PDA

View Full Version : I hate the media!

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Sep-22, 02:38 PM
Every last blessed story on Galileo, from Fox News to CNN, from NYT to Yahoo news has to word the story like this: "NASA will be crashing the 1.5 BILLION DOLLAR Galileo probe into Jupiter..." And then you hear commentary from policy wonks questioning the money spent, and these same exact talking heads don't blink when a politician proposes a significant fraction of the GNP be spent on some pie-in-the-sky, doomed-to-fail-from-the-start, exotoxic-meme-riddled, scientifically unsound, historically disproven social engineering program.

The news media is always so harsh on successes like Galileo, but you get something like allowing illegal aliens to have driver's licenses here in California, and all these tough reporters and "journalists" suddenly can't find a single tough question to ask (such as what they think of other states now probably refusing to recognize a California license as valid ID). It's sickening.

But we can't talk about scientific triumphs. We need to devote the lead story slot to Kobe or Ben & JLo. The politicians themselves can't crow about it (or give NASA some kudos in public) because they are too busy passing laws to ban lap dances and putting 65 year old Tommy Chong in prison for selling bongs. :roll:

Argh! Grrr! Spit! Growl! Hissss! Hulk smash! ](*,)

TriangleMan
2003-Sep-22, 03:12 PM
If it makes you feel better one of the main Canadian news outlets (http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/21/galileo030921) didn't mention the $1.5b. :)

Another news article in Yahoo.ca (not .com) used the space.com article which did mention the $1.5b but made a point of how the mission was worth the money!

mutant
2003-Sep-22, 03:14 PM
TheGalaxyTrio,

I believe you have discovered the reason that many in here do not watch or do not even have a television. They don't call tv a "vast wasteland" for no reason. If I want accurate and up to date info relating to science or news of any kind I just search the net. It is easier that way for me to weed out the useless and politically slanted information.

Oh yes. Calm down and relax in the knowledge that you are not alone. I had my mental meltdown about two years ago. TV just finally drove me nuts. I gave one tv to a neighbor and the other two to a charity. I occasionally have flashbacks but the doctor says I will fully recover.

2003-Sep-22, 04:15 PM
9/22 I agree? CENTRAL BANKING is getting 2TVized

wedgebert
2003-Sep-22, 06:09 PM
I get all my news from MSNBC.com and Space.com (and the former links to many stories by the latter).

TV news is, from the looks of it, a dying breed. Why wait to hear about the news you want when you can just go online and find out now?

To counter this, the media is doing whatever it takes to keep their views. This includes finding "scandals" where none exist, overreacting to various things *cough* BBC *cough* asteroids *cough*, and spending more time on celebrities than real life. For some reason, actors and sports stars have become "heroes" and the true pioneers are discarded. It's sad.

Let's face it, a majority of people in this country don't seem to care much about science, and space in particular. So barring the discovery of life, the media is going to play to public by just talking about the "costs" or "failures" of science and the space program.

Unfortunately, this just leads to more people not caring...

sideways
2003-Sep-22, 10:39 PM
Since the media scum rarely publicize science, let alone report on real news, I've declared them to be among my archenemies! They are the Centauri Republic and I'm the Narn Regime! They are Species 8472 and I'm the Borg Collective! They are the Goa'uld System Lords and I'm Stargate Command! They are the Dorcon Imperial Federation and I'm the Alphan Lunar Authority!
:x

mutant
2003-Sep-22, 11:30 PM
wedgebert said:

For some reason, actors and sports stars have become "heroes" and the true pioneers are discarded. It's sad.

And a big "amen" to that. It is something I just do not understand either. How intelligence, dedication and courage can take 2nd place to infamous individuals who dote on their own notorioty. Well, at least when they are out on parole anyway.

wedgebert
2003-Sep-23, 01:19 AM
wedgebert said:

For some reason, actors and sports stars have become "heroes" and the true pioneers are discarded. It's sad.

And a big "amen" to that. It is something I just do not understand either. How intelligence, dedication and courage can take 2nd place to infamous individuals who dote on their own notorioty. Well, at least when they are out on parole anyway.

Don't get me started, I could go off on that subject for a while :)

TriangleMan
2003-Sep-23, 11:13 AM
It is something I just do not understand either. How intelligence, dedication and courage can take 2nd place to infamous individuals who dote on their own notorioty. Well, at least when they are out on parole anyway.

:lol: My 2 cents is that people are more attracted to the lifestyle of celebrities than scientists and politicians. Glamerous homes, jet-setting in five-star luxury, popularity - all of this just doing what you're average teenager would love to do anyway (play music/sports)! Intelligence and dedication will always take second fiddle to that.

2003-Sep-23, 05:55 PM
TheGalaxyTrio,

I believe you have discovered the reason that many in here do not watch or do not even have a television. They don't call tv a "vast wasteland" for no reason. If I want accurate and up to date info relating to science or news of any kind I just search the net. It is easier that way for me to weed out the useless and politically slanted information.

Oh yes. Calm down and relax in the knowledge that you are not alone. I had my mental meltdown about two years ago. TV just finally drove me nuts. I gave one tv to a neighbor and the other two to a charity. I occasionally have flashbacks but the doctor says I will fully recover.

I LIKE watching TV. Well, a bit. I don't depend on it for news though, unless something major is going on, then I might watch for a few minutes. Mostly just watch the occasional show on Comedy Central or TechTV or Cartoon Network (Family Guy rocks). Don't watch too much even then. Watch a lot more movies and spend more time on the internet. I watched about 5 minutes of the local news last night. I think that was the first time in months that I've watched it for more than a couple seconds as I'm flipping through the channels.

Kebsis
2003-Sep-24, 12:14 AM
Back before I had the net, I would switch between news channels to try and catch the same story on two different networks, and try to get an idea about what really happened. Now I have the net and I don't really need the T.V news.

The only thing I watch on TV now is Conan O'Brien.