PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, The Mods Are All Asleep Again.....

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 10:34 AM
I will not be weird in the absense of authority.

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 11:09 AM
Still no mods...getting harder...

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 11:33 AM
Somebody Stop Me!

Vermonter
2008-Jun-26, 12:16 PM
C-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Sorry, had to!

Good pic though.

Tinaa
2008-Jun-26, 01:50 PM
Give us a break! We have to sleep some time!

LotusExcelle
2008-Jun-26, 01:51 PM
I thought mods were automatomatons with those fingers like the guy had in Ghost in the Shell where you can type like 400wpm. No? My dreams are dashed.

ToSeek
2008-Jun-26, 01:52 PM
Where are those Aussie moderators when you need them?

mike alexander
2008-Jun-26, 03:08 PM
'Aussie moderator' sounds like a component in some new fission reactor.

"The new Oz Aussie-Moderated Pebble Bed Reactor is inherently safe because it's just a big billy full of pebbles, stirred by a bunch of Aussies."

mahesh
2008-Jun-26, 03:21 PM
Where are those Aussie moderators when you need them?
where's kashi?

haven't heard from.....for a while!

Gillianren
2008-Jun-26, 03:53 PM
One or two of the mods haven't been online in literally months.

danscope
2008-Jun-26, 04:11 PM
A good Aussie moderator would just give you a can of Foster's ......

mike alexander
2008-Jun-26, 04:20 PM
I have in on excellent authority that a good Aussie would NEVER inflict a Foster's on someone.

geonuc
2008-Jun-26, 04:23 PM
A bad Aussie moderator would give you a bottle of Fourex.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jun-26, 04:24 PM
Isn't Foster's kind of like Budweiser is here? Or... Coors Light? I don't drink either of those and I get the impression they are awful.

danscope
2008-Jun-26, 06:58 PM
Hi, I have it on good authority that at least you won't get a headache in ten minutes after drinking a Foster's. Kind of partial to a black swan though. :)

Dan

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 07:02 PM
On a really hot day I think a Foster's not bad at all and I normally drink ales.

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 07:04 PM
Due to the moderating effects of the SF Bay and the California Current I think 80F is hot.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jun-26, 07:11 PM
Guinness or any dark, stout, heavy, dense, bitter beer is where its at for me. The more obtuse the better.

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 07:20 PM
Lotus, may I recommend:

Full Sail Amber Ale, (not the pale ale)

Sam Adams Black lager.

I don't drink a lot of Sam Adams at all but whoever came up with THAT variety deserves a medal in my book.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jun-26, 07:26 PM
I've had a few good Sam Adams varieties including the black lager. Totally agree - that stuff is amazing. I'll check into the full sail. Not a big beer drinker - mostly wine - but there are times when I just need a beer.

BigDon
2008-Jun-26, 07:28 PM
I had cut the picture out of something else and added the text. Also in doing so I came up with a wealth of material in case of future "fits" that I'm photoshoping together now.

All I need now is a zulu shield, an assagai and a picture of Anne Coultier.

sarongsong
2008-Jun-26, 08:07 PM
Lotus, may I recommend...Wot?!?---no loyalty to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com/) or [gasp!] San Francisco's own Anchor Steam Beer (http://www.anchorbrewing.com/)?
"Get a rope!..." http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
And isn't [U.S.] Budweiser about to be sold to a European outfit?
----
ETA: Oops---not quite yet:

June 26, 2008
US beer giant Anheuser-Busch on Thursday rejected a 46-billion-dollar takeover bid from Belgian-Brazilian rival InBev as "financially inadequate and not in the best interests" of shareholders...
Breitbart (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080626204922.2dv3075a&show_article=1)

mike alexander
2008-Jun-26, 09:45 PM
It appears Bud will be sold to the Belgians, who will change the name to Walloonweiser, which actually sounds like fun. Better than Flemweiser, anyway.

sarongsong
2008-Jun-26, 09:56 PM
Is that what the [avatar's] "party hat" is for? :)

matt.o
2008-Jun-26, 11:36 PM
The Fosters drinking Aussie is a myth. Nobody drinks that crap over here!

chrissy
2008-Jun-26, 11:54 PM
they don't really drink it over here too, just the kids!

BigDon
2008-Jun-27, 12:02 AM
The Fosters drinking Aussie is a myth. Nobody drinks that crap over here!

But, but, but MATT!

The commercials say its Australian For Beer, Mate!

Honestly! Are you suggesting my TV lied to me?

Maksutov
2008-Jun-27, 12:50 AM
If you watch commercials, your TV is lying to you.

Sorry, BigDon.

The colours taste any better now?

Maksutov
2008-Jun-27, 12:52 AM
Australian beer makes for a poor moderator. Remember, the beer atom was first split in Tasmania.

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-27, 01:14 AM
But, but, but MATT!

The commercials say its Australian For Beer, Mate!

Honestly! Are you suggesting my TV lied to me?

No, "XXXX" is Aussie for Beer, as they can't spell "Beer".

http://images.google.co.nz/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=Fourex+beer&btnG=Search+Images

sarongsong
2008-Jun-27, 01:25 AM
Hee-hee, the Aussie/Kiwi rivalry lives on! :clap:

I first became aware of this curious contentuousness working in an Australian surfer-owned bistro in Santa Cruz (CA) who'd hired a (hot!) star waitress who hailed from NZ---fireworks every day---in a friendly sort of way.

mike alexander
2008-Jun-27, 02:37 AM
I always sort of assumed that New Zealand was just where the rind peeled off Australia.

ngc3314
2008-Jun-27, 02:10 PM
Hee-hee, the Aussie/Kiwi rivalry lives on! :clap:

I first became aware of this curious contentuousness working in an Australian surfer-owned bistro in Santa Cruz (CA) who'd hired a (hot!) star waitress who hailed from NZ---fireworks every day---in a friendly sort of way.

Figures. In the years when I was honing my craft at Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp (Slime 'em, Slugs!) the most interesting goings-on at local eateries seemed to involve the employees constantly arguing about the most politically acceptable management structures. Naturally, to a customer, this tends to be of practically no interest at all...

crosscountry
2008-Jun-27, 03:23 PM
I have in on excellent authority that a good Aussie would NEVER inflict a Foster's on someone.

my sources agree.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-27, 06:11 PM
Somebody Stop Me!

Lemme guess...

...you're bored?

I liked Sam Adams, too, especially their winter brew.

mike alexander
2008-Jun-27, 06:57 PM
And Hieronimo is Mad Againe (A Spanish Tragedy)

One Skunk Todd
2008-Jun-27, 08:31 PM
I always sort of assumed that New Zealand was just where the rind peeled off Australia.

And then Australia dried out, turned a funny color and had bugs crawling all over it? :D

Still, Australian Rules Forum Moderation... remind me not to stay up too late. :)

danscope
2008-Jun-27, 08:53 PM
Hi, Thumbs up on "Full Sail Ale " . Had the pleasure on a visit to Tacoma ,WA
several years ago. They 'forced' me to sit down by the dock in Gig Harbour,
slurping down these delicious little clams with ridges ,lightly steamed and washed down with Full Sail while viewing M. Ranier in the late sunset , painted with the
colours of the sinking sun. Memorable. :)

Best regards, Dan

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-28, 01:14 AM
Hee-hee, the Aussie/Kiwi rivalry lives on!

Is it the same for Canada/U.S.A.?

(To be honest, even as a Kiwi I actually see it as a little brother/big brother thing. Sometimes we seem a bit insecure...)

sarongsong
2008-Jul-02, 12:03 AM
A little, perhaps, but since Canada is the #1 supplier of U.S. oil imports... :)

mike alexander
2008-Jul-02, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure what the difference is. Many Americans just cannot conceive of anyone not being American if they were allowed to be. Far as I can tell this is usually not smug superiority, but a total incomprehension; it doesn't compute.

Doodler
2008-Jul-02, 01:44 PM

I've been told there are very good reasons they export that stuff...

crosscountry
2008-Jul-02, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is. Many Americans just cannot conceive of anyone not being American if they were allowed to be. Far as I can tell this is usually not smug superiority, but a total incomprehension; it doesn't compute.

we catch 500,000 people per year crossing our borders illegally. And those are the ones we catch!

the bolded statement above may have some truth to it. Our country is large enough that the majority, vast majority, of citizens will never step foot beyond the borders nor meet a foreigner except possibly in passing. Why should they think outside the box? We've haven't had border issues or another country walk into ours in a long time, and most people don't know enough about history to even think like that. Their idea of traveling is driving to the Grand Canyon or a week with family in Connecticut. Then think about the news people get: mostly local with occasional bad things from abroad.

They have no foundation on which to base comprehension. You cannot compute what is not input.

BigDon
2008-Jul-03, 02:20 AM
I just figured out why the New Zealanders have totally disarmed and and disbanded their military!

They picked the wrong totem!

Had they picked the Tasmanian Devil they could have owned all Oceana!

Poor sad blighters. Their totem pictured below.

BigDon
2008-Jul-03, 02:21 AM
I guess the smoo wasn't available.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-03, 02:33 AM
They'd have to pay Al Capp's estate royalties.

BigDon
2008-Jul-03, 02:36 AM
Everbody knows I'm joking right?

Acolyte
2008-Jul-03, 02:47 AM
Fair warning BigDon - don't pick on our Kiwis - only Skips can do that. We are very protective of them. We like to rag them (favourite GF's in NZ name is baarbaaraa) but we don't allow anyone else to do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mike alexander
2008-Jul-03, 02:55 AM
crosscountry wrote:
Our country is large enough that the majority, vast majority, of citizens will never step foot beyond the borders nor meet a foreigner except possibly in passing. Why should they think outside the box? We've haven't had border issues or another country walk into ours in a long time, and most people don't know enough about history to even think like that. Their idea of traveling is driving to the Grand Canyon or a week with family in Connecticut. Then think about the news people get: mostly local with occasional bad things from abroad.

I've mentioned this concept for years to friends from or in Europe. For many generations Americans have lived as a continental civilization; no borders, no passports, no nothing like that. When I moved to western Oregon ten years ago from eastern New Jersey the family got in the van and drove 3005 miles; nobody asked any questions anywhere. Oregon is 2/3 the size of Germany and a bit bigger than the UK. Coast to coast and it has been one language, one currency. This relative homogeneity has to create a different mind set. But it seems to make it difficult to get into the psyche of a person from another country.

pzkpfw
2008-Jul-03, 09:40 AM
Their totem pictured below.

At least ours isn't bald!

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-03, 09:56 AM
At least ours isn't bald!

oooopppsss! What's that supposed to mean?

:think:

Acolyte
2008-Jul-03, 10:04 AM
http://www.pacificislandbooks.com/redkan~1.jpg
Six foot plus tall, can kick a mule out of the county & has been known to box humans out of the boxing ring.
http://members.aol.com/zoonet/pictures/emu.jpg
About six foot tall, out run a racehorse, kicks like a kangaroo, take out a bald eagle in a single peck...

Now them's National Emblems!!!

crosscountry
2008-Jul-03, 06:35 PM
I've mentioned this concept for years to friends from or in Europe. For many generations Americans have lived as a continental civilization; no borders, no passports, no nothing like that. When I moved to western Oregon ten years ago from eastern New Jersey the family got in the van and drove 3005 miles; nobody asked any questions anywhere. Oregon is 2/3 the size of Germany and a bit bigger than the UK. Coast to coast and it has been one language, one currency. This relative homogeneity has to create a different mind set. But it seems to make it difficult to get into the psyche of a person from another country.

there you go. Not many places on the planet one can do that. I think we take it for granted and don't realize how special it is.

Swift
2008-Jul-03, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by pzkpfw
At least ours isn't bald!oooopppsss! What's that supposed to mean?

:think:
I'm guessing he is referring to the Bald Eagle (http://www.audubon.org/centennial/images/species/Bald_Eagle_lg2.jpg), the symbol of the US, which isn't really bald, but is called that because of the white head feathers.

Actually, I think kiwis are very cute (I was most particularly referring to the birds). They also make great shoe polish (http://www.surplusandadventure.com/images/product/main/kiwi_shoe_polish.jpg) and fruit.

pzkpfw
2008-Jul-03, 08:14 PM
I'm guessing he is referring to the Bald Eagle (http://www.audubon.org/centennial/images/species/Bald_Eagle_lg2.jpg), the symbol of the US, which isn't really bald, but is called that because of the white head feathers.

Actually, I think kiwis are very cute (I was most particularly referring to the birds). They also make great shoe polish (http://www.surplusandadventure.com/images/product/main/kiwi_shoe_polish.jpg) and fruit.

Yep - BD is 'merican, eh?

Kiwi points of note (not guaranteed not to be urban legends):

Shortest beak in the world. (Nostrils are at end - for help in finding worms).

Why evolve that HUGE egg? They didn't - they are a large bird that evolved a smaller size but retained the large egg size. Yay.

[
A kiwifruit is called a kiwifruit, and every time a foreign cooking show (which at present, is basically all of them) calls one a "kiwi", a fairy loses its' wings.
]

Swift
2008-Jul-03, 08:29 PM
A kiwifruit is called a kiwifruit, and every time a foreign cooking show (which at present, is basically all of them) calls one a "kiwi", a fairy loses its' wings.
Thank goodness, we need something to counteract all the bell ringing.

KIWI, KIWI, KIWI (and I mean the fruit!)

pzkpfw
2008-Jul-03, 09:09 PM
KIWI, KIWI, KIWI (and I mean the fruit!)

There goes the rest of our airforce.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-03, 09:36 PM
That's OK---you've still got "The Man From Wellington" and his (unidentified) "Flying Accomplices"! :lol:

2008-Jul-03, 09:55 PM

And, "bald" used to have more to do with whiteness than lack of hair.

Online Etymology Dictionary (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bald)

1297, ballede, probably from Celt. bal "white patch, blaze" especially on the head of a horse or other animal (from PIE base *bhel- "gleaming, white") + M.E. -ede adjectival suffix. The PIE base is also the source of Skt. bhalam "brightness, forehead," Gk. phalos "white," L. fulcia "coot" (so called for the white patch on its head), Alb. bale "forehead," O.C.S. belu "white," Lith. balnas "pale."

korjik
2008-Jul-04, 12:57 AM

So, to get you to act normal, we need to get rid of authority?

crosscountry
2008-Jul-04, 03:33 AM
so the cats are away?

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Jul-04, 08:11 AM
so is neverfly.

Joe Boy
2008-Jul-04, 01:19 PM
So, to get you to act normal, we need to get rid of authority?

No authority around here? Sounds like a fun little town, I may have to sit back with a Colt 45 (malt liquor) and see if there is any fun to be had . . .

sarongsong
2008-Jul-04, 03:49 PM
Ha---no authority?!---we are a "clickocracy"; one nation under Google, with e-mail and video for all! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-05, 06:15 PM
How do they do that?
With those stubby little vestigial wing they'll have a hell of a time screwing on the lids.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-06, 10:12 PM
Kiwi shoe polish lids are pried off, not screwed off.

Unscrewed.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-07, 03:50 PM
If they aren't here , probably their GHOST are here for them.

:p