PDA

View Full Version : Ep. 90: The Scientific Method

Fraser
2008-May-26, 07:30 PM
You've heard us say it 90 times: "How we know what we know." But how do we know how we know what we know? So astronomers like all scientists use the scientific method. Without the scientific method we'd probably still think the Earth is flat, only a few thousand years old and the center of the universe. But with the scientific method everything changes. From biology, to chemistry, to physics, to astronomy it is impossible to count the number of changes that have happened to human society because of changes brought about from the scientific method. In this episode we tell you about what the scientific method is, how you can use it to improve your life, and discuss why gravity isn't just a theory.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/astronomycast/~4/298559593

More... (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/astronomycast/~3/298559593/)

Sticks
2008-May-27, 06:44 PM
But what breed of horse?

Symo
2008-May-28, 07:10 AM
Fraser in response to your wiki related reqeust for an article to be made for Astronomy Cast, well I tried, and got kicked to the curb!

Web-content (including websites and podcasts) can't just been added to wikipedia simply becuase they exist...they can be added only when they have established notability (Wikipedia:Notability web - Criteria) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_%28web%29#Criteria).

If you can point me at anything that fulfills any of those 3 criteria, then I'd be happy to get an article started (at least a stub to kick the thing off), I've done a bit of googling to see if i could come up with anything that could get us over the line, but haven't had too much luck...

anyone else know of something that will get us through?!

parallaxicality
2008-May-28, 03:10 PM
In my experience, articles on podcasts are getting merged into the articles on their host sites.

Lord Jubjub
2008-May-30, 11:23 PM
I was hoping I would hear something about Descartes and the philosophers of the Enlightenment.

dcl
2008-Jun-05, 10:50 PM
I've been hoping to see comments in this thread respond to the question "What is the scientific method and is it a valid path to new information about the nature of the Universe?" Come on, people.

parallaxicality
2008-Jun-06, 07:57 AM
What do you want us to say? That it isn't? That blind faith is better? What?

dcl
2008-Jun-06, 03:35 PM
What do you want us to say? That it isn't? That blind faith is better? What?
I would like to see people express their views on what was said in the podcast, whether they feel that what the podcast said about what constitutes the scientific method is correct, what flaws they see in the practice of the scientific method, and how they feel that the scientific method might be improved. I do not expect anyone to say that the scientific method is other than what it is claimed to be. I don't see how anyone can read into what I asked for that I think blind faith might be better than the scientific method. I feel that although he didn't add anything to the discussion, Lord Jubjub at least asked a question that might have led someone to contribute some substantial substance to the discussion.

plc222
2008-Jun-20, 05:58 AM
I don't have much to add to the steps of scientific method, but i do have an opinion on what is scientific attitude. I am not sure what i can say, but i will say something and then see if it holds water. An experiment, so to speak.

Someone mentioned Pamela's disappoinment in being mostly wrong after years of research, and that her crying about it was an emotional response.
Well, it may be the case. As a matter of FACT (sorry for the wordplay, but i stand behind it), everything we do is motivated by emotions.
Our most highbrow,scientific,detached,critically analized thoughts are all intertwined in feedback loops with our emotions.

Why do we even want to know what is fact?
Our REASONS for being totally unemotionally motivated are emotional.
If we do not accept that fact, we will be more affected by it then if we freely admit and love that aspect of ourselves.
I realized this when trying to understand myself and the meaning of life.
That is the most subjective thing to try to understand -and there are no experiments for it.
Well, as psychologist (philosopher/scientist) Jordan B. Peterson points out, the expanse of what we do not know is , and always will be, infinitely greater than what we DO know. Accepting that is what can alow us to be humble enough to go into chaos to find what we need to make order of it.
That is the story of the mythological hero- (ref: Joseph Campbell as well) the great psychology- the great science- the great religon. That aspect of our nature is certainly what god represented - our consciousness- a matrix to interact with the matrix of reality - our ability to face great unknown fears and face them and, as important as the facts we learn, the understanding we gain of ourselves - that we can made order of chaos - find meaning in an objectively meaningless universe. Our understanding that all we know personally will perish as if it never was, but that others will go on, others will come .. that for all we can do for ourselves... we may as well be dead already .. our only path is to make sacrifice - to lay what we know on the alter of sacrifice. To risk what we think we know in order to know a bit more.
Why is this podcast? Why are we obsessed with knowing? Why do we want to share knowledge? It is not all arrogant egotism or protective agressiveness to defend what we *know*. That is a lot of it, but there is always more to everything. If we believe others are wrong .. why do we care? Well, to be wrong meant death for maybe hundreds of thousands of years. No wonder it is complex. No wonder the most powerful supercomputer possible is hardwired directly to emotions. :lol:
Well, nothing is simple - everything really does affect everything else, all in degrees. There is no point in knowing reality until you first ask (not KNOW, but ASK) what is important to know - and for humans , all that is important is: what is important for humans.
Reaching out into space is the ultimate expression of all this. Knowing that, for all we can do for ourselves, all that we can hold on to (humans for the next few thousand years) we might as well be dead. The only path is is forward.
For myself , in my search to understand life ... yeah, I cried, too .. when i realized how wrong i had been about myself- all of us- life - reality. I knew some facts i could not dispute about what we are ... but after so long I was struck down and humbled by my own emotions. I realized that I needed to know more.

I WAS RIGHT all along about everything ... yet came to the wrong conclusion.

NEVER stop trying to prove yourself wrong. That is not scientific method, but ... equally important.. it is scientific attitude.

Now i have made my claims and the only thing to do is to see where I am wrong. It is not right or wrong that matters so much as ..in what WAYS, to what DEGREES, how it MATTERS with repect to everything else ..over time .. and through space.

Kirk out

Sticks
2009-Aug-12, 07:42 AM
I revisited this entry and got the following error message

@import url( http://www.astronomycast.com/wp-content/themes/AstroCast/style.css );