day which will trigger pole shift.

Halcyon Dayz
2009-Jun-27, 04:06 PM
one thing i know about dec 21 2012 is the shortest day of the year. It is fact. then something go wrong after that day which will trigger pole shift.

Since there wasn't a geographic pole shift the last 4.5 billion times the year had a shortest day, why would 2012 be any different?

===

A list of threads and articles discussing 2012 compiled by member 01101001 (http://www.bautforum.com/members/01101001.html).

2003 no, 2012 si (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=03179)
2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=03181)
End of Mayan Calendar (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=04509)
Pole shift / Planetary alignment 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=07145)
2012 alignment question (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=09421)
about the Mayan 2012 item (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=10214)
2012 Debunking? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=10724)
Possible asteroid impact in 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=10924)
2012 asteroid? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=13592)
We don't have to worry about 2012! (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=16490)
More on 2012 from India Daily (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=16709)
2012 Completion of conspiracy? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=17667)
Here's what's REALLY going to happen in 2012... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=18322)
crop circles, Planet X and 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=18375)
Planet X, crop circles and 2012 cataclysma (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=18378)
According to the Mayans, what will happen on 23rd Dec. 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=18757)
More 2012 Nonsense (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=19201)
NEO 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20191)
Dangerous NEO in 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20539)
Christmas 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=23941)
2012 mayan calender end of world (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=30892)
Regarding the supposed polar shift/new ice age in 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=31452)
New 2012 threat? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=32413)
2012 look at this thing on the sun (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=35462)
Russian Expert Predicts Global Cooling from 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=38978)
Pole shift idea origins (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=43775)
Dec 20 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=46117)
2012 Stuff (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=51021)
No reply previous question (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=52297)
Horizon Project-New End of World Scare? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=53788)
Date: December 21st 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=53831)
Earth passing thru Galactic center in 2012 - didn't that already happen? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=53904)
2012: What do you think well happen (if anything) (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=53924)
So what will we see in 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=54404)
Galactic Tsunami? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=54418)
Plane of the ecliptic of the galaxy? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=55312)
Earth's Magnetic Field & 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=55386)
2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=56513)
Any truth to this? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=58039)
How can the sun be aligned with Galactic centre? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=63109)
the whole 2012 poles flip nonsense (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=63449)
Planet X Official Advertisement (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=65831)
What year are we in (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=66055)
Quick question about the sun (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=66221)
Galactic Alignment (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=66414)
Books of 2012! - (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=67663)
2007 = 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=67908)
Return of Planet X By Rand (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=67948)
Don Alejandro - Mayan Elder. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=67954)
Toutatis 4179: 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=68472)
Galactic Alignment in 2012 ? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=68661)
Solar Storms (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=68907)
A real prediction! (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=69448)
NIBURU - Brown Dwarf, The DESTROYER (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=70163)
2012 Galactic Alignment (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=70260)
Not 2012 again! But I cant help it~ (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=70438)
New evidence for 2012 TEOTWAWKI!!! (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=70795)
this may be a silly question but... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=71061)
Just to know if this is true (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=71216)
Just Wondering... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=71633)
Planet X/Nibiru, is it real? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=72398)
Youv heard this a million times. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=72777)
Nibaru or Planet X (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=73180)
Mayan calendar (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=73414)
2012 Article? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=73492)
can i say something please on planet x (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=73579)
Nibiru (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=73654)
The growing earth.... :P (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=74164)
Our Solar System's Eclipse of the Galactic Plane on Dec 21, 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=74615)
Something scaring the hell out of me.... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=74881)
It's Only the end of the World AGAIN!!! (Woo Woo Alert) (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=76346)
2021 Doomsday (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=77802)
is it just me or is the milky way brighter..? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=77955)
Polar Shift in 2012? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=78219)
I would like to ask about Nubiru stuff... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=78719)
Bit behind the times, my appologies... (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=78966)
the "pole shift thing" (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=79146)
All the Truth about 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=79425)
Confused about 2012 (yes, another one!) (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=79817)
Another paranoia mind due to 2012 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=80144)
novelty theory (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=80949)
Possibility of Pole Shift (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=81227)
2012 Vectors (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=81304)
Nibiru Question (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=81363)
Odd things floating on google sky (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=82312)
2012 end of the world? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=86195)
2012 and Solar Storms? (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=87388)
Nibiru (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=88006)

Universe Today: No Doomsday in 2012 (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/)
Bad Astronomy Blog: 2012, the year nothing will happen (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/05/19/2012-the-year-nothing-will-happen/)
Universe Today: 2012: No Planet X (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/25/2012-no-planet-x/)
Universe Today: 2012: Planet X is not Nibiru (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/19/2012-planet-x-is-not-nibiru/)
Universe Today: 2012: No Killer Solar Flare (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/21/2012-no-killer-solar-flare/)
Universe Today: 2012: No Geomagnetic Reversal (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/10/03/2012-no-geomagnetic-reversal/)
Universe Today: 2012: No Comet (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/12/21/2012-no-comet/)
Universe Today: Another Voice Against 2012 Mania (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/15/another-voice-against-2012-mania/)

gatorain
2009-Jun-27, 05:27 PM
Since there wasn't a geographic pole shift the last 4.5 billion times the year had a shortest day, why would 2012 be any different?

shhhh

Brgbrg
2009-Aug-03, 01:46 AM
Hello!

Sorry for the rash title, but I have some observations to make regarding this thread.

I am Mexican; I am an amateur anthropoligist with a keen interest on Precolumbian calendars; I have studied the works of specialists on the Aztec, Mixtec and Mayan cultures; I have copies of almost all extant codices from these said cultures; and I can assure you that this 2012 Mayan Calendar/Prophecy is completely baseless and bogus.

Mr. O'Neill has debunked it almost perfectly. However, in doing so, he has put forward some facts that are wrong:

- "Archaeologists and mythologists on the other hand believe that the Mayans predicted an age of enlightenment when 13.0.0.0.0 comes around"

This is false. The Maya were obsessed with time, but in a very limited way, meaning that they focused on how it related to their culture, especially on battles, births, sacrifices and such. They though of time as cyclic, so they kept track of it to know when a date was propitious for specific acts, to know the fate of someone born then, or to predict eclipses (there are tables in the Dresden Codex for this, but obsolete by now). Nowhere in the codices is an "age of enlightenment" being described. And note that I wrote "cyclic" above, as there is no "end" to their calendar. As a matter of fact, I read somewhere (i.e.: in an anthropology paper) that the 13.0.0.0.0 is a shorthand of a much larger calendar cycle, which does not end on 2012.

- "This myth says that if the 13 ancient skulls are not brought together at the right time, the Earth will be knocked off its axis."

There is no such myth in the written, oral or historic record of the Maya, Aztecs, Mixtecs, etc. Quite contrary, all of these cultures envisioned the world as flat and fixed on its place.

To put all of these in a nutshell: the Precolumbian cultures were bent on war, conquest and sacrifice; something quite different from the peaceful and "culturally and sicentifically advanced" image that the New Age movement keeps preaching about them. In order to better ensure the success of these bloody endeavors, the people of these cultures looked for signs on their calendars of events in the past that could be linked to those in the present, or the (near) future. I have put "near" in brackets because there is at least one record, carved on stone, of an event in the very far future, dated far beyond 2012. And what is this event about? The end of the world? An enlightenment age? No. It is the repetition of the crowning of King Pacal, one of the greatest kings the Maya had. They assumed that he would be king again on that date set in the far future because the calendar is cyclic and bound to repeat itself.

Brg

Leighla
2009-Aug-15, 01:03 AM
Ok ya'll. This is really creepy. How exactly is the world gonna end? Or is it even going to. Was it all some bunch of religious stuff to scare us or what? Did the Mayras ever explain what they ment. Or what? I'm really confused. Cuz what. Did we decode what they wrote or did someone tell us? How come we don't here about stuff like this on the news or in the paper? Commom people get real it's a scary store like Bloody Mary. :mad:

DrRocket
2009-Aug-15, 01:07 AM
Apparently, the world is going to end on December 21st, 2012. Yes, you read correctly, in some way, shape or form, the Earth (or at least a large portion of humans on the planet) will cease to exist. Stop planning your careers, don't bother buying a house, and be sure to spend the last years [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/)

The disaster will not be on 21 Dec 2012 but rather on 6 Nov 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012

We seem to have these disasters regularly at 4-year intervals. We'll probably survive the next one too.

Swift
2009-Aug-15, 04:30 AM
Ok ya'll. This is really creepy. How exactly is the world gonna end? Or is it even going to. Was it all some bunch of religious stuff to scare us or what? Did the Mayras ever explain what they ment. Or what? I'm really confused. Cuz what. Did we decode what they wrote or did someone tell us? How come we don't here about stuff like this on the news or in the paper? Commom people get real it's a scary store like Bloody Mary. :mad:
Hi Leighla, welcome to BAUT.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. As far as we know, the only way the world is going to end is in several billion years when the sun enters its red giant phase - I wouldn't worry too much.

The "world will end on Dec. 21, 2012" stuff is basically nonsense, put forth by people who have misunderstood stuff, or are trying to make money.

If you want to learn something about the Mayans, read the post just before yours, from Brgbrg (by the way, welcome to BAUT Brgbrg).

gaiuscaprica
2009-Sep-21, 02:14 AM
Why the title? just because they are Arbitrary predictions of what will happen on 2012 as any other in this post. If people like this sort of fear mongering then why not repeat the hysteria of 1910 :

Halley's Comet approached the sun in 1910, astronomers announced that Earth would actually pass through the tail of this comet during May of that year. They assured everyone that our planet was safe and suggested the possibility of some spectacular sunsets. Meanwhile, the doomsayers latched onto a potential link: if comets contain a poisonous gas and if Earth is going to pass through the comet's tail, then the people of Earth were in serious danger. Numerous newspapers actually published this story. Astronomers countered by saying the material in the tail was so spread out that there could be no ill affects, but few newspapers published this accurate information. Interestingly, a minor panic arose in some cities and entrepreneurs took advantage of it. They sold "comet pills" which were said to counter the effects of the poisonous gas. The pills sold like crazy. On May 20, after Earth had passed through the tail, everyone who had taken the pills was still alive...but, then, so was everyone else. -wikipedia

I think the 2012 pills should be yellow and maze flavored!
If folks want scary stuff why not talk about how science is being undermined by The Big bang theory-see Georges Lemaître then make the logical conclusion.

lesliejas
2009-Oct-12, 02:15 PM
Listen folks, you wanna see the world come to an end on December 21, 2012, how about have EVERY retail store in the continental United States shutdown that day, and then see what happens!lol Or maybe bribe some sick, sadistic electricians to kill all the power to the United States' power grids that day, just for fun!
I'm fascinated by the concept of 2012 largely because it is fun to postulate your own demise, everyone thinks about it, but it's certainly not something to dwell on. I just can't believe how many people have already forgotten Y2K (another United States invention) and how NOTHING happened on January 1, 2000. THEY would say we were prepared, but how do you prepare for something completely out of your control, if what people have interpretted the supposed Mayan prophecies to be revealing? You can't! So either way, whether you believe the Mayans predicted something or not, there's not really much you can do about it either way. But take heart doomsayers, after 2012 we already have the next BIG date in mind! Take your pick from either 2028, 2033, 2036, or 2060 because it's a sure bet when NOTHING happens December 21, 2012...again...one of those dates will be the next BIG THING...

lesliejas
2009-Oct-12, 02:29 PM
Now that's funny Gaiu. Much like the "War of the Worlds" broadcast by Orson Welles in 1938. I read an article on AOL where most of this Mayan Doomsday hype has come primarily from the United States and our inerrant belief that as the U.S. goes, so goes the rest of the world. Honestly, as we approach December 21st, people might get a little squeamish, but I really believe most people are tallying this up as hogwash just the same as Y2K. It really is a Western, Christian paradigm to fixate on the end of the world, which was carried over to the West from the original Western Civilization of Europe, who fixated long before us. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you really think about it, but people with clout seem to want the end to come in this country and why I'll never understand. Meanwhile the rest of us are enjoying our lives. I'll have a 2 year old that day in 2012, it's totally unfair to believe that my generation is going to face the end when so many lives will just be beginning.

slang
2009-Oct-12, 08:16 PM
I just can't believe how many people have already forgotten Y2K (another United States invention) and how NOTHING happened on January 1, 2000.

Trust me, I haven't forgotten. The many hours programming to fix Y2K bugs in the strangest places in old software still haunt me sometimes. Y2K was a real problem, and a great many people did a lot of work to make sure it wouldn't create a software chaos. It's not an invention. Of course you could mean that a lot of the hyped up scare stories from that time did not happen.. and a lot of those stories were completely bogus to start with. Y2K was mostly a potentially big economic problem, not an end of the world scare.

If you want to compare 2012 to something that didn't happen: try 2003 and nancy lieder's nonsense.

Yunus
2009-Nov-12, 04:58 AM
How did I get here tonight? This is very interesting! I am originally from Turkey, and living in U.S.A. I was just reading Turkish newspaper www.hurriyetim.com and I saw that there is an article about the movie 2012. I had never heard about this movie, I am not incurious about movies or an ignorant person, just in these days I am very busy with my master school stuff and my job. It was interesting for me because I had this dream long time ago and I am seeing the same things over and over. I started searching about this subject, and it was a little perplexing for me because when I got this website this was the thing I was always dreaming about. When I was a little boy even people were asking me some stuff from the future. They called me an augur sometimes. I don’t know for some reason I knew about the future sometimes. Anyway many people tell that they have this kind of things -or they are maybe skills???- on the earth and I am not going to make this a big deal. I just want to tell you my stuff now. My numbers 21st and 12, this is December 21st. And my dream about 2012: I am floating in the air and very high energy in the air, it’s hot. In my dream even iron was melting such as cars, buses and buildings etc… I was seeing myself transparent and floating in the space in the very high temperature like in the core of the sun. I was thinking about the year 2012 even sometimes during the day. 2012 was in my mind for some reasons while I was doing my daily routine things. Yes sorry first time I found out about this 2012 stuff that world was already talking about. I didn’t know that people already have some findings about this year, and this was very interesting for me, therefore I wanted to write these. Thank you for reading anyway.
Yunus

Ps. I was born on 13th by the way :)

2009-Nov-12, 08:12 AM
Welcome to BAUT Forum.

Anyway many people tell that they have this kind of things -or they are maybe skills???- on the earth and I am not going to make this a big deal.

You sound like another person in need of understanding Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark". (Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/0345409469))

nunya
2010-Jan-24, 06:18 AM
there is no way to say any thing like this will even happen in 2012.the world is safe to go on till the ONLY MAN GOD/CHRIST THE LORD says it will end.the bible says no man knows when the world will end only GOD him self!
so who says its over in 2012 needs to read the word of GOD(THE BIBLE)
AMEN may God be with us/you

yes times might get harder for us but we can't say its the end of the world as we know it; now can we.God has the right alone to say that answer

pzkpfw
2010-Jan-24, 07:47 AM
nunya, BAUT is not the place for posts with that kind of religious content. Please, no more. Please read the rules.

BAUT is a science board, and pretty much all science agrees that the "2012 thing" is nonsense. There is certainly nothing to worry about (except, perhaps, panic from the folk who do believe there's something in it.

Coco82
2010-Sep-01, 06:01 AM
Some blogger on FB is passing off this now as facr:

Scientists and Mayans warn us of the alignment with the sun solstice & galactic center which risks us for GALACTIC SUPERWAVES (accompanied by electromagnetic pulse waves which will sterilize all life on our planet) 2012 and beyond. Galactic superwaves are explosions sent out from our galaxy's center every 13,000 years or so. If unprepared, we will be facing the 6th mass extinction on Earth.

This probably fits into one of the debunk links, but wasn't sure which one.

Swift
2010-Sep-01, 12:52 PM
If Galactic Superwaves are sent out every 13,000 years or so, why wasn't the Earth sterilized in 11,000 BC?

Strange
2010-Sep-01, 12:58 PM
And if Galactic Superwaves destroy everything every 13,000 years, how would we know... It would be like trying to remember how many times you have had amnesia.

The Wiseman
2011-Jan-27, 10:36 PM
If you Google "3114 BC" you will learn that this is the year that the original construction of the ancient astronomical observatory "Stonehenge" was begun in ancient Britain. It might have been built by Druids - actually, nobody knows who first constructed it, and for what purpose. Now the following are facts: The original Stonehenge consisted of a circular earthen berm about three feet high dug with deer antler tools; all around the circle stood tall posts like telephone poles. One opening in the circle of posts allowed light to shine in on an object in the center of the circle of posts on only one day of the year - Summer solstice, June 21. Now the following is conjecture and speculation on my part: Summer solstice is exactly six months from winter solstice, December 21. Might this be some sort of a warning device to "get ready! - You have six months to prepare!" About the same time in other parts of the world, the ancient Babylonians, Sumerians, Egyptians, Assyrians and (probably) the forerunners of the Mayans - all founders of remarkable civilizations showing considerable scientific and mathematical abilities - were known to be spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy watching the night skies. While it might have been simply their interest in the world around them, a lifetime of hard knocks has convinced me that they were all watching for something dangerous to come out of the skies - again. More than ninety ancient and modern cultures have remarkably similar stories of a great world-wide destruction - i.e., something similar to Noah's Flood. In fact, when Captain Cook discovered the Sandwich Islands (today known as the Hawaiian Islands) in January 1778, he attempted to teach the natives from the King James Bible. Much to his surprise, when he came to the story of Noah's Ark in Genesis, the natives stopped him saying, "Oh yes, we know this story - we call the man "Noe". Is it possible that these ancient cultures were waiting for the return of something from the sky that would again destroy the world on the winter solstice? The Mayans measure off 5,126 years from August 11, 3114 BC and we make it December 21, 2012 AD. Guess we'll all know soon!

Hornblower
2011-Jan-28, 12:15 AM
If you Google "3114 BC" you will learn that this is the year that the original construction of the ancient astronomical observatory "Stonehenge" was begun in ancient Britain. It might have been built by Druids - actually, nobody knows who first constructed it, and for what purpose. Now the following are facts: The original Stonehenge consisted of a circular earthen berm about three feet high dug with deer antler tools; all around the circle stood tall posts like telephone poles. One opening in the circle of posts allowed light to shine in on an object in the center of the circle of posts on only one day of the year - Summer solstice, June 21. Now the following is conjecture and speculation on my part: Summer solstice is exactly six months from winter solstice, December 21. Might this be some sort of a warning device to "get ready! - You have six months to prepare!" About the same time in other parts of the world, the ancient Babylonians, Sumerians, Egyptians, Assyrians and (probably) the forerunners of the Mayans - all founders of remarkable civilizations showing considerable scientific and mathematical abilities - were known to be spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy watching the night skies. While it might have been simply their interest in the world around them, a lifetime of hard knocks has convinced me that they were all watching for something dangerous to come out of the skies - again. More than ninety ancient and modern cultures have remarkably similar stories of a great world-wide destruction - i.e., something similar to Noah's Flood. In fact, when Captain Cook discovered the Sandwich Islands (today known as the Hawaiian Islands) in January 1778, he attempted to teach the natives from the King James Bible. Much to his surprise, when he came to the story of Noah's Ark in Genesis, the natives stopped him saying, "Oh yes, we know this story - we call the man "Noe". Is it possible that these ancient cultures were waiting for the return of something from the sky that would again destroy the world on the winter solstice? The Mayans measure off 5,126 years from August 11, 3114 BC and we make it December 21, 2012 AD. Guess we'll all know soon!

When I Google that date I find lots of stuff of unknown credibility. If one does enough cherry picking and combines it with a vivid imagination, any sort of conclusion can be reached.

Swift
2011-Jan-28, 04:13 AM
<snip>
About the same time in other parts of the world, the ancient Babylonians, Sumerians, Egyptians, Assyrians and (probably) the forerunners of the Mayans - all founders of remarkable civilizations showing considerable scientific and mathematical abilities - were known to be spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy watching the night skies. While it might have been simply their interest in the world around them, a lifetime of hard knocks has convinced me that they were all watching for something dangerous to come out of the skies - again.
I find it much more likely that they were watching the skies because that was the best calendar they had available, and whether one is a hunter or a farmer, you need to know what time of year it was.

Is it possible that these ancient cultures were waiting for the return of something from the sky that would again destroy the world on the winter solstice? The Mayans measure off 5,126 years from August 11, 3114 BC and we make it December 21, 2012 AD.
No, it does not seem possible. There is zero evidence of such a thing, and while they were as intelligent as we are, there is no evidence that they had any ability to predict such events (or that such an event is going to happen).

Guess we'll all know soon!
I don't know about you, but I "know" it now.

Perikles
2011-Jan-28, 11:01 AM
If you Google "3114 BC" you will learn that this is the year that the original construction of the ancient astronomical observatory "Stonehenge" was begun in ancient Britain. Anybody prepared to believe that Stonehenge can be dated this accurately will no doubt believe anything.

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-28, 12:46 PM
If these people were waiting for a repeat of a doomsday Earth destroying event, then how did the story tellers survive the last one so they could describe it?

Strange
2011-Jan-28, 07:29 PM
If you Google "3114 BC" you will learn that this is the year that the original construction of the ancient astronomical observatory "Stonehenge" was begun in ancient Britain.

Do you have a reference for that date? A scientific one from experts in the field, not some nutty theory on YouTube.

About the same time in other parts of the world, the ancient Babylonians, Sumerians, Egyptians, Assyrians and (probably) the forerunners of the Mayans - all founders of remarkable civilizations showing considerable scientific and mathematical abilities - were known to be spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy watching the night skies.

They all had very good, practical reasosn for studying the stars. To develop a calendar so they knew when to sow and when to harvest. In the case of the Egyptians they also had to predict periodic events like the, potentially disastrous, flooding of the Nile.

In fact, when Captain Cook discovered the Sandwich Islands (today known as the Hawaiian Islands) in January 1778, he attempted to teach the natives from the King James Bible. Much to his surprise, when he came to the story of Noah's Ark in Genesis, the natives stopped him saying, "Oh yes, we know this story - we call the man "Noe".

Got a reference for that? I have never heard that story before.

The Mayans measure off 5,126 years from August 11, 3114 BC and we make it December 21, 2012 AD.

And then their calendar repeats (just like ours) so why is that date special? Why not sometime in 7138?

Guess we'll all know soon!

When nothing happens, will you come back and admit you were taken in by foolish stories?