PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek XI (Star Trek 0) rumour mill

jokergirl
2008-Jun-16, 11:37 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

So, what do you think? I think Zachary Quinto is a good choice for a younger Spock, judging from his performance as Sylar.
Don't know much of the other actors, to be honest.

;)

Tuckerfan
2008-Jun-16, 11:47 AM
I wonder how Shawn of the Engine Room, err, I mean Scotty, is going to handle the zombis that runamok? Phaser shot to the head? ;)

NGCHunter
2008-Jun-16, 05:24 PM
I think any attempted reboot of the star trek franchise is a bad idea at this time. It's still too soon after the failure of enterprise. The hardcore fans, incensed by the way enterpise took canon lightly, are still turned off to prequels, and even though it goes back to the original characters, the unavoidable introduction of new actors will take away most of the "nostalgia factor" that sold the new Rocky, Rambo, and Jones films.

Doodler
2008-Jun-16, 10:10 PM
Personally, I'd say to hell with the old fans. Let'em sell their costumes and fake ears, then face the Sun outside of their parents' basement for the first time in years. Rejuvenate the franchise entirely with a new generation of fans without the psychological baggage.

Delvo
2008-Jun-16, 10:49 PM
Personally, I'd say to hell with the old fans. Let'em sell their costumes and fake ears, then face the Sun outside of their parents' basement for the first time in years. Rejuvenate the franchise entirely with a new generation of fans without the psychological baggage.Your prejudicial, stereotyping disdain for Star Trek fans is too common in the general population for there to be a new generation of fans. People think of that image as what it is to be a Star Trek fan, and don't want to be like that or be involved in anything that they'd have to keep secret in order to avoid being thought of as such, so they will not be Star Trek fans. And nothing about the new movie, and nothing that the movie's makers could ever do or say, will ever change their minds.

Just a couple of days ago, a friend of mine told me about a woman he knew who would ask a guy several questions before dating him, and one of them was the name of the captain of the Enterprise. If you could answer at all, you were disqualified. And that wasn't even surprising; it's normal. In a population with so many bigots like her and you in it, the makers of a new Star Trek movie can't afford to discard the established Star Trek fans as you suggest, because that would leave them with nobody.

Doodler
2008-Jun-17, 01:28 AM
Those ears cost a bit, didn't they?

Inferno
2008-Jun-17, 03:49 AM
I'm not very interested in seeing this. JJ Abrams Tv shows don't really do anything for me. Unless this gets great reviews, I'll be giving it a miss.

jokergirl
2008-Jun-17, 12:25 PM
Just a couple of days ago, a friend of mine told me about a woman he knew who would ask a guy several questions before dating him, and one of them was the name of the captain of the Enterprise. If you could answer at all, you were disqualified. And that wasn't even surprising; it's normal. In a population with so many bigots like her and you in it, the makers of a new Star Trek movie can't afford to discard the established Star Trek fans as you suggest, because that would leave them with nobody.

Can I kick her out of my gender, please? I'd ask "Which one of them?", and damn, I'm FEMALE.
And since being female shouldn't actually disqualify me from being a geek, I'll admit I'm not even that much of a Star Trek fan. I just happen to watch it if there's nothing else on TV (and seeing as I don't have a TV right now, that's not that often).

I think that this prequel sounds like it will be done with a lot more care and actual interest in the continuity than the Enterprise disaster. After all, if you're to judge from the recent comic books and novels made-into-movies, Hollywood has finally started to finetune what it is that geeks want to see in such things (not all with success, but definitely a higher percentage than it used to be).
On the other hand, this IS Star Trek...

...ah well. We'll wait and see.

;)

SeanF
2008-Jun-17, 02:24 PM
Just a couple of days ago, a friend of mine told me about a woman he knew who would ask a guy several questions before dating him, and one of them was the name of the captain of the Enterprise. If you could answer at all, you were disqualified.
If knowing the answers to those questions makes someone unacceptable, and she herself knows the answers...

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jun-17, 02:31 PM
If knowing the answers to those questions makes someone unacceptable, and she herself knows the answers...It makes a guy unacceptable to her. As long as she's not trying to date herself... :p

Delvo
2008-Jun-17, 03:01 PM
Asking the question does not imply that she knows an answer.

SeanF
2008-Jun-17, 03:24 PM
Asking the question does not imply that she knows an answer.
Ah, so she doesn't only reject those who know the answer, she also rejects those who pretend to know (or think they know) the answer.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jun-17, 05:13 PM
Well, the Trek franchise has been sputtering, as of late.

Maybe after 40+ years of production, e 're-imagining' is worth a shot. And new blood in writing. production, etc, would also be good.

I love Trek. But my enthusiasm was waned because the more recent movies and series have faltered for years.

I'm jazzed aobut the new film, if for no other reason than to see Trek reborn.

Jason
2008-Jun-17, 05:24 PM
See it first, then judge it.

If someone is asking me to chose between completely giving up something I love or giving up her, then she's not worth it. If she's willing to compromise somewhere between then we might have something.

Jim
2008-Jun-17, 06:38 PM
Just a couple of days ago, a friend of mine told me about a woman he knew who would ask a guy several questions before dating him, and one of them was the name of the captain of the Enterprise. ...

Why, Ronald Horton (http://www.enterprise.navy.mil/Capt_Horton_Bio.pdf), of course.

(I guess she doesn't like Navy types.)

novaderrik
2008-Jun-18, 10:53 AM
Well, the Trek franchise has been sputtering, as of late.

Maybe after 40+ years of production, e 're-imagining' is worth a shot. And new blood in writing. production, etc, would also be good.

I love Trek. But my enthusiasm was waned because the more recent movies and series have faltered for years.

I'm jazzed aobut the new film, if for no other reason than to see Trek reborn.

wanna place bets on whether Q shows up and drags the Borg with him? or maybe Data shows up somehow- remember, his head was buried under San Francisco at that time...