PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Global warming won't happen afterall?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jun-06, 02:15 PM
With the ever increasing cost of oil and the publics finally (by necessity) starting to consider alternatives...maybe global warming (or if you will climate change) will be slowed or won't happen afterall. What do you all think?

Delvo
2008-Jun-06, 02:21 PM
The observable warming effect lags behind the carbon dioxide that causes it, and the carbon dioxide we've already released is still there. If we stopped all carbon dioxide production tomorrow, it's predicted that just the stuff that's already out there will increase the temperature for a few decades before temperature levels off.

Swift
2008-Jun-06, 02:35 PM
The most recent IPCC report says that we are past the point of no climate change, that all we can do is decrease the amount of change, and that is only if we act aggressively. The increase in energy costs will help, by decreasing fossil fuel use, and by making alternatives more economically attractive, but it won't come close to stopping global warming.

MAPNUT
2008-Jun-06, 02:46 PM
The reason prices are going up is that consumption is increasing.

KaiYeves
2008-Jun-06, 03:19 PM
If we stop tomorrow, it might still take a hundred years to level off, but better a hundred than never. Let's start tomorrow!

After all, if Global Warming doesn't stop... all the chocolate will melt!

tommac
2008-Jun-06, 03:23 PM
Doom is immanent! Basically there are a series of reactions that have already been triggered.

As the earth cools and ice melts methane is released. Which is a much more harmful greenhouse gas than CO2

korjik
2008-Jun-06, 04:45 PM
The climate is going to change wether we do anything or not.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-06, 04:59 PM
The climate is going to change wether we do anything or not.

Agreed. Just as it has done thousands of times in the past, both hotter and cooler than it is today, and quite without our help or hindrance.

Weather, like nature herself, is not stable. It fluctuates. All this effort to "save our planet!" reminds me of the ecological disaster that occurred when we tried to "manage" Yellowstone and keep it from changing.

People forget that we're not "in" nature. We are a part of nature. Let's minimize our impact, to be sure, but let's not go overboard...

I knew a guy who was so overboard that he baggied his human waste on an overnight camping trip. By the fire, we had the following conversation:

Me: "Is a bear an animal?"

B: "Yes"

Me: "Are you an animal?"

Me: "Does a bear crap in the woods?"

B: "Yes."

Me: "Then why don't you?"

Naturally, for the next 15 minutes I got an earful of man's impact on the environment, basically a "pack it in, pack it out" pep talk. Then I freaked him out by tossing my empty Macaroni and Cheese paper box into the fire.

I'm surprised he didn't freak out that we had deprived mother nature's cycle of decay and gentle fertilization by having a fire in the first place...

korjik
2008-Jun-06, 05:27 PM
Agreed. Just as it has done thousands of times in the past, both hotter and cooler than it is today, and quite without our help or hindrance.

Weather, like nature herself, is not stable. It fluctuates. All this effort to "save our planet!" reminds me of the ecological disaster that occurred when we tried to "manage" Yellowstone and keep it from changing.

People forget that we're not "in" nature. We are a part of nature. Let's minimize our impact, to be sure, but let's not go overboard...

I knew a guy who was so overboard that he baggied his human waste on an overnight camping trip. By the fire, we had the following conversation:

Me: "Is a bear an animal?"

Me: "Are you an animal?"

Me: "Does a bear crap in the woods?"

B: "Yes."

Me: "Then why don't you?"

Naturally, for the next 15 minutes I got an earful of man's impact on the environment, basically a "pack it in, pack it out" pep talk. Then I freaked him out by tossing my empty Macaroni and Cheese paper box into the fire.

I'm surprised he didn't freak out that we had deprived mother nature's cycle of decay and gentle fertilization by having a fire in the first place...

For those who want to point it out: Swap weather for climate and all mugs said is still true.

Gruesome
2008-Jun-06, 05:35 PM
I consider "Global Warming" and/or "Climate Change" to be a mix of argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad nauseam.

Swift
2008-Jun-06, 05:36 PM
I consider "Global Warming" and/or "Climate Change" to be a mix of argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad nauseam.
I consider Climate Change and/or Global Warming to be the most serious environmental problem facing this planet. But I agree with the ad nauseam, as far as debating it here.

KaiYeves
2008-Jun-07, 01:03 PM
I consider Climate Change and/or Global Warming to be the most serious environmental problem facing this planet.
Finally, somebody agrees with me! After all, won't somebody think of the chocolate?

korjik
2008-Jun-08, 09:41 PM
Finally, somebody agrees with me! After all, won't somebody think of the chocolate?

Army solved high temp chocolate in 1990

mugaliens
2008-Jun-08, 09:54 PM
For those who want to point it out: Swap weather for climate and all mugs said is still true.

It's nice to know there's someone else out there that sees the bigger non-taxpayer-sucking dollar picture...

:lol:

mugaliens
2008-Jun-08, 09:55 PM

Sounds like your boxers are having a disagreement with your briefs...

:lol: