PDA

View Full Version : Are the colonies in the BSG universe all part of the same solar sytem?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jun-19, 06:05 PM
Are the colonies in the BSG universe all part of the same solar sytem? My thoughts are that they are in different nearby solar sytems. Has this ever been explained or alluded to?

publius
2008-Jun-19, 06:18 PM
That is a good question, and one that has never been addressed in the canon of BSG. We know Caprica is a planet and it's the only planet of the 12 colonies that we've seen.

I think someone asked RDM about this and he said all the colonies are in the "same system". I'm not too fond of that because it seems highly improbable for a system to have 12 earth like planets all in the "Goldilocks Zone" of a suitable star.

That assumes one colony = one planet, of course, and we don't even know if that is so. Heck, the "system" could be some sort of binary with planets tightly bound to each star. If it would be fun if the orbital mechanics people would look and see if there's any way to have 12 habitable and stable planets in "one system", defining "system" however broadly they need to. How about moons of gas giants? ....

At any rate, based on reading between the lines in BSG canon as well as info from the "Caprica" pilot, Caprica was top dog of the Colonies, looking down on and probably oppressing all the others.

-Richard

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jun-19, 06:34 PM
colonies=terraformed worlds?

how many planets in our system could we reasonably terraform-

Mars? maybe
Venus? maybe
Moon? maybe

a possibility

publius
2008-Jun-19, 06:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Colonies

I was wrong, RDM has said one colony = one planet, and they're all in the same system. In the original series, it was indeed a binary system, with the "inner colonies" around one star and the "outer colonies" around the second one. I didn't remember that at all.

And Baltar was from Aerelon, not Tauron, which was a rural, agrarian colony/planet looked down upon by the elite colonies. Baltar referred to Aerelon as "the foodbasket" of the 12 colonies. I remember that now that I read it.

Now, according to that, Caprica, Tauron, and Virgon are the upper class colonies, while Gemenon, Sagittaron, and Aerelon are the lower class ones.

From the "Caprica" series storyline, Capricans look down upon Taurons, even though from the above info Tauron is supposed to be upper class. Apparently it was a mess of infighting and tribalism.

-Richard

publius
2008-Jun-19, 06:53 PM
Reading that reminded me of the following, which will probably be elaborated upon in the "Caprica" series.

The colonies were originally independent, with their own governments, and they fought wars amongst each other all the time, apparently. They only unified for common defense against the Cylon rebellion. "Colonial Day" is a celebration of that unification, and the one in S1 was stated as the 52nd anniversary.

The "Articles of Colonization" are reminiscent of the original Articles of Confederation amongst the states of the US, which was a much weaker union that established by the federal Constitution. And so that implies the "federal" Colonial goverment is relatively weak, with each colony maintaing a fairly independent system. There have been references to the various colonies have very different laws and procedures, which they all argue over.

-Richard

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jun-19, 07:51 PM
30 years later, and they still can't make up their minds about this?

In the original series, it was indeed a binary system, with the "inner colonies" around one star and the "outer colonies" around the second one. I didn't remember that at all.Neither did I. Where did you hear it? :confused:

Matherly
2008-Jun-19, 08:21 PM
30 years later, and they still can't make up their minds about this?

Y'know how Sci-Fi fans are...

All of these arguments have happened before. And all of them will happen again. :cool:

Certassar
2008-Jun-19, 08:23 PM
...one colony = one planet, and they're all in the same system.

That's like the Firefly universe, IIRC. Maybe the Firefly system and the BSG colony system are the same system!! Maybe Firefly didn't get cancelled, but just turned into BSG. Maybe River Tam is the fifth cylon? Whoah, cyclic!!

I'll just stop now.

publius
2008-Jun-19, 08:27 PM
Neither did I. Where did you hear it? :confused:

That's what the Wiki article linked above says. It says it was "obviously" a binary system.

A battlestarwiki page,

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Colonies_%28TOS%29

refers to it as "multi-star" system. (Apparently some novel based on the original series had a trinary system, referring to the "Twelve Colonies of the Three Suns".

-Richard

Delvo
2008-Jun-20, 02:22 AM
It would be possible to get more than one "Colony" on the same planet in some cases. For example, if Earth were colonized from elsewhere, I could picture one colony for Australia, one for the Americas, and one for Africa and Eurasia.

Launch window
2008-Jun-20, 07:18 AM
Are the colonies in the BSG universe all part of the same solar sytem?

Yes they are

Here's a geeky discussion from a Stargate bb forum
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49045

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jun-20, 01:40 PM
Yeah...but as someone pointed out "is it canon?" Where did they get their info. from?

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jun-21, 09:04 PM
Caprica was a colony unto itself. It's been implied the Tauron and Geminon, were also on separate planets. The rest, it would seem, were on moons, asteroids, etc..

They might have terraforming technology to make uninhabitable worlds more hospitable. But I'm more inclined to think of the Colonies as one good Earth-like world (or two), with smaller outer colonies on moons, dwarf planets, and asteroids.

A dozen warm earths in a single system is just nonsense. Maybe that's how they planned it, but the science won't allow it.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jun-22, 02:33 AM
That's like the Firefly universe, IIRC. Maybe the Firefly system and the BSG colony system are the same system!! Maybe Firefly didn't get cancelled, but just turned into BSG. Maybe River Tam is the fifth cylon? Whoah, cyclic!!

Well, we did see a Firefly-class ship in the miniseries. The end of the latest episode could also be consistent with Firefly universe. :)

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jun-24, 06:09 PM

I'll just stop now.

OK. That would mean the Rebels (browncoats?) are the 13th Tribe, the Reevers are Cylons that went wonky, and that somewhere ut there, Jayne(sp?) is totally befuddled as to why there's so many consarned tall blonde women who all look alike, and why none of them would 'rattle the bunk' with him.:doh: