PDA

View Full Version : How much innovative you are

suntrack2
2008-Jun-29, 05:22 PM
A car stopped in the forest, and got a puncture of tyre. at that place no one is present, no help can be receive, no way to go anywhere other than the streat road, that car is having one stepny(a supplementary tyre) in the rear diccky, but there are no tools to fit the stepny to the place, except some "bolt fitting items", like a hand operated revolving fitting instrument.

"So how you will you fit the fourth tyre at the place"(this is the main point), so restore your journey being continue !!

sunil.

(there are no telephone, no assistance, you are alone there, but you have to go, the fuel is sufficient to go in the fuel tank of the car, but only the 3 tyres are in good condition and stepny is available but "nuts are not available therein").

sarongsong
2008-Jun-29, 06:34 PM
...but you have to go...In the words of a famous road rally, I would "Press-on-Regardless" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25th_Press-on-Regardless_Rally)---drive on with a flat tire. :)

mugaliens
2008-Jun-29, 07:02 PM
A car stopped in the forest, and got a puncture of tyre. at that place no one is present, no help can be receive, no way to go anywhere other than the streat road, that car is having one stepny(a supplementary tyre) in the rear diccky, but there are no tools to fit the stepny to the place, except some "bolt fitting items", like a hand operated revolving fitting instrument.

Sounds to me like a tire iron... (a long-handled lug-nut wrench used to remove and tighten lug nuts)

"So how you will you fit the fourth tyre at the place"(this is the main point), so restore your journey being continue !!

sunil.

(there are no telephone, no assistance, you are alone there, but you have to go, the fuel is sufficient to go in the fuel tank of the car, but only the 3 tyres are in good condition and stepny is available but "nuts are not available therein").

Piece of cake.

First, it's a two-fold problem, the first one being how to jack the car without a jack, and the second is what to do about the missing lug nuts.

1. Makeshift Car Jack: Find a sloped piece of wood in the jungle that's about a foot tall, with sufficient width to be stable. Position it in front of the blown tire. Drive forward until the tire is at/near the highest point. Find a block of wood about 5 in thick, about a foot wide, and long enough so that it fits between the frame near the damaged tire and the road with about 2 in to spare. Let it stand free. Very slowly, roll the car forward until rolls off the ramp and falls into the upright wood. Find additional shoring and stack beneath the elevated frame for safety. To get off the make**** jack, remove the shoring and simply drive forward.

2. Missing lugnuts. Most tires have five. Take one lugnut off each of the other three tires. Install two lugnuts beside one another, and the third opposite, centered, from the other two.

Well, that's the solution.

Here's how I'd heard it told, about 30 years ago:

A man had a flat, pulled over to the side of the road, and began to change his tire. He put the lugnuts in his hubcap so they wouldn't roll away, but he slipped, knocking his hubcap and lugnuts over the cliff. What did he use to secure the spare to the hub?

Answer: One lugnut from each of the other three wheels.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-29, 07:09 PM
Here's one for you:

The steel heating oil tank in an old building rusts through, leaking heating oil all over the basement floor. A janitor notices the smell and calls the fire department which arrives just as the oil ignites. The firemen can get pretty close to the flames (a few feet), but they only have water, which is useless on oil fires.

The heat from the burning oil is threatening to cause the mainly brick structure to weaken and collapse, but as it's a historical landmark, this must not be allowed to happen.

Within one city block is a lumberyard, a sheet-metal factory, a ping-pong ball factory, a foundry, and a place which mass-produces ceramic dinner plates.

How do the firemen save the building?

pzkpfw
2008-Jun-29, 07:11 PM
I read that one in a science fiction book (forget which), as a story told by one character.

The break-down occurs by the fence of an asylum, and the suggestion comes from an inmate.

When the driver expresses surprise the inmate says "Hey, I'm in here for being crazy, not for being stupid".

sarongsong
2008-Jun-29, 07:22 PM
Good translation skills, mugaliens; missed the possibility of a tire-iron being available. As for missing lugnuts---what was holding the wheel/tire in question onto the wheel hub before it went flat?

chrissy
2008-Jun-29, 09:08 PM
Good translation skills, mugaliens; missed the possibility of a tire-iron being available. As for missing lugnuts---what was holding the wheel/tire in question onto the wheel hub before it went flat?

I was going to say the same thing!

Mugs as for making your car go off the make shift ramp, may cause damage to the underside of your car, drive shaft,exhaust manifold, cat-converter, suspension, drive shaft diffs and chassis!
Your car wont be any good to you when you try and drive it off that make shift block.:naughty:

novaderrik
2008-Jun-29, 10:28 PM

Mugs as for making your car go off the make shift ramp, may cause damage to the underside of your car, drive shaft,exhaust manifold, cat-converter, suspension, drive shaft diffs and chassis!
Your car wont be any good to you when you try and drive it off that make shift block.:naughty:
if the car is that cheaply built that a simple fall off a block of wood is enough to make it non functional, then you might as well just leave it where it sits and just start walking instead of going thru all the work of getting the flat tire off the ground.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jun-29, 10:40 PM
how innovative am I??

I ran the Kiwiingenuity (innovative ) Expo in May 2008 for 20 days straight!,
some great ideas that people come up with, patents taken out,..and sales have been made recently.. and now we are planning another innovation expo to take plave in the next 12 months..

I AM AN INNOVATOR....think outside the square you live in!!

sarongsong
2008-Jun-30, 12:08 AM
Are you referring to The Inventor Next Door Expo (http://www.pcn.co.nz/northerncourier/stories/nc300408/nc300408-page3NEWS-inventors+pic.txt.htm) [May 8-25, 2008], the brainchild of inventor John Poppleton?

Tobin Dax
2008-Jun-30, 12:17 AM
Is there an echo, or is this deja vu?

sarongsong
2008-Jun-30, 12:26 AM
Level 2: "Whack-A-Mole" :)

suntrack2
2008-Jun-30, 05:02 PM
Sounds to me like a tire iron... (a long-handled lug-nut wrench used to remove and tighten lug nuts)

Piece of cake.

First, it's a two-fold problem, the first one being how to jack the car without a jack, and the second is what to do about the missing lug nuts.

1. Makeshift Car Jack: Find a sloped piece of wood in the jungle that's about a foot tall, with sufficient width to be stable. Position it in front of the blown tire. Drive forward until the tire is at/near the highest point. Find a block of wood about 5 in thick, about a foot wide, and long enough so that it fits between the frame near the damaged tire and the road with about 2 in to spare. Let it stand free. Very slowly, roll the car forward until rolls off the ramp and falls into the upright wood. Find additional shoring and stack beneath the elevated frame for safety. To get off the make**** jack, remove the shoring and simply drive forward.

2. Missing lugnuts. Most tires have five. Take one lugnut off each of the other three tires. Install two lugnuts beside one another, and the third opposite, centered, from the other two.

Well, that's the solution.

Here's how I'd heard it told, about 30 years ago:

A man had a flat, pulled over to the side of the road, and began to change his tire. He put the lugnuts in his hubcap so they wouldn't roll away, but he slipped, knocking his hubcap and lugnuts over the cliff. What did he use to secure the spare to the hub?

Answer: One lugnut from each of the other three wheels.

Because the answer is in second point above, one can take each 1 nut and solve the problem, mugaliens really did a marvelous job. 100/100 (hundred out of hundred).

sarongsong
2008-Jun-30, 08:02 PM
...one can take each 1 nut and solve the problem...???
...As for missing lugnuts---what was holding the wheel/tire in question onto the wheel hub before it went flat?

mugaliens
2008-Jun-30, 08:49 PM
Good translation skills, mugaliens; missed the possibility of a tire-iron being available.

Thanks!

As for missing lugnuts---what was holding the wheel/tire in question onto the wheel hub before it went flat?

They contained Tom Cruise's instructions to one of his field agents, and self-destructed after the time limit expired.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-30, 08:59 PM

I have no doubt.

The block was only wide enough to support one of the side jack points (either fore or aft), not the entire undercarriage.

And the only reason I figured this out is because I once had a flat tire while driving home from my brother's place on the lake in Virginia, only to discover that I hadn't retrieved my jack from my neighbor who'd borried it from me about three weeks prior. I never found a nicely sloped log to use as a ramp. Rather, I just put the log in sideways and packed gravel and dirt in front and behind it.

And the makeshift jack worked fine - the second time, when I remembered to set the parking brake...

mugaliens
2008-Jun-30, 09:01 PM
Level 2: "Whack-A-Mole" :)

Level 3: Substitute live ones for the hard rubber ones (Levels 3 and higher have been banned in most countries...)

chrissy
2008-Jun-30, 09:26 PM
The moral of this story is never leave your car jack behind when you leave home, make sure you have all the nuts one the tyre (not the sprare one) because wheel will fall off, have a mobile phone with you at all times or you could just have a can of tyre gunk in the boot, for the job, then there would be no need to change the tyre until you get home!
As for just enough fuel in your car, the question is, What were you doing in the woods late at night anyway? ;)

Paul Leeks
2008-Jun-30, 11:18 PM
Yes Saronsong thats correct the Inventor next door thing, John Poppleton is a good guy, I am just about to catch up with him..it was a very interesting experience and I enjoyed showing people around...we plan to have another expo.

Paul

sarongsong
2008-Jun-30, 11:34 PM
Thank you for answering my question (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/73454-everyone-mad-their-own-way-2.html#post1270894). :)