PDA

View Full Version : I like this quote!!

Paul Leeks
2008-Jun-16, 11:23 PM
" I believe in science,and I am confident that a science that can boldly contemplate the origin of the universe,the nature of physical reality 10 (-33) seconds after the Big Bang,anthropic quantum nonlocality, and parallel universes,can come to terms with the implications of parapsychological findings-whatever they may turn out to be.There is no danger for science in honestly confronting these issues; it can only be enriched by doing so."

Charles Honorton

from the book Psychic Wars, Parapsychology in Espionage-and beyond(Elmar R Gruber)

great book!!

Cougar
2008-Jun-17, 12:21 AM
" I believe in science,and I am confident that a science that can boldly contemplate the origin of the universe,the nature of physical reality 10 (-33) seconds after the Big Bang,anthropic quantum nonlocality, and parallel universes,can come to terms with the implications of parapsychological findings-whatever they may turn out to be.There is no danger for science in honestly confronting these issues; it can only be enriched by doing so." -- Charles Honorton

It's got that "when did you stop beating your wife" quality to it. It implies that scientists have some problem "coming to terms with" some undefined "parapsychological findings." Of course, there is no such problem, and I would personally add, there are no parapsychological findings, despite what might be viewed on TV. :rolleyes:

sarongsong
2008-Jun-17, 02:00 AM
...10 (-33) seconds...?

2008-Jun-17, 02:13 AM
?

1E-33, 10^-33, 10-33 seconds. A very brief time.

1/(1033)

Kaptain K
2008-Jun-17, 03:31 AM
A very brief time.
"A history of a very brief time" ... a very short book! :lol:

jokergirl
2008-Jun-17, 11:34 AM
Agreed.
Scientists don't have problems coming to terms with things that are hard to see or to prove. Just think dark energy, or neutrinos.
There is an effect on the universe from something we cannot see, or detect, yet. Yet there is an effect, and we are going to try our hardest to find out what it is caused by. No matter what explanation turns out to be right in the end (anything from measurement orders to a completely new form of energy) we have already "come to terms" with something that does not work like the world we are accustomed to.
Now if there were the same to say about all that alleged "paranormal" stuff, we would be investigating it in the same way (I don't see any reason why not, after all it could be useful). So far, nothing with sufficient information above anecdotal accounts has passed Occam's razor.

;)

Jim
2008-Jun-17, 08:44 PM
1E-33, 10^-33, 10-33 seconds. A very brief time.

1/(1033)

Misprint? 10-43?

Paul Beardsley
2008-Jun-17, 09:50 PM
It's got that "when did you stop beating your wife" quality to it. It implies that scientists have some problem "coming to terms with" some undefined "parapsychological findings." Of course, there is no such problem, and I would personally add, there are no parapsychological findings, despite what might be viewed on TV. :rolleyes:

Great reply, Cougar!

I was going to say that the "when did you stop beating your wife" aspect isn't quite accurate, but provides a neat alternative to "strawman". But on reflection, I think it is accurate.

As jokergirl pointed out, when there are any findings, scientists will investigate them!

mike alexander
2008-Jun-18, 02:02 AM
Fuchs du hast die ganzfeld stolen!

jokergirl
2008-Jun-18, 10:52 AM
What would a fox do with a parapsychology experiment?

mike alexander
2008-Jun-18, 04:50 PM
What would a fox do with a parapsychology experiment?

There's an old German nursery rhyme:

Fuchs, du hast die Gans gestohlen,
gib sie wieder her, gib sie wieder her!
Sonst wird dich der Jäger holen,
mit dem Schießgewehr!
mit dem Schießgewehr!

And Charles Honorton is famous for his 'ganzfeld' parapsychology experiments, so I made a bad pun, substituting 'die Ganzfeld stohlen' (also bad German) for 'die Gans gestohlen'.

jokergirl
2008-Jun-18, 07:36 PM
Yes, I know. So what does a fox do with a parapsychology experiment?

;)

mike alexander
2008-Jun-18, 09:32 PM
Maybe I should have written:

Chuck du hast die ganzfeld stohlen...

And as for

So what does a fox do with a parapsychology experiment?

The answer is: Any darned thing it wants.

Maksutov
2008-Jun-19, 02:15 AM
Foxes are pretty smart. Instead of parapsychology experiments, they take them one at a time.

sarongsong
2008-Jun-19, 03:16 AM
You bet'cha!
FOX
Society For Ornithological Extermination, also devoted to blackmail and sabotage. Extremely dangerous. The general public should not approach any member of FOX. If you have information on the whereabouts of FOX agents please contact the VFI or the VUE NOW using the emergency internet line (http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.melia/fox.html).

btinternet (http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.melia/gloss1.html)