PDA

View Full Version : So the Other Day A "Movie Thing" Happened To Me

BigDon
2008-Jun-24, 07:38 PM
And it made me feel the hour is late.

I was down in the old neighborhood a couple of days ago. I was trying to politely make contact with the people who presently live in the house I was raised in. I want to arrange a day when I can bring my children over and show them stuff and tell them funny stories of my youth. Still haven't made contact though. Because of this.

I was basically "casing" the place from across the street (and probably looking obvious about it) when one of the "Old Guard" from my youth came out of his store to blatantly check me out as I can look a bit unsavory at times. As it was windy and in the 50's I had my big coat on and with my boots I look like a damn Psychlo from Battlefield Earth. (Which I enjoyed as a stand alone sci-fi film. Much like Wang Chung's Everybody Have Fun Tonight, the only reason it was panned was because of who made it, not the work itself.)

I hadn't seen this man in decades! He and my stepfather were fast friends and would help each other out in matters not requiring actual police attention. I ran into his store and fetched him out to sic on a perv once.

As I was pleased to see him and suspected he didn't recognize me I called him by name, which caused him to blink rapidly a second and his shielding dropped a moment as I could see he was thinking hard. I then went into fast talk mode and explained I used to live across the street, who my step father was and how I used to play in his store when I was young.

Then a weird thing happened. A saw understanding and sadness at the same time.

"Olmos was my father. He passed away twelve years ago. I'm his son Ramone."

:eek:

Doesn't this only happen to the old guys in movies who's minds are beginning to wander? Ramone even had the same grey sideburns his father had at the time I moved. He was just a little kid then!

He shouldn't have gray hair!

Alright, I need to make a bucket list.

Cougar
2008-Jun-24, 07:57 PM
....I can look a bit unsavory at times....

Ya sure couldn't tell that from your avatar. :whistle:

Larry Jacks
2008-Jun-24, 09:03 PM
Back when my grandparents were in their 50s and I was about 6, they looked really, really old. Now that I'm 51 and a grandfather, well....

Back when I was 16 and a new driver, I thought I looked grown up. Today, when I see a 16 year old driving a car, I wonder where he put his pacifier.

Veeger
2008-Jun-25, 01:27 AM
BigDon - you go back to where you grew up and see the store keep, just as you remembered him? I guess, standing there, you forgot about all the intervening years. Know doubt he would have looked much older. You were lost in a moment, I think.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jun-25, 02:15 AM
Back when my grandparents were in their 50s and I was about 6, they looked really, really old. Now that I'm 51 and a grandfather, well....

Back when I was 16 and a new driver, I thought I looked grown up. Today, when I see a 16 year old driving a car, I wonder where he put his pacifier.
Heh, I'm in my late 20s, and I'm realizing that other people in the late twenties are my age, not a few years older than me like they used to be.

Doodler
2008-Jun-25, 02:27 AM

Ain't relativity just grand?

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 04:59 AM
Hey Dood,

One thing the youngsters always disbelieve is when I tell them if you age along side a woman, you don't see her as she is, but as she was. Especially one you like.

Kebsis
2008-Jun-25, 07:47 AM
Gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on the Battlefield Earth thing.

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 09:25 AM
That's okay Kebs,

I won't cross you off the Christmas list for not liking the same movies I do.

(What about my favorite movie, Buckaroo Banzai?)

mfumbesi
2008-Jun-25, 09:58 AM
I am sure BigDon was just joking about Battlefield Earth thing.
I mean he sound like a nice and well balanced fella, he wouldn't keep this from us would he. This is a ban-able offense.

KaiYeves
2008-Jun-25, 12:28 PM
My friend did a "movie thing" yesterday- she pronounced "NASA" as "Nassau". Everybody laughed, and then we reminded her "Nassau is a county on Long Island."

Jay200MPH
2008-Jun-25, 02:02 PM
Don, don't be shy about "making contact" - just knock on the door and introduce yourself! Unless you live in a really sketchy area I don't think anyone will have a problem showing you around a bit.

When I lived in my house in Canada I had a garage sale one morning. An older gentleman stopped by and browsed for a bit - then mentioned he used to live there back in the '50s and '60s. We talked for a bit and he ended up coming by for a coffee the next day, and brought with him some photos of what it used to look like - very cool. It had gone through several owners, several paint jobs and an addition between him and me.

BTW I also did a "movie thing" the other day. See, I was chasing this guy through a warehouse full of crates of dynamite... Oh wait, that was a lie.

- J

Kaptain K
2008-Jun-25, 09:04 PM
What about my favorite movie, Buckaroo Banzai?
Great movie! Many subtle in-jokes I didn't catch the first time!

BigDon
2008-Jun-25, 09:41 PM
Heh, I'm in my late 20s, and I'm realizing that other people in the late twenties are my age, not a few years older than me like they used to be.

Tobin, the first time that will hit home hard is the very first time you have a doctor's appointment and you realize you're older than the doctor.

Larry Jacks
2008-Jun-25, 09:45 PM
Tobin, the first time that will hit home hard is the very first time you have a doctor's appointment and you realize you're older than the doctor.

This is the first time I'm older than a major presidential candidate. Between his age and the fact that I have more real-world accomplishments to my credit than he does, well...

Kebsis
2008-Jun-26, 02:43 AM
In that case, I suggest you download the rifftrax.com Battlefield Earth rifftrack, you will probably get a kick out of it.

Bolasanibk
2008-Jun-26, 06:06 AM
The first time it hit me was when I realized every member of the team I work in is younger than me.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jun-26, 06:30 AM
One thing the youngsters always disbelieve is when I tell them if you age along side a woman, you don't see her as she is, but as she was. Especially one you like.
Heck, I managed to figure that one out no later than high school.

Kind of along those lines is something I didn't say earlier. Ladies around 30 years of age (sometimes even older) have an attractiveness that I appreciate better now than I used to. That could be getting older, or it could be getting more mature. Or it could be getting tired of being single. But that's another thread.

For every reason I find to be upset about pushing 30, there's one to be grateful that I'm still under 30.

Tog
2008-Jun-26, 07:41 AM
Don, don't be shy about "making contact" - just knock on the door and introduce yourself! Unless you live in a really sketchy area I don't think anyone will have a problem showing you around a bit.

Good way: Knock on the door, and introduce yourself. Explain things, and set up a time when you could come back. Don't have any expectation of getting in there that first day, and make that clear. Maybe leave them some contact info for yourself.

Bad way: Knock on the door, looking nervous. Tell them you've "been away" for a while, and then as nervous as possible, ask if they've dug up the back yard, in the corner, by the tree. Where the grass grows really well, and dogs keep digging.:whistle:

novaderrik
2008-Jun-26, 08:59 AM
this quote from Wooderson (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0010601/) in "Dazed and Confused" just popped in my head:
"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."

that character- and that whole movie- is just so wrong it's right, you know?

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 10:06 AM
Okay, I saw a demotivator that said the same thing. Wrong but funny. I find though any females under 30 start to remind me of my daughters.

That is a major buzzkill.

Doodler
2008-Jun-26, 11:30 AM
Okay, I saw a demotivator that said the same thing. Wrong but funny. I find though any females under 30 start to remind me of my daughters.

That is a major buzzkill.

Another variation says something to the effect of knowing you're old when its legal to chase women half your age.

Not that this doesn't have certain ego boosting properties, in the event one actually succeeds at the chase, but like you say, "Cripes, I'm old enough to be her..."

Larry Jacks
2008-Jun-26, 12:52 PM
Some guys find it a buzz kill when professional athletes their age or younger start retiring.

I've only had one doctor younger than me. The whole time, I kept thinking, "Man, you look like Doogie Howser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doogie_Howser,_M.D.)."

I've heard it said that daughters are God's revenge on you for your teenage years.

The typical "Parent's Curse" is when one of your parents (usually your mother) says, "I hope you have kids just like you."

Having daughters gives you perspective on how your former girlfriends' fathers felt about you. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a special version of the parent's curse applied by the fathers of teenaged girls on their daughters' boyfriends.

Paul Beardsley
2008-Jun-26, 01:05 PM
Just got around to reading the story. Nicely told, BigDon - I didn't see the punchline coming, and it actually gave me a bit of a jolt.

It also reminded me of a specific movie - The Time Machine. You know, that scene where the time traveller sees a uniformed man coming back from the trenches, and he assumes it's his friend - not his friend's son.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-26, 05:17 PM
(What about my favorite movie, Buckaroo Banzai?)

Thanks, BD. That brought a grin to the right side of my face. What a flick, huh?

Trebuchet
2008-Jun-27, 04:31 AM

I remember that time well. She was actually some sort of intern. Diagnosed me (correctly) with shingles. Ugh. I never want to have that again.

Another time, which actually happened much later, was the first time I was older than my boss.

Kiwi
2008-Jun-27, 12:02 PM
I've heard it said that daughters are God's revenge on you for your teenage years.

A good question for any father of a dating-age girl: "Would you be happy for her to meet guys who are exactly like you were at that her age?"

mike alexander
2008-Jun-27, 07:55 PM
"Senescence begins
And middle age ends
The day your descendants
Outnumber your friends."

-Ogden Nash

BigDon
2008-Jun-27, 10:05 PM
A good question for any father of a dating-age girl: "Would you be happy for her to meet guys who are exactly like you were at that her age?"

Hmmm, my oldest is hanging out with former Russian marines. What do you think?