PDA

View Full Version : IAU Throws Pluto a Bone: "Plutoid"

Fraser
2008-Jun-11, 06:50 PM
Almost two years after the International Astronomical Union (IAU) General Assembly demoted Pluto from a "real" planet to the new category of dwarf planets, the IAU, as promised, has decided on a name for trans-Neptunian dwarf planets similar to Pluto. The name "Plutoid" was proposed and accepted by the IAU at its recent meeting in [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/11/iau-throws-pluto-a-bone-plutoids/)

Argos
2008-Jun-11, 06:56 PM
Ok. We´re all waiting for Ceresoids...

hhEb09'1
2008-Jun-11, 07:45 PM
I nominate Hermoid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/69230_Hermes) for the ones we can't fiind :)

Probably because they're out around Uranus.

Argos
2008-Jun-11, 07:48 PM
Or should it be 'hermesoids'? :)

hhEb09'1
2008-Jun-11, 08:20 PM
OK, let's see which one everybody likes

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jun-11, 09:46 PM
What a shame 'Plutino' was already taken. 'Plutoid' sounds a bit meh. Might as well have called them 'Plutards'. :p

trinitree88
2008-Jun-11, 10:16 PM
What a shame 'Plutino' was already taken. 'Plutoid' sounds a bit meh. Might as well have called them 'Plutards'. :p

Disinfo. Actually I like Plutards the best..:shifty::dance::lol:

laurele
2008-Jun-11, 11:33 PM
Just when it seems the IAU cannot get any more ridiculous, they prove us wrong. Plutoids? Come on! How many members took part in this decision? It had to be less than the 424 or four percent who voted in Prague because this was not even done at a General Assembly. As Alan Stern accurately described, it's just another backroom deal that reveals how out of touch the IAU really is. When you have to create categories like "ceroids" and "plutoids," it's clear the focus has been lost in ridiculous minutia. The correct solution is to simply assign ice dwarfs as a subcategory of planets for small icy bodies that don't clear their orbits. These astronomers may be smart, but they don't understand the first thing about language, and they are bungling all their attempts to communicate astronomy with the public. I hope Stern goes ahead with forming a rival organization.