PDA

View Full Version : The Death of apollohoax.com

johnwitts
2002-Mar-15, 09:56 PM
It is with sad regret that I must inform you all of the passing of one of the great institutions involved in the Apollo Hoax debate. apollohoax.com has had major surgery, and is not expected to survive past the weekend. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have participated in that forum, but it is no more. Gone are the glory days of it's younger self, where drama played out night after night, day after day. Like a cruel blow from an unknown assailant, it has been cut down in it's prime. We shall mourn it's passing, and remember the goodtimes with fondness.

John

Jigsaw
2002-Mar-16, 01:51 AM
What happened? Don't expect us to just drive past the car wreck without asking. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ian R
2002-Mar-16, 02:29 AM
Apparently, the webmaster who runs the ApolloHoax forum was threatened by one of the guys who was hounding Jay last week. In response to the threat, he decided to delete a large number of past threads for no apparent reason.

An awful lot of work concerning this subject has been lost. Unfortunately, if it's happened once it can happen again - that's why a lot of us are going to stick around here, I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian R on 2002-03-15 21:32 ]</font>

Jigsaw
2002-Mar-17, 02:09 AM
Gee, the site looks alive and well to me. And it's playing "New York, New York" at me even as we speak. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Deleting a bunch of threads doesn't look to me like it's slowed down the discussion much. No matter how many killer arguments you may have stashed away in Thread Archives somewhere, there are still gonna be new people coming on board who (a) believe it's a hoax and (b) wanna talk about it and (c) won't wanna "use Search and see where we already discussed this."

Most hobbyist boards are like that--you have a FAQ for the basics, and then you answer the same "other" questions over, and over, and over again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-03-16 21:10 ]</font>

informant
2002-Mar-18, 02:14 PM
Seems like a nice place...

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 05:24 PM
Aw, no Frank Sinatra, i think john was right, it must have died a slow slow death, not much there these days.

Musashi
2005-Oct-21, 05:29 PM
Is there some reason you are digging up such old threads?

In any case, ApolloHoax is alive and well.

http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 05:32 PM
I"m just interested in the history of these boards, and how they've evolved. I've only recently come across them and I find it interesting to see how discussion has evolved over the past few years. I have to add of course that there is a tremendous amount of intelligent and useful information here provided by forum posters and I'm only really trying to gain an insight into that by looking throughout the boards.

True Enough, it is still there, just in a different location to where it was previously.

My apologies.

Sticks
2005-Oct-21, 05:43 PM
Apparently, the webmaster who runs the ApolloHoax forum was threatened by one of the guys who was hounding Jay last week. In response to the threat, he decided to delete a large number of past threads for no apparent reason.

So historicaly what happened about these threats?

What was the nature of them

How did they attack Jay?

Were the police ever involved

(Where is Jay nowadays? :sad: )

Sticks
2005-Oct-21, 05:45 PM
(Where is Jay nowadays? :sad: )

It seems on the New Apollo Hoax

Do not see much of Jay here though :confused:

Fram
2005-Oct-21, 06:53 PM
It seems on the New Apollo Hoax

Do not see much of Jay here though :confused:

JayUtah? He posts regularly still, I see him posting almost every day I think. Actually, after a search, he has posted in five threads the past week, so he is clearly around often.

Laser Jock
2005-Oct-21, 06:57 PM
JayUtah? He posts regularly still, I see him posting almost every day I think. Actually, after a search, he has posted in five threads the past week, so he is clearly around often.

Indeed. This post (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=583663#post583663) is less than an hour old.

JayUtah
2005-Oct-21, 07:41 PM
The reports of my departure have been greatly exaggerated.

The outcome of the threats was handled privately. The webmaster of Apollohoax at the time was a rather excitable teenager who angered a poster enough to escalate to threats of legal action. The issue at stake was a review I had written of Bart Sibrel's movie, which at the time I had not yet seen in its entirety. Some other Apollohoax posters at the time felt that was unfair and deceptive. After hearing their arguments, I agreed and removed the review. However, this did not squelch the criticism.