PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy Cast Origin?

Huntley
2008-May-28, 08:37 AM
Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered, but I just got to wondering...How did astronomy cast initially come about?!

My job has me driving around to different places in los angeles all day so my ipod is ALWAYS on in my car, and ever since i finished my last audiobook, it's been non stop Atsronomy cast. (*Fraser and Pamela, you guys are great travel buddies by the way!! You constantly keep my attention without making it too difficult to understand, and you both have really amazing soothing voices!! Seriously, it makes being stuck in the car all day much more bearable, can't tell you how much i love the show!)

So yeah, I was just wondering how it all got started. I know it was a bit of time before you two actually met face to face, so how did the concept of having an astronomy podcast originate and how did Fraser and Pamela come together to form the awesome show we have today?

abo999
2008-Jun-11, 10:33 PM
Hey, that's exactly how I listen to my podcasts! I travel twice a week to another office location and it's five hours in the car each time, though the views of the English Pennines and Lake District have *got* to be better than LA streets ;-)

syameese
2008-Jun-12, 10:23 AM
I only found Astronomy cast about a month ago and I have downloaded all the back episodes and have been listening to them as I travel from my current home (Canberra, Australia) to what will be my new home at the coast about 2 hours away. Awesome stuff.:)

Jared Croft
2008-Jun-15, 12:43 AM
Way back when; Pamela helped make Slacker Astronomy podcasts. Meanwhile Fraser made the Universe today podcast. After a year and a half or so of this being the state of affairs, they banded together to create the Astronomy Cast and quickly left their old podcast pursuits behind.

Thats the story in as much detail as I know.

StarStryder
2008-Jun-18, 02:42 AM
Jared has it mostly right :-) What he's missing is Phil Plait was the podcast match maker. Fraser and I knew each other from the early days of podcasting, but it was Phil who encouraged us to create something together.

Slardybardfast
2008-Jul-31, 01:07 AM
I found Astronomy Cast about a month ago. I have also downloaded all episodes and I am working my way through them. I have made a small donation to the University (hint, hint to the rest of you listeners).

As described in a post above, you both have soothing, easy to listen to voices. Pamela, I can not believe how well you speak during the podcasts: so few stumbles. The content is great. I can not believe how much I have learned from the tour of the planets. Even with my scientific background.

I have passed on your URL to several of my friends and mention Astronomy Cast when I can.

Keep up the excellent work and best wishes to you both.

John Rolin
Monroeville, PA