PDA

View Full Version : Why does it smell like steak when I weld?

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 04:44 PM
Oh wait I know why! Because I just welded my hand to my face! Okay not really. But its really unsettling especially since I haven't burnt myself. Nor charred my hair. Yet still it smells like steak.

Has anyone weld-cooked a steak?

Have you ever welded something to yourself?

Why am i asking this in public?

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-01, 04:49 PM
What are you using for Flux? A-1 sauce?

mike alexander
2008-Jul-01, 04:50 PM
Yeah. It's that important (R)

mike alexander
2008-Jul-01, 04:52 PM
Are you welding steel? It could be iron/iron oxide vapor.

A lot of the taste of steak (esp. rare) seems to come from the iron content in blood/myoglobin.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 04:54 PM
Yeah its steel. Not sure the cow content. Might be 80/20.

redshifter
2008-Jul-01, 05:42 PM
Are you butchering cattle with a welder?

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 05:44 PM
can you imagine hunting with a welder? Where like an old stick welder is considered a bow-and-arrow type of hunt.

"Christ, Bill! You welded that yak with a 3-phase? That takes skill!"

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-01, 06:11 PM
Just use a thermic/thermal lance and stab them with it.

BigDon
2008-Jul-01, 06:17 PM
Just use a thermic/thermal lance and stab them with it.

If you don't have Dwarven made weapons it's the only way to take down a large troll.

Fazor
2008-Jul-01, 06:38 PM
...I've been wondering what happened to all the bottles of odds'and'ends liquor I had have gotten off to. Now I think I've figured it out.

*edit: Bah, when I have two different ways to word the same post, I often end up with some nonsensical amaglamation of the two. Corrected.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 06:40 PM
yes the dwarves drank them. I am going to make a stick-welder-trebuchet. Anyone want in? We will hunt the feral corn lions of the Nebraskan Plains.

Kebsis
2008-Jul-01, 06:50 PM
I used to work at a chassis shop, welding and cutting. One day I was in the yard cutting up scrap chassis when I realized my foot was getting hot. I turned off the torch and looked down to see smoke fuming out of my boot, and I started hopping around on one foot (which according to a guy who was there, was very funny). A piece of slag had gotten lodged in a seam in my boot, and I had to pry it out with my car keys.

It did not smell like steak.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-01, 06:51 PM
Do you need an inert atmosphere?

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 06:52 PM
inert atmoshphere? mike you've been to Nebraska? hah!

*edit* note the use of "atmoshphere". This indicates how tired i am. Perhaps I should lock up the shop and head home.

Grashtel
2008-Jul-01, 06:57 PM
Is it wrong that I am now pondering what a good solid oxidizer would be for use in a thermic lance, and what the flight characteristics of one modified in that way would have fired from a ballista and what sort of damage it would do to a wooden ship?

mike alexander
2008-Jul-01, 07:02 PM
Is it wrong that I am now pondering what a good solid oxidizer would be for use in a thermic lance, and what the flight characteristics of one modified in that way would have fired from a ballista and what sort of damage it would do to a wooden ship?

Iron oxide. Use a magnesium thermic lance that starts a thermite reaction on launch. Easy to see the trajectory and the impactor is partly liquid iron.

note the use of "atmoshphere".

What you breathe in a mosh pit?

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Jul-01, 07:34 PM
If you're welding and something starts smelling like pork, be concerned. Be very concerned! :eek:

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jul-01, 07:48 PM

Not as long as you are doing it on the bosses time.

RalofTyr
2008-Jul-01, 07:53 PM
You made a misteak.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-01, 08:17 PM
Has anyone weld-cooked a steak?

I built a hot-dog cooker out of some nails hammered through a board, then bent, and attached to some lamp cord with a 110 V plug on the end...

Takes about 3-5 minutes, and they taste better than boiled or grilled (sort of grilled from the inside out).

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 08:23 PM
But did you get any solid information out of them?

mugaliens
2008-Jul-01, 08:28 PM

I've always wondered what would have happened if I'd replaced the parachute on one of my higher-altitude model rockets with equal amounts of Iron III Oxide (Fe2O3) and powdered aluminum, interspersed with potassium permanganate (KMnO4), with a vial of glycerin between the parachute ejector charge and the powders.

Oh. And glue the nosecone on tightly so as to contain the mixture until it really gets going.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 08:31 PM
I want video.

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-01, 08:47 PM
I don't know about hunting corn-lions, but I do know that it is illegal to fish for whales in Nebraska!

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 08:48 PM
This is likely why I had so much trouble in school.

Fazor
2008-Jul-01, 09:04 PM
This is likely why I had so much trouble in school.

...because you spent so much time in the pokey for fish'n whales? Tsk tsk. Number'n and lettern' come 'fore Whale'n, son.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-01, 09:06 PM
I know how to scrimshaw me sin'ture an' tha's all's I need! ' also '

mugaliens
2008-Jul-01, 09:21 PM

Well, after a while they hissed and made a few sounds which I'd characterize as stressed wheezes, but our translator was on the second set of nails, so...

Grashtel
2008-Jul-01, 09:43 PM
I've always wondered what would have happened if I'd replaced the parachute on one of my higher-altitude model rockets with equal amounts of Iron III Oxide (Fe2O3) and powdered aluminum, interspersed with potassium permanganate (KMnO4), with a vial of glycerin between the parachute ejector charge and the powders.

Oh. And glue the nosecone on tightly so as to contain the mixture until it really gets going.
That sounds as if it would be rather awesome, I say do it and upload the video to YouTube so the rest of us can see what happens.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-01, 09:47 PM
I'd totally forgotten the permanganate reaction. Great starter, and you can really jolt people with it.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Jul-02, 04:13 AM
Nah. All we could get out of them was name, rank, lot number and expiration date.

SkepticJ
2008-Jul-02, 06:08 AM

Alec, what is Terrible Fire Raining from the Sky.

I'll take Oscar-winning films from the 1940s for $400.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jul-02, 01:14 PM
We used to heat up our lunches in the oven used to keep the rods dry and warm. A couple of the go-getters grumbled because their rods were cold after lunch. A man's gotta eat.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-03, 01:15 AM
can you imagine hunting with a welder?...No, but I'd bet it would make a fine bear-repellant! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif