PDA

View Full Version : Practical jokes

SKY
2003-Sep-22, 05:10 PM
OK…In my everyday life, I am a pretty big practical joker. I thought I’d start a thread were we could share practical jokes that we’ve orchestrated or been the target in. Also, I’m looking for ideas because I’m in a creative block. :grin:

On of my targets has been a person in my office. It all started when I felt paper clips hitting be and caught her hiding behind the copier throwing them like hand grenades at me. So, when she was away from her desk I went to her computer and shared her printer to the network. I then installed her printer to my computer and waited for her to come back to her desk. When she came back I began sending her spooky messages to her printer (such as “Redrum Redrum” and “I see dead people”) She was freaking out. I told her that her computer was probably haunted. I then got a few more people in the office in on it and installed her printer to their computer and they started sending her messages to. After a few more “messages” I created a wanted poster of “Casper” (the friendly ghost) and sent it to her computer. She then figured out who it was.

She got me back with a simple joke that had a smelly outcome. She had ordered Calamari at a restaurant the night before and had saved a few pieces in a box. Incase you don’t know what Calamari is, it’s fried Squid. She then came in to the office before me and put it in my office after leaving it outside the night before. Needless to say my office stunk for a while.

So, under pressure to respond, I came up with a creative joke still playing off the haunted computer. I downloaded some creepy sounds from the internet and saved them to a floppy. I then came into work an hour before she got here and started up her computer. I then changed all her default sounds for her “Windows theme” to play these spooky sounds (one of them being a low groan followed immediately with a witches laugh, which I set to play at her computer start up). Knowing that she only knows the very basic computer knowledge to get jobs done, and couldn’t put a computer together to save her life, I proceeded to unplug her computer speakers from the CPU and I plugged in my own speakers and hid them under her desk where she would never find them. I then cranked the volume all the way up. I then went into my office and waited for her arrival. When she arrived and started her computer, I kid you not; the walls were shaking in the office with the low groan…then the witches laugh hit. It was loud. I was peaking my head out my office door looking for a reaction. She walked out of her office walking bow legged like she had something in her pants. She then saw my head peaking out the office door. When she said “I’m going to the bathroom” I lost it. I was on the floor laughing for minutes.

No she didn’t really go to the bathroom in her pants; it was just her way of saying “good one”. :grin:

I also have a prank war going on with my sister every Christmas. It all started when I bought her a gift which I placed in a shoe box. I then wrapped the shoe box in an entire roll of “Duct Tape”. I then wrapped that with the gift wrapping. When she unwrapped the wrapping, she spent about Five minutes trying to undo the Duct tape (which I cut into sections instead of wrapping it with one long single piece to guarantee a headache). After a while, she got fed up and decided to cut open the box with a knife. And the present inside…was a pack of batteries with a note that said “Gift not included”.

On the next Christmas, she got me back with the same Duct tape gag, but she wrapped Three DVD’s by themselves in Duct tape, which meant I couldn’t cut through the Duct tape like she had done a year earlier. I had to sit there and completely unwrap the Duct tape to get the DVD’s.

So the next Christmas we both orchestrated pranks on each other. She gave me a box of dirt, and buried in it was the DVD of…”Joe Dirt”. My gift was a little more creative than usual and wasn’t immediately apparent to her upon opening of it (which was funny in a way cause I could actually see the look of disappointment on her face when see thought I had not done a prank). I bought her a CD whose artist escapes me right now. I took it home and VERY carefully, lifted the edges of the plastic wrapping being extra careful not to tear the plastic. I then carefully slid the CD case out of the plastic. I then carefully pealed away the “Security Strip” that covers the CD jacket and tray to keep from opening the CD case, and left the security strip hanging on the top (jacket part) of the CD case. I then separated the Jacket part of the case from the CD Tray part of the case. I took out the CD and scanned the top of the CD into my computer. I took apart the CD tray and scanned the back part of the CD case. I made a CD label of the top of the CD and put the label on a blank CD. I then took an extra CD case I had and took apart the CD tray. I printed the tray portion of the CD case and placed under the CD tray of the extra case. I put the tray back together took the blank CD with the printed label…and Super Glued it to the CD tray. I then took the original “Jacket” portion of the CD case, complete with security strip and all and attached it to the doctored CD tray. I then let the glue dry overnight, open-faced to let the glue fumes go away. The next day I closed the CD case and reapplied the security strip. I then VERY carefully put the entire CD case back into the plastic wrapper and lightly glued the opening shut. When I was done with this thing, it looked absolutely store bought. You could not tell there was anything wrong with it.

So there was my sister looking glum because her bro forgot to play a gag on her this Christmas. My wife then went into action and asked her questions about the CD. My wife then asked her to play a song from it. My sister unwrapped the plastic (less carefully than I had two days earlier :grin: ) and then she removed the security strip. I could barley contain myself from laughing as she walked over to the stereo, opened the CD case and attempted to pull out the CD…then attempted again…another tug…and another. Then she finally realized after I was laughing so hard that her brother hadn’t forgotten after all. We then handed her the case with the real CD in it.

Anyway, those are my tales of creative genius. If I still have your attention after this long post, do any of you have any clean pranks that you have created or been the recipient that you would like to share. As I said I am also looking for ideas, especially for my next Holiday fiasco which may be months away, but I am still drawing a blank on.

A couple rules:

1. They have to be clean pranks (remember, kids read this board).

2. Nothing mean. I find that if other people don't laugh along with you, including the mark, then it just isn't worth the effort.

3. The more creative the better :) .

Have at it, and enjoy. 8)

tuffel999
2003-Sep-22, 06:48 PM
Ohhhh I have lots. We got real bored at the college I went to. The first I'll share actually should be credited to my father who pulled it when he was in college I just repeated it.

At school we had this kid who was rather obnoxious and he had a lot of money(for a student). So one day he bought a new Honda Civic SI with an obnoxious stereo in it. SO he decided it would be cool to come by waking up my barracks at about 2:30 every morning for a week to show off. My roommate and I decided that had to stop. So myself, my roommate and 6 other guys snuck out at about 1:30 one morning to where he parked. We kicked the car out of gear and pushed (so it wouldn't make noise)it to a side walk accross campus where they had concrete pillars to keep cars out. We then wedged the car in between the poles and turned on the stereo and locked the car, keys inside(we got the keys from his roommate who was helping us but he never found out his roommate was in on it). The next morning during PT we ran by and his car was still there with a ticket from the police and a note that they would have towed it if they could have gotten it out(the stereo wasn't running because the battery was dead). Well he saw his car and he fingered us right away since we had big s*** eating grins. The 1st Sergeant made my platoon pick the damned thing up and carry back to the parking lot as punishment. Ohhh well it was fun while it lasted and we all had a great laugh after we moved it back.

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Sep-22, 06:48 PM
The best one I've been a target of was more spur of the moment than well planned out. I had decided one overcast afternoon (about 4pm) to take a nap, I was very careful to set the alarm for the next day just incase I slept through the night (that tired). I had a Calc I exam the next morning at 7:30. My roommate at the time thought it would be funny to set my alarm clock ahead 12 hours, banking on the cloud cover to disguise the true time of day. I woke up at 7-what-I-thought-AM because of the clock....somewhat confused as usual and headed into take a shower and shave...got dressed up for class (I had a presentation after the exam that day) grabbed my books and headed to class to find no one there...

Humphrey
2003-Sep-22, 07:13 PM
Nuthing even close to yours :-) But when we were younger my brohters and i (me and my brothers?) played pranks on our sister all the time. Several of these would be big staged gags, a few were simple ones.

She knows very, very little about computers. Yet for some reason my parents gave her her own computer (at this time me and my brothers still had to share one computer). Well in retaliation we changed all of the sounds on her computer to us singing her favorite songs, poorly.

At this time she loved the backstreet boys. (uhhggg..) so we took a picture of them, and photoshoped all of theer heads onto the bodies of women in intimate poses. This became her desktop wallpaper. :-)

The biggest one involved us taking all of her barbies, ken, and a lot of dental floss. In her bathroom (yes she had her own bathroom too. spoiled brat :evil: ) we placed Ken on top of a box on the sink. We then placed a black sock on his head. After that we diligently strung dental floss around the necks of every single one of her barbies. Each barbie was hung from the ceiling.

You could hear the scream from across the street. :-)

SKY
2003-Sep-22, 07:40 PM
These are all good. I have similar occurance with a couple of these.

tuffel999-

In high school, I had a PE teacher who was really cool. A couple of friends and I decided to play a practical joke on him, so we saw his clip board with his keys attached to them. We ran over to the faculty parking lot and found his car. We then drove his car to the outdoor Basketball courts and parked it there (this was where we met for PE after coming out of the locker room). He walked out of his office and saw his car parked on the basketball court. We couldn't help but laugh, so we were duly caught. He had a great sense of humor though so we didn't get into trouble for it, we just took it back to the parking lot.

The biggest one involved us taking all of her barbies, ken, and a lot of dental floss. In her bathroom (yes she had her own bathroom too. spoiled brat :evil: ) we placed Ken on top of a box on the sink. We then placed a black sock on his head. After that we diligently strung dental floss around the necks of every single one of her barbies. Each barbie was hung from the ceiling.

You could hear the scream from across the street. :-)

When my sister and I were younger, she loved New Kids on the Block. being the older brother I naturally hated them. She had a "Donny" doll that I promply hung from her ceiling fan. :D

tuffel999
2003-Sep-22, 08:05 PM
Ok so I have a few more to type up now that I am back.

1. I went ot a military college so we had all sorts of traditions and unusual occurances for a normal college. One is they play retreat at 5:00 pm. On mondays the corps has drill on the drill field from 3:30 to 5:00 followed by retreat where they fire the 75mm howitzer. So a few enterpising individuals decided that making a trip to the local store for a large assortment of lacy ladies underwear would be appropriate to stuff in the cannon. Well when the time came the cannon was loaded and fired and damned if it wasn't raining underwear. :D Over the years they have done different variations of this with, tennis balls and once a grapefruit it hit a building though 8-[

2. Another fun one with our beloved drill field involved an enterprising group of us students and a 20-25 foot pine sapling. In the middle of the night one night the tree was dug up from the woods behind the barracks and stored behind another building. The following night the crew snuck out again grabbed the tree, high tailed it down to the drill field dug a hole and planted the bad boy. It was another great sight at 5:30 in the morning when we went out. Nice majestic green field with a lifting fog and a big ugly tree planted right in the middle. I will have ot look around for the picture of it. It's in this desk somewhere I think.

dgruss23
2003-Sep-22, 08:26 PM
As a senior in college we shared an apartment for a semester with this really annoying fraternity brother that didn't want to live in the frat house so he could study (Yeah- right). Anyway, he never seemed to contribute to the grocery bill, but was more than willing to contribute to the grocery eating. The only exception was that he bought skim milk for himself - but then he drank up all our milk anyway.

So we started adding water to his skim milk. He had this one half gallon for about 3 weeks (duh - you're drinking it every day!). Finally one day he poured the last of his (99% water by now #-o ) skim milk and is sitting there drinking it telling us: "You know, some people hate skim milk. They think it tastes like water, but I think it tastes great." :lol:

During my college summers, I worked as a cashier at a gas station/mini-mart. It was a tradition of mine to pull a practical joke my last night working there before heading back to college. One summer they were constantly picking on me because the place was so busy that my register tape would be trailing onto the floor. The manager would walk by and say: "You're wallpapering the place."

So at the end of that summer, I decided to wallpaper the place my last night. I covered the windows with paper towels, the shelves, the doorways into other rooms, the doors of coolers.

So in the night, a police officer (that was regular customer at the gas station) drives by and calls up the manager. He wasn't sure if the place was being robbed. She drives up and they go through the place. Apparently the sheriff had to pull his gun and kick through the paper towels hanging over doorways. So to get me back, he drafted a letter on official county sheriff letterhead that said I was going to be brought up on criminal charges. So I was panick stricken for a full day before I noticed that the police officer that signed the letter was officer "I.P. Daily". #-o :oops:

tuffel999
2003-Sep-22, 08:31 PM
That was pretty funny. In high school I worked at a gas station but the worst I ever did was freak out customers while stocking in the refrigerator by grabbing there hand when they reached in. Simple yet effective.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-22, 08:47 PM
tuffel999. When I was in depot (basic training camp) we did a variation to the tree planting in the middle of the drill square practical joke. After a few weeks we got our first night on the town; so, of course we went out and drank to access. There is always a couple of guys who really got wasted. After one of the drunks was sound asleep we moved him, and the bed he was in, out to the parade square---along with his locker and barrack box. Needless to say, when the Regimental Sargeant Major (GOD) spotted the guy out there, s*** hit the fan!

dgruss23
2003-Sep-22, 08:55 PM
That was pretty funny. In high school I worked at a gas station but the worst I ever did was freak out customers while stocking in the refrigerator by grabbing there hand when they reached in. Simple yet effective.

:lol:

There were times when I would be loading the cooler and someone would grab a gallon of milk - so I'd slide one in to replace it. Then they'd decide to put it back and there was no place to fit it. Then they'd yell in at me. "Hey, I'm putting that back!" Or sometimes they'd open the cooler doors to ask for something. "Hey, you got any budwater light in there?"

SKY
2003-Sep-22, 08:58 PM
So in the night, a police officer (that was regular customer at the gas station) drives by and calls up the manager. He wasn't sure if the place was being robbed. She drives up and they go through the place. Apparently the sheriff had to pull his gun and kick through the paper towels hanging over doorways. So to get me back, he drafted a letter on official county sheriff letterhead that said I was going to be brought up on criminal charges. So I was panick stricken for a full day before I noticed that the police officer that signed the letter was officer "I.P. Daily". #-o :oops:

That was funny.

I use to work security for a local company and was working at a local residential assocation. Our guard house was huge and housed our security directors office. Our security director (who we played numerous practical jokes on, which I might get into later) was an Ex-Lieutenant detective for our local Sheriffs department, so he knew alot of the Sheriffs that came through the gate usually responding to alarms. One such Sheriff had asked our director if he could get him some of this chemical that the landscapers sprayed on the "Nutgrass". I can't remember the name of the chemical or the purpose of it, but when the director asked the greens keeper, he said he would but only a little because five gallons of this stuff cost roughly in the thousands of dollors!! The greens keeper gave my director a few table spoons of this stuff which was in a powder form in a bottle. My director then took a medicine bottle and ground up some "Beef Bullion", the seasoning that they put in packets of "Top Roman" noodles, and he put that in the medicine bottle. He then wrote notes all over the bottle such as "DO NOT INHALE" "DO NOT OPEN WITH OUT MASK" and "WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES WHEN HANDLING". The next time the Sheriff arrived at the guard house, he handed the bottle to him. The Sheriff took it and joke saying "I don't know if I want this in my car!" After the Sheriff left, my director called the Sheriffs wife and let her in on the joke and told her when the husband gets home, to take the bottle, ask what it is, open it and take a BIG sniff of it.

The next time the Sheriff came by, my director was waiting for him outside the guard house laughing and pointing at him and the Sheriff drove up laughing hard. My director then gave him the real bottle.

dgruss23
2003-Sep-22, 09:34 PM
That's absolutely hysterical! :lol:

mike alexander
2003-Sep-22, 10:58 PM
A little bit of nitrogen triiodide in the keyhole. Just a tiny bit.

tuffel999
2003-Sep-22, 11:00 PM
Just a quickie fun thing to do. Put a little dry ice in an eppendorf tube and toss it behind someones lab bench. It pops very loudly in about 10-12 seconds. Lots of fun.

SKY
2003-Sep-22, 11:07 PM
A little bit of nitrogen triiodide in the keyhole. Just a tiny bit.

WOW!! (http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ni3/ni3c.htm) Click on one of the two side by side pictures to see an animation of this stuff.

For the sake of not wanting to cause an accident (if you know what I mean) I think I'll skip on using this prank. :D

NASA Fan
2003-Sep-23, 03:50 AM
On one of the loacal radio stations they pull an April Fools prank every year. They tell the listerners a whopper of a story, get people to react and then tell them that it was a prank the next day.

One year they convinced many Houstonians to put plastic bags over their phones, because the phone company was going to clean out the lines, by blowing air through the lines. If you did not put a bag on your phone then you would have dirt all over your home.

Another year they pulled a different variation, they had people put bricks or other heavy objects on their toilets to avoid spillage.

This year they convinced people that the toll authorities were going to charge people using the toll roads per person in the vehicle, rather than per vehicle. People called in complaining, vowing to take the long way around, just to avoid the added toll. They had someone call in impersenating someone from the toll authorities "confirming" the story. After an hour or two they told the listeners that it was a joke.
I woke up April 1, heard what they were saying, and while still sleepy figured out that it was an April Fools joke.

I am not sure why some people believe these kinds of stories.

My suggestion would be that if you want to pull a small scale version on your co-worker that you show her an email, from the proper authorities, that explains the "problem" and the "soltion."

Depending on the size of your office, and your relationship with others in the office, you could get everyone else in on the joke, or get someone else to forward the e-mail to your co-worker.

Madcat
2003-Sep-23, 04:41 AM
Back in High School, my programming class would find ways to annoy everyone else. Because the school had learned from previous years that we would screw up the network through our blend of ignorance and fledgeling competence, they left network coding out of our education. But not the input from and creation of files. We created a shared folder on one of the school's servers and gave each machine on the network access. (They trusted us enough that we were tasked with the network's upkeep. Kind of makes pranking the net less fun but what the hey.) We then wrote a simple program, hellbreaksloose.cpp, and left it running in the background on each machine. All hellbreaksloose did was check that shared folder every few seconds and read the list of characters therein. The only thing that was in there was a single number, normally zero. When an indentically named file -with a one instead of a zero was copied into the folder... well... Hell broke loose! Every computer in the school began playing the anthem of the USSR, opening and closing the CD-ROM drives randomly, and other foolishness.

Reacher
2003-Sep-23, 11:00 AM
Remind me to always stay on you guy's good side, eh?

Heres a minor prank I once pulled, spur of the moment.

Two of my friends, one of whom just registered here as 'F1' were doing an assignment a couple of years back, in which they had to record a TV comercial. I was in a spare classroom, alone with them, helping them out.They started argueing over something, and I reached over and pressed 'Record' on the tape player, realising how humourous it would be to see them stand up in front of the class and play to the teacher a stream of profanity. Unfortunately, F1 noticed that I was laughing, and that was that.

My uncle Mark is the police... umm, is cheif the word here in Oz? anyway, He's in charge of the cops in Albany, and he runs a cadet camp. Once they had this kid who was pushing the others around, so my uncle filled his sleeping bag with honey.

My father used to pull some good pranks on his friends. One of them involved some dental floss, a passed out friend, and tying said friends' anatomy to other parts of said anatomy. But that's for another time, maybe?

JimTKirk
2003-Sep-23, 01:13 PM
As a senior in college we shared an apartment for a semester with this really annoying fraternity brother that didn't want to live in the frat house so he could study (Yeah- right). Anyway, he never seemed to contribute to the grocery bill, but was more than willing to contribute to the grocery eating. The only exception was that he bought skim milk for himself - but then he drank up all our milk anyway.

So we started adding water to his skim milk. He had this one half gallon for about 3 weeks (duh - you're drinking it every day!). Finally one day he poured the last of his (99% water by now #-o ) skim milk and is sitting there drinking it telling us: "You know, some people hate skim milk. They think it tastes like water, but I think it tastes great." :lol:

During my college summers, I worked as a cashier at a gas station/mini-mart. It was a tradition of mine to pull a practical joke my last night working there before heading back to college. One summer they were constantly picking on me because the place was so busy that my register tape would be trailing onto the floor. The manager would walk by and say: "You're wallpapering the place."

So at the end of that summer, I decided to wallpaper the place my last night. I covered the windows with paper towels, the shelves, the doorways into other rooms, the doors of coolers.

I knew someone at my former job that got a similar treatment as the Frat Brother. He bought a 2 pound bag of M&Ms but wouldn't share it. He stored it in the refrigerator and only took out 5-10 pieces at a time. We would watch him and bought another bag of M&Ms. Every time he took out 5 we replaced 4 of them. After 6 months( :o ) we got tired as he didn't notice the bag was still 1/3rd full. When the bag got empty(about a week later), he started accusing us of stealing his M&Ms! He still thought we were stealing them even when we showed him the 4 empty bags we went thru in the joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've joked a phone on a co-worker before. I used scotch tape to cover the two inner leads on the connection. The phone still rings and the other end hears the mark talking, but the mark can't hear them. Then you just keep calling them from just outside earshot. =D> In some cases, it might be better to tell the mark's family, so they don't think the person is going looney.

jfribrg
2003-Sep-23, 05:32 PM
This joke was one I pulled on my 8 year old daughter (with my son's very willing assistance). Last April 1st, we set all the clocks in the house ahead 4 hours. She woke up thinking she had slept till noon, when in fact it was 8 AM. She had been telling the entire family that she had numerous practical jokes planned for the day, but was not amused at being the first victim. She did get her revenge though. We have a spray hose at our kitchen sink. She tied a rope around the nozzle so it would be always on. As a result, whoever turned on the faucet (that was me) got soaked. The moral of the story here is that when it comes to practical jokes, it is definitely much better to give than to receive.

SKY
2003-Sep-25, 09:16 PM
I've joked a phone on a co-worker before. I used scotch tape to cover the two inner leads on the connection. The phone still rings and the other end hears the mark talking, but the mark can't hear them. Then you just keep calling them from just outside earshot. =D> In some cases, it might be better to tell the mark's family, so they don't think the person is going looney.

I'd like to learn that one. That reminds me of a prank my security director pulled on me when I worked at a security guard house. He taped the "Hook Switch" of the phone down, and then called the dispatch line. everytime I went to answer the phone, it would just keep ringing. #-o

tuffel999
2003-Sep-26, 02:07 AM
Prank I wasn't in but was still fun was a variation on move someone out of there room and onto the lawn. Some of the guys I knew in college snuck into the chow hall one night and grabbed one of the large tables and 6 chairs(along with complete place settings) and moved it on top of the building over night. The upper part of the chow hall had a big sky light so you could see right through and see the setting up on the roof(and from afar). It only took these guys a half hour or so to get it up but physical plant took about 3 getting it down. #-o

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-26, 02:14 AM
My friend's brother decided to pull a prank on another school a few years ago. It was the night before a big football game and he gathered a bunch of his friends. They dug a hole in the field and cemented a tree right smack dab in the middle of the field. Big tree, too. He would have gotten away with it but his friends ratted him out, so he had to go dig it up. He tells me that it was worth it, though.

snowcelt
2003-Sep-26, 02:21 AM
There has been a tradition for the engineering students of UBC (University of British Columbia) to 'engineer' a practical joke.

One year they suspended a Volkswagen Beetle under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

It took the Vancouver City Engineer's two days to safely remove it.

These days the Engineers are more mundane, but I keep wishing!

SKY
2003-Dec-25, 07:23 AM
Just a follow up on the OP. As I mentioned, me and my sister have a kinda prank war going on every Christmas. So here are the pranks that we pulled on each other this year:

I like playing chess and have developed a habit of collecting chess sets over the years. My sister bought me a Simpson's chess set. And when I opened it up, the pieces were missing. But, there was a note that said "Merry Christmas! The pieces are hidden around the house...inside and out. Have fun!" #-o

Now, I may have a bias opinion, but I think my prank was more original. I bought her a watch that she wanted and locked it in a safe box that uses a key to open. I then took the key and froze it in the middle of a block of ice just bigger than a shoe box. Just before we were going to open presents I took the block out of the freezer and wrapped it in styrofoam and then put that in a large pre-wrapped box that I rigged to be able to put the block in and seal the wrapping quick. Now even though she only took a few minutes to get the key out by placing the block in the sink under hot water...it was still funny :D .

This year my brother-in-law decided to join in as well by pulling a joke on my sister. He bought her a gift card to Best Buy. Then he bought an entire box of 80 envelopes. He then took each envelope and sealed a piece of thin plastic in them and one envelope with the gift card. He then put each envelope back into the box and wrapped it. She had to go through each envelope to find the gift card. :lol:

I kinda liked his prank better than mine. It was simple and was pretty time consuming for her to get through. :D

NASA Fan
2003-Dec-26, 04:54 AM
Thank You for sharing, it was fun to re-read all those pranks again.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Dec-26, 06:31 AM
All right, here's a simple one to do at the office. If a co-worker has one of those blotter things on their desk, tie the back of it to the back of their desk drawer. When they open the drawer... ZOOP! Blotter goes flying the other way, along with everything on it.

zebo-the-fat
2003-Dec-26, 11:01 PM
In the lab where I used to work we had a small metal tin, the top and bottom were insulated from each other with a strip of clear tape and a low-leakage capacitor soldered to the inside of the lid and base of the tin. Charge it up to around 300volts and leave it on top of someones paper work, then hide! :evil: :evil:

gethen
2003-Dec-26, 11:24 PM
While I never commit practical jokes, I have engaged in a couple of innocent pranks. Of course, wrapping a rubber band around the sprayer attachment on your sink so that the first person to turn the water on gets a shower is a venerable stunt. Beyond that, the best one I ever tried was injecting (with a sterile insulin syringe) 2cc of green food coloring into the sealed cream container that a particulary nasty coworker kept in the community fridge. He was continually accusing other people of stealing his cream. I felt he deserved it.

SKY
2003-Dec-27, 07:24 AM
Thank You for sharing, it was fun to re-read all those pranks again.

You're Welcome. :)

I do like this thread and the responses I've gotten. I'd hate to see it go away.

All right, here's a simple one to do at the office. If a co-worker has one of those blotter things on their desk, tie the back of it to the back of their desk drawer. When they open the drawer... ZOOP! Blotter goes flying the other way, along with everything on it.

I like that one. I may have to borrow that idea for a future prank against my co-worker. 8-[

dgruss23
2003-Dec-27, 01:30 PM
gethen: the best one I ever tried was injecting (with a sterile insulin syringe) 2cc of green food coloring into the sealed cream container that a particulary nasty coworker kept in the community fridge. He was continually accusing other people of stealing his cream. I felt he deserved it.

I like it!

mike alexander
2003-Dec-28, 05:42 AM
Decades ago. A potato stuffed in the car's exhaust.

A handful of relatively fine gravel in the same place makes a brief but interesting noise.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Dec-28, 07:10 AM
What you do is this:

1 Get a wrecked car (same make and model as your neighbour/co-worker/friend/etc's).

2 Hide their car.

3 Replace it with the wreck.

4 Enjoy.

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-22, 04:29 AM
I just heard a fun one on the radio.

The men in a family shrink wrapped the bride and grooms winnebego.

I realice that most people do not have one of those sitting around, so I guess wrapping up a car might be fun.

SKY
2004-Jan-22, 04:13 PM

How the heck did they manage that??? :o

Humphrey
2004-Jan-22, 11:24 PM

How the heck did they manage that??? :o

Ive seen that happen on regular compact cars around down. It was interesting to see the person try to open the door with handfulls of books. :-)

Note: it was not me who did it, i just walked upon it in the parkinglot.

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-23, 03:04 AM
Sure Humphrey, if you say you had nothing to do with it, I believe you.

So what did he do to earn that treatment?

Mr. X
2004-Jan-23, 04:00 AM
the best one I ever tried was injecting (with a sterile insulin syringe) 2cc of green food coloring into the sealed cream container that a particulary nasty coworker kept in the community fridge. He was continually accusing other people of stealing his cream. I felt he deserved it.
I've done the same thing to someone but I used a dirty heroin addict syringe!

And I didn't pump green, I asked the junkie if he would let me take some of his blood and he agreed!

Hi-larious! Never knew what that red goo was!

tuffel999
2004-Jan-23, 04:02 AM
the best one I ever tried was injecting (with a sterile insulin syringe) 2cc of green food coloring into the sealed cream container that a particulary nasty coworker kept in the community fridge. He was continually accusing other people of stealing his cream. I felt he deserved it.
I've done the same thing to someone but I used a dirty heroin addict syringe!

And I didn't pump green, I asked the junkie if he would let me take some of his blood and he agreed!

Hi-larious! Never knew what that red goo was!

Ehhhh.....pass the hepatitis and HIV please. :roll:

Humphrey
2004-Jan-23, 04:32 AM

I am actually serious about this one. Me and my dad were going to Barnes and noble and walking towards the stroe from our car we see this car entirely coverted in saran wrap and either whiped creame or shaving creame. IT was disgusting and utterly aluring.

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-23, 05:29 AM

I am actually serious about this one. Me and my dad were going to Barnes and noble and walking towards the stroe from our car we see this car entirely coverted in saran wrap and either whiped creame or shaving creame. IT was disgusting and utterly aluring.

I said I believed you. I would never accuse you of doing something that you said that you did not do---unless of course it involves taking over the world.

Humphrey
2004-Jan-23, 07:22 AM
oh sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic. doh!. Sorry. :(

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-24, 05:42 AM
Oh, I was but this way I got to make you feel guilty. :D

Jetmech0417
2004-Jan-24, 06:22 AM

I realice that most people do not have one of those sitting around, so I guess wrapping up a car might be fun.

In my last unit (22nd ARS, Mt. Home AFB, ID), we pulled a similar prank on our mid shift production superintendant. He used to always park his pickup in the hanger and fall asleep. So, one night, we grabbed 2 of the heavy duty 4000 lb cargo straps and wrapped them around the doors, making sure to get the ratchets on the top and bottom of the vehicle, away from easy reach...Needless to say, when he didn't show up for the day shift turn-over, we had to go out to the hanger and let him out. He was stuck for the better part of 6 hours.

Gmann
2004-Jan-24, 01:41 PM
I've always been a big fan of the plastic wrap over the toilet bowl thing, but don't do this unless you have an axe to grind with the victim, this one can get ugly. :evil:

One good one I remember from Basic training. We had some down time, so we snuck into another Platoon's barracks and short sheeted every bunk except for the one that belonged to a guy that we did not particularly care for. Needless to say, the "eye of suspicion" was upon him.

Editors note: short sheeting is when you pull the top part of the bedsheet over the top (head) part of the mattress, and then fold the foot of the sheet toward the head where the original top of the sheet would be. It results in a sheet, folded in the middle, and when you try to get under the sheets, you only have about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of space before you reach the fold and cannot extend your legs. \:D/

tuffel999
2004-Jan-24, 04:03 PM
^^^^Sure beats a bar of soap and a sock!

Sammy
2004-Jan-24, 06:11 PM

In my last unit (22nd ARS, Mt. Home AFB, ID), we pulled a similar prank on our mid shift production superintendant. He used to always park his pickup in the hanger and fall asleep. So, one night, we grabbed 2 of the heavy duty 4000 lb cargo straps and wrapped them around the doors, making sure to get the ratchets on the top and bottom of the vehicle, away from easy reach...Needless to say, when he didn't show up for the day shift turn-over, we had to go out to the hanger and let him out. He was stuck for the better part of 6 hours.

That could have gotten a bit messy........... #-o

darkhunter
2004-Jan-24, 09:04 PM

That could have gotten a bit messy........... #-o

Not as messy as the old AGE (http://ageranger.com/) tradition of washracking folks on their last duty day....if they are lucky they just get wet (some folks are bright enough to clean out the fridge the day before):D

Andromeda321
2004-Jan-25, 04:29 AM
I have a twin brother and the most popular question we're asked when we reveal our twin-ness (other then "are you identical?") is "can you two read each other's minds?" Both of these questions got boring once we turned five and, even though we are doomed to this day explaining how a boy and a girl cannot be identical twins, we turned the psychic question to our advantage.
When we were still in elementary school we devised an act where basically we had a string of numbers we'd agreed on in advance. We would then, after charging others admission to look on (when you have no allowance you get creative!), proceed to read each other's minds. Later on when people started getting suspicious we just added in a well-bribed friend who gave one of us the string of numbers who then telepathically got the string of numbers to the other person. We were luckily smart enough to stop our show before most of the other kids got onto us!
My other two favorite pranks of all time relate back to camping. The first one happened at Scout camp a few years back where the girls snuck into the boys tent and put toothpaste all over their faces (they perfectly did not wake up until later and then smeared the stuff all over their faces when they did). We then went to sleep, safe because the tent flap was tied together from the inside by a shoelace, only to wake up hearing the guys scraping around our tent. They decided they would try to take down our tent while we were still inside it, which didn't really work because it was rather impossible to take down the tent without lifting it. They also got in much more trouble then we did the next day! :D
The last one relates back to astronomy camp this year (siriusastronomer was in on this one). One of the campers who was there was never seen without his cowboy hat and sunglasses (even in the nighttime) and was obsessed with coffee (claimed to have some special brew from Europe etc etc). So siriusastronomer and I decided to steal his coffee, with the help of his roommate, and then wrote out a ransom note saying the coffee would be returned in exchange for the cowboy hat and sunglasses. Unfortunately our friend "did not negotiate with terrorists" and we were ratted out by the roomie and another friend. So the coffee was returned without incident short of siriusastronomer and me being forced to try it.

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-25, 10:54 PM
Andromeda321, my room mate is a twin too, and she said she got sick and tired of people asking her, if she and her twin brother are identical. A set of identical twins had a suggestion for what the problem is, that most people do not know the word "fraternal," and thus use the only other word they know that is assosiated with twins.

My friend Randy, another fraternal twin has been asked if he can feel the pain if his twin sister was to be hit by a car. I told him that if anyone ever asked that again, that he reply "only if I am standing right next to her" or " only if I am hit as well."

I guess all these problems are cases of "Bad twinning."

OK, everyone all together now:

GROAN

Pi Man
2004-Jan-26, 05:16 AM
About the worst one I've pulled was writing a program that would put 1 million text documents on my mother's desktop. She, being a computer newbie, knew of no other way to delete them than one by one. :D

When she complained, I altered the program to delete them. :D

Gmann
2004-Jan-26, 01:40 PM
^^^^Sure beats a bar of soap and a sock!

I'm not so sure that he didn't get the bar of soap and a sock thing.

For all of you civilian types wondering what the bar of soap in a sock is supposed to represent, get a copy of "Full Metal Jacket" (the movie) and watch the early scenes :o

tuffel999
2004-Jan-27, 02:04 AM
I have also seen it done with a sock and pool ball now that is :o

SKY
2004-Dec-12, 07:36 AM
OK, it's a couple weeks away from Christmas and me and my sister's prank war showdown and I am drawing a blank. So I figured that there has been quit a few new members in that last year that may have some interesting pranks to add (and that I may be able to borrow from).

mickal555
2004-Dec-12, 08:29 AM
Ok this is all I can come up with..... buy her a gift put it in a box and make some sort of contraption so that when opened, a party poper witll go off..... I did this but put it insde the fridge early in the morning somone opened it........

SKY
2004-Dec-12, 08:56 AM
Ok this is all I can come up with..... buy her a gift put it in a box and make some sort of contraption so that when opened, a party poper witll go off..... I did this but put it insde the fridge early in the morning somone opened it........

I thought of that (but mine was more along the lines of water or shaving cream squirting her) but I cannot work out how to set it to go off.

Candy
2004-Dec-12, 11:26 AM
When I lived in the dorms while at Ball State, someone put baby powder under the door crack. They then took a blow dryer and blew the stuff in my room. I was sleeping at the time, and woke up choking. It's a good think the computer was covered. :evil:

cyswxman
2004-Dec-12, 11:36 AM
When I "lived" in the dorm at OU, I had a roommate that slept very soundly. So one night I completely rearranged the room, including the bunk bed, while he slept. Next morning... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Candy
2004-Dec-12, 01:12 PM
During BSU dorm life again, I hid in the closet of a gal that had briefly left her room (door left open). My intentions were to scare her once she climbed into bed for the night. The plan would've worked, but she came into the room and let out some rather weird gassy noises. :o

I started laughing so hard. I managed to frighten and embarrass her at the same time. :lol:

jfribrg
2005-Apr-01, 01:29 PM
I figured I'd bump this thread in honor of the occasion. Perhaps give some of you Babblers a few ideas before the day is too old
:)

SKY
2005-Apr-01, 06:34 PM
I love reading over this thread from time to time. It's good for a laugh, plus it helps me think of new way to be mischievous http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/shiftyeyes.gif . :D

paulie jay
2005-Apr-02, 12:08 AM
Here is a very simple gag that, when I was younger, I used to play on my sisters and brother, who are all smokers.

When they had lit up a cigarette and then left it burning in an ashtray (a pet peeve of mine) I would wait until they weren't looking and then make a couple of holes in the cigarette with a pin, replace the cigarette "holes down" then watch their puzzled expresison as they tried to take their next puff.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Apr-02, 12:13 AM
Here is a very simple gag that, when I was younger, I used to play on my sisters and brother, who are all smokers.

When they had lit up a cigarette and then left it burning in an ashtray (a pet peeve of mine) I would wait until they weren't looking and then make a couple of holes in the cigarette with a pin, replace the cigarette "holes down" then watch their puzzled expresison as they tried to take their next puff.
What does that do?

paulie jay
2005-Apr-02, 12:38 AM
Just makes it harder for them to suck the smoke down. It's not the hardest hitting gag in the world, but the confused look on their face is worth the two seconds it takes to pierce their cancer sticks!

Candy
2005-Apr-02, 03:29 AM
Just makes it harder for them to suck the smoke down. It's not the hardest hitting gag in the world, but the confused look on their face is worth the two seconds it takes to pierce their cancer sticks!
This guy at work used to turn one cigarette around in a pack. It might've taken a while, but when it would finally get lit, it would be a flame blaring. Smoker's don't usually look if the cigarette is right side or wrong side before taking a puff. :o

Enzp
2005-Apr-02, 08:18 AM
Fun

One place I worked had a fellow we all loved to pick on, Dave. We all liked Dave, but he was such a great target. We got a cat for the shop and named it Dave. We told human Dave it was because the cat laid around all day and did nothing, just like him.

So we did things to Dave.

Ran a wire from the brake light switch over to the horn wires on his car. Every time he hit the brakes, the horn would blare. The unexpected bonus was when he turned on the emergency flashers. honk honk honk...

ANother time we took the tube from the windshield wiper squirter and ran it up under the steering wheel. He never knew for about a week, because it never rained. But he loaned his car to his sister the next weekend and she came back, "Dave, every time I use the wipers, my lap gets wet. You better check it out."

Yep, we did the potato in the exhaust pipe trick. And we also froze his keys in a block of ice. Those are fun pranks.

Dave's car was pretty rusty, and there was a hole on top of the left front fender. We planted flowers in it.

Keeping a straight face, we like to ask for ketchup at the sushi bar.

We used to have an electronics tech who was always "looking for shorts" in his work. One day I went to the toy store and got a pair of bermudas for Barbie dolls, and put them in the thing he was fixing. We thought it was funny at the time.

At Easter in our family we put out Easter baskets and use the plastic eggs. We fill them with jelly beans or other candy things. One year when our kid was little, we did the same, but in one egg we put in some small colorful erasers that looked like candy. Eventually the kid bit into the hunk of rubber. "Hey, that Easter Bunny is trying to fool me."

One year I gave him a basket full of nothing but plastic grass and one large rutabaga. I told him Easter Bunny ran out of candy. The baffled, not sure what to think look on his face was priceless. I gave him a real basket shortly thereafter. But I have been sneaking rutabagas into his presents and things ever since. He's 20 now, but it has become sort of a tradition.

Enzp
2005-Apr-02, 08:47 AM
One other joke. I did this at bowling league. Hey, I'm middle aged, middle class, middle west - we do bowling.

One team each game put up a quarter each on the score table - five quarters - $1.25. WHoever bested his average the most took the small pot. WHen they were not looking, I used to sneak an extra quarter into the pile now and then. They would get all confused and get into great discussions over who anted up twice or how otherwise there came to be an extra quarter. I did this for years and they never caught on that it was a gag. I certainly got my money's worth watching them.

Candy
2005-Apr-02, 01:17 PM
This isn't much of a practical joke, but I'll spill the beans anyway.

I work the midnight shift, and I often walk around World Head Quarters. It's all middle to upper management. I see some cubicles or offices that the person is a collector of one thing or another. I start remembering the names of strangers.

For example, downstairs, there is a man who collects Mickey Mouse's.

I saw a Mickey Mouse Bobblehead that was so cute. I bought it, and placed it on the man's desk without a note.

I just get a kick out of thinking what the man thinks when he comes to work to find his surprise. I can just imagine he is asking everyone and their brother, "Did you leave me the Bobblehead?"

I've been randomly doing this for years. It's the little things in life that entertain me. :D

zebo-the-fat
2005-Apr-02, 01:32 PM
This guy at work used to turn one cigarette around in a pack. It might've taken a while, but when it would finally get lit, it would be a flame blaring. Smoker's don't usually look if the cigarette is right side or wrong side before taking a puff.

I didn't know there was a difference between the two ends! :o

Candy
2005-Apr-02, 01:36 PM
This guy at work used to turn one cigarette around in a pack. It might've taken a while, but when it would finally get lit, it would be a flame blaring. Smoker's don't usually look if the cigarette is right side or wrong side before taking a puff.

Oops, I forgot some people only know non-filtered cigarettes.

Here in the states, most "fag's" have a filter on one end. That's why they're called "butt's". :lol:

zebo-the-fat
2005-Apr-02, 04:32 PM

Oops, I forgot some people only know non-filtered cigarettes.

Here in the states, most "fag's" have a filter on one end. That's why they're called "butt's". :lol:

Never thought about it, but then I never smoked in my life, (steamed a bit - but never smoked!) :D

Enzp
2005-Apr-03, 06:27 AM
Candy, those are the best practical jokes. Non destructive yet it drives them nuts.

My sister has a good friend who went on vacation. Sis recruited me to play the prank, since the friend doesn't know me. Sis gave me the friend's phone number. SO while they were away I left various bogus messages on the answering machine. We even got my wife and son in on it.

Friend lives in North Carolina and we are in Michigan by the way

The son did a great one, he called and said, "Hi, just called to say 'it's a boy.' Gotta go." Friend went nuts calling everyone she knew trying to find out who had the baby.

I left a series of calls from "Phillip from Blockbuster Video." I even found out the number and address of the local one down there. I was telling her we needed her to return the Adam Sandler movies she had out. Phillip is sort of simpering and unappealing. Phillip told her to call right away at the number.

The poor woman bit hard. She called the store to ream them out about calling her over tapes she never rented and to complain about Phillip. Of course they had no Phillip and no record of her having rented anything.

She also gat a message assuring her we would be out first thing inthe morning to cut down the trees in the way of the new driveway we would be installing the next day.

Apparently a machine full of two dozen bizarre phone messages did not tip her off that something was fishy when she got home, and my Sis never let on. She was baffled.

Two weeks later, the friend visits Sis in Washington DC - hundreds of miles away - and Sis tips me off they would be arriving at 11PM. SO Phillip calls friend at Sis's house at 11PM and asks for friend. Sis hands her the phone, "It's for you." Phillip then starts peading with friend to return the videos. "Why are you calling me here?" "I'm dedicated to my job." SHe STILL doesn't get that she is being hoaxed, while Sis is rolling in the aisles in the background. We had to carefully explain it to her. "OK, how would Phillip know where you were, let alone the number?"

I did get a mysterious postcard a month or so later, unsigned other than "Thinking of you" with the message "I hate you, really" Postmarked Hawaii. I am pretty sure....

ANother fun thing is when yuo get a friend's machine, at the beep assume your best "announcer" voice and say, "...the ten thousand dollars, so better luck next time on Dialing for Dollars." And hang up.

I used to call a friend at work, and if someone offered to take a message I would reply, "Tell him his attorney called about his failure to appear in court today."

SKY
2005-Apr-03, 07:46 AM
I used to call a friend at work, and if someone offered to take a message I would reply, "Tell him his attorney called about his failure to appear in court today."

:lol: I may have to steal that one. That's funny.

Candy
2005-Apr-03, 12:11 PM
I think it is Hertz that has a cow as a mascot, and we do promotions with them. I noticed this life size cow in the main office of our department while strolling one night. I brought in my digital camera to work the next night.

I had to drag that big old huge thing just to move it. I put it in our Director's office sitting propped up with it's feet on the desk. I took about 10 photos. I then put it back where I found it.

I had to print the photos from home. I laid them on the Director's desk the next night with a note. Note read: I just wanted you to know what happens in your office at night when you leave. Unsigned.

I was then on Vacation for 7 days. I came back, and asked a co-worker if the Director had found any photos on his desk. The co-worker said, "Yes... did you leave those?" Co-worker said Director kept accusing everyone of doing it. Co-worker said everyone thought it was so funny.

I love doing these kind of things. :lol:

Candy
2005-Apr-07, 04:13 PM
Again, not a practical joke (thanks to Grendl for reminding me).

For Christmas last year, I bought bottles of Boone's Farm for all my co-workers. I wrapped them in very expensive casings. I didn't put a card on the gifts. For some reason, everyone knew they were from me. :-?

Enzp
2005-Apr-08, 06:51 AM
Wow, that brings back college. Regular apple or strawberry blush?

SKY
2005-Apr-12, 08:56 AM
I read a good one that I forgot to add here (hopefully I didn't read it here in this thread, because I don't remember where I read it). It's a good computer prank to pull on someone preferably with little computer knowledge.

Take a photo copy of the desktop (press Print Screen) then past it to your "Paint" program. From there you should be able to "save as" a JPEG file. Save the file and exit the program. Take all the icons on the subjects desktop and remove them (place them in a folder or such) then change the desktop wallpaper to the picture you saved. Last, drop the task bar so only the fake one is showing.

The desktop will look exactly as they left it, but if they try to click on any of the icons or the task bar they will get nothing. I haven't found that unsuspecting person yet, but I'll tell you when I do :D .

Nicolas
2005-Apr-12, 09:44 AM
Small problems with this ^^^^^^ joke:

-you still see your mouse becoming a stretch arrow when you hit the bottom of the screen.
-pressing the windows key opens the task bar.
-you can't delete "my computer" from your desktop if I'm correct.

I haven't read the thread, so it might be in here already:

*create a new file on the desktop.
*rename it to "these 18967753 files" (no extension).
select the file, press delete.
*On your screen, you get the message "are you sure you want to delete these 18967753 files?"
*drag this dialog box over the file to make the file invisible.

When the owner of the PC returns, he'll be VERY quick to press "no" :).

MassAstro
2005-Apr-12, 10:25 AM
One of my favorite things to do is to 'short straw' an unsuspecting victim by cutting a straw really, really short and just barely sticking it into a frozen beverage, where it appears to be the normal length. Great fun.

Also, at work, I like to give my boss heartburn by carrying empty boxes around acting like they are very heavy... "please take this from me... I can't hold it any longer".... LOL he is so gullible 8)

jfribrg
2005-Apr-12, 12:11 PM
I read a good one that I forgot to add here (hopefully I didn't read it here in this thread, because I don't remember where I read it). It's a good computer prank to pull on someone preferably with little computer knowledge.

Take a photo copy of the desktop (press Print Screen) then past it to your "Paint" program. From there you should be able to "save as" a JPEG file. Save the file and exit the program. Take all the icons on the subjects desktop and remove them (place them in a folder or such) then change the desktop wallpaper to the picture you saved. Last, drop the task bar so only the fake one is showing.

The desktop will look exactly as they left it, but if they try to click on any of the icons or the task bar they will get nothing. I haven't found that unsuspecting person yet, but I'll tell you when I do :D .

Nice joke. Next time I feel like getting fired, I will try it.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-12, 12:17 PM
On office islands, just linking your monitor to your neighbour's pc and vice versa is nice as well :)

Welcome MassAstro!!

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 12:27 PM
Sometimes when I get off an elevator, as the doors are opening I'll act like I'm prying them open (I've got it down to where it's pretty convincing). As I walk away I'll just casually mention to those waiting for the car to be careful. Most don't get on.

When I worked as an auto mechanic, and most cars still had condensors as part of their ignition, we would charge them up then casually hand it to somebody. When they touched the lead they would get a nice little zap. Kind of a high-tech joy buzzer.

As a pizza cook, I occasssionally de-stocked the pizza assembly area if the next folks on were jerks.

As a bartender I once had this really drunk guy sucking down too many vodka sours. I made the last couple with almost no vodka. We were all amused that every once in a while he'd pick up his head, take a sip, then crash on the bar again. Finally. he finished off one of the weak drinks, raises up with great effort and blurts out drunkenly - "Gimme anudder drink, and put some vodka in it this time." We all had a riotous laugh.

As a newbie in a machine shop, I got sent on a wild goose chase looking for the Metal Stretcher. I got suspicious after about a dozen stops because some guys were looking in places where something small would be stored, others were looking where something big would be kept. Finally, one of the old farts smiles and tells me to turn around. The entire shop was following my search and broke out in full-blown belly laughter. They said I went further in my search than anybody ever had. What can I say; I'm a diligent worker - and was glad to have amused them.

I mentioned the science experiments in the concession stand in another thread.

I took the red bits out of some variety of dry dog food and pretended they were a snack food; I called them Munchos (before the real thing with that name existed). One of the delivery guys ate several pieces and commented on how good they were. As he's standing there eating them one of the other guys comes by the counter dragging the rest of the freshly opened 50# bag, and you could see the red bits. The delivery guy says "What you got there?" and I say "Munchos!" and we all start laughing. He said it was a good thing we were friends or he would've ripped my arm off and beat me with it.

On April Fools my boss crazy-glued a silver dollar to the tile floor of our gas station lobby. Whenever someone came in we'd pretend to be looking away, they'd bend down to pick it up and find it glued down and we'd all holler April Fools and have a good laugh. Then this very large man comes in and we do the routine. As he finds out it's stuck we all holler and start laughing, but only for a couple seconds. He reaches into his pocket, pulls out a good sized locking blade knife, and chips the coin loose. We were all very respectfully quiet as he left.

So many pranks, so little time.

Moose
2005-Apr-12, 12:46 PM

Yeah, that's a good one. A variant on it is to do the same thing to a PC user, except using a screenshot taken from a Mac desktop.

To really make this work, you also need to hide the start menu. Dragging it to the top (or side) of the screen, then adjusting the monitor to nudge the line off the viewable portion of the screen.

----

At a previous job, the IT department absolutely nailed one of the designers, a "power user". Let's call him "Dave".

One of the office policies was that beta software was not to be installed on any development machine, without extensive testing by the IT dept. So of course Dave installs the original beta for IE 6.0.

The IT department came in that night and shrunk his hard drive partition ten percent. Then again the next night.

So finally Dave notices his shrinking hard drive, and he's cringing about bringing this up with IT, and likely getting his wrists smacked in the process.

IT turns up the pressure by sending around a cautionary email with two (real) virus warnings and a fake caution about the IE 6.0 beta, describing the symptoms of what Dave was seeing.

He panics at this point and runs for IT. He confesses to having installed the IE beta, and we tell him there's apparently no fix at that time. (The progs aided and abetted by talking about how IE would modify the partition table to create a separate cache, but would fail to detect it's already done so, and do it again. And again. Etc.)

IT keeps shrinking his hard drive over the next day or two, and Dave's hard drive is getting pretty cramped by this point.

We next put up a fake web page about a workaround to disable the "bug", rig up a fake "forwarded" email, then got someone from another department to make sure Dave got it.

The page instructed him to open a (fake) .dll file in notepad (which should have been a dead giveaway, but wasn't). It was a renamed .ini file. He scrolls down the file to the variable he was "supposed" to change.

The variable contained "Dave is a weenie!"

And yeah, the penny dropped at that point. *grin* Oh man, that was fun.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-12, 12:50 PM

Yeah, that's a good one. A variant on it is to do the same thing to a PC user, except using a screenshot taken from a Mac desktop.

To really make this work, you also need to hide the start menu. Dragging it to the top (or side) of the screen, then adjusting the monitor to nudge the line off the viewable portion of the screen.

That would solve the mouse becoming a stretch arrow, but still you'd have My Computer on the desktop.
And when you press the windows kkey, hoppa there's the start menu.

Moose
2005-Apr-12, 01:01 PM

That would solve the mouse becoming a stretch arrow, but still you'd have My Computer on the desktop.
And when you press the windows kkey, hoppa there's the start menu.

You can drag that icon (along with the folder you've copied all other icons into) to the edge of the screen you'd put the start menu. It vanishes off the edge as well.

There's a substantial subset of users who aren't aware of the windows button (or only vaguely so).

It probably wouldn't do more than surprise and amuse a techie, but my office is full of people who this would string along for a while.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-12, 01:23 PM
The computer challenged are easily pranked :)

SKY
2005-Apr-12, 04:13 PM

Nice joke. Next time I feel like getting fired, I will try it.

:roll:

SKY
2005-Apr-12, 11:34 PM
To really make this work, you also need to hide the start menu.

That's what I meant by dropping the "Task Bar" so only the pictured one is shown. :)

At a previous job, the IT department absolutely nailed one of the designers, a "power user". Let's call him "Dave".

One of the office policies was that beta software was not to be installed on any development machine, without extensive testing by the IT dept. So of course Dave installs the original beta for IE 6.0.

The IT department came in that night and shrunk his hard drive partition ten percent. Then again the next night.

So finally Dave notices his shrinking hard drive, and he's cringing about bringing this up with IT, and likely getting his wrists smacked in the process.

IT turns up the pressure by sending around a cautionary email with two (real) virus warnings and a fake caution about the IE 6.0 beta, describing the symptoms of what Dave was seeing.

He panics at this point and runs for IT. He confesses to having installed the IE beta, and we tell him there's apparently no fix at that time. (The progs aided and abetted by talking about how IE would modify the partition table to create a separate cache, but would fail to detect it's already done so, and do it again. And again. Etc.)

IT keeps shrinking his hard drive over the next day or two, and Dave's hard drive is getting pretty cramped by this point.

We next put up a fake web page about a workaround to disable the "bug", rig up a fake "forwarded" email, then got someone from another department to make sure Dave got it.

The page instructed him to open a (fake) .dll file in notepad (which should have been a dead giveaway, but wasn't). It was a renamed .ini file. He scrolls down the file to the variable he was "supposed" to change.

The variable contained "Dave is a weenie!"

And yeah, the penny dropped at that point. *grin* Oh man, that was fun.

That is funny. :lol:

mickal555
2005-Apr-13, 07:18 AM
Sometimes when I get off an elevator, as the doors are opening I'll act like I'm prying them open (I've got it down to where it's pretty convincing). As I walk away I'll just casually mention to those waiting for the car to be careful. Most don't get on.

I stand really close nose to nose with the door, so when it opeans it give people a real fright.

It's good fun to do that to someone as they wake up too.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-13, 11:53 AM
I once was running through the station with a banana box filled with (let me think, what was inside) audio equipment, maybe books. I can't remember. To get to my platform, I had to get passed a group of 65+ men who had a fine day in Antwerp and some drinks. They saw me (young guy) coming with that large banana box (which clearly held something else) and you could just almost hear them thinking up smart lines in their head.

So when I approached them, I sped up a little bit to ruin their timing and loudly said "'Excuse me, bananas" like I was some servant. Not really a practical joke, but at least I left them with nothing to say :). And I could easily pass :).

Candy
2005-Apr-13, 12:14 PM
Just to be fiesty, when I worked in Indianapolis Reservations, there was a lady sitting in the Operations area. Everytime she would leave her position, I would call her phone line. By the time she would reach the telephone, I would hang up. After about 5 times, she finally realized it was me. Probably, because I was laughing so hard. I don't know why, but I just thought it was funny. :lol:

Time to go work out with Sgt Dan. Now, that's a practical joke in itself. :wink:

Maksutov
2005-Apr-13, 12:14 PM
Back in my days as a freshman in college, quick-setting epoxy had just been made commercially available.

In those days we had things called "housemothers" who oversaw the antics of the dormitory. That was something we put up with until moving into the frat house.

Our particular housemother was a real pain. Therefore it was necessary to do something that would recalibrate her. The epoxy was the answer.

We waited until she had retired at the usual time. Then we ran a nice bead of the stuff into the gap between her door and the door frame.

She had no lavatory in her room. Therefore it was necessary for her to use one of the "visitor" lavatories off the first floor hall.

Later that night, we heard some really exquisite bangng, howling, and protests from her room. Finally we were entertained by the sound of the facility engineers (the janitors) trying to enter through her door. They finally wound up removing her via her room's one window.

After a long investigation, the dorm residents were warned of stern reprimands, but the perpetrators were never identified.

He, he... 8)

Nicolas
2005-Apr-13, 12:33 PM
When he was young, one of my brothers thought it was an excellent practical joke to hide behind a bush with a stick, wait till a friend comes racing by on his bike -my bike- and put the stick in his front wheel. Nobody got killed.

jfribrg
2005-Apr-13, 04:41 PM
When he was young, one of my brothers thought it was an excellent practical joke to hide behind a bush with a stick, wait till a friend comes racing by on his bike -my bike- and put the stick in his front wheel. Nobody got killed.

Thats not a practical joke. That's just plain mean-spirited.

The rule in my house for practical jokes is that it has to be harmless, and must involve creativity or ingenuity. I've already posted these on previous pages of this thread, but here are a few that I was personally involved in, either as joker or jokee:

1) Set all the clocks in the house ahead 3 hours.
2) Tie a string around the spray hose at the kitchen sink and point it so that the next person to turn on the water will get soaked. Then remember that you did it and don't use the sink until someone else does.
3) If you run out of ideas, you can always buy a whoopie cushion.

Candy
2005-Apr-13, 04:47 PM

Except when Adam Sandler does it. 8-[

Nicolas
2005-Apr-13, 05:39 PM

The rule in my house for practical jokes is that it has to be harmless, and must involve creativity or ingenuity. I've already posted these on previous pages of this thread, but here are a few that I was personally involved in, either as joker or jokee:

1) Set all the clocks in the house ahead 3 hours.
2) Tie a string around the spray hose at the kitchen sink and point it so that the next person to turn on the water will get soaked. Then remember that you did it and don't use the sink until someone else does.
3) If you run out of ideas, you can always buy a whoopie cushion.

Of course it's not a practical joke. That was just his interpretation of the concept when he was like 7 years old. That "thought it was an excellent joke" was meant as sarcasm... 8-[

SKY
2005-Apr-18, 04:36 AM
I just remembered another one that I read a long time ago:

Popcorn kernals! They can be used for a variaty of jokes. You can sprinkle them in your friends toaster, Hide some in a friends oven...I read one story where a person was at a friends house for a BBQ (Hambugers) and he was able to quietly stuff a bunch into a hamburger patty before his friend put it on the grill.

OK, so the toaster oven may be cruel (do to kernals getting stuck in places not easy to get them out of) but I think the other two are funny and less harmful. 8-[

Nicolas
2005-Apr-18, 04:08 PM
...less harmful? 8-[

SKY
2005-Apr-18, 04:23 PM
...less harmful? 8-[

Oops...fixed. That's what I get for posting late. :)

teddyv
2005-Apr-18, 09:45 PM
Not a practical joke easy to replicate, but was hilarious.

I used to work in warehouse that supplied photocopiers (among other things. Old ones in and new ones out. The old ones would be gone over than shipped back to the maker.

One of the drivers was always a little tightly wound so the two "techs" arranged something. One of them came flying in on a forklift from the dock and crashed the forks into a machine. The second looked up in horror and yelled at him that the machine was to go to a client tomorrow, when in fact it was an old obsolete machine. The driver absolutely freaked out (he was French Canadian, so the language was colourful).

sarongsong
2007-Aug-31, 01:42 PM
"What does that spell?!" :)
August 31 2007
A high school student who tricked football fans from a crosstown rival into holding up signs...Darby supporters were told the message would read "Go Darby."...
WTOP (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=456&sid=1235602)

jja
2007-Sep-03, 06:21 PM
I have been a practical joker for a long time. Here's a few that I have done.

Fun with Firecrackers

I was about seven and loved to play with firecrackers, and I had pulled a few apart to see what was inside. I thus had some leftover fuses and some of the decorative paper that is wrapped around the plain cardboard cylinder, and I conceived a prank to play on my dad, who was a volunteer firefighter.

I took a small plastic tube of the same diameter as a firecracker, glued the paper around it, and glued a fuse into one end. I waited until my dad was settled watching TV, put the concern into an ashtray and lit it, and walked into the room in front of him...

The next thing I knew, I was on the floor, my back pressed into the upright piano, my face pressed into the white t-shirt on my father's back. He had thrown his body in between me and the firecracker to protect me, and there we stayed until the thing fizzled out.

I wasn't punished, but I took it easy on him with the practical jokes in the future.

Fun with Pull Pops

A pull pop is a tiny cylinder of paper wrapped around a string and containing friction-sensitive explosive. Pull the string from both ends and it pops. They are often used to power party favors (such as those little plastic bottles that shoot paper streamers when you pull the string), but by themselves they are an ideal tool for the determined joker.

I have a kit that consists of a set of pull pops, thumb tacks, paper clips, cable ties and tape, all of which assist in affixing the pull pops in situations where just knotting the string won't suffice. I have installed them in desk drawers, phone cords, and under locked doors -- anywhere that a tension can be created.

My friend Blake had a lamp of the kind that can be pulled down from the ceiling - it has a spring pulley in an oblong housing with cord on both sides. I attached a pull pop to this cord and waited. He rarely used the lamp, so it was at least a year or so until he called me to deliver news of the payoff. %?)

Blake is the co-owner of an ISP where I worked for a few years. I used many pull pops on my cube mates, and once delivered one in a novel manner. I used a plastic desk widget as a weight, tied the pull pop to it, and tied the other end to a long string. I then threw the thing over my neighbor's head and yanked the string back. It popped right over his head with impeccable timing.

Fun with Flash

After pranking Blake's door one day, he got me with "What's wrong with this picture (http://www.tekzoned.com/whatswrong/)?" which was a new thing at the time. (For the mercifully uninitiated, it's really a Flash movie that makes you stare closely at it until a horrid face appears with a scream to terrify you.) I jumped back at least two feet, but then got to thinking.

I was working on a pretty representation of the ISP's network map at the time, and it was a simple job to edit the Flash movie so that it showed the network map as the teaser image and a Photoshopped version of my face as the scary image. I put it on the preview page one day, then went to Blake's office to "discuss some small issue with the network map." And he wasn't there.

I then headed for the other partner's office, and heard the scream in the hallway... It seemed that Blake and he were getting ready to show the map to a client, and fortunately set it off prematurely. I caught no flak over this, but I quickly put the page back in order.

That's enough for now, I think. %?)

tdvance
2007-Sep-04, 05:54 PM
On one of the loacal radio stations they pull an April Fools prank every year.

In the town of Moorefield, WV, back in the early 1980s, there used to be a historic building, the Old Mill, by the river, one of the larger buildings in the small town and, being on Main Street, a well-known landmark for the area. My dad owned it at the time (having paid a good $5000.00 for it--he later would sell it for a nice $30,000, just in time since the town soon tore it down to build a levee) but had it filled with quite a bit of furniture, appliances, etc. he was storing, as well as a few closets he was renting out to others for their storage. The local radio station decided to play a joke on the whole town, though it ended up on my dad. They announced, "The Old Mill in South Moorefield is burning down. Will South Moorefield be saved?" while the family was listening.

My dad didn't quite get the joke and raced into town rather upset, then called the station to complain when he found there was no fire.

The station then announced that they had been getting too many calls, and that it was all a joke.