PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

mcbain
2008-Jun-19, 01:30 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thecuriouscaseofbenjaminbutton/

Looks like another Fincher masterpeice. Big fan of his work, in all its facets.

Nowhere Man
2008-Jun-21, 01:56 AM
They're making a movie of "Benjamin Button"? I wonder how they'll screw it up?

Fred

sarongsong
2008-Jun-21, 04:32 AM
Writers:
Eric Roth (screenplay)
F. Scott Fitzgerald (story)
...played by Brad Pitt...who...is born an old man and ages in reverse...At age 50, he falls in love with a 30-year-old woman, Kate Blanchett...
Release date:
USA 19 December 2008
IMDb
***Possible spoilers at this link***Wow---an F. Scott story I'd never heard of---til now. :)

ravens_cry
2008-Jun-21, 03:00 PM
I dont think it would make a good movie, or at least it would be extremely difficult to pull off. Words can flow and be ambigues and create things that can not be seen. Movies are images, and images are concrete. Something like this could almost seem goofy if seen. My first thought when I read the quick synopsis was "Ouch mom, that must have hurt." Reading it however, would be differant. Take for example a book I am reading at the moment, called "The Uplift War" two of the characters, and one in praticular uses it much more, is a limited shapeshifter. It describes the characters tranformations in a way that seems facinating, yet natural. However in a movie, it wouldn't describe, movies shouldn't describe, it would show. And showing it would be grotesque, frightening even. The same I fear for this movie. On the other hand I could be wrong.
I hope I am wrong.

hhEb09'1
2008-Jun-21, 03:35 PM
I dont think it would make a good movie, or at least it would be extremely difficult to pull off. When I read the story, I thought, this could make a nice movie :)

ravens_cry
2008-Jun-21, 03:56 PM
Glad to here it. I haven't. This is all extrapulation to the point of over doing it. I hope they focus on the emotional story rather then oogling up the special effects.

hhEb09'1
2008-Jun-21, 04:15 PM
The short story skips over the transitions, mostly, so it could all be done with makeup and different actors. His "aging" rate is the same as ours, so it wouldn't make for captivating film, any more than watching us age would :)

mcbain
2008-Jun-22, 02:23 AM
I beg to differ.

If your familiar with David Fincher's other films like Seven, Fight Club, Panic Room and Zodiac; you'll find he's one of the most competent Directors behind the Camera today. His use of narrative and dramatisation is exemplary in the actors he casts and the scripts he selects. His choice of Cinematographer and colorist are great, complimentary to the story and vivid in detail, while his use of special effects is second to none. He cut his teeth on Star Wars, and his use of effects is best viewed in Panic Room, where starting in the basement his camera travels the length of the house, passing through the handle of a coffee cup and several floors to the roof in one flowing, seemingly un CGI take.

Ill admit I work in the Film Industry and the guy is a legend.

I know youve been floored by expectations of grandeur and been sucker punched by Films before, but not on Fincher's watch.

I for one cant wait.

mcbain
2008-Jun-22, 02:28 AM
I dont think it would make a good movie, or at least it would be extremely difficult to pull off. Words can flow and be ambigues and create things that can not be seen. Movies are images, and images are concrete. Something like this could almost seem goofy if seen. My first thought when I read the quick synopsis was "Ouch mom, that must have hurt." Reading it however, would be differant. Take for example a book I am reading at the moment, called "The Uplift War" two of the characters, and one in praticular uses it much more, is a limited shapeshifter. It describes the characters tranformations in a way that seems facinating, yet natural. However in a movie, it wouldn't describe, movies shouldn't describe, it would show. And showing it would be grotesque, frightening even. The same I fear for this movie. On the other hand I could be wrong.
I hope I am wrong.

I dont have time to respond, but if you think a film is a 2-D experience, I d say you've watched films, but you never actually listened to a film.

Brownie Points for the first guess what movie thats from.

sarongsong
2008-Jun-22, 06:37 AM
For those who don't have the accepted version of QuickTime needed to watch the trailer in Post #1:
June 18, 2008
...summing up the basic story in almost two minutes...You can watch the trailer in HD...above.
The Screening Log (http://www.screeninglog.com/journal/2008/6/18/benjamin-button-trailer-now-officially-online.html)