PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Season (U.S.)

NEOWatcher
2008-Jun-24, 05:41 PM
Once again it is fireworks season here in the good old U. S. of A.

Time to start rolling out all those news stories of people blowing their fingers off.

But wait... Maybe not. They're too expensive.
Fireworks may be out of reach for some local communities (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=92019&catid=45)

Community fireworks are a proud tradition in Cleveland and it's suburbs, but like everything outside necessities these days, they could be a luxury some towns and individuals can't afford.

Ok; some good points in the article about towns (and licensed display artists), but they should have left the individual out of it. Especially since they fail to mention that they are illegal to use (http://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lycu/index.asp?articleid=273) in Ohio. :naughty:

Trebuchet
2008-Jun-24, 07:06 PM
I couldn't help noticing the prominent advertisement for a personal injury attorney! That's some great context-sensitive ad placement.

tommac
2008-Jun-24, 07:10 PM
When I was 10 people were blowing off fireworks ( m80s or pineapples or something ) and I was watching from across the street and either it blew up a rock or it was just the explosion and it blew my tooth in half. ( adult tooth ).

Could have been an eye.

Once again it is fireworks season here in the good old U. S. of A.

Time to start rolling out all those news stories of people blowing their fingers off.

But wait... Maybe not. They're too expensive.
Fireworks may be out of reach for some local communities (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=92019&catid=45)

Ok; some good points in the article about towns (and licensed display artists), but they should have left the individual out of it. Especially since they fail to mention that they are illegal to use (http://www.ohiobar.org/pub/lycu/index.asp?articleid=273) in Ohio. :naughty:

sarongsong
2008-Jun-25, 01:51 AM
Eye tooth?! :)

Tinaa
2008-Jun-25, 02:15 AM
Bexar County (San Antonio) has decided to pull over and cite people for just bringing fireworks into the city. Not sure how just possessing a legal item could get one cited. I see a few law suits over this one.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA.062308.1B.fireworks.3fec7b4.html

Eta C
2008-Jun-25, 03:07 AM
Well, I'm spending the 4th down in Florida where, I've been told, explosive fireworks are still legal. My fiancee's son (yes, this old curmudgeon is getting married but that's another story) was down there a couple of years ago and described it as "D-Day over the Gulf of Mexico." I'll try to keep my head low and provide an after action report.

Kaptain K
2008-Jun-25, 03:14 AM
Bexar County (San Antonio) has decided to pull over and cite people for just bringing fireworks into the city. Not sure how just possessing a legal item could get one cited. I see a few law suits over this one.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA.062308.1B.fireworks.3fec7b4.html

From the article:

...spotters working undercover would look for people purchasing fireworks in the county and bringing them into the city
This is the way Austin has done it for years!

Ronald Brak
2008-Jun-25, 03:16 AM
Sounds like you need a technical fix. Fireworks that burn but don't explode with any real force should reduce injuries. Sounds like something NASA could look into.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot,
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot.

Maksutov
2008-Jun-25, 04:10 AM
Down here in the swamps of the Magnolia State all fireworks are legal. But the 4th isn't that big a deal for shooting them off. Must be the association with the government that started the War of Northern Aggression. But New Year's Eve is another matter entirely. As well as Cinco de Mayo.

Graybeard6
2008-Jun-25, 04:27 AM
In order to buy exploding or airburst fireworks in Florida one has to sign a statement that they will be used to scare birds on one's farm. The number of farms increases exponentially just prior to major holidays.
In Pennsylvania, there are fireworks stores on I-90. I don't know about the Ohio side, but on the New York side they have two sales rooms; one for PA residents with the wimpy items and one for non-residents with the good stuff. Show your out-of-state license and buy to you heart's content.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 04:31 AM
Woo Hoo!

The megablasts have started already, two nights ago somebody lit off one of those ten foot long strings of red firecrakers you get at the local China Town which explode for bout 4 or 5 minutes straight just down the street but so far nobody has blown their houses off thier foundations as yet.

I recall one year were somebody literaly blew their house into the street only to be outdone the next season by someone who vaporized his own home and blew both of his nieghbor's houses into the street, (On 19th Ave in the city no less.)

Some men can't handle oneupmanship well.

RalofTyr
2008-Jun-25, 06:49 AM
If you get blown up using fireworks, well, that's Darwinism. And that's what made this country great. All the idiots got blown up on the 4th, weeding out the weak and only the strong survived.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Jun-25, 10:24 AM
Celebrate the independence of your country by blowing up a small piece of it.

/Apu

Ronald Brak
2008-Jun-25, 10:34 AM
If you get blown up using fireworks, well, that's Darwinism. And that's what made this country great. All the idiots got blown up on the 4th, weeding out the weak and only the strong survived.

I don't think you're trying hard enough.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jun-25, 12:25 PM
In order to buy exploding or airburst fireworks in Florida one has to sign a statement...
People skirt around the law in Ohio too. There are fireworks stores around, and any purchases of the illegal stuff requires a form. Out of state residents get 72 hours to get it out of the state. In state residents get 48 hours to get it out.

Of course, this is what is signed to. I think this will only allow a stiffer penalty for someone caught with it by opening up a perjury charge.

Last time I purchased some (some many years ago) I needed to provide an address that I was taking the wares to. Luckily I had the address of out of state friends.

aurora
2008-Jun-25, 01:01 PM
The main thing that concerns me is the fire danger.

Years ago we lived in a condo and someone set a tree on fire (a large evergreen tree) with fireworks. The tree was about 6 feet from the building.

tdvance
2008-Jun-25, 06:17 PM

I might have it backward, but I think fireworks are legal in Maryland, outlawed in DC. So, DC police tend to watch Maryland fireworks stands close to the border and call in license numbers so other police can stop the drivers when they return to the city.

At least that's what someone told me :)

mike alexander
2008-Jun-25, 06:33 PM
I'm of two minds on this. As a kid we had access to all sorts of fireworks (from dinky little ladyfingers to M-80s) and generally had a good time. On the other hand (if it's still there) the things can be dangerous. They are explosives, after all.

As an aside, invoking fireworks as Darwinian selectors is silly. It's akin to calling a Cretaceous asteroid a Darwinian selector. But it's still fun to do so, like other Darwin awards.

tommac
2008-Jun-25, 06:46 PM
What I find funny is that in a country where we are so consumed with protecting people with signs that say stupid stuff and all of these other laws that we are so fond of fireworks. ... like my dryer has a warning about not drying a hot air balloon or something stupid like that. I am not even sure a hot air balloon would fit in my dryer.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 06:55 PM
I don't think you're trying hard enough.

Don't look now, but I think a dingo stole your baby.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 07:06 PM
One year when I was about 14 or so we scored an absurd amount of fireworks from some friends who had relations in Arkansas. (Still always a good bet) As part of the traditional pre-4th bombardment. We would cruise to the street two blocks over at 1AM in a car, pop the trunk and get out two or three "rolls" of Black Cat firecrackers that would roll open to about 30 feet. Light the long fuses and drive away slowly and peacefully.

I'm sure the now me would have thought the then me was a little prick.

Trantor
2008-Jun-25, 08:20 PM
I do love to set off fireworks. Next week, I will be going on a vacation to visit family in North Carolina and then drive to the greatest rollercoaster park in the world - Cedar Point Ohio. We will be buying most of our fireworks in South Carolina and then setting them off while in NC on July 4th.

Today's fireworks are fun to use, but pale in power to the stuff that I remember using when I was a kid in the late 70's. Back then, stories of people blowing up their fingers and hands were pretty common. I remember using cherry bombs, M-80's, and the best of all for shear destructive force - the Blockbusters. I used to see people throw a blockbuster into the Hudson River and after a huge explosion/splash, we would see dead fish float up. I don't know how powerful they were, but they were made illegal sometime in the late 70's, after many people were hurt badly by them. I think the M-80 was legal until the early 80's. I was told back when all this stuff was legal, that the blockbuster had twice the power of the M-80.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 08:30 PM
That would make it equal to a quarter stick of dynamite Trantor.

I have a friend who got an AA in chemistry for the sole purpose of making explosives.
He would empty M-80's of their powder and re-fill them with "new and improved" preperations. Finally moved to Arizona where his hobby wouldn't get him in trouble.

tommac
2008-Jun-25, 08:39 PM
Yeah china town would come alive. Right near the holland tunnel people would wave you on over.

I lost 1/2 my tooth in 78 from those same fireworks. It was awesome.

I do love to set off fireworks. Next week, I will be going on a vacation to visit family in North Carolina and then drive to the greatest rollercoaster park in the world - Cedar Point Ohio. We will be buying most of our fireworks in South Carolina and then setting them off while in NC on July 4th.

Today's fireworks are fun to use, but pale in power to the stuff that I remember using when I was a kid in the late 70's. Back then, stories of people blowing up their fingers and hands were pretty common. I remember using cherry bombs, M-80's, and the best of all for shear destructive force - the Blockbusters. I used to see people throw a blockbuster into the Hudson River and after a huge explosion/splash, we would see dead fish float up. I don't know how powerful they were, but they were made illegal sometime in the late 70's, after many people were hurt badly by them. I think the M-80 was legal until the early 80's. I was told back when all this stuff was legal, that the blockbuster had twice the power of the M-80.

tommac
2008-Jun-25, 08:40 PM
I actually think they would advertise the M80s as a quarter stick and the blockbuster ( or pineapples ) as a half stick. BUt who knows ... these guys were just selling them out of borrowed trucks on the side of the road. I am not sure if any of them ran quality checks on the merchendise.

That would make it equal to a quarter stick of dynamite Trantor.

I have a friend who got an AA in chemistry for the sole purpose of making explosives.
He would empty M-80's of their powder and re-fill them with "new and improved" preperations. Finally moved to Arizona where his hobby wouldn't get him in trouble.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 08:45 PM
I've played with M-80's. That's an exageration to sell to kids. More like half that. I have friends who are miners who agreed with me when the subject came up previously.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jun-26, 12:57 AM

Oh no, what am I going to feed my crocodile now?

Ronald Brak
2008-Jun-26, 12:58 AM

It will probably turn up on ebay.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jun-26, 11:42 AM
...I have a friend who got an AA in chemistry for the sole purpose of making explosives.
He would empty M-80's of their powder and re-fill them with "new and improved" preperations...
This happened (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/04/macedonia_man_arrested_after_h.html) within a quarter mile of my house two months ago.

A Macedonia man was arrested Tuesday after a homemade mixer he was using to concoct fireworks exploded in his back yard, ripping off the back of his home and sending debris flying as far as 300 yards.

I have pictures of the media circus.

tdvance
2008-Jun-26, 06:51 PM
What I find funny is that in a country where we are so consumed with protecting people with signs that say stupid stuff and all of these other laws that we are so fond of fireworks. ... like my dryer has a warning about not drying a hot air balloon or something stupid like that. I am not even sure a hot air balloon would fit in my dryer.

Warning labels make for interesting childhoods--the toilet bowl cleaner bottle says "do not mix with bleach." The bleach bottle says, "do not mix with toilet bowl cleaner." ok...something cool has to happen when you mixed them...so I did! Still, Darwin didn't come after me for it, luckily.

chrissy
2008-Jun-26, 09:17 PM
we have fire work season to come around again soon, and it usually starts in October and continues through until January, these idiots don't think that people have to sleep at 3am and then there are the fools who like to put the fireworks in postboxes when people have put their letters in over night and have the fire brigade come out a waste of resorces when there could be a more serious fire going on and putting people in danger!
Then my poor animals are scared out of their skins when they are set off.
A law was passed to prevent sales of fire works to those under age, but sometimes it is the adults who are the ones who should be fined etc for disturbing the peace, you would be done if you were arguing loudly!
I prefer going to organised displays, its much safer.

Parrothead
2008-Jun-27, 10:24 PM
Canada Day is on Tuesday. Going to a BBQ and pool party at sis and b-i-l-'s tomorrow. So we'll be setting off fireworks a few days early (supposed to rain though). Funniest thing over the years, before they had the pool, the get together was on the May two-four weekend (Victoria Day). One year, someone planted a firework upside down, in the ceramic planter filled with sand that was being used to set the fireworks off from. People were quickly on the ground, if not already there, when pieces of the planter were flying in all directions. Luckily no one got hit and everyone was roaring with laughter.

Couldn't find a video for this tune, so lyrics will have to do:

Jimmy Buffett's The Night I Painted The Sky (http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=lyrics&n_id=142) (it happens to be playing in the background here).

NEOWatcher
2009-Jul-02, 05:02 PM
WARNING: OLD THREAD.
(OK; you should have expected it since it's one of those seasonal things)

Isn't this coincidence amazing?

Exclusive: Explosive Arrest in Cleveland (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=10630451)

And it all has to do with fireworks, just days before the Fourth of July.

Yes; just days...

If you're interested in the video (http://www.woio.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3921196&h1=Fireworks%20Explosive%20Arrest&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=60000&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&activePane=info&rnd=52194211)...
Basically; garbage collector dude bought illegal fireworks on the street, and the box blew up in the truck. He claimed he liked to use fireworks each year in the backyard.

Claim? Hey, reporter dude... sure, it's illegal, but it's not unusual

Fazor
2009-Jul-02, 05:20 PM
There's certain words that seem to be ingrained in a journalist's writing, and "claim" is one of them. It often seems they use it only because they think they have to use it to make it sound "newsy".

mike alexander
2009-Jul-02, 07:30 PM
They will have my M80's when they pry them from the stubs of my cold, dead fingers.

OK, just kidding.

Doodler
2009-Jul-02, 07:36 PM
Ah, the Fourth of July...its like bleach for the American gene pool!

NEOWatcher
2009-Jul-06, 05:15 PM
More of a bad reporting story, but thought I'd post it here as because it demonstrates how fireworks and bad reporters don't mix.

Girl Injured By Fireworks In North Royalton (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/19956644/detail.html)
Good, but it turns out the young girl is a 14 year old boy.
Young Boy Injured By Firework Powder (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=10645681)
By firework powder? How about by burns that left residue?

And in the first one, they interviewed police in a different city as to what the fines were.

And one final quote:

Some fireworks allowed in Ohio, including sparklers, snakes, snaps and smoke bombs. However, fireworks that go boom, are illegal in the Buckeye State.
I might be willing to bet that the word "boom" isn't in the code.

Trebuchet
2009-Jul-06, 06:48 PM
Meanwhile, in this county alone at least four homes were destroyed or seriously damaged due to fireworks over the weekend. Most of this is from illegal fireworks purchased on Indian reservations. It's about time someone sued the tribes.

Everett Herald (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090706/NEWS01/707069874&news01ad=1#Costly.Fourth.of.July.At.least.four.hom es.burn.because.of.fireworks)

Fazor
2009-Jul-06, 06:55 PM
Meanwhile, in this county alone at least four homes were destroyed or seriously damaged due to fireworks over the weekend. Most of this is from illegal fireworks purchased on Indian reservations. It's about time someone sued the tribes.

Everett Herald (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090706/NEWS01/707069874&news01ad=1#Costly.Fourth.of.July.At.least.four.hom es.burn.because.of.fireworks)

If my home was damaged by someone else's firework, I'd consider naming both the individual and the company that sold the fireworks to said individual in the lawsuit. Granted, if the places they buy them are anything like the places around here, they make the buyer sign a form that says they won't be using the fireworks in a state/area where it's illegal to do so.

But as for someone that burns their own house down or blows their own (hand / arm / face / etc) off, well, that's your own dumb fault.

NEOWatcher
2009-Jul-06, 07:50 PM
Most of this is from illegal fireworks purchased on Indian reservations...
Around here, it's normal non-Indian related commercial ventures. In fact, I live only a few miles from a rather sizeable fireworks manufacturer.

From your article:

"A lot of people use illegal fireworks and don't consider the consequences" Hynes said. "These three fires show that there can in fact be consequences."
There's also a lot of people that use legal fireworks and don't consider the consequences. I still hear about injuries and fires from the legal kind.

Of course, the illegal ones tend to get out of hand and cause more damage and quicker. But; a lot of people just shouldn't play with matches.

Fazor
2009-Jul-06, 07:57 PM
You know what's funny? My bro's B-day was the 3rd, and we stopped by the local grocery to get a few things. My g/f wanted sparklers (she's as big of a dork as me) and they had those "poppers" where you pull the string and a small charge shoots out a wad of streamers.

We used a self-checkout, and scanned the poppers fine. When we scanned the sparklers, it said we had to show an ID to the sales person. I thought it was interesting that sparklers are controlled, since they're basically the same thing as lighting a stick on fire, but the poppers were not.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jul-06, 08:24 PM
Part of it is probably that the amounts of chemical energy in a popper is vanishingly small and you'd have to stick it in your ear of eye while popping it to get hurt, while a sparkler burns rather hot and will set everything flammable it touches on fire.

Sixteen percent of all consumer fireworks injuries are caused by sparklers burning hands and legs, a U.S. fireworks safety advocacy group says.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety says many of the injuries would not have occurred if there had been close adult supervision and if some basic safety steps had been taken. Most of the sparkler injuries involve young children.
Source UPI (http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/06/22/Sparklers-16-percent-of-fireworks-harm/UPI-86421245710485/).

Fazor
2009-Jul-06, 08:33 PM
I believe it Henrik, it just struck me as odd. "Anyone can buy the explodey-shooty things! Giant matches? ID!!!" (though I believe you have to show ID to buy giant matches, or regular ones, as well).

NEOWatcher
2009-Jul-06, 08:57 PM
"Anyone can by the explodey-shooty things!
Sure, as long as it's not "boom". You did say "pop".

NEOWatcher
2011-Jul-06, 05:16 PM
Bump for 2011...

This year's honorable mentions (ones that include additional circumstances)

Fargo man beheaded by Fourth of July firework (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43653900/ns/us_news-life)

[neighbor], said he was preparing to leave the [...] mobile home park after tornado sirens went off just before 9:30 p.m.
Burley let off a large firework that caused a big bang and visible shock waves in the air, Hanson told the paper.
He then took another firework and...
I can think of a few other things that I would be concerned with other than fireworks if I were in a mobile home park when tornado sirens go off.

Man's Hand Blown Off By Homemade Explosive (http://www.kmbc.com/r/28452865/detail.html)

the victim and a friend were returning from visits to bars early Sunday and were inside someone's apartment [...] when the resident lit the explosive and tossed it into a hallway.
Police said the victim picked up the explosive and tried to throw it out a window, but it went off.
I can see that drinking was involved, but not necessarily with the one who actually threw it in the hallway.

And this one, not for the circumstance, but for the way it's reported.
Boy Called Hero After Alerting Neighbors To Fire (http://www.koco.com/r/28446606/detail.html)
Typical situation where fireworks catch a bush on fire...

The homeowner was asleep, but said he was awakened by his neighbor, Tyson Cudjo, who banged on the front door and grabbed a water hose to dose the flames.

But; What the article fails to mention is how old the boy is, and don't make it clear whether he was the one with the fireworks in the first place. And if there is going to be an investigation.

But; they do go ahead and state that the homeowner didn't have a working smoke detector. Since this started outside, I doubt it would have made any difference.

By the way, what's the proper dosage when treating a flame with a hose?

Fazor
2011-Jul-06, 05:35 PM

Adult flame, or kindling? And you should always consult a doctor before using with embers 2 and under.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jul-06, 05:54 PM
Until all symptoms disappear.