PDA

View Full Version : Levitation-is this guy real??

Paul Leeks
2008-Jun-10, 12:10 AM
check this one out: goto Google,type in,

www.naruse-yoga.com/levitation.html

Do ya think he is genuine? I think he is.

Levitation is a real phenomenon,it is mentioned in the Yoga Sutra's (Patanjali) as a Sidda power.

I goto the yoga centre and have spoken to people from India and say levitation is real that have seen it for themselves.

extraordinary..!!

Paul

BigDon
2008-Jun-10, 12:12 AM
Doug Henning would agree!

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-10, 12:18 AM
1. Why use google when we know the address?

(or did a mod edit that post to put in the link?)

2. No, levitation is not "real", though that person might indeed be real.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jun-10, 12:37 AM
PZKPFW

what makes you say Levitation is not real? Levitation is well documented throughout history

good book: Autobiography of a yogi(Paramhansa Yogananda)

besides whan was the last time you felt elated...and felt light...??

sorry levitation is real...fact!

Nowhere Man
2008-Jun-10, 12:40 AM
When was the last time someone levitated for James Randi and got the million dollars? They needn't keep the money, they can donate it to charity.

Fred

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-10, 12:41 AM
what makes you say Levitation is not real?

Please refer to BD's post.

(That would be a valid use of google.)

P.S.

Who needs Randi: arrange a demonstration of levitation and I'll give you NZD$1,000 myself.

My only requirement is that I have unobstructed view of the subject, from no more than 1 metre away.

(None of that TM cross-legged "hopping", though.)

Delvo
2008-Jun-10, 12:54 AM
I recognized the strip of pictures on that website that are labeled as 8 pictures of a levitating person. They're frames of a video that actually shows him "hopping" with his legs crossed. (It wasn't originally recorded just to be cut up for lies about levitation; it was originally presented to demonstrate the hopping as an example of intense physical activities that are parts of some religious practices.)

Van Rijn
2008-Jun-10, 01:05 AM
I recognized the strip of pictures on that website that are labeled as 8 pictures of a levitating person. They're frames of a video that actually shows him "hopping" with his legs crossed.

Some time ago I remember a big deal being made about "levitation" based on stills, and then after that seeing a video of the guy bouncing up and down. It was hilarious!

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-10, 01:10 AM
Yep - that's where I was coming from; once read about a TM weekend retreat where people paid $$$ to sit around "bouncing" (sitting cross-legged and wagging their legs) - and being told they were learning to levitate. ("Yogic Flying".)

There was another instance, of a trampoline being used to fake photos - you could see in the guys hair what the real movements were.

BigDon
2008-Jun-10, 01:11 AM
Aww, I didn't know Mr. Henning had passed away!

I met him at the Orpheum Theatre in the mid-70's! He wore long hair and dressed flamboyantly so he could use his wife as a body double for the more amazing misdirections. He had a light build and they were the same height. I saw his show several times.

Van Rijn
2008-Jun-10, 01:19 AM
Please refer to BD's post.

(That would be a valid use of google.)

P.S.

Who needs Randi: arrange a demonstration of levitation and I'll give you NZD$1,000 myself.

My only requirement is that I have unobstructed view of the subject, from no more than 1 metre away.

(None of that TM cross-legged "hopping", though.)

If I were offering a prize, I'd write in a strict definition of "levitation," something like: Floating in the air (not freefall) for a minimum of 10 seconds, without any assistance, supports or devices. For instance, the person cannot be using wires, a jetpack, or balloon, cannot be held by another person, be supported by an air column, cannot be thrown into the air by a device, and so on.

There would also have to be careful agreement on site preparation and location. I wouldn't want to give them a chance to set things up ahead of time. And, I'd want to consult someone that knew more about trickery and illusion than I do.

Jens
2008-Jun-10, 02:35 AM
sorry levitation is real...fact!

Sometime in the relatively near future we will find out. Matsumoto Chizuo, aka Asahara Shoko, the head of the Aum cult in Japan, is on trial and will be given the death penalty at some point. In Japan execution is by hanging. And he is a person who is said to be able to levitate. So if it really is possible, he won't have a problem.

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-10, 07:20 AM
That would be quite interesting to see Jens, he should just float.

BigDon
2008-Jun-10, 07:50 AM
I'm sure you could find volunteers to pull on his legs. Just wear a slicker.

jokergirl
2008-Jun-10, 08:18 AM
I've talked to people who claim they have witnessed levitation; myself I haven't seen a video yet that James Randi couldn't reproduce with his magician experience.

;)

Maksutov
2008-Jun-10, 08:26 AM
check this one out: goto Google,type in,

www.naruse-yoga.com/levitation.html (http://www.naruse-yoga.com/levitation.html)

Do ya think he is genuine? I think he is.

Levitation is a real phenomenon,it is mentioned in the Yoga Sutra's (Patanjali) as a Sidda power.

I goto the yoga centre and have spoken to people from India and say levitation is real that have seen it for themselves.

extraordinary..!!

PaulI have an idea for a short list.

PL, which bits of pseudoscience don't you believe in?

Tedward
2008-Jun-10, 09:09 AM
Not the yogic flyers again?

closetgeek
2008-Jun-10, 02:24 PM
Why do people that claim to have supernatural abilities always look eccentric?

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-10, 02:40 PM
Importantly, why do people with superpowers do not use the said powers to alleviate human suffering.
The fuel cost is a nightmare at the moment, imagine then "floating" just on the power of thought to work.

BigDon
2008-Jun-10, 02:40 PM
I have an idea for a short list.

PL, which bits of pseudoscience don't you believe in?

Hey Mak, a bit snippy, don't you think? I don't disagree, but you make it sound mean.

closetgeek
2008-Jun-10, 02:59 PM
Importantly, why do people with superpowers do not use the said powers to alleviate human suffering.
The fuel cost is a nightmare at the moment, imagine then "floating" just on the power of thought to work.

Didnt Jarell tell them it is forbidden to interfere?

mike alexander
2008-Jun-10, 07:36 PM
Yogis have made important contributions to mathematics via levitation. As teachers they would hover about the classroom, leaning down and indicating with an extended finger where the student had made a mistake.

This 'floating point notation' is now used in computers worldwide.

Damburger
2008-Jun-10, 08:04 PM
I think Mitchell and Webb can answer this question best:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY

captain swoop
2008-Jun-10, 08:55 PM
When you have all watched that clip watch some of the others. Green Clarinet or Heroin Addict Christmas. Or even any of the Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QACSo5xk3dE&feature=related)

Well... anything I suppose, it's all good.

And we haven't even mentioned their Sitcom 'Peep Show'

Damburger
2008-Jun-10, 08:57 PM
My personal favourite is the one with the two SS soldiers suddenly realising they are the bad guys

DyerWolf
2008-Jun-10, 09:00 PM
Magnetic Levitation is already a fact

Link1 (http://www.hfml.ru.nl/froglev.html)
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E)
Linq 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation)

But mystical yogis floating about without magnetic aid? Nah.

CJSF
2008-Jun-10, 09:02 PM
If levitation is a "fact", where is the verifiable, documented proof of it? Where are the videos, films and photographs? Where are the open and honest public demonstrations?

CJSF

Damburger
2008-Jun-10, 09:26 PM
I don't think he was saying yogic levitation is a fact, I think he is talking about levitation in superconductors, something I myself have witness first hand. It ain't magic.

captain swoop
2008-Jun-10, 09:33 PM
My personal favourite is the one with the two SS soldiers suddenly realising they are the bad guys

I like the 2 guys complaining about when Shaggy and his dog came to Dinner. How he must have spent years trying to teach it to talk and they still can't understand it and their greeedy eating habits.

trinitree88
2008-Jun-10, 09:52 PM
See, it was the magic carpet that was the fake...it actually was attached to the seat of the yogi by velcro strips....and he soared through the countryside with passengers on board.:shifty::naughty::cool:

Perhaps Sir Edmund Hillary didn't climb Everest after all...he levitated his way to the top, and I'd have to say shares of stock in elevator companies are in big trouble. To think we use the shuttle to refuel & resupply the ISS when we could save all that aggravation with a few carpets...tsk, tsk.:think:

Maksutov
2008-Jun-10, 09:53 PM
Hey Mak, a bit snippy, don't you think? I don't disagree, but you make it sound mean.Nah, just trying to help with efficiency. You want mean? Check out how Penn & Teller treat pseudoscience believers. ;)

KaiYeves
2008-Jun-10, 10:10 PM
I've talked to people who claim they have witnessed levitation; myself I haven't seen a video yet that James Randi couldn't reproduce with his magician experience.
Doesn't take Randi. Klutz's Encyclopedia of Immaturity has instructions on how to fake levitation for a cellphone video.

cosmocrazy
2008-Jun-11, 10:06 PM
There is only one possible way to levitate with out any known physical means. Anti gravity! which in general relativity means changing the local geometry of space-time. By the power of the mind? sounds like a tall order to me :)

AGN Fuel
2008-Jun-12, 03:25 AM
Yogis have made important contributions to mathematics via levitation. As teachers they would hover about the classroom, leaning down and indicating with an extended finger where the student had made a mistake.

This 'floating point notation' is now used in computers worldwide.

:lol: Sensational, Mike! That'll be a tough one to top for post of the week!