PDA

View Full Version : Space Station Film Will Actually Be Filmed In Zero G

ToSeek
2008-May-22, 06:11 PM
Space Station Film Will Actually Be Filmed In Zero G (http://io9.com/392626/space-station-film-will-actually-be-filmed-in-zero-g)

A new apocalyptic space film called MNP will use all the space technology that director Mathieu Kassovitz (Gothika) can get his hands on. For MNP, named for the space station where much of the movie takes place, Kassovitz will workclosely with actual space stations and aeronautical organizations to bring actual science to the movie. Kassovitz will also use zero-gravity simulator planes for some scenes. The movie will follow two US actors and eight other international actors aboard the space station. Filming begins in 2011. [Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if545c66bc7e5705408ffad4779fc5b12)]

NEOWatcher
2008-May-22, 06:23 PM
Well; that sounded more like teaser hype than information.

Considering Zero-G has a specific module for filming movies, and A-13 has already done it, I'm not sure there's a lot of noteworthy stuff here.

And; Filmmakers have collaborated with NASA and scientists before.

I guess I'll wait until there's more info.

On the plus side, It's good that they think that accurate science might actually be a selling point to the movie.

KaiYeves
2008-May-22, 09:40 PM
I heart accuracy!

Jason
2008-May-22, 09:43 PM
Apollo 13 actually used real zero-G for far fewer scenes than you might think. For much of the movie it's just Tom Hanks and the others acting like they're in zero-G on an Earth-bound set.

ineluki
2008-May-23, 01:25 PM
On the plus side, It's good that they think that accurate science might actually be a selling point to the movie.

I'll believe in it when I see the accurate science in the movie.

Let's not forget, "Armageddon" and "The Core" had their scientific advisors too, but that doesn't mean the director will listen to them...

ToSeek
2008-May-23, 02:26 PM
Apollo 13 actually used real zero-G for far fewer scenes than you might think. For much of the movie it's just Tom Hanks and the others acting like they're in zero-G on an Earth-bound set.

Yes, I think there are maybe three or four genuine zero-G scenes, tops, with the most notable one being the first, right after they make it into orbit. If you don't actually see something floating in the air (and maybe not even then), it's not zero-G.

NEOWatcher
2008-May-23, 04:29 PM
But; that still qualifies to be "some" which is the word they used in the OP article.

I'll believe in it when I see the accurate science in the movie.
Me too, I only commented that they are thinking about it. What they do with the knowledge may be something all together different.

The fact that they are calling it apocolyptic makes me think they are more concerned over the shock than the realism.

Tuckerfan
2008-May-25, 02:00 AM
"Filming begins in 2011"? Why not use one of VirginGalactic's planes instead of a "Vomit Comet"? They're supposed to be flying by then, and they'd have much longer Zero-G times than the VCs. Sure, it's a little cramped and more expensive, but I know for a fact that you can get very small video cameras with the same level (or even higher) resolution as your standard 35 mm movie camera (the prosumer models you can buy for a few grand are as good as the digital cameras Lucas used for the prequels), so that frees up a bunch of space. You can also throw a bunch of green cloths over things and then composite in anything that you want to replace the look of the VirginGalactic stuff.

Okay, so it'd be a bit more expensive (potentially, it all depends upon what scenes and how much they intend to film in the VCs), but I'd be willing to bet that if you offered a cameo role to Sir Richard Branson, he'd knock down the price a bit, especially if you could work in the VG logo in the film.

KaiYeves
2008-May-25, 10:23 PM
Probably because VG is too wonderful for them to believe it. ;-)

ravens_cry
2008-May-25, 10:49 PM
Or maybe they could do the filming in one of these puppies. . .
http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/

Gemini
2008-May-26, 02:20 AM
Isn't MNP Mir in Cyrillic?

KaiYeves
2008-May-26, 11:30 AM
Isn't MNP Mir in Cyrillic?
Well, from my knowledge of Greek, which is close, I'd say that sounds about right.
(Greek MNP= English MER)

ravens_cry
2008-May-26, 12:53 PM
Close, very close, though the 'N' symbol is backwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir

Vonstadt
2008-May-26, 12:59 PM
It does sound interesting and accuracy is always high with me too!

I am curious now, I hadnt heard about this film until I came here.

ineluki
2008-May-27, 11:07 AM
I am curious now, I hadnt heard about this film until I came here.

Don't sweat it, if they start filming in 2011, they probably don't even have a script yet.