PDA

View Full Version : "Science" Teacher Teaches Creationism and Physically Assaults Students

Tuckerfan
2008-Jun-20, 11:12 PM
Teacher burns crosses onto students. (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D91DVT200&show_article=1)
A public school teacher preached his Christian beliefs despite complaints by other teachers and administrators and used a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms, according to a report by independent investigators.

Mount Vernon Middle School teacher John Freshwater also taught creationism in his science class and was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom, the report said.

School board members were scheduled to meet Friday afternoon to discuss the findings by consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc., hired by the district to investigate. The report was released Thursday.Not looking to start an incendiary thread, but thought that this was worth posting as it is rather disturbing, if true. According to the artcle, they've had a number of complaints about the guy for at least the past 11 years.

Kaptain K
2008-Jun-21, 12:34 AM
I hope the BA picks up on this 'cause I ain't about to discuss it here!

Van Rijn
2008-Jun-21, 01:18 AM
Leaving aside the religious aspects, I want to know more about the "burning marks" angle. Unless this is completely benign physically, shouldn't that be enough to get a legal review at least?

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Jun-21, 02:02 AM
heres what is posted at pz myers website (It is one of a few websites I can get at work).
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

Tuckerfan
2008-Jun-21, 08:19 AM
Leaving aside the religious aspects, I want to know more about the "burning marks" angle. Unless this is completely benign physically, shouldn't that be enough to get a legal review at least?

Yes, it should. And its ample ammunition for a lawsuit, as well.

Van Rijn
2008-Jun-21, 09:18 AM
He's fired. From:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/ap_on_re_us/teacher_bible

School board members voted 5-0 to fire Mount Vernon Middle School science teacher John Freshwater. Board attorney David Millstone said Freshwater is entitled to a hearing to challenge the dismissal.

I was wondering just what he was using. Here are the details from:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/05/11/Zapper.ART_ART_05-11-08_B1_4JA5TI2.html?sid=101

The tool a student says his science teacher used to burn a cross on his arm comes with a warning: Never touch or come in contact with the high voltage output of this device.

When the boy's parents complained, administrators at Mount Vernon Middle School told John Freshwater, the school's eighth-grade science teacher, to lock up or remove the BD-10A High Frequency Generator from the classroom. About the same size and shape as a power screwdriver, its tip puts out up to 50,000 volts of electricity.

Science teachers use the generator to ionize gases in a test tube so that students can identify them by their glowing colors.

But Freshwater, the student's parents said, also used it to shock their son and other students, branding their forearms with a cross-shaped welt.

Apparently it left welts that would fade in a few weeks.

Damburger
2008-Jun-21, 10:38 AM
The creationism is almost a non-issue. The idea that a teacher would intentionally burn childrens skin as punishment is horrific. The teacher should've been yanked out the classroom the very first time it happened, regardless of their beliefs.

Tuckerfan
2008-Jun-21, 11:33 AM
The creationism is almost a non-issue. The idea that a teacher would intentionally burn childrens skin as punishment is horrific. The teacher should've been yanked out the classroom the very first time it happened, regardless of their beliefs.
Nothing in the linked articles describes the burning as "punishment." Given this description of his activities:
As moderator of a meeting of Christian athletes in the school, she said, Freshwater led a healing ceremony to drive Satan from an ill school visitor and asked students to distribute Bibles to other students. He was supposed to be there as an observer, the district has said.I have to wonder why he was doing this.

KaiYeves
2008-Jun-21, 05:09 PM
Yes, one can't go around shocking kids with impunity. It's just wrong.

tbm
2008-Jun-21, 05:45 PM
I would think that the guy's religious convictions are the impetus for practically everything he does, as evidenced by his previous problems. ..tbm

BigDon
2008-Jun-22, 04:13 AM
Would everybody be happier if he was a Buddhist?

"Oh, but a true Buddhist wouldn't do that!"

Correct!

You're all bright lads and ladies here. See where I'm going with this?

Donnie B.
2008-Jun-22, 11:22 AM
Would everybody be happier if he was a Buddhist?

"Oh, but a true Buddhist wouldn't do that!"

Correct!

You're all bright lads and ladies here. See where I'm going with this?
Not really, BD. But please don't elaborate, since we don't want you to get warned/suspended/banned for crossing the religion line.