PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a woo-woo who can argue?

freddo
2003-Sep-24, 03:41 AM
I was killing some time, reading this (http://www.rense.com/general30/deby.htm) little gem. :roll:

It is strewn with about every logical fallacy known to man. Strawman, circular argument, non sequitur it's got it all. :evil:

It got me thinking though. Has anyone read an alternative, or fringe theory like chemtrails, apollohoax, pX or whatever, that was proposed in a structured and logical manner? :-?

Everything I've ever come across makes it's case so poorly I have no trouble picking holes through it - factually and logically. Often my only problem is finding the time to cover them all!! :o

What do you guys/gals think? :-k

irony
2003-Sep-24, 03:42 AM
They argue... but they do it by repeating their own point of view over and over, not listening to a word you say.

freddo
2003-Sep-24, 03:46 AM
They argue... but they do it by repeating their own point of view over and over, not listening to a word you say.

Man: I came here for a good argument.

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't, you came here for an argument.

Man: Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a definite proposition.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is. It isn't just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, an argument is an intellectual process... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-24, 03:49 AM
Ah... Monty Python. Wonderful!

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 07:58 AM
I was killing some time, reading this (http://www.rense.com/general30/deby.htm) little gem. :roll:

It is strewn with about every logical fallacy known to man. Strawman, circular argument, non sequitur it's got it all. :evil:

What do you guys/gals think? :-k

Chemtrails! What a hoot!

For example, in the Northeastern part of the United States, chemtrails have been a prevalent sight for some time, now. However, there, they rarely, if ever, precipitate a rainstorm. Indeed, in that part of the country, the purpose of chemtrails seems to be to forestall rainfall.

Since at least winter of 2002, that part of the country has experienced massive drought. Reservoir levels are down almost to record lows, if not actually below them! Yet, in that time, chemtrailing has been very frequent! In fact, it had become a pattern that forecasters would predict showers or even thunderstorms a couple of days ahead, then chemtrails would be seen in abundance in the sky, and, afterward, the predicted precipitation would not come! The region would be lucky if it got a misting on days when, previously, thunderstorms were forecast. This went on through most of the winter of 2002, and has begun, again, the past couple of months.

The reason for this seems to be that, in the Northeast, the purpose of chemtrails was to disturb the process that can generate a rainstorm.

So chemtrails are responsible for drought! Do people seriously believe these fantasies?

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 08:08 AM
Resurrected thread by Jkmccrann.

long live the queeb
2005-Oct-26, 09:57 AM
Quote, "In some places afflicted by chemtrails, it is reported for example that shortly after heavy rains, likely induced by the trails, will form".

Quote "However there (Northeastern US) they rarely, if ever,precipitate a rainstorm, indeed in that part of the country, the purpose of the chemtrails seems to be to forestall rainfall."

How could you begin to argue against such impecable logic.I personally blame this on the closure of many of our fine psychiatric institutions.

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 10:31 AM
Clever!

publiusr
2005-Oct-26, 09:22 PM
Resurrected thread by Jkmccrann.

The Stars Are Right.

Lianachan
2005-Oct-27, 09:48 AM
Think of all the animals you've ever heard about
like rhinoc'ruses and tigers cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a woo-woo that can think?

Think!

(with apologies to Pink Panther fans, if any)