PDA

View Full Version : Surfing on the job boosts productivity

jokergirl
2008-Jun-11, 02:16 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146814/facebook_breaks_boost_productivity_study_says.html

Feeling guilty about checking out Facebook when you should be working? Well, don't -- because according to PopCap Games research, taking a 10-minute break to surf the Net will reduce stress and sharpen your mind.

The games manufacturer claims 'electronic breaks' actually increase staff efficiency and morale, warning that by stopping workers surfing the web, businesses are contributing to a loss to of productivity worth up to US$8 billion every year.

Have you experienced this? I definitely subscribe to this theory.

About reading BAUTforum at work though, I'd say reading Q&A definitely sharpens my mind, Conspiracy Theories and ATM on the other hand has the tendency to make me lose braincells... :lol:

;)

Kaptain K
2008-Jun-11, 06:12 PM
That's going to go over just like the studies that show that short naps increase productivity! Of course the same executives who will fire you if they catch you at it are the same ones who think nothing of "networking" on the golf course! :lol:

sarongsong
2008-Jun-11, 09:21 PM
...according to PopCap Games research..."But the fox promised the chickens would be safe!"

Tobin Dax
2008-Jun-12, 03:24 AM
That's going to go over just like the studies that show that short naps increase productivity! Of course the same executives who will fire you if they catch you at it are the same ones who think nothing of "networking" on the golf course! :lol:

This is why I love my job. When I'm surfing the web, I'm looking for pictures or videos or demos to use in lecture, or I'm making sure that I'm staying current on physics and astronomy. And of course BAUT and BABlog are a part of that. :D

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-12, 10:10 AM
Just in, "stealing office supplies improves the bottom line". :D

jokergirl
2008-Jun-12, 10:46 AM
And "Frequent coffee breaks improve employee morale"!

;)

geonuc
2008-Jun-12, 11:02 AM
As I appear to be irreplaceable at work (my company has tried in vain to find a second person with my qualifications who will work here within our pay structure), I violate company policy and surf whenever I need a break from the stress of the job. Which is to say, a lot. As long as I get my work done, they can take their policy and ...

In fact, our IT guy told me confidentially that management had decided to back off enforcing the internet-use rules because new employees fresh out of college seem to expect that they can do it on the job (as long as they get the work done). The job market we're in is competitive and younger engineers will just go somewhere else if they don't like the work environment.

Maksutov
2008-Jun-12, 11:04 AM
Just in, "stealing office supplies improves the bottom line". :DThis must be your idea of the ideal cubicle. HR and and middle/upper/corporate management approved:

:)

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-12, 12:30 PM
Maksutov I am not sure whether to write an angry rebuttal or smile approvingly.

tdvance
2008-Jun-12, 02:38 PM
To assess the question--i'd say "a reasonable amount of surfing the web increases productivity". Obviously if that's all you do, unless it's your job, your productivity will be pretty low. If you never do it, for many jobs that would hurt for various reasons (morale, do something less productive to take a break, or just need the information to do your job!). So, assuming differentiability, freshman calculus tells you there must be a point of maximum productivity between the two extremes.

Swift
2008-Jun-12, 02:51 PM
And "Frequent coffee breaks improve employee morale"!

;)
Actually, I don't think it is a joke. Giving your brain a rest once in a while, and interacting with your co-workers are both good things, whether done around the coffee pot or on-line. As tdvance said, all in moderation, you still have to get your job done.

One thing that annoys me about the company I work for, is that the official written policy says absolutely no use of computers, internet, e-mail, or telephones for personal use, and violation of this is grounds for firing. I recall one year, when we are asked to sign our annual acceptance of this policy, that I asked my boss, if my wife calls me and asks me to bring home some milk, will I get fired. She said "of course not". So why is the policy written as an absolute?!? The answer of course is to have something they can hold against you when they choose to fire you, for whatever reason. :mad:

jokergirl
2008-Jun-12, 08:39 PM
Actually, I don't think it is a joke. Giving your brain a rest once in a while, and interacting with your co-workers are both good things, whether done around the coffee pot or on-line. As tdvance said, all in moderation, you still have to get your job done.

It's a tradition in most companies here. Regular coffee breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
You'd be surprised just how much work and teambuilding gets done in those "unproductive" minutes.

;)

mike alexander
2008-Jun-12, 09:37 PM
I think its a great idea, as long as you don't get your desk wet afterwards.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9067/surfbn8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-13, 06:41 AM
mike I know BigDon complained already, but you are making me dizzy. :D
Who is that on your avatar? Is it a younger and better looking mike?

mike alexander
2008-Jun-13, 07:14 AM
That is the younger avatar of my older avatar.