PDA

View Full Version : Pat Boone or Andy Williams--whose cooler?

Great Satan
2003-Sep-26, 10:52 PM
Pat Boone gave the world his wonderfully comical version of Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti." In a bizarre way, he might have done much to promote the career of Little Richard--or as Little Richard himself might have put it, "the kids would have my version, and then they put Pat Boone's version on top to fool the parents."

Andy Williams, on the other hand, gave us the fabulous lounge song "Moon River" as well as "Can't Get Used To Losing You," of which the English Beat an exellent cover.

mike alexander
2003-Sep-26, 11:05 PM
Since both are still alive I assume they have about the same temperature.

Seriously, Pat Boone is cooler. He got to run around naked while holding a sheep in 'Journey to the Center of the Earth.'

Buzzwang
2003-Sep-27, 09:46 AM
[-X You should have included Jack Jones. 8-[ Just as boring as the other two. Well, I love polls so I'll have to vote on this one and I choose Pat because, yup, he did make that really cool movie, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.
Buzzwang :roll:

Buzzwang
2003-Sep-27, 09:48 AM
[-X You should have included Jack Jones. 8-[ Just as boring as the other two. Well, I love polls so I'll have to vote on this one and I choose Pat because, yup, he did make that really cool movie, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.
Buzzwang :roll:

Gmann
2003-Sep-27, 01:28 PM
Without question, Ozzy Osbourne. Try to 'rock' to Pat Boone, then try to 'rock' to Andy Williams, then fire up Crazy Train, and compare the experience 8)

R.A.F.
2003-Sep-27, 02:40 PM
Without question, Ozzy Osbourne. Try to 'rock' to Pat Boone, then try to 'rock' to Andy Williams, then fire up Crazy Train, and compare the experience 8)

Isn't the "theme song" for "the Osbournes", Pat Boone, singing crazy train? I know that Pat released an album "covering" heavy metal songs...even one of Alice Coopers!! HOW cool is that?

Eta C
2003-Sep-27, 03:10 PM
Well, if it's between Boone & Williams I'd have to go with Williams. The only person who's done a better version of Moon River was Audrey Hepburn herself in Breakfast at Tiffiany's. Add in his version of Charade and you've got another winner. Also, I think Boone disqualified himself with his various covers of the 90's. Self-parody is never "cool."

However, my vote ultimately goes to neither. The defining master of cool from the early 60's was Mel Torme.

mutant
2003-Sep-27, 03:43 PM
I think this is sorta like asking, "Which tastes better, spinach or cauliflower?" They both kinda make me want to barf.

Gmann
2003-Sep-28, 12:24 AM
Isn't the "theme song" for "the Osbournes", Pat Boone, singing crazy train? I know that Pat released an album "covering" heavy metal songs...even one of Alice Coopers!! HOW cool is that

I almost forgot that one. Maybe he is cool after all. 8)

Kaptain K
2003-Sep-28, 01:01 AM
The only person who's done a better version of Moon River was Audrey Hepburn herself in Breakfast at Tiffiany's.
Sorry, but Audrey Hepburn couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. [-X Any time you saw her "singing", see was mouthing the words*. The voice you heard was actually somebody else.

* Not the same as "lip-synching". Lip-synching involves matching to prerecorded music. In the movies the music is added in post production.

Celestial Mechanic
2003-Sep-29, 04:52 AM
Pat Boone? Andy Williams? Suddenly I don't feel so well, I think I might have to
Huuuaallllp!!!, oh, my, urk!
Blooouuurrrchhh!!!, sorry,
Ack! Ack!
I think I might have to hurl! Sorry about the singing lunch there. :lol:

Eta C
2003-Sep-29, 01:01 PM
The only person who's done a better version of Moon River was Audrey Hepburn herself in Breakfast at Tiffiany's.
Sorry, but Audrey Hepburn couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. [-X Any time you saw her "singing", see was mouthing the words*. The voice you heard was actually somebody else.

You're right about that for the musicals she was in (My Fair Lady being the obvious one), but I think Hepburn actually did sing the song in Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was raspy, and a little out of tune, but that was the point. It was to establish the innocent side of her otherwise jaded character. The story I've heard is that she threatened to quit the movie if the song was taken out. Watch that movie again sometime and see if I'm not right here.

SeanF
2003-Sep-29, 02:11 PM

You're right about that for the musicals she was in (My Fair Lady being the obvious one), but I think Hepburn actually did sing the song in Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was raspy, and a little out of tune, but that was the point. It was to establish the innocent side of her otherwise jaded character. The story I've heard is that she threatened to quit the movie if the song was taken out. Watch that movie again sometime and see if I'm not right here.

According to IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0054698/trivia), Eta's right:

The song "Moon River" was written especially for Audrey Hepburn, since she had no training as a singer. The vocals were written to be sung in only one octave.

At a post-production meeting following a screening of the film, a studio executive, in reference to "Moon River," said, "Well, I think the first thing we can do is get rid of that stupid song." Audrey Hepburn stood up at the table and said, "Over my dead body!" The song stayed in the picture.

Celestial Mechanic
2003-Sep-29, 05:15 PM
Pat Boone or Andy Williams -- Whose Cooler?

I wasn't aware that the two of them were locked in a custody dispute over a cooler. I trust that they can settle it without resorting to guns or a court of law. Oh, wait! Didn't you mean "Pat Boone or Andy Williams -- Who's Cooler?"? :D

mike alexander
2003-Sep-29, 09:55 PM
No, he meant whose cooler. Pat was keeping his sheep in there and Andy borrowed it, then brought the wrong cooler back. Pat said, "Hey, Andy! Whose cooler is this? And where's my sheep?"

Great Satan
2003-Oct-04, 03:42 AM
Celestial Mechanic,

#-o

8) 8) 8)

Iain Lambert
2003-Oct-07, 12:51 PM
Andy Williams. Pat Boone doesn't sing on any Danny Boyle films, does he?

FP
2003-Oct-07, 02:53 PM
Andy Williams.

Pat Boone never had The Osmonds as regulars on his TV show, Huh?

Just how cool is that?? :roll:

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 07:45 AM
I couldn't help it when I saw this, but it has to be Andy Williams! Moon River wins hands down!

:) :) :)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 07:51 AM
I couldn't help it when I saw this, but it has to be Andy Williams! Moon River wins hands down!

:) :) :)
You're at it again my little monster. Maksutov is going to jump all over you. You know this, don't you?

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 08:15 AM
I'm just trying to get you to 10,000 Candy! You're awfully close there!:clap: :clap:

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 08:18 AM
You'll get there, Jkmccrann.

captain swoop
2005-Oct-26, 02:01 PM
That's like asking do you like pins or needles in the eye?

publiusr
2005-Oct-26, 09:35 PM
I know.

For some reason I confuse Robert Goulet, Tony Orlando, and Wayne Newton. I think that is the same person :0

Or Carl Malden and Richard Herd, or Bryan Dennehy and the older guy from Cracy Like a Fox.

And who doesn't love "In a Metal Mood?"

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:59 PM
publiusr, you're showing your age. We must be of similar times. ;)

Wow, the poll still lets you vote. I have succumbed to the temptation, and I voted for Pat Boone.

Mr. Milton Banana
2005-Oct-26, 10:43 PM
"Pat Boone or Andy William--who's cooler?"

It depends which one is closer to the icebox at the time.

:p

Enzp
2005-Oct-27, 09:12 AM
Moon River? Well, Pat had a big hit with Moody River.

In a Metal Mood was great, when it was announced that Pat was bringing out an album coveruing all these heavy metal tunes, the forces of uptightness pounced. They wailed, "Oh how can Pat have abandoned us?" Of course the music isn;t metal, just the songs. They are all big band arrangements of the songs. The joke is on the dopes. But it was fun, and we enjoyed listening to it.

Whose cooler? Belongs top the stage hands, leave it alone.

Wasn't that Pat who was on some TV talk show and was swinging something around over his head for some reason, and it caught his rug and sent it flying, leaving him standing there with his bald head showing. He had a great sense of humor about it, so he gets my vote.

Candy
2005-Oct-27, 04:52 PM
Wow, I just realized you can click on the number in the poll and all voters are recorded. I learn something everyday. Now, what is odd is that some of the voters are missing.

Enzp, I love Boone's Big Band tunes. I saw a show where he was in the studio cutting the album. Sorry, I'm not sure of the terminology.

Enzp
2005-Oct-28, 06:16 AM
Then you would enjoy Frank Zappa's orchestral version of Stairway to Heaven. (Or as we call it around here, Stairwell to Heaven)