PDA

View Full Version : Books into movies

Tzuk_Te
2003-Sep-20, 03:30 AM
My firends (offline!) and I were discussing what SF books we'd like to see made into a movie. I'd thought I'd get everyone's opinion here so I'll start it off.

Personally, I like big. And if you want big, you have to go with Iain M. Banks. The two books I'd like to see are Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons. Consider Phlebas, I think, would be more accessible to audience, despite the non-Holywood ending. Its got action, its got interesting characters, and its got big. Orbitals, 2km long cruise ships, planetary crustal trains, big! Use of Weapons has some of that too, but I think the actual story is a bit better. Although how it would be filmed I'm not sure. That's why I'm not a director. Well, that and a few other things....

I'd also like to see either Revelation Space or Chasm City as a movie. Some of the stuff that Alastair Reynolds has dreamed up is too cool...

Other?

Tzuk Te

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 03:50 AM
Enders game is possibly being made into a movie, so that i9s one.

I would like Starship troopers To be made into a movie. It would definitely make a good one.
Forever war too

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-20, 03:54 AM
Uhh... Humphrey...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/

Eirik
2003-Sep-20, 03:56 AM
Uhh... Humphrey...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/

Maybe he meant a *good* movie. 8)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-20, 04:09 AM
Well he wasn't specific... :P

wedgebert
2003-Sep-20, 04:10 AM
Or a movie actually based off the book :)

I would like to see the Honor Harrington series made into movies. And possible a high-quality TV series, even if it has to be on HBO or another premium channel.

Odinoneeye
2003-Sep-20, 04:23 AM
I would like to see Wildseed by Octavia Butler.

One of the main characters is a spirit that jumps from body to body. I think it would be cool to watch different actors and actresses playing the same part through the movie. If they do a good job of course.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 04:38 AM
Canuck: you should know that the movie and the book have nuthing in common except for the name. :-)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-20, 04:42 AM
Ah, but that's not what you said, is it? :wink:

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 04:47 AM
Bah! the greta Huymphrey does not get bogged down i n technicalities.

Why just today he would not get bogged down in the technicality that water does not float in midair, just because he wills it.

Yoshua
2003-Sep-20, 05:21 AM
I almost fear to see what Hollywood will do to my favorite stories. I almost think I'd prefer none get turned into movies rather than see them butchered.

Though if they could keep to the book I think some good ones would be:

Ringworld
The Mote in God's Eye
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

But honestly, I don't trust Hollywood with any of my favorite stories.

wedgebert
2003-Sep-20, 05:50 AM
I would like to see Wildseed by Octavia Butler.

One of the main characters is a spirit that jumps from body to body. I think it would be cool to watch different actors and actresses playing the same part through the movie. If they do a good job of course.

I thought they made that already, wasn't it called Quantum Leap?

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 06:10 AM
i loved quantum leap. i am sad that sci-fi stoped playing the re-runs.

Ripper
2003-Sep-20, 11:06 AM
I would like to see Startide Rising by David Brin. The problem is, look what they did to Postman. It will be a long time before Prof, Brin allows another of his books to be made into a movie, and a long time before anyone tries.

Tzuk_Te
2003-Sep-20, 02:42 PM
Enders game is possibly being made into a movie, so that i9s one.

I would like Starship troopers To be made into a movie. It would definitely make a good one.
Forever war too

Looks like Humphrey's 0-3. (Well, ok, 1-3)

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/screen.html#midseason

Forever War is being made into a mini-series by SciFi. Whether that's good or bad is up to you!

the greta Huymphrey does not get bogged down i n technicalities.

All hail the Greta Humphrey! :D

I had forgotten about Startide Rising, I'd like to see that one as well. But remeber, as long as Costner isn't involved, it will be better than Postman.

I've noticed that most of these books aren't your typicall Hollywood version of what SF is (FX over story). And they certainly forced ST into that mold. I'm with greta, err, Humphrey on that one...

Tzuk Te

sideways
2003-Sep-20, 05:22 PM
I'd like to see The Gatekeepers made into a movie. It would be very relevant with the X-Prize and all since the story involves a privately-built reusable Delta Clipper-like rocket.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-20, 08:57 PM
wow! cool Tzuk_Te!!!! I never knew they were making all of those new shows. Some look really good.

Hopefully sci-fi will not mess up quantum leap when they remake it.

Yoshua
2003-Sep-20, 09:00 PM
I thought when Sci-Fi did their version of Dune they did a fair job at it. I missed Children of Dune though. Like it alot better than the movie that was done (which I actually liked, till I read the book).

informant
2003-Sep-20, 10:40 PM
Philip K. Dickís The Divine Invasion (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679734457/qid=1064097529/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/104-3635372-4928742?v=glance&s=books). Not his best work, but very "filmable".

Or Stanislaw Lemís Fiasco (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156306301/qid=1064097770/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-3635372-4928742?v=glance&s=books). Again, not his best work, but the easiest to translate into the screen. (IMO)

Ripper
2003-Sep-20, 11:28 PM
Filmable is an important concept in this thread. There are a lot of good books that would not make very good movies. CGI has made some of the special effect issues go away. For example, my earlier suggestion of Startide Rising. When I first read it about 20 years ago I remember thinking that it would not be possible to do it as a movie. Anime maybe, but too many of the main characters are neo-dolphins. Today it would be no problem at all with CGI. Other books just do not have a plotline that can be reduced to 90-120 minutes. Others are more about thoughts and ideas and do not have enough action. Some are just not suitable for the general public.

Sever
2003-Sep-21, 02:00 AM
I can't even watch the Jurassic park movies since I read the books. Number 2 sucked :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !

Humphrey
2003-Sep-21, 04:14 AM
the 2nd book or the movie?

For the First Jurassic park i felt that it went along nicely. Most of the changes were for political correctness in my opiniopn. I just really wish they put the river scene in there. Also the fact that they really did think the dinos got off the island. :-(

The second book only had a few scenes in common with the movie. Hopefully the 4th one will be great. Suposedly the movie is ocuring as if number three never happened.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-21, 05:40 AM
Good. What an awful movie that was. It used the leftovers from both books. Awful.

Paul Beardsley
2003-Sep-21, 01:04 PM
I almost fear to see what Hollywood will do to my favorite stories. I almost think I'd prefer none get turned into movies rather than see them butchered.

I think for a thread like this you have to imagine a world where Hollywood consists of a bunch of people who understand the books they're adapting.

In fact, that would make for an interesting fantasy film itself...

Someone mentioned the SciFi miniseries. They are generally impressive a) because the makers clearly do understand what they're doing and b) because the miniseries is the perfect medium for Dune, Children of Dune etc. I'm eager to see Lathe of Heaven.

Films/miniseries that I'm hoping for (besides a proper adaptation of The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds include:

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (includes an alien alien race that convinces)
Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg (could be done with hardly any SFX)
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke (very dated, probably, but lovely)
The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
The Ragged Astronauts by Bob Shaw
Most of the books mentioned by other people on this thread.

Donnie B.
2003-Sep-21, 03:46 PM
No specific book, but it always bugs me that only one of Asimov's stories has been filmed, and (from what I hear) badly at that. I'm referring to Nightfall.

I'd like to see a TV series based on the "I, Robot" stories, or the Dr. Urth SF-mysteries.

Fraser
2003-Sep-21, 05:14 PM
I think the success of comic book movies (Spiderman, X-Men, etc), and fantasy book movies (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter) will show Hollywood that its worthwhile to take the translation process seriously. Big cash rewards whenever they do it right.

Yoshua
2003-Sep-21, 05:22 PM
LoTR isn't exactly a good example of "getting it right". The movies are enjoyable but take some serious liberties with the original story.

But I do hope it shows that the 90 minute rule is unneccessary if you have a movie people want to watch.

Tzuk_Te
2003-Sep-21, 05:46 PM
I'd like to see a TV series based on the "I, Robot" stories, or the Dr. Urth SF-mysteries.

Well, its not a TV mini-series, but they are maknig a movie of "I, Robot" starring Will Smith. I'm not sure how closely it will follow the stories though.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/IRobot-10002270/preview.php

To me, the fantasy/comic book successes is almost a detriment to good SF movies. The recent successful movies are all about action over storytelling, and yes, I lump the LotR movies in with that. Don't get me wrong, I really like them, but they aren't exactly the story Tolkien was telling, and Jackson added a lot more action elements to make it more palatable I suppose. I think that's a big problem with Hollywood and the movie going audience today. An expectation that SF movies must be action oriented. I'm not sure when, or if, that will change.

Tzuk Te

captain swoop
2003-Sep-22, 08:23 AM
LoTR isn't exactly a good example of "getting it right". The movies are enjoyable but take some serious liberties with the original story.

But I do hope it shows that the 90 minute rule is unneccessary if you have a movie people want to watch.

If they hadn't taken 'liberties' then the film would have been terrible.

What works on the page doesn't always work on film.

it's important to capture the spirit and feel of a work rather than give verbatim dialogue and scene for scene.

For instance I can't stand the last crop of TV versions of Dickens, yes they were exact to the book but they were so dull.

Look at David Leans Great Expectations for how it should be done.

daver
2003-Sep-22, 06:33 PM
I think the success of comic book movies (Spiderman, X-Men, etc), and fantasy book movies (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter) will show Hollywood that its worthwhile to take the translation process seriously. Big cash rewards whenever they do it right.

Not too likely. Look at the Batman or Superman movies. Hollywood refuses to learn. And the studios would rather spend the money on stars and effects than writing.

Madcat
2003-Sep-22, 07:30 PM
The Golden Age, by John C. Wright.

Pros:
Excellent, introspective plot.
Many visuals that would be extremely exciting to see on film.

Cons:
Excellent, introspective plot, that will be butchered by fools who cannot understand it.
Many visuals that are described rather verbosely yet cannot be properly displayed in film, as they pertain to senses that people don't have yet.

Oh, and I agree with Humphrey. It would be great to see Starship Troopers made into a move. Somebody already HAS made into into a slanderous raping of someone's work but I wasn't going to dignify it by mentioning the piece of trash.

darkhunter
2003-Sep-23, 06:17 PM
Protector by Larry Niven: Action, drama, suspense, and a love interest and sacrifice...

Unfortunatly Holly wood most likey get the Pak right, and butcher the story, and manage to lose the pathos of Psshtpok devoting his life to saving us, and never finding out the truth....

On a side note, I always thought a sequel would be cool....

irony
2003-Sep-24, 03:39 AM
I have this theory that when Spielberg set out to make a sequel to Jurassic Park, he had three different ideas pitched to him:

(1) A straightforward adaptation of the second book.

(2) A big game hunting party goes to the island to get dinosaur heads for their walls.

(3) A Godzilla tribute, with something big and toothy running around a city and lots of screaming people.

The problem is that he couldn't decide which idea he liked best.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-24, 04:05 AM
Sounds about right. :)

If I were directing/writing/producing/whatever, I would have gone with an adaptaion of the book. Don't see why anyone would have to mess with an already interesting story...

Oh, right. It needs explosions and shiny things... :roll:

Betenoire
2003-Sep-24, 05:21 PM
I, Robot is being done as a movie. With Will Smith. Merging all the stories into one story line.

Most of Philip K. Dick's short stories would be good, or at least those which aren't seated in the 50's and 60's mindset.

The real problem with converting sci-fi novels is that sci-fi is very expansive. A good example is Dune. You can't do that in a two hour movie or six hour mini-series. I prefer the Kyle MacLachlan movie, myself. The "weirding modules" were a huge move away from the novel, yes, but the weirding way of the mini-series was "step to the left really quickly", which was royally stupid. And the movie had a lot better looking tech, worms, and scenes, and better acting. But the whole wheels-within-wheels-within-wheels thing just cannot be transferred to the big screen.

I'm finding Terry Pratchett to be rather cinematic.

ToSeek
2003-Sep-24, 06:25 PM
I, Robot is being done as a movie. With Will Smith. Merging all the stories into one story line.

From descriptions I've heard, the plot sounds more like The Caves of Steel.

The real problem with converting sci-fi novels is that sci-fi is very expansive.

That's true for any book, not just science fiction. (Scarlett O'Hara has two or three more kids than are ever shown in the movie version of Gone with the Wind.) Novelettes or novellas are more suited to movie length. If you want to do a good job on a book, you need to do a miniseries.

I'm finding Terry Pratchett to be rather cinematic.

Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music have been turned into animated movies in Britain.

gethen
2003-Sep-25, 03:16 AM
No specific book, but it always bugs me that only one of Asimov's stories has been filmed, and (from what I hear) badly at that. I'm referring to Nightfall.

Yeah, I saw Nightfall and it was remarkably crummy.
I'd like to see LeGuin's The Dispossessed as a movie, but I'd probably regret what they'd do with it.

synykl
2003-Sep-25, 05:15 AM
Or a movie actually based off the book :)

I would like to see the Honor Harrington series made into movies. And possible a high-quality TV series, even if it has to be on HBO or another premium channel.
I can imagine the sales pitch:
"It's Hornblower. With breasts. In space."
(Dollar-signs light up behind studio execs' eyes.)
"How much do you want?"

Paul Beardsley
2003-Sep-25, 01:15 PM
Most of Philip K. Dick's short stories would be good, or at least those which aren't seated in the 50's and 60's mindset.

Potentially good, yes, but remember Total Recall...

The real problem with converting sci-fi novels is that sci-fi is very expansive. A good example is Dune. You can't do that in a two hour movie or six hour mini-series. I prefer the Kyle MacLachlan movie, myself. The "weirding modules" were a huge move away from the novel, yes, but the weirding way of the mini-series was "step to the left really quickly", which was royally stupid. And the movie had a lot better looking tech, worms, and scenes, and better acting. But the whole wheels-within-wheels-within-wheels thing just cannot be transferred to the big screen.

Each to their own and all that, but I thought the series did a far better job of capturing the spirit of the book. A friend of mine who is a huge fan of Frank Herbert commented that the worm scenes were better than in the film, then added, "Come to that, they're better than the book!"

I can see your point about the weirding way/modules, but the modules struck me as a very tacky departure from the book (as opposed to the sort of departure that you accept because it works better in a film context). I was a lot more tolerant of the "step to the left really quickly" thing (lovely description, BTW!) because films like The Matrix have conditioned me to accept that sort of thing.

Another thing about the series is that it's more standalone. It's nice to have read the book, but it doesn't matter if you haven't. Whereas non-book-readers are inclined to utter the word "Huh?" throughout the film. In the film, for instance, we learn how to recognise mentats (ludicrous eyebrows etc) but we don't have the slightest clue what a mentat does.

ocasey3
2003-Sep-25, 01:52 PM
When Dune was first out at the theatres they passed out a sheet with definitions of various terms and words used in the movie. I loved the movie but I was glad that I had just read the book before the movie came out because I was able to fill in the gaps, as I did with LOTR.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-26, 01:07 AM
Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series would be good. The novels were kind of goofy, and with the way the movies are made today the Stainless Steel Rat would probably work fairly well.

How about Jack Vance's Old Earth series? Or as far as that goes, anything that Vance wrote would be great!

Ilya
2003-Sep-26, 02:15 AM
The way Hollywood butchers SF, I do not want ANY of my favorite books made into movies. Maybe a book I hate, like Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars" series... :)

Last night I saw "Amanda and the Alien" on HBO. Silverberg's original is a kind of a inside-out horror story - an alien who devours people and takes on their likeness is a clueless bumbler in modern-day California, and a very smart and totally amoral 17-year old chick who ends up the real monster. (Last scene, as Amanda listens to the newscaster gushing about "the most dangerous known life form in the universe captured": "Most dangerous, my rear. I know one which is a lot more dangerous".)

Well, the movie turns Amanda into a crusader to save the poor misunderstood alien. They did not have to change the alien much - it is still the same bumbling fool, - but instead of turning it in to the authorities when she tires of the game, Amanda risks her life to get it to its ship, and later defends her position on a talk show. Politically corrected (puke!)

Ilya
2003-Sep-26, 02:21 AM
If Hollywood actually remained true to the story, I'd like to see "Draka" trilogy made into movies. Although it's alternative history rather than SF. The fourth book "Draken" IS science fiction, but there is no point making it into a movie, because it is already one! "Draken" is basically "Predator 2" with alien predator changed into Draka female stranded in modern New York.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-26, 02:38 AM
If Hollywood actually remained true to the story, I'd like to see "Draka" trilogy made into movies. Although it's alternative history rather than SF. The fourth book "Draken" IS science fiction, but there is no point making it into a movie, because it is already one! "Draken" is basically "Predator 2" with alien predator changed into Draka female stranded in modern New York.

I really liked Stirling series! I think you could call it SF. 'Marching Through Georgia' would be excellent.
Picture a whole bunch of American Civil War buffs on opening night. It makes me writhe with anticipation!

Ilya. Have you read Stirling's Island Out of Time Series? How about the Peshawar Lancers? Excellent.

Another good alternate history series named 1632 and 1633 places a w. Virginia coal town in the middle of Germany during the Wars of Religion. Written by Flint and Webber I believe.

Humphrey
2003-Sep-26, 03:09 AM
1632 and its sequil 1633 is by flint. :-)

He does have a strange fascination with that chearleader doesnt he?

Ilya
2003-Sep-26, 03:21 AM
Snowcelt, you and I must have somewhat different tastes.

I tried reading "Peshawar Lancers" and gave up after about 20 pages. The trouble is, I like it too much under original title - "Flashman in the Great Game" :) Never read "Islands in the Sea of Time", but according to reviews it is too much of a socialist propaganda for my taste - which is part of the reason I absolutely hated "1632". The other reason is because, in Flint's own word, "1632 is a sunny book". Way too sunny for me - a town is dropped into 17th century, fer crissake! and everyone takes it in stride!? I'd like it much better if some citizens went insane, into denial, formed some religious cult, etc. Also wouldn't mind if somebody turned traitor - in fact I fully expected one character to do so, he was such a caricature villain, - yet he did nothing of consequence in the entire book. Basically, if people acted like people in the circumstances, I could have forgiven the union/socialist propaganda. But as it was... puke.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-26, 06:58 AM
Ilya. I have read every Flashman. I would have to say that GM Fraser wrote with such wit that anything similar does pale.

I like SF. I find that most is crap. I look for something that can compare to Fraser or Forester.

I love history; but I find that when people write of history it is always the same damn story!

Every one writes about King Arthur. Why not write a story about Queen Boadicea? What about Ibn what ever his name was that swooped into France in the 8th century. It would be neat to see a dynamic between him and Charles the Hammer (Martel). Perhaps it would be interesting to read something about the battle were the Arabs and the Chinese fought in around 750AD?

I read alternate history because at least someone will take a stab at something the mainstream will not.

When you deride 1632, that is fair enough. But it was interesting to see people of the past reacting to something extraordinary.

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-26, 10:19 AM
OK, since I'm joining the topic late...

I would like Starship troopers To be made into a movie.

Yep, this hasn't happened yet. The Verhoeven and Neumeier film was a Big Alien Bugs war movie that they bought the Starship Troopers rights to tag on - the idea of an adaptation only came after the main idea, as a way of minimising the chance of getting accused of ripping off Aliens, really. The irony being that Cameron nicked much of the style of that film from the book in the first place. It may be a completely different film to the book, but I really like it in its own right.

Secondly, No-one but no-one gets their claws on Banks. Not gonna happen, thank you. Apart from anything Consider Phlebas has one of the most down endings I've ever read. If you must do a Culture novel, though, I could just about excuse Excession, just for the comedy of watching screenwriters attempt ship-to-ship conversations.

If you are going to do an SF novel to screen conversion, I'd look to Neal Stephenson. He throws around some pretty complex ideas that would be tough to stick on screen, but Snow Crash also contains the sole example of a car chase working in book form.

Paul Beardsley
2003-Sep-26, 05:05 PM
Secondly, No-one but no-one gets their claws on Banks. Not gonna happen, thank you.

I don't know if you're aware, but there was a miniseries over here in the UK based on The Crow Road. But that's Ian Banks - the non-SF incarnation of Ian M. Banks.

I actually dislike his stuff. To me he comes across as a full-of-himself student who thinks he's being terribly clever and that everyone should be so impressed. But then, perhaps I've never been in the right frame of mind to read his stuff.

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-29, 09:40 AM
I'm well aware of both The Crow Road, and the film version of Complicity. Its half the reason why I'm so glad no-one has attempted film versions of any of his M-stuff. Although Brian Cox and Johnny Lee Miller were pretty reasonable in Complicity, you can't really do the story justice without getting banned by the BBFC...

Betenoire
2003-Sep-29, 03:45 PM
Anybody think Sandman could be done?

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-29, 03:54 PM
Maybe, but not really. Sandman relies in no small part on its reference to comic conventions and reworking of them. Take that away, and you're still left with a bunch of cracking yarns well told, however, using the Sandman character to hang it all on; its basically a fantasy anthology series. To be honest, though, I'd much rather that someone just say "Hey Mr. Gaiman, you can write a decent comic script, here - have a go at an original screenplay in a similiar style". Mind you, I was one of about five people who just adore Neverwhere, so maybe I'm biased.

Mind you, talking about the use of comic conventions, its not as daft as the idea of doing a film (or anything else) of Watchmen. The whole backbone of the thing is the nature of the superhero comic book.

Musashi
2003-Sep-29, 04:18 PM
Gaiman is a spin off of Sandman, Death: The High Cost of Living.

Guess we'll see how that turns out.

Betenoire
2003-Sep-29, 04:18 PM
They're doing a film of Watchmen? I liked that comic, it might be an interesting movie, but you're right about a lot of its character being self-commentary.

Iain Lambert
2003-Sep-29, 04:38 PM
They're doing a film of Watchmen?

Well, yes/no/maybe.

Its one of those off-again/on-again things that has been bouncing around for a good decade or so. Every now and again Warners (I think its them with the rights) get another screenwriter to have a bash at a draft, or another director gets talked into trying a treatment. Never seems to go anywhere because it just doesn't fit into a film format, and would cost far too much to be practical.

daver
2003-Sep-29, 05:38 PM
They're doing a film of Watchmen?

Well, yes/no/maybe.

Its one of those off-again/on-again things that has been bouncing around for a good decade or so. Every now and again Warners (I think its them with the rights) get another screenwriter to have a bash at a draft, or another director gets talked into trying a treatment. Never seems to go anywhere because it just doesn't fit into a film format, and would cost far too much to be practical.

I remember lurking on rec.arts.comics when Watchmen was running; watching the speculation and the analysis and the whodunit tension was very interesting. At first glance, the way to recapture that would be with a miniseries, but everyone who's interested would already know how it would come out.

Rich
2003-Sep-30, 04:28 AM
I would like to see Startide Rising by David Brin. The problem is, look what they did to Postman. It will be a long time before Prof, Brin allows another of his books to be made into a movie, and a long time before anyone tries.

Hey Ripper, Brin does have some negotiations to possibly make a few of his books into movies, (www.davidbrin.com/movies.html) among them Earth, Glory Season, and Uplift War. Personally, I'd really love to see Earth and especially Uplift War but don't know how they would fill in the back story of the latter adequately in just one movie. I always thought it would be better as a T.V. miniseries. His latest, Kiln People, would be a great miniseries too.

Rich
2003-Sep-30, 04:36 AM
Now that I mention miniseries one of the only book adaptations I ever thought was, not just good or adequate, but "great!!!" was the TNT version of Treasure Island. Talk about doing it right. Charleton Heston made a great Silver and they stayed very true to the story... it just took six hours or so to do it justice.

Not exactly sci-fi, but still great and why I think miniseries are the best hope for making any loved book into a good "movie."

AKONI
2003-Sep-30, 07:28 AM
I'd love to see the GAEAN TRILOGY by John Varley which consists of

Titan
Wizard
Demon

Or

ON by Adam Roberts

Though his book, SALT, would in some aspects, reflect the reality of today.

mike alexander
2003-Sep-30, 10:58 PM
Andromeda Gun

An Alien comes to earth in the Wild West. Light but fun.

Tessera
2003-Oct-01, 05:32 PM
It is really hard to get all that is in a book onto the screen, unless you're willing to go the movie marathon route.

I'd like to see some of Elizabeth Moon's books like the Once a Hero series made into a movie. There are some great action sequences in it, as well as good character depth.

The new book by Thomas Harlan, The Wastelands of Flint, is an alternate history and the images of the Aztec/Japanese warlord society are fascinating. Would make great costuming in a movie.

I heard that the His Dark Materials series has been contracted for a movie, although that is fantasy not science fiction. It is incredibly complex and does a number on Christianity, particularly the Catholic Church.

Humphrey
2003-Oct-01, 11:17 PM
The new book by Thomas Harlan, The Wastelands of Flint, is an alternate history and the images of the Aztec/Japanese warlord society are fascinating. Would make great costuming in a movie.

Sounds really interesting. What is it about?

gethen
2003-Oct-02, 12:02 AM
.... His latest, Kiln People, would be a great miniseries too.
I'm in the middle of this book right now and I agree that it would be a good target for a miniseries. And they could keep the budget low because of the verryyy limited number of actors needed. :wink:

Rich
2003-Oct-02, 02:08 AM
.... His latest, Kiln People, would be a great miniseries too.
I'm in the middle of this book right now and I agree that it would be a good target for a miniseries. And they could keep the budget low because of the verryyy limited number of actors needed. :wink:

Ya' know, I hadn't even thought about that... but good point.

ysandre
2003-Oct-02, 03:33 PM
Yes, but think of all the makeup needed to make those actors look like dittos...

I'm in the middle of the book. I just finished reading the scene where Albert and Ritu almost...when they are both pretending to dittos. :lol:

Tessera
2003-Oct-02, 08:18 PM

In an alternate future (or maybe not... who knows) the earth, called Anahuac, is rulled by the Empire of the Mexica. Aztec and Nisei citizens hold the highest places in society and control a space fleet. A xeno-archeologist, Gretchen Anderssen, is sent by the Empire to investigate what happened to a missing survey team on a planet that has artifacts from an earlier space faring civilization. Instead of going with just people from her Company as she usually did, an imperial warship with a Japanese commander and an Aztec sorcerer/Judge, Green Hummingbird, come along to keep an eye on things.

The interweaving of cultures is fascinating.

Humphrey
2003-Oct-02, 11:35 PM

In an alternate future (or maybe not... who knows) the earth, called Anahuac, is rulled by the Empire of the Mexica. Aztec and Nisei citizens hold the highest places in society and control a space fleet. A xeno-archeologist, Gretchen Anderssen, is sent by the Empire to investigate what happened to a missing survey team on a planet that has artifacts from an earlier space faring civilization. Instead of going with just people from her Company as she usually did, an imperial warship with a Japanese commander and an Aztec sorcerer/Judge, Green Hummingbird, come along to keep an eye on things.

The interweaving of cultures is fascinating.

Interesting. So i assumed that the Aztecs and Inca were never destroyed?

Tessera
2003-Oct-03, 02:58 PM
Interesting. So i assumed that the Aztecs and Inca were never destroyed?

I don't know about the Incas, but the Aztecs were not destroyed and pretty much took over the world, with help from the Japanese.

Phreaky
2003-Nov-05, 08:34 PM
I, Robot is being done, with Will Smith as the lead detective. Bicentennial Man was based on an Asimov story also, I believe. Foundation is being talked about, but I'm not sure of the status of that one. I'd love to see more Clarke adaptations. City and the Stars would be great, as would A Fall of Moondust. Not sure I'd want to see The Light From Another Day done though. I don't see how they'd get all the nudity on the screen without an R rating.

This post was made as I was reading the end of the first page, my apologies to those who've already posted on I, Robot.

stelmosfire
2003-Nov-05, 09:17 PM
Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement
Slan by A. E. van Vogt
Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague de Camp
Shockwave Rider by John Brunner
Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov
Starfarers by Poul Anderson
The Pride of Chanur by C. J. Cherryh
Lifeburst by Jack Williamson
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Chris CII
2003-Nov-06, 01:22 PM

www.IMDB.com
search Isaac Asimov yields :

I, Robot (2004) (post-production) (book)
Nightfall (2000) (V) (story)
Bicentennial Man (1999) (novel The Positronic Man) (short story The Bicentennial Man)
Android Affair, The (1995) (TV) (story)
Teach 109 (1990) (TV) (story)
Feeling 109 (1988) (story)
Nightfall (1988) (story)
Robots (1988) (V) (novels I, Robot et al)
"Probe" (1988) TV Series (creator)
Gandahar (1988) (adaptation) (English version)
... aka Light Years (1988) (USA)
Konets vechnosti (1987) (novel The End of Eternity)
Ugly Little Boy, The (1979) (TV) (story)
Naked Sun, The (1969) (TV) (novel)
... aka Out of the Unknown: The Naked Sun (1969) (TV) (UK: series title)
Liar! (1969) (TV) (story)
... aka Out of the Unknown: Liar! (1969) (TV) (UK: series title)
Prophet, The (1967) (TV) (story Reason)
... aka Out of the Unknown: The Prophet (1967) (TV) (UK: series title)
Robot embustero, El (1966) (novel)
Satisfaction Guaranteed (1966) (TV) (story)
... aka Out of the Unknown: Satisfaction Guaranteed (1966) (TV) (UK: series title)
Sucker Bait (1965) (TV) (story)
... aka Out of the Unknown: Sucker Bait (1965) (TV) (UK: series title)
Dead Past, The (1965) (TV) (story)
... aka Out of the Unknown: The Dead Past (1965) (TV) (UK: series title)
Caves of Steel, The (1964) (TV) (novel)
... aka Story Parade: The Caves of Steel (1964) (TV) (UK: series title)

So M. Asimov is quite often adapted, however mostly for TV

informant
2003-Nov-06, 05:52 PM
Here are two short stories by Asimov that I think could make for good films: Liar, and Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Matt Butts
2003-Nov-20, 09:33 PM
The science fiction book I would most like to see made into a movie is Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. It's basically a futuristic re-working of The Count of Monte Christo where the sole survivor of a shipwreck is spotted by a passing ship which just keeps passing, leaving him behind, so he vows to find that ship and every person on it and make them pay. It's a very complicated story of a bizarre future where people have learned to teleport with their minds and the entire solar system is on the verge of all-out war between the planets we've colonized. It is widely considered by many to be one of the greatest science fiction books ever written, and only now, through CGI, could it really be brought to the screen with justice.

ToSeek
2003-Nov-20, 09:40 PM
Here are two short stories by Asimov that I think could make for good films: Liar, and Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Harlan Ellison wrote a brilliant screenplay based on I,Robot. I don't remember if it included "Satisfaction Guaranteed," but I'm pretty sure it incorporated "Liar."

Neville Rhys Barnes
2003-Nov-28, 12:06 AM
Someone got started on Lord of Light, but then the project was dropped.

If I was to make Starship Troopers I'd shoot it in black and white as a fifties war movie--because that's how I see the book. (Yeah, that would be fun to pitch to some movie executive...)

Hutch
2004-Jan-23, 11:19 PM
Well, been wanting to post on this topic since I started browsing this boar, so I'l make my comments and bring it back up near the top.

The Mote in God's Eye and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress have been mentioned before and would make great Good Astronomy pictures if done right. Ditto on Rendevous with Rama, but hopefully that is going to get made and we'll see for ourselves.

For some others:

Glory Road by R.A. Heinlein--capitalize on the LOTR Sword and Sorcery boom with a Sci/Fi twist.

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison--If someone would invent a time machine and bring back James Coburn about the time he was making the In Like Flint movies......

Any Dominic Flandry or Nick Van Rijn story by Poul Anderson--what can I say, I'm a fan and I'd love to see how Hollywood CGI would protray Adzel.... :o .

Sparks
2004-Jan-24, 01:59 AM
The Mote in God's Eye and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress have been mentioned before and would make great Good Astronomy pictures if done
Never going to happen. Not because it couldn't be done - it certainly could, hell most of Pournelle's stuff reads like a screenplay already - but because Mote is too dark at the end and you'd never sell it - I mean, the "heros" effectively condemn an entire civilisation to an anarchaic bloody fall where 90% of more of the population die a violent or otherwise unpleasant death, and it's still the right thing to do. The test audiences gave Bladerunner a thumbs-down even though Decker gets a happy ending, and had the film recut to give it that *£$"%"£ voiceover and the Disney ending. Mote would have them screaming for the film to be burnt...

As to The Moon is a harsh Mistress, firstoff no £"$"$£^*&$%^ hollywood director gets his mitts on that book, it's one of my favorites. Secondly, after 9/11 can you see any US director getting to make a film where the heros are convicted criminals and their descendants living in an anarcho-communist state, who set up a terrorist network and rebel against earth, and use weapons of mass destruction to do so?
:D

There have been a few decent book-film conversions. 2001 is the obvious one, though I'm not sure it counts so much as a conversion. Still the best depiction of spaceflight ever though. Inconstant Moon, my all-time favorite short story, was made into a pretty decent adaptation for an Outer Limits episode. (Even if they felt they had to add some excitement by injuring the hero, which was really silly for a story which is driven by the contrast between the impending disaster and the innocous nature of the only warning given). And of course, there's Contact - the only film in my life that I watched in the cinema twice in one week.

The common element seems to be pace - good sci-fi adaptations are heavy. They have a lot of inertia and so they take a while to get moving (and in fact never seem to be moving all that fast) - but they're also almost unstoppable. 2001 is very slow, but it's dealing with aliens that have a quality no other film has ever matched - they're alien :) And wildly superior to us in development and technology. Contact takes ages to build up and then *wallop* hits you in the last 40 minutes with the Machines. Inconstant Moon is slow to the last five minutes, but you never lose the sense that though it's moving slowly, the characters can't escape and the end is completely certain.

So if you're going to pick something for a good conversion, you need to pick a story like that. Ringworld maybe. Or Forever War, though I can't quite see hollywood portraying humanity as evolving into an all-homosexual species :D

Tzuk_Te
2004-Jan-24, 04:20 AM
As to The Moon is a harsh Mistress, firstoff no £"$"$£^*&$%^ hollywood director gets his mitts on that book, it's one of my favorites.

Sorry Sparks, The Moon is a harsh Mistress is being adapted for film.
See: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-01/20/13.00.film

Tzuk Te

Sparks
2004-Jan-24, 10:54 AM
As to The Moon is a harsh Mistress, firstoff no £"$"$£^*&$%^ hollywood director gets his mitts on that book, it's one of my favorites.
Sorry Sparks, The Moon is a harsh Mistress is being adapted for film.

I'm getting my gun and going to Hollywood :D #-o

*reads link*

Sod that, I'm getting a bigger gun, just to be sure. That screenplay's going to have as much to do with the book as Starship Troopers had to do with the book. :x

Hutch
2004-Jan-24, 11:43 PM
Sparks, just was speculating, that's all, although I appreciate the feedback (well, most of it) 8-[ One of the reasons I included Glory Road and the Stainless Steel Rat, as they include the necessary action and sex that movies seem to require these days.

And I'll back you up on The Moon....The only reason I hope for life after death is that Robert Anson Heinlein can come back from the dead and shove the tape of Starship Troopers up Paul Verhovens'.....uh, cavity.
8-[

Still, it would be nice to see then done well....I guess I'll just have to wait until I hit the lottery....

Maksutov
2004-Jan-31, 09:09 AM
I'd like to see a decent film of "City" by Clifford D. Simak. It covers the fate of the human race, and which species winds up with dominion over the Earth, as well as scenes on Jupiter. Plus a continuing character throughout that happens to be a robot.

It was the first sci-fi novel I read, way back when. It continues to impress. Some of it would have to be updated, but there's a lot of good material in there. CGI would take care of the dogs, cobblies, ants, and lopers.

Humphrey
2004-Jan-31, 09:11 AM
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel is being tunred into a movie.

link (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-01/30/10.00.film)

ocasey3
2004-Jan-31, 09:42 AM
Have Spacesuit, Will Travel is being tunred into a movie.

link (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-01/30/10.00.film)

Humphrey, sir, thank you very much for that link. Now, if they don't Starship Trooperize the movie, it could be great. I just love the book and I think it just may be time for yet another read.

majic
2004-Jan-31, 10:05 AM
This is an interesting topic...I've been playing with the thought for a long time "why dont the make a movie out of this book" ...and the thought creeped in after thinking of my #no1 favorite book - Next of Kin, by Erik Frank Russel.

The book is VERY filmeable...it has about 15% space scenes (at the MOST) which are easy to make, nothing complicated (bit starwars/startrek like cgi is all we need) . This book really has so much fine intricacies that are perfectly filmeable since they are mostly on ground level.... and its full of witty sarcasm, humor and bad luck :)

For who did not read it - the end is hilarious and the way the main character gets things done is simply put beyond genious - and not all that sci-fi ..he's more a futuristic bruce willis but without the weapons and more brains :)

majic
2004-Jan-31, 10:15 AM
This is an interesting topic...I've been playing with the thought for a long time "why dont the make a movie out of this book" ...and the thought creeped in after thinking of my #no1 favorite book - Next of Kin, by Eric Frank Russell.

The book is VERY filmeable...it has about 15% space scenes (at the MOST) which are easy to make, nothing complicated (bit starwars/startrek like cgi is all we need) . This book really has so much fine intricacies that are perfectly filmeable since they are mostly on ground level.... and its full of witty sarcasm, humor and bad luck :)

For who did not read it - the end is hilarious and the way the main character gets things done is simply put beyond genious - and not all that sci-fi ..he's more a futuristic bruce willis but without the weapons and more brains :)

Bob The Confused
2004-Jan-31, 10:28 AM
First, I'm new to the board, so hello to everyone.

Second, someone mentioned Philip K. Dick, and I thought I'd mention the movie Impostor. I never read the book, and I wasn't overly impressed with the movie. Did have a real cool ending, in my opinion. Funny thing, if anyone's ever watched it, did you notice all the recycled Starship Troopers junk? Like the uniforms / body armor for the military units and the video clip that was ripped straight from the wreckage of Buenos Aires?

I'd just like to mention that for what I'd like to see made into a mini-series / movies would be the World War series by Harry Turtledove. I think it's a good alternate history about aliens invading during World War II. Could be cool. Turtledove does an excellent job of integrating historical and fictional people together.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Jan-31, 04:03 PM
I'd just like to mention that for what I'd like to see made into a mini-series / movies would be the World War series by Harry Turtledove. I think it's a good alternate history about aliens invading during World War II. Could be cool. Turtledove does an excellent job of integrating historical and fictional people together.

Someone has been reading my Mind!

If only he would finish the Series, by writing Homeward Bound, huh?

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to The Board!

Humphrey
2004-Jan-31, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the board Bob The Confused!!! :-)

I also can't wait for the next turtledove colonization book. I can't wait to see the faces on the lizards when a couple hundred human spaceships bombard their planet from space with nukes. :-)

A movie would be intetresting. But if it were me i would only like to see the world war part of the book. The colonization while good (i love the American space scenes) would not make great movie material.

The rush to make the bomb and the intense battles would be amazing for a mini series.
------------------------

One set of books that have been rumoured to of been in dealings with scriptwriters is Forschen's Lost regiment series. A very good read.

Bob The Confused
2004-Feb-02, 08:02 AM
Sorry about that mind reading thing, gotta remember to switch it off. :D

You know, I never did read the Colonization series. I bought the first two books, but I didn't read them for some reason. I started the first book and just couldn't get into it. I got about a third of the way into the book and it just wasn't doing it for me. Too much stuff on torturing the Lizards with the ginger bombs. That was a few years ago, maybe I need to give it another try.

Thargoid
2004-Feb-02, 05:29 PM
After reading the Honor Harrington series, I never was able to enjoy Star Trek the same way. Where are the enlisted personel? How come no one wears space suits when the Klingons come and try to poke holes in the ship? Why is the bridge in such an exposed position? Why does the Enterprise only have 2 torpedo tubes?

And so forth and so on. :D

Besides which DW actually tried to get the physics right, even though he had to invent a sort of "hyperspace" to make his world work.

ToSeek
2004-Feb-02, 05:45 PM
As I understand it, David Weber came from the military gaming world originally, so he's from a culture that tries to get the details right.

(On the other hand, I went to hear a talk by him at a science fiction convention a while back, and instead of talking about Honor or the other characters he spent the whole hour talking about the design of his imaginary ships. Very boring.)